• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo eShop to effectively shut down in Russia

Draugoth

Gold Member
eshop_logo.png

The Nintendo eShop is essentially being axed in Russia. Nintendo of Europe broke the news in an email sent to publishers, and explained it will be halting eShop sales in Russia from May 31, 2023.

Nintendo stopped product shipments to Russia in early 2022 and placed the Nintendo eShop under maintenance following the suspension of transactions in Russian rubles by payment providers.

The company, however, has now stated it plans to "wind down" its Russian subsidiary and prevent consumers in Russia from making new purchases or using download codes on the Nintendo eShop.

Nintendo halting eShop sales in Russia​

"As a result of the economic outlook, Nintendo of Europe has decided to wind down operations of its Russian subsidiary," reads the email. "As part of our efforts to honor preceding commitments to our customers in the Russian market, the Russian version of Nintendo eShop will be set to offer limited service.

"As of May 31, 2023, and for the foreseeable future, Russian customers with an existing Nintendo Account will be able to redownload digital content that they have previously purchased. It will not be possible to make any new purchases or use download codes within [the] Nintendo eShop in Russia."

The company added that payment information tied to Nintendo Accounts, such as credit card and PayPal details, will also be deleted for security reasons.

A number of high-profile companies have suspended operations in Russia following its invasion of Ukraine in 2022.

Major players like Activision Blizzard, Epic Games, Take-Two, Sony, Microsoft, and EA all halted sales in the region, while others like Wargaming and MyGames also closed physical offices to exit the market entirely.

Fbh

They'll say it's because of the sanctions and the war but I think they found out about rutracker and were just like

Saints And Sinners Reaction GIF by Bounce

acidagfc

To everyone saying 'good, that'll teach em', please note that businesses only do that because of sanctions and being unable to exchane currency, not because they have some moral high ground.
Every international business pulled out of Russia, including Mcdonalds and such. Its surprising that Nintendo lasted this long.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
You'd be surprised. There was no proper non-rigged elections in the past 15 years.

He seemed ok back in 1999, little did we know back then.
Can relate, I'm from Venezuela, barely anyone votes there now unless coerced by need of food of keeping the job at public instance. Opposition there is a joke and sanctions may be harming people quality of life if it wasn't because the government does it since way before they were set.

Hope that get fixed BTW, I remember Nintendo announcing they were having issues on Russia therefore pausing their business there and all wokes chronical virtue signalers at era crying because it wasn't for Ukrainian people, as if they actually believed all others did the same because of that... Maybe they did? Lol

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Good. Fuck ‘em. I hope they get fucked back to the Stone Age by everyone, until that goat fucker has been deposed, and they actually join the 21st century. It’s frankly taking the rest of the world far too long to leave Russia completely.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Russia is only behind China when it comes to piracy, they will have no qualms in pirating the shit out of Nintendo software.

I doubt Nintendo had much of a choice here tho with the sanctions and payment issues.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yes, Putin will get on this, stat. The issue is all the crap falls on the shoulder of regular citizens. Government and Oligarchs don't care.
But ultimately the common folk can stop it if they really really wanted to. Many countries have been overthrown by disgruntled citizens. Remember Soldiers are citizens as well.

It’s a propaganda fight for the citizens mindshare and Putin has had open reign. Stopping outside goods is a “ why is this happening if we are the good guys? “ move that he can’t control.

ThaGuy

I don't like how innocent citizens have to suffer from this. It's not like they can protest and have people in power listen without consequences. They get jail time or worse. I know a few Russian people that I live near and conversate with and they have all been good people with good work ethic.

OuterLimits

I'm fine with this. As long as the leaders of the country are acting barbaric and, honestly, evil, it doesn't seem right to keep going business as usual.

Sucks for innocent citizens, but I don't see the better alternative.

The whole invasion of Iraq and then destabilization of the Middle East which gave rise to ISIS trying to start a damn 14th century style caliphate should probably have earned us numerous years of eshop closure I guess.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
But ultimately the common folk can stop it if they really really wanted to.
It's so stupid and dumb to think that "really really wanting" something can have anything to do with what's going on in a country you're not even live in during a war, can't experience the full force of Stalin-like repression laws and atmosphere of fear, where you can be reported by anyone you don't even know for something you've said or done and get your life ruined (or ended) with 5-25 year sentence. Don't even pretend to know anything about it and saying something like this without knowing what you're talking about.

People in Russia can act only after united Europe, US and other countries will weaken the regime, it's authority, take away all the means to oppress people in ways they're doing right now, while also changing the minds of those who unknowingly supporting war cuz they don't have access to the truth and don't know how to use internet. We're doing what we can to change the minds of those people ourselves as well, but they've been brainwashed for 23 years and it's a really difficult task to change their minds if not impossible in some cases. They're not supporting the regime, they just don't have access to the truth and saying what TV and propaganda telling them to say. It's pointless and dumb to act when the only thing you can achieve right now is to get in jail, get your life and the lives of your relatives ruined.

We still have lives to live and we need to use them to build better Russia for us and for the rest of the world as well. When the time comes, you'll all see how Russian people can protest and what they can do. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Last edited:

H4ze

Good, drain them of everything until they revolt. Sucks for the good people in Russia but I honestly don't give a shit, this has to be done.

StereoVsn

But ultimately the common folk can stop it if they really really wanted to. Many countries have been overthrown by disgruntled citizens. Remember Soldiers are citizens as well.

It’s a propaganda fight for the citizens mindshare and Putin has had open reign. Stopping outside goods is a “ why is this happening if we are the good guys? “ move that he can’t control.
Lol, no, in places like Russia and China, it's almost impossible for this to happen. Unless the Security and Military Apparatus decide to join in.

Top Bottom