• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Is Launching An 18+ N64 Switch Online App In Japan

Earlier today, we learnt that Rare's Jet Force Gemini would be headed to the N64 Nintendo Switch Online service next month. While Western audiences will be able to play the game via the normal app, Nintendo has revealed that things will be slightly different in Japan, as the region will soon be receiving a special 18+ variant of the console-specific app (thanks, VGC).

As shown in the above reveal trailer, the new adults-only N64 NSO app will launch in Japan with both Jet Force Gemini and GoldenEye 007 (which Western audiences got hold of earlier this year) on 30th November.

But why is this being introduced? Both Rare titles are rated 'Z' in Japan, meaning that they must be displayed separately and require an 18+ age verification to purchase. Putting both titles behind a different app ensures that the games cannot be seen by anyone under the legal age requirement — which is probably why we didn't see GoldenEye launch in Japan at the same time as it did in the West.

StereoVsn

butwhy.jpg

It certainly has been a while since I played the game, but don’t recall it being particularly crazy to deserve that rating. Also lol at Golden Eye getting it.

Mikado

Gold Member
Those are not the titles I was hoping for when I read "18+ Rated Japanese Games"

fridge-dissapointed.gif

Sojiro

I can understand GoldenEye since you are shooting people and there is blood splatter on their bodies, but Jet Force Gemini too? JFG enemies are all bugs that burst in very cartoony blobs of green if I recall correctly, surprised that game would be rated that.

Sojiro

I think you could also kill those teddy bear guys.
I don't recall, but maybe you can. If you can, I know they come back since you have to collect every fucking one of them to beat the game lol. Honestly one of the very few aspects I didn't like for the game was the forced collecting of them all.

Tams

Germans and to some degree Australians can't talk. You've got equally prudish regulation.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I can understand GoldenEye since you are shooting people and there is blood splatter on their bodies, but Jet Force Gemini too? JFG enemies are all bugs that burst in very cartoony blobs of green if I recall correctly, surprised that game would be rated that.
you control a little dog... that could be why.

Top Bottom