• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has reportedly dropped a possible hint at backwards compatibility for its next console

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Nintendo reportedly touched on its plans for Switch’s successor during a Q&A session on Thursday, which was summarised on Twitter by Japan-based analyst and investment adviser David Gibson.

The company was asked how Switch’s 98 million annual players factor into its plans for its next console. Gibson paraphrased Nintendo’s response, which he suggested may hint at backwards compatibility.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Not a huge surprise. Looking more and more likely BOTW2 launches with the Switch 2/Pro but will also work on the OG Switch.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It sounds like they will just eventually upgrade the Switch and release games on both models until they gradually phase the old model out over several years.

Probably the smartest for them to retain their user base.

Fbh

Nintendo has usually been pretty good with backwards compatibility of the previous system, assuming the form factor of the new console is similar (which I don't see why it wouldn't be).

mortal

Gold Member
Not surprising, expected even.

I doubt Nintendo would simply drop support for the Switch's library after this much success.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Backwards compatible consoles is a significant feature that hasn’t been here in full capacity in decades it’s a testament to console manufacturing, gamers should take aim at them, killing backwards compatible is clear money intent.
Do You Even Lift Joe Biden GIF by Obama

yurinka

98 million annual sounds weird. Couldn't they say the MAUs like everyone else?

Backwards compatible consoles is a significant feature that hasn’t been here in full capacity in decades it’s a testament to console manufacturing, gamers should take aim at them, killing backwards compatible is clear money intent.
Do You Even Lift Joe Biden GIF by Obama
How about if the console is technically full BC but not with Switch cards or Switch digital games, but instead they charge you $60 to buy the games again? This time they wouldn't even need an emulator. Even higher profit!

Please Nintendo. I wanna play Splatoon 3 on better hardware.
I'd bet:
2023: Super Nintendo Switch gets announced
2024: Super Nintendo Switch gets released
2025: Switch gets discontinued

Last edited:
Top Bottom