• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo emphasises the importance of Nintendo Accounts for its next-gen console

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During an investor Q&A following the publication of its latest financial results, the company was asked if it would use data gathered from Nintendo Accounts to influence its future software and hardware.

Director Ko Shiota responded by saying that Nintendo would consider how to more easily connect its game business to experiences outside of gaming in future – something he noted would be important for its next console.

While he didn’t specify which outside areas this would include, Nintendo slides highlighted its Universal Studios theme park, upcoming Super Mario Bros. Movie, and merchandise as ways it believes it can expand Nintendo Account use.

“In the Nintendo Switch generation, it feels like we have gotten closer to our consumers via Nintendo Account,” Shiota said. “I think an integrated hardware-software business that captures the spirit of Nintendo will continue to be central to many of the activities that spring from the strategy described in today’s briefing.

“The most important thing with our dedicated video game platform is to deliver a unique gaming experience. In our development of both hardware and software going forward, we must consider ways to more easily connect our core video game business with the consumer experiences outside of our dedicated video game platform through Nintendo Account.

“We are not at a stage where we can talk about the next-generation platform. But we think it is most important to create unique integrated hardware-software products. The activities we leverage through Nintendo Account should be well connected to those products.”

According to presentation documents, Nintendo sees its Accounts as a means of maintaining “good, long-lasting relationships” with the people invested in its IP.

In its latest financial results briefing, the company said it would use the accounts to unify the experience “across platform generations”, in addition to adding “value-added” products and services for users.

Screenshot-2022-11-11-105758-480x278.jpg

Woopah

I would be very surprised if they don't have physical and digital backwards compatibility in their next hardware. There's too many advantages to them and their investing a lot in the Nintendo account.

Orta

Banned
The Switch, pc aside is the first system I've heavily invested in digitally. If I don't have every game instantly transferred to their next console via my account Nintendo can go suck on a donkeys dongler.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robb

Gold Member
God I hope so.. But I’ll believe it when I see it. Wouldn’t be surprised if they just start from scratch with everything yet again on their next system, despite this.

UnNamed

Banned
Apparently, it's very difficult for them to have a unique account over multiple platform so you don't have to buy a game 14 times every gen.

Maybe with the next console we can hope you can use your exiting account and your already bought games.

Daytonabot

Banned
I like the image of using the theme park, the movie, etc. to pull people into the gaming ecosystem a lot better than the words.

I now have a new concern that they're going to get cute again and not just upgrade the Switch. There's a good chance that would put Nintendo into the same category as Microsoft and Sony where I'll buy some of their games when and only when they come to Steam. I'm not an entitled child, so I won't pirate them. If they're not worth my money, they're not worth my time.

LordCBH

I think most people would be really happy if they just did a switch 2 instead of doing the typical nintendo bullshit where they try to re-invent everything with the next console….again. Though I’m sure nintendo would love to re-invent everything and then port all the switch titles to it since they’ll sell gangbusters either way.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo online has become a real player as of late but no match to psn or Xbox live.

Neff

There is no way the next console isn't fully backwards compatible with the Switch. Nintendo aren't going to abandon 114 million Switch owners like that.

Exactly. After such a huge comeback they'd be idiots to throw it all away and gamble on a new player base.

The Switch, pc aside is the first system I've heavily invested in digitally. If I don't have every game instantly transferred to their next console via my account Nintendo can go suck on a donkeys dongler.
That’s the risk you take buying digital it’s why it should never be forced on anyone

Moses85

Thats the reason why I never buy digital games

Ozzie666

Safe to say everyone is afraid of the transition, Nintendo included. The obvious solution is to keep what is working with a minor increase in power and improved features. But Nintendo's history shows otherwise, and they follow the beat of their own drums. Nintendo needs to protect itself from itself. I don't have the answers, but too much change of direction would be too risky. I do wonder if we could see the return of a true box console in some fashion. Whatever happens, Nintendo is years behind in hardware, but even further behind in online and networking services.

LordOfChaos

I'd feel pretty sure they'll carry forward the Switch's wild success with compatibility into next gen, more of a more powerful Switch that can absorb everything it could already do. So the importance of accounts makes sense. Nintendo consoles were honestly in the stone ages on this before

jigglet

Banned
I find it astounding how insular Japanese companies can be. For it to take literal decades for them to come to such basic conclusions, it’s no wonder they’re barely even contributing to todays tech. Back in the 80’s it felt like the Japanese were responsible for half of the major tech innovations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom