• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is raising wages for its Japanese workforce by 10%

Banjo64

cumsessed
https://globalnews.ca/news/9469968/...kawa said the,this week, according to Reuters

The president of Nintendo is promising to boost wages at the Japanese video game maker despite a slight dip in profit and a lower outlook for the year to come.
70c8fc80

President Shuntaro Furukawa said the company is raising wages for its Japanese workforce by 10 per cent as it looks to compete in a tight labour market.

“It’s important for our long-term growth to secure our workforce,” Furukawa said during an earnings call this week, according to Reuters.

Power Pro

Not to be a debbie downer, but still could be higher. If they are going to increase prices of their games by almost 15%, then wages should increase by 15% also.

This is what happens when you believe in the quality of your products and price them accordingly.

Say what you want about them but they are a very well run business, almost bulletproof.

I was angry and disappointed at them for yesterday's direct. I badly wanted some kind of information on new hardware.

But Nintendo, somehow and someway always puts a smile on my face.

jigglet

Banned
That's not how it works my friend. Wages aren't the only thing that cause an increase in rising production costs.
there's also differences in currency to consider. a 15% increase in the US may be significantly lower once repatriated home.

This is what happens when you believe in the quality of your products and price them accordingly.

Say what you want about them but they are a very well run business, almost bulletproof.

Yeah it's not entirely about that. It's corporate talent retention. It's a bloodbath in tech/software dev at the moment. Kids right out of university are pulling way over 6 figures, madness.

Also without any comparative metrics an increase by 10% is meaningless e.g. how does the Japanese median wage compare to euro devs, eastern devs, western devs etc. Is Nintendo unionised? That would be a step for the employees and not the corporation.

At any rate, good news to get more pay.

Last edited:

Pejo

I've not got many nice things to say about corporate Nintendo, but this is pretty cool. Better than 3% across the board and the CEO getting a 4mil bonus at any rate.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
And this is why you see game prices increasing across all platforms. Has very little if anything to due with current gen vs last gen as some here keep harping on. It's getting super expensive to keep talent across so many industries.

Bragr

Banned
Japanese companies are radically different than western studios. It's nuts, but the people making all the big Nintendo games are trained for a decade and stay with the company for the rest of their lives. It's a legacy thing, whereas in the west people jump back and forth project by project.

It's super important for Nintendo that the people they train want to stay and not turn into a western studio.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
10% increase on what kind of base salary/wage in Japan?

What about wages for Nintendo employees in other countries?

Last edited:
Top Bottom