• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser has said the company expects The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom to justify its $70 price tag

Draugoth

Gold Member
TLOZ_TearsOfTheKingdom_scrn_18-1024x576.jpg

Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser has said the company expects The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom to justify its $70 price tag.

The company announced last month that the upcoming game costs $69.99, marking the first time it has charged more than $59.99 for a standard edition of a digital Switch title.

In a recent interview, Nintendo’s US boss was asked how the platform holder reached its decision to price Tears of the Kingdom at $70:

We look at what the game has to offer,” Bowser told Associated Press.

“I think fans will find this is an incredibly full, deeply immersive experience. The price point reflects the type of experience that fans can expect when it comes to playing this particular game.”

After the game’s price was announced, a Nintendo spokesperson suggested $70 won’t necessarily be the new norm for first-party Switch software, stating that the company determines the suggested retail price of its products “on a case-by-case basis”.

This isn’t a price point that we’ll necessarily have on all our titles. It’s actually a fairly common pricing model either here or in Europe or other parts of the world, where the pricing may vary depending on the game itself.”

Mr Hyde

They could at least throw in the bike right at the start as a gesture of good will. Would do for some nice and easy going traversal.

100% bullshit.
A lot of N64 games were $60, and they were like, maybe 10% of the scope/ size/ complexity of the games being made nowadays. People love to whine, but, videogames are an enthusiast hobby. And it's not like $10 more will hurt demand, let's be honest. Worth pointing out too, that $60 US in 1999 is worth $108 in 2023, so from any angle, as others have stated when this topic has come up in the past, *games have never been cheaper than they are right now*.

PS5 controllers retail for $75 standard, I mean, so what, a 250+ hour top-tier immersive open-world game that was in development for over 5 years can't cost $70? What core argument is being made, that it's not worth it? Balderdash.

Last edited:

Pejo

As much as it pains me to say, I'm holding off buying this at launch. $70 for a fucking Switch game is just a no from me. Also, I suspect it will be cross gen with Switch 2, and since it's Nintendo you know their account system won't transfer purchases and games over to the new version, on top of the Switch 2 "backwards compatibility" rumors.

If Nintendo wants to start charging like the big boys, they need to fix their account system and stop tying purchases down to hardware.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
A lot of N64 games were $60, and they were like, maybe 10% of the scope/ size/ complexity of the games being made nowadays. People love to whine, but, videogames are an enthusiast hobby. And it's not like $10 more will hurt demand, let's be honest. Worth pointing out too, that $60 US in 1999 is worth $108 in 2023, so from any angle, as others have stated when this topic has come up in the past, *games have never been cheaper*.

PS5 controllers retail for $75 standard, I mean, so what, a 250+ hour top-tier immersive open-world game that was in development for over 5 years can't cost $70? What core argument is being made, that it's not worth it? Balderdash.

I'm not saying it is unreasonable. I'm saying they are being dishonest about it. Just say that the market has changed, and inflation impacts Nintendo. That isn't untrue. Instead, they are playing a song-and-dance to make it seem like they're not just chasing the money. We're not stupid. They shouldn't treat us like we are.

scydrex

Not even some ps5 and xbox series games justify the $70 price tag like Callisto. Forsaken is a mediocre game plus $70 and the game sold poorly. I don't care if the games is good or bad. To me is the cost of production of the game or the budget justify the price tag. Gow ragnarok for example i brought it for $70 and to me it was justified. Elden Ring for $60 and even if it was $70 would have gladly pay that. I don't buy games at full price anymore. Only a few exceptions. If the price tag depends of how good it's the game then an excellent indie game justify a price tag of $60 or $70? For example? To me no.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
£42 Digital in the UK using the official two game voucher deal for anyone unaware.

This is what I did. Turned out I had over £4 in points so it came to £80 for two vouchers. Pre ordered TOTK...Noice!

Hopefully advance wars turns out amazing with a great online mode and I might get that, if not Ill just hold out until something else comes along.

ironmang

A lot of N64 games were $60, and they were like, maybe 10% of the scope/ size/ complexity of the games being made nowadays. People love to whine, but, videogames are an enthusiast hobby. And it's not like $10 more will hurt demand, let's be honest. Worth pointing out too, that $60 US in 1999 is worth $108 in 2023, so from any angle, as others have stated when this topic has come up in the past, *games have never been cheaper*.

The problem with Nintendo games is you'll be paying $70 for years.

Are video games still an "enthusiast hobby"? It's pretty mainstream now and they money it already generates reflects that.

cdthree

Nintendo puts out top-notch games, no doubt about it. If Nintendo can't see the economic collapse happening right now and multiple other things causing uncertainties with their customers, good luck with that. I'm sure it will sell great regardless, tbh. If Nintendo's new plan going forward is to raise their already premium prices even more, I think they are delusional and in for a massive correction. Games are a luxury, not a necessity.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think its funny that for almost a decade now, rising development costs have been blamed on fancier graphics, high production values i.e., cinematics and extremely detailed open worlds that take forever for artists to draw and designers to populate.

Zelda is literally using flat textures in its open world. we all know it wont have hours of cinematics like TLOU or GOW because the first one didnt. The game seems to be using PS3 quality assets at best. And yet the development took 6 long years. Just as long as it took them to reboot Zelda from 2011 to 2017. This a straight sequel that seems to be using the same map, reusing the same enemies, and mechanics and yet it took just as long as the original?

Maybe, just maybe, the graphics arent the reason why games are taking so long to make. Maybe there is something else at play here. We dont even know how big the Zelda team over at Nintendo really is. Of course, since the game took 6 years to make, Nintendo is going to charge whatever they want to get their money back. Looking at how well GOW and Hogwarts sold at $70, it would be silly not to.

JZ6StnQ.jpg
ox6zjCM.jpg
FHXjpyc.jpg

Let's face it, $70 is very reasonable. You know what's not reasonable? Governments and corporates not upping the wages accordingly with the inflation.
Gonna get to the point where luxury items are the norm again.

The amount of people I know that didn't grow up with all the gadgets and fancy games systems is pretty high. Now in an age where those folks have jobs a lot of them don't have kids so they've been spending silly money on what was considered luxury back in the day.

I feel like I do take for granted the amount of entertainment systems I own looking at how much was spent. Thinking my parents would have had a hard time trying to keep up.

Heck back then N64 games would cost around £100 in the 90's.

Last edited:
The problem with Nintendo games is you'll be paying $70 for years.

Are video games still an "enthusiast hobby"? It's pretty mainstream now and they money it already generates reflects that.
Enthusiast hobby does not = niche. Just means it's... a hobby, and, it's...expensive.

SeraphJan

The moment they decide to release the game on an outdated hardware, I'm out, I was expecting they would release the new Zelda on Switch successor. I'm not paying 70$ for low budget games, even indie games look better than this.

But if there is market, its always justifiable as long as fans keep paying it.

SeraphJan

Lmao! ToTK is “low budget”? Gtfo
Low quality texture, minimalist design, asset flip, unpopulated world, how is it not?

Pay 70$ if you like, I rather play indie game for innovative game design

Edit: I didn't know this comment had a side of effect of triggering irrational fanboism, its quite entertaining, keep paying and keep encouraging the companies greed and their low budget, its your wallet:pie_roffles:, GameCube era Nintendo (and the all generation before it) where they actually cared about production value might never come back thanks to you guys

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Mr Bowser, Mario strikers/golf/tennis doesn't even justify it's lower price tag.

Why should I trust you? :p

Last edited:

Pelta88

Gamers will pay for quality.

Somehow over the past two years, this staple of our industry got distorted on social media and gaming forums. But this simple fact remains a constant in business... Consumers will pay for quality. Anyone who argues different is being disingenuous.

Last edited:

sandbood

Banned
I think its funny that for almost a decade now, rising development costs have been blamed on fancier graphics, high production values i.e., cinematics and extremely detailed open worlds that take forever for artists to draw and designers to populate.

Zelda is literally using flat textures in its open world. we all know it wont have hours of cinematics like TLOU or GOW because the first one didnt. The game seems to be using PS3 quality assets at best. And yet the development took 6 long years. Just as long as it took them to reboot Zelda from 2011 to 2017. This a straight sequel that seems to be using the same map, reusing the same enemies, and mechanics and yet it took just as long as the original?

Maybe, just maybe, the graphics arent the reason why games are taking so long to make. Maybe there is something else at play here. We dont even know how big the Zelda team over at Nintendo really is. Of course, since the game took 6 years to make, Nintendo is going to charge whatever they want to get their money back. Looking at how well GOW and Hogwarts sold at $70, it would be silly not to.

JZ6StnQ.jpg
ox6zjCM.jpg
FHXjpyc.jpg
At least post uncompressed screenshots that are not screencaptures from YouTube. I think the game looks fine on the system that it is currently running on(~393 GFLOPS) especially an open world game with an insane physics system.

FoeskYuaYAA0fAp

FpMiAN6WYAA_L-O

Fq4LUMwaQAA3vEF

Fq4LUdWacAEiqQl

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
At least post uncompressed screenshots that are not screencaptures from YouTube. I think the game looks fine on the system that it is currently running on(~393 GFLOPS) especially an open world game with an insane physics system.

FpMiAN6WYAA_L-O

Fq4LUdWacAEiqQl
You can literally see the flat textures in your uncompressed PNG shots. There is absolutely nothing here that should be compared with other modern $70 last gen games like GOW, Hogwarts and Horizon.

All im saying is that the $70 cost is not because of the graphics or level of detail. It's for some other equally bs reason.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Gonna get to the point where luxury items are the norm again.

The amount of people I know that didn't grow up with all the gadgets and fancy games systems is pretty high. Now in an age where those folks have jobs a lot of them don't have kids so they've been spending silly money on what was considered luxury back in the day.

I feel like I do take for granted the amount of entertainment systems I own looking at how much was spent. Thinking my parents would have had a hard time trying to keep up.

Heck back then N64 games would cost around £100 in the 90's.

Who would've thought back in our days that kids would have tablets as a norm. Crazy times we're living, but at the same time governments and corporates are making way more crazier numbers than ever before.

sandbood

Banned
You can literally see the flat textures in your uncompressed PNG shots. There is absolutely nothing here that should be compared with other modern $70 last gen games like GOW, Hogwarts and Horizon.

All im saying is that the $70 cost is not because of the graphics or level of detail. It's for some other equally bs reason.
Which morons are comparing a game on the 393 GFLOPS system to games on the 11 TFLOPS system? Of course, it's not going to look like PS5 games because of power differences alone, but it looks fine on the system it is running on.

Take a look at the physics system in TOTK/BOTW and show me one open world game on PS5 that has the same level of complexity as TOTK/BOTW.

Nautilus

Banned
As much as it pains me to say, I'm holding off buying this at launch. $70 for a fucking Switch game is just a no from me. Also, I suspect it will be cross gen with Switch 2, and since it's Nintendo you know their account system won't transfer purchases and games over to the new version, on top of the Switch 2 "backwards compatibility" rumors.

If Nintendo wants to start charging like the big boys, they need to fix their account system and stop tying purchases down to hardware.
Regardless of how you feel about 70 dollars, one of the few devs out there that could charge 70 dollars and get away with it is Nintendo, given the pedigree and quality of their games.

Banjo64

cumsessed

What like gameplay and fun? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You’ve got companies like SE charging £69.99 for flaming hot garbage like Forspoken, EA charging the same for FIFA and Madden.

The absolute last thing I will do is complain if companies like Nintendo want to charge the same for some of the best games in the industry.

Top Bottom