• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Leak Claims 4 New Mario Games Are On the Way

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Luckily, if recent rumors are to be believed, it's possible that there are four Mario-centric games in the pipeline. Nintendo leaker Zippo has claimed that Nintendo is sitting on four finished games starring Mario, including a new 2D Super Mario game, a sports title rumored to be a new Super Mario baseball game, a remaster of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, and a new entry in the long-running Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games franchise.

SCB3

All make sense aside from the Remaster of Paper Mario, why is the 2nd game being remastered first?

Seems unlikely that Nintendo is "sitting on" a new Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games title when Paris 2024 is still more than a year away and most of the venue layouts etc haven't been finalised yet.

Lasha

Mario Baseball would be so fucking sick. I had hope when the new strikers game came out. I didn't think it was a reasonable one.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Makes sense, Nintendo sitting on finished games while others releasing unfinished games. haha.

I think their Holiday line-up would be Mario sports, 2d Mario and Metroid Prime 4. They'll keep Paper for Jan next year and then announce the Switch 2 with a new 3D mario open world game.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
About Time GIF

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
All make sense aside from the Remaster of Paper Mario, why is the 2nd game being remastered first?
So fans can shut the f up*

PM has been available on Wii, WiiU and Switch after the original release. TYD has been locked on GC forever.

*not really. The game will have changes and the fans will bitch about it for another couple of decades.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Literally the next line in the article;

“Readers should take these rumors with a HUGE grain of salt”.

Meaning “We don’t even believe this shit but hey, we gotta print stuff”

mcjmetroid

I would be very concerned about Nintendo remastering Paper Mario TTYD. They seem to want to go out of their way to not make paper mario an RPG or anything like this, this goes against that philosophy.

I hope they stick with the Metroid prime remaster and leave the classic gameplay alone.

also don't put a stupid artstyle on it like Links awakening and Advance Wars

Edit:
Also I'd put money on a new 2D Mario game for the Christmas Period. I just hope it's good though unlike well most of the NEW games.

Last edited:
Thousand year door remake would be awesome, and I wouldn't mind another 2D platformer and baseball game. But man I really just want to know when the next mainline 3D platformer will come out, it's been a while

Shut0wen

As much as i love a thousand doors i hope baseball is legit, one of the most under rated mario sports game imo, tennis and football have all had there time

Xdrive05

Recently started playing New Super Mario Bros. U with my 10 year old, and we've been having a pretty good time. Wonder what they could do with a whole new Switch game in that series.

Last edited:
Genuine question. Has there ever been a time in the past few generations(or more) where Nintendo wasn't working on new Mario titles to some degree?

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve been thinking a 2D game must be coming sooner rather than later. Can’t wait to see it, hopefully it’s something other than the ‘New SMB’ games.

A remaster of TTYD sounds too good to be true though, so I don’t know..

Holammer

Crazy bit about the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games is how well Nintendo get Sonic & friends.
The animation and modelling kicks the shit out of Sega's efforts in Sonic Frontiers. TBH, Nintendo should make a Sonic game and I think they would make it work better than Sega ever could.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Why would they remake Link's Awakening and skip Zelda 1, 2 and LTTP? It's Nintendo.

And because 1 is outdated and 2 isn't a Zelda game.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Nintendo leaker Zippo has claimed that Nintendo is sitting on four finished games starring Mario, including a new 2D Super Mario game, a sports title rumored to be a new Super Mario baseball game, a remaster of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, and a new entry in the long-running Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games franchise.
All meh. TTYD can already be played remastered with mods on PC thanks to dolphin texture packs, and they just finished decompiling PM64 so that will get enhancements as well. Nintendo hasn't made a good 2d mario game in a long time

I want another god damn 3d mario

Last edited:

amigastar

All meh. TTYD can already be played remastered with mods on PC thanks to dolphin texture packs, and they just finished decompiling PM64 so that will get enhancements as well. Nintendo hasn't made a good 2d mario game in a long time

I want another god damn 3d mario
Same here, i was hoping for a new 3D Mario.

Cool. Just opened up my 3ds lately and been playing lots of older mario titles, like nsmb, nsmb2, 3dland , etc... On my switch loved odyssey and mario 3dworld as well as the 3 3d game ports.

Still haven't bought smb u deluxe as I heard it was just a port of the wii game that my wife already has on the wii, is that true or is it, its own thing?
If it's just a port of the wii game that would suck, but at least switch would get its own 2d mario game now.

Would love a sequel to Super Mario 3D World or 3d land though first. Those games were amazing!

Crazy bit about the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games is how well Nintendo get Sonic & friends.
The animation and modelling kicks the shit out of Sega's efforts in Sonic Frontiers. TBH, Nintendo should make a Sonic game and I think they would make it work better than Sega ever could.
The Olympics games are mostly Sega developed though, even down to the music (with some pretty interesting freelancers on occasion for the music, I should add). You can see breakdowns for the last two games at these links:

https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Mario_&_Sonic_at_the_Rio_2016_Olympic_Games_(Wii_U)_staff

https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Mario_&_Sonic_at_the_Olympic_Games_Tokyo_2020_staff

Last edited:

Holammer

The Olympics games are mostly Sega developed though, even down to the music (with some pretty interesting freelancers on occasion for the music, I should add). You can see breakdowns for the last two games at these links:

https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Mario_&_Sonic_at_the_Rio_2016_Olympic_Games_(Wii_U)_staff

https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Mario_&_Sonic_at_the_Olympic_Games_Tokyo_2020_staff
Well damn, so why is Sonic looking better in real-time graphics than the amateurish pre-rendered cut scenes in Frontiers? They even dialed down Sonic's obnoxious side-mouth in Mario & Sonic.
Also, that's a lot of support studios involved in the game. Suppose they developed a few events each.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Well damn, so why is Sonic looking better in real-time graphics than the amateurish pre-rendered cut scenes in Frontiers?
because frontiers was made by a far less experienced team & isn't a very good game
Btw if you think the animatinos in those games are good you should see the production values they had for Unleashed. Insane work done by the guys at sega, not just animation wise but graphically too

Last edited:

SCB3

Why would they remake Link's Awakening and skip Zelda 1, 2 and LTTP? It's Nintendo.

And because 1 is outdated and 2 isn't a Zelda game.
I have zero idea why they did that with Links Awakening either tbf

Woopah

It's the fan favourite.
Makes sense, Nintendo sitting on finished games while others releasing unfinished games. haha.

I think their Holiday line-up would be Mario sports, 2d Mario and Metroid Prime 4. They'll keep Paper for Jan next year and then announce the Switch 2 with a new 3D mario open world game.
I'd say that's pretty reasonable, with a couple of remasters thrown in too.
Genuine question. Has there ever been a time in the past few generations(or more) where Nintendo wasn't working on new Mario titles to some degree?
No. Either them or one of their partners is always working on one.
I do love the idea that Nintendo is so far ahead in game development that they just sit on finished games until they can find a place to put them.
They do it all the time, most recently with Prime Remastered and Fire Emblem Engage.

Cool. Just opened up my 3ds lately and been playing lots of older mario titles, like nsmb, nsmb2, 3dland , etc... On my switch loved odyssey and mario 3dworld as well as the 3 3d game ports.

Still haven't bought smb u deluxe as I heard it was just a port of the wii game that my wife already has on the wii, is that true or is it, its own thing?
If it's just a port of the wii game that would suck, but at least switch would get its own 2d mario game now.

Would love a sequel to Super Mario 3D World or 3d land though first. Those games were amazing!
3D Land is soooo good. I desperately want it on the switch.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I do love the idea that Nintendo is so far ahead in game development that they just sit on finished games until they can find a place to put them.
They prepared for this for a long time. Iwata started the process of building this infrastructure and the Switch being one console allows them to focus on one hardwar. Plus Nintendo is very organized on budget and timing, and when a game is "enough".

Wish they would make a mario metroidvania that isnt divided into levels but goes all the way through. and you actually need powerups to pass areas, ect

Nothing would make me happier than seeing a TTYD remake on Switch. My God, like literally inject that shit right into my veins. Day One, $60. Sold.

Since Mario & Luigi series is dead with Alphadream closed, and Paper Mario for irritating reasons no longer being an RPG series, we've gone from two recurring Mario RPG series, to zero. So, given that, seems like the opportunity is ripe for a reboot of Mario RPG. Whether that is rebooting Paper Mario as an RPG series again, making a Paper Mario spin-off series that returns to RPG roots, or a new series altogether, they need to do something. TTYD remaster is great, and I'm all for it, but that's not going to satisfy Mario RPG fans past this year.

There needs to be something new in the pipeline.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If swtich earns another round of mario games lets play devils advocate you're talking about many years before the next Nintendo console.

Top Bottom