• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY23Q3 Results

reksveks

Summary:
- Pokemon S/V sells 20.6m copies
- Net sales down 8.3%
- Switch hardware down 22.87% yoy for the quarter
- Forecasts decreases across the board, Switch HW forecast is now 18m (down from 19m)
- Software units down 10% YoY
- Switch at 122.5m units sold

Some slides

Y1mURd9.jpg
uOj9G6f.jpg
HjFzNPc.jpg
QQC2r8H.jpg
vk3r5pr.jpg

Source:https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2023/230207_4e.pdf

Will wait for the charts from Luminoth

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Bayonetta 3 only sold 1M? Where were all the people lining for it for years?

Also Pokemon selling 20M already... Fuck, well the market spoke loud and clear.

ADiTAR

Banned
The problem with Nintendo is they don't know how to strike when the iron is hot, they should've released a new console this March (or better last holiday). Yes, Switch is selling, but you need to give people new shit to be excited about. WiiU was also too late.

It makes sense software is also down, games were ok this year, but just ok, nothing exciting.

Baki

Switch 2 will be out within next 12-18 months. Likely 12 months for a spring release.

Great Pokemon results but everything else seemingly being down is not great. Looks like it's definitely time for Switch 2 despite what some stans want to keep saying.

Percentage-wise some of these look worst than Xbox's results but in terms of absolute numbers they're still much better considering where Switch was already at in hardware sales, software sales primarily. Hopefully they both see better results next quarter and Sony? Well, just keep doing what's clearly working (which in their case is pretty much everything).

Welp, time for some 'zzzzs

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Smashing past Ps4, as expected. And Pokemon being Pokemon..

Looks like things are slowing down quite a bit from here though. It’ll be interesting to see what they have lined up for this year.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Love nintendo. Just goes ro show how much Sony bucked the trend this quarter and god of war plus increased supply just allowed them to knock it out of the park.

Switch needs switch 2 and I'm there day one.

MrA

Banned
Slam nearly a 75 cent dividend, couple of neo geo games here it come
If switch has a comparable drop next fy they'll be at around 140 million units, i personally think a March 2024 announcement September launch is the best call for the next hardware (6months from reveal to launch lines up with switch) and concurrently announce a smaller switch 1 hardware revision , minimize the feeling of regret from the previous holiday buyers
Odds of beating ds/ps2 are still ok but sailing past them is out-of the question if switch is 140 million at the successors launch and tails like the wii or ds it will end at 147 to 150 million, if it tails like the 3ds or gameboy advance it'll hit 160 million, if it drops harder this year to say 10 milliontouch the ds or ps2 is out of the question unless Nintendo does something drastic
Man just shy of 1 billion software

Love nintendo. Just goes ro show how much Sony bucked the trend this quarter and god of war plus increased supply just allowed them to knock it out of the park.

Switch needs switch 2 and I'm there day one.

It's normal for Nintendo to be down though. Switch is 6 years old and declining. Xbox should not be down at only year 2 and during the holiday quarter too. That's actually against normal trends and a worrying sign.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's normal for Nintendo to be down though. Switch is 6 years old and declining. Xbox should not be down at only year 2 and during the holiday quarter too. That's actually against normal trends and a worrying sign.

Not a worrying sign at all imo.

Exactly what should be happening if you don't have a single big first party game in a year.

If they have rhe year they have planned and its down this year then yeah. Agree. Somethings up.

disap.ed

Worrying trend. Switch 2 should be released rather sooner than later! As a release with TLOZ:TotK is probably out of the cards, a holiday release should be considered. A spring 2024 release is the latest I can imagine

Elios83

Nintendo and Sony switched places in their full FY hardware forecasts. Seems like a last second F1 overtaking lol.
Switch is obviously at the end of its lifecycle and to reverse the trend Nintendo must release new hardware.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Pokémon killing it.

Xbox and Nintendo are slightly down, while PlayStation had a huge jump in a quarter.

PlayStation putting its games on PC and increasing its price along with the strong demand did great for their numbers. They had room to jump. Just shows how hard supply screwed them.

Xbox and Nintendo will have a better year financially 2023.

Nintendo needs to put out their successor.
Pokémon killing it.

Xbox and Nintendo are slightly down, while PlayStation had a huge jump in a quarter.

PlayStation putting its games on PC and increasing its price along with the strong demand did great for their numbers. They had room to jump. Just shows how hard supply screwed them.

Xbox and Nintendo will have a better year financially 2023.
I don't see Xbox having a better financial year and I doubt Nintendo does either unless they release new hardware.

zedinen

Nintendo and Sony switched places in their full FY hardware forecasts. Seems like a last second F1 overtaking lol.
Switch is obviously at the end of its lifecycle and to reverse the trend Nintendo must release new hardware.

Apples (home consoles) and oranges (portable consoles), tbh

FY22 Sales Forecast

PS 3.63 trillion yen (PS5 19 m)
NSW 1.6 trillion yen (NSW 18 m)

Elios83

FY22 Sales Forecast

Switch is a hybrid, it's not just a portable.
So either we decide that Nintendo plays its own game in its own market and cannot be compared with other consoles at all or not.
In that case metrics like LTD sales comparisons with PS4 become useless too though.

Personally I don't see an apple vs orange situation, just a system that it's now in its downward part of the lifecycle vs an other that is going into its prime.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

FY22 Sales Forecast

Game device vs Game device... I don't get why english native speakers always get into that weird argument, for many PS2 was a DVD player but it was mainly a gaming device.

BTW, the FY hasn't ended yet, Switch can still sell 125M by end of March, that leaves 34M to surpass PS5... I don't think how this is not possible.

Unknown?

Switch is a hybrid, it's not just a portable.
So either we decide that Nintendo plays its own game in its own market and cannot be compared with other consoles at all or not.
In that case metrics like LTD sales comparisons with PS4 become useless too though.

Personally I don't see an apple vs orange situation, just a system that it's now in its downward part of the lifecycle vs an other that is going into its prime.
Switch is a portable with the ability to connect to a TV. Calling it a hybrid is like saying PSP is a hybrid because it had component cords for TVs of the time.

Also a huge slice of those sells are from the lite which doesn't even have the ability to connect to a TV.

Buggy Loop

Hmm, things starting to slow

Really should be thinking about switch 2 soon

Or maybe they have some killer content in the works after TotK

Or you know… a fucking price drop? Barely budged in MSRP all this time. Crazy. Nintendo had deep discounts for their handhelds typically. They must make so much money on each unit sold with that old tech.

nial

Gold Member
Also a huge slice of those sells are from the lite which doesn't even have the ability to connect to a TV.
Remember those headlines last year about the Switch being "the fastest selling home console to reach 100 million mark", despite a huge chunk of those sales coming from the Lite model? Fucking hacks...

Last edited:
Zelda getting delayed hurt the lineup last holiday. It was light, outside of Pokemon. They either didn't want to, or had nothing that could be slotted in to fill the gap. Bayo 3 and Splatoon 3 were not hardware movers. If you bought Splatoon 3, you more than likely already own a Switch.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Switch is a portable with the ability to connect to a TV. Calling it a hybrid is like saying PSP is a hybrid because it had component cords for TVs of the time.

That's the problem of segregating a gaming device for if you connect it to a tv or not, the switch is a hybrid because by default the system comes ready to be played on a TV and without it, did the PSP come with a dock, detachable controllers, a controller grip and cable to be connected to TV?

Switch Light is barely around 20% total sales, but as I said, it doesn't matter if you hold it to play or connect it to a screen, gaming device is gaming device, afaik console is substantive and portable is adjective, one doesn't even negate the other.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It's normal for Nintendo to be down though. Switch is 6 years old and declining.
Yes it’s normal for it to be down. Nintendo expected it to be down. But, it’s down more than they projected.

Nobody is saying it’s a full blown crisis but it is disappointing compared to Nintendo’s own predictions.

tkscz

Hmm, things starting to slow

Really should be thinking about switch 2 soon

Or maybe they have some killer content in the works after TotK
Question remains, is it slowing enough for Nintendo to feel it's worth moving on?

When the Wii's sales were dying down, it was by a huge margin, and the Wii U got announced. The Switch sales are still the highest in multiple regions and haven't dropped dramatically. I honestly don't expect an announcement until 3rd or 4th quarter.

Y1mURd9.jpg

I'm glad to see Bayonetta 3 doing well but find it weird that Bayonetta 1 barely hit 1 million units sold (don't think even reach 1 million) when released on PS3 and XB360, but each game did over a million units on the Switch.

DryvBy

Switch Harder (no one will get this dumb joke) needs to come out asap. I'm ready to retire the Switch for now and get a 4K Nintendo system.

Unknown?

That's the problem of segregating a gaming device for if you connect it to a tv or not, the switch is a hybrid because by default the system comes ready to be played on a TV and without it, did the PSP come with a dock, detachable controllers, a controller grip and cable to be connected to TV?

Switch Light is barely around 20% total sales, but as I said, it doesn't matter if you hold it to play or connect it to a screen, gaming device is gaming device, afaik console is substantive and portable is adjective, one doesn't even negate the other.
Historically they have always been separated, don't know why now we're differentiating them. I agree that it's a hybrid but it's base is handheld with the option of being on a TV. Connecting to a TV is secondary. PSone was the opposite, it was a console that came with a screen and could be portable but was a console at heart.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Historically they have always been separated, don't know why now we're differentiating them. I agree that it's a hybrid but it's base is handheld with the option of being on a TV. Connecting to a TV is secondary. PSone was the opposite, it was a console that came with a screen and could be portable but was a console at heart.
Maybe in the US... but it doesn't matter, they're all gaming devices, they all play games and that's their main function.

You can make two lists of best selling portable and home consoles, but joining them together isn't exactly wrong too imo...

BTW, Switch just surpassed PS4, next in the line is the NDS.

Oof85

Only exclusives that can get in same ballpark as these numbers is God of War 2 and Spiderman 2.
Breh, I agree with Botw and Smash but AC and Mario Kart? Doubtful.

That's more than ANY Sony first party titles have ever done.

Nintendo titles back on the Wii got to within shooting range of this ballpark so they've gone from strength to strength but for SIE this would be a huge outlier.

I say aim for 20 million first before aiming at double that. Air is mighty rarified up there.

Woopah

Great to see Bayo 3 is already over a million, plus pretty good ongoing sales for Splatoon 3 and Kirby. Xenoblade is disappointing though. Really intrigued what the 8 third party million sellers are.

The overall picture is that Switch is doing extremely well for its age, but it absolutely on the downward trend. Before it was only hardware that was declining, but now software has started to decline as well. Time for a price cut and a Nintendo Selects line I think.

I'm glad to see Bayonetta 3 doing well but find it weird that Bayonetta 1 barely hit 1 million units sold (don't think even reach 1 million) when released on PS3 and XB360, but each game did over a million units on the Switch.
Bayo did hit 1 million on PS3 and XB360 but that was with significant price discounts, which Bayo 3 is unlikely to get.

Top Bottom