• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser has said the company expects The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom to justify its $70 price tag

Nintendo - The Anti Consumer. BotW had difficulties running on the Switch. I can't imagine paying $70 for this on such a weak system at this point. It is NOT a next gen title, far from it. As always, history repeat itself. Watch this game launch for Switch 2 or w/e next system is sometime in Spring of next year. Mainline Zelda titles ALWAYS do this.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Nintendo - The Anti Consumer. BotW had difficulties running on the Switch. I can't imagine paying $70 for this on such a weak system at this point. It is NOT a next gen title, far from it. As always, history repeat itself. Watch this game launch for Switch 2 or w/e next system is sometime in Spring of next year. Mainline Zelda titles ALWAYS do this.
BotW was poorly made because it was a WiiU crossgen, there's NO excuse for this Zelda game, but it will probably still run like shit.

Pejo

Regardless of how you feel about 70 dollars, one of the few devs out there that could charge 70 dollars and get away with it is Nintendo, given the pedigree and quality of their games.
You can't "regardless" that part, that's one of the main points of my post. Value is highly subjective. Does that mean that BotW was a 70 dollar game and we all just got a great deal on it? Given what we've seen, they're using the same engine and a TON of the same assets.

BotW was poorly made because it was a WiiU crossgen, there's NO excuse for this Zelda game, but it will probably still run like shit.
Oh don't worry, it will still get 9s and 10s. Because Nintendo always gets a free pass on everything for whatever reason. Don't get me wrong, they do make great games, but the technical flaws still get excused and it boggles my mind.

This game is also going to be crossgen, that was my point lol. Thanks for proving it.

It will 100% be available at launch for the next system.

sandbood

Banned
What like gameplay and fun? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You’ve got companies like SE charging £69.99 for flaming hot garbage like Forspoken, EA charging the same for FIFA and Madden.

The absolute last thing I will do is complain if companies like Nintendo want to charge the same for some of the best games in the industry.
They forgot that gameplay is the most important part of gaming, and they deserved Forspoken in their gaming library.
Imagine questioning the $70 pricepoint point of a sequel to the highest-rated game of the generation lol.

Imagine preferring something like this because of graphics
afN90KG.jpg

instead of this masterpiece of gameplay
UrUp8qN.jpg

One game is in the garbage bin, while the other is going to sell around 40 million units.

SeraphJan

They forgot that gameplay is the most important part of gaming
Gameplay is subjective, that's not to say subjectively doesn't matter, however it does not justify hefty price, production value however does. You have to understand, gameplay is actually very cheap to make.

For example I consider (and many others do too) Outer Wild having way better gameplay than BoTW, but the game only cost less than $20.

Metacritic to quantify whether a game is good or not is a joke, Steam review have much better reference value. I prefer users that spent hundreds of hour playing the game reviewing, than some amateur journalist rushing the game with whatever means just to meet the dead line

Last edited:

BlackTron

If it's the Zelda game I actually want then I will gladly pay one hundred dollars. But not $70 for another haphazard lopsided game that does some things REALLY good and others utterly terrible. Being a Switch title, it has the potential to do so relying entirely on the strength of the game itself with no gimmicks or fake outs. Without a new hardware launch or fresh format for the series to smooth out the growing pains and blemishes.

It has the potential to be the best Zelda if it brings back a lot of deep dungeon-style puzzle gameplay AND adds co-op mode with Zelda. Or it could suffer from copy/paste disease again...in which case I would skip it anyway.

sandbood

Banned
Gameplay is subjective, that's not to say subjectively doesn't matter, however it does not justify hefty price, production value however does.

For example I consider Outer Wild having way better gameplay than BoTW, but the game only cost less than $20, and Metacritic is a joke, Steam review have much better reference value
BOTW has sold over 30 million units at full MSRP. Gamers have spoken with their wallets, and you couldn't stop them with your weird taste in gaming.

In other news, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is already the best selling game in 2023 on amazon.com and already out of stock, so much for it being too expensive because of graphics.

VD1Gk60.jpg

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Well fuck it since I'm going to play it anyway used my gold points to get 2 vouchers for £60 and then bought Metriod Dread and Preordered Tears of the Kingdom...

See how it goes, I'm not expecting much on launch day. Not bad for £10 Considering Dread is a £50 full priced game and tears is a DLC pack for Ubisoft of the Wild.

Last edited:
I see that next to other open world games with higher production values (animation, audio, graphical features) and that price bites. Massive Zelda fan and I’ll be playing it, but I wouldn’t say I would enjoy Zelda more than something like Horizon - I personally got more out of Zero Dawn than BOTW.
Given how things have moved on then it’ll be interesting to see if I feel the same away about both games’ sequels

A lot of N64 games were $60, and they were like, maybe 10% of the scope/ size/ complexity of the games being made nowadays.

Why are you comparing older game standards to modern ones? That's barely an argument.

Some Coleco games were $80, why aren't we paying $80 games are more ambitious and complex now? I mean that's what you're arguing.

SeraphJan

BOTW has sold over 30 million units at full MSRP. Gamers have spoken with their wallets, and you couldn't stop them with your weird taste in gaming.
When did sales number equivalent to better taste? If that's the case Minecraft (238 million) has to be the best game ever made right?

Sales number could attribute to many things, BoTW didn't sales good on its original platform, and many game that sells at higher price on Switch is the portability tax.

Stop calling people weird taste just because you don't approve it, Outer Wild has some of the most innovative game design for an open world.

That said, let's not derail here into sales war, the original argument is: gameplay is a very subjective thing, however production value is not, most triple A game charge much higher compare to Indie games, even the said indie game had way better game play element.

And I'm not buying the New Zelda at $70, there are tons of "good gameplay" indie title that are better worth my time spent.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

and since it's Nintendo you know their account system won't transfer purchases and games over to the new version, on top of the Switch 2 "backwards compatibility" rumors.

I thought Nintendo fixed this from their previous account systems, that purchases on Switch is no longer tied to your hardware, but your account instead? So if Switch 2 is backwards compatible your digital games should transfer over from OG Switch.

EDIT: found an article that says your digital games aren't tied to your Switch. It's tied to your Nintendo account.

Last edited:
People really will bitch about $10 extra for a game they're gonna spend 100+ hours in.

You can't even get a takeaway for $10.
Games were the standard price of $59.99 during the release of the SNES in 1991, with the very rare exceptions of games that cost more than that. So over 30 years the industry didn't raise prices until after inflation went crazy. It was bound to happen. I'm not complaining. And I notice something, when Sony announced their price hike of games and their system, hardly any complaints at all, in fact most of the responses justify the price hike. You know what this complaining reeks of? Disguised console warring.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sony...has-not-yet-impacted-consumer-demand.1644747/

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Which morons are comparing a game on the 393 GFLOPS system to games on the 11 TFLOPS system? Of course, it's not going to look like PS5 games because of power differences alone, but it looks fine on the system it is running on.

Take a look at the physics system in TOTK/BOTW and show me one open world game on PS5 that has the same level of complexity as TOTK/BOTW.
What like gameplay and fun? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You’ve got companies like SE charging £69.99 for flaming hot garbage like Forspoken, EA charging the same for FIFA and Madden.

The absolute last thing I will do is complain if companies like Nintendo want to charge the same for some of the best games in the industry.
Once again, I am pointing out that it is NOT the graphics that results in these $70 price hikes. The physics system in BOTW is already designed and completed. What the hell took 6 years to make? Especially when they are reusing so many assets and enemies? And why

of course, I will pay $70 for this game. Thats not the point. The point is that these games are getting price hikes for arbirtrary reasons. Sony said its because next gen development costs are high and then proceeded to make their last gen games like GT7, HFW and GOW $70 as well. MS said the same thing, and while it makes sense for something like Starfield which actually looks ambitious enough to be next gen, Redfall doesnt. Why are Redfall and BOTW2 $70 then?

They are increasing the prices because they can. Because they know we will pay for it. thats the point. It's greed, plain and simple.

sandbood

Banned
When did sales number equivalent to better taste? If that's the case Minecraft has to be the best game ever made right?

Sales number could attribute to many things, BoTW didn't sales good on its original platform, and many game that sells at higher price on Switch is the portability tax.

And please stop calling people weird taste just because you don't approve it, Outer Wild has some of the most innovative game design for an open world.

That said, gameplay is a very subjective thing, however production value is not, that why most triple A game charge much higher compare to Indie games, even the said indie game had way better game play element.
BOTW sold over 30 million units, most of them at full MSRP (very few games managed to do that, Sony and Microsoft have none), and was rated as the highest-rated game in this generation.
Commercial and critical successes are the most reliable metrics to use to gauge any game's quality, not your weird taste in gaming.

Zelda BOTW is still retaining its original MSRP after more than 6 years on the market, and that's a testament to BOTW's greatness.
QL0l8Ei.jpg

LordOfChaos

Everyone else: Turns out, 4K assets, HDR, tens of thousands of lines of dialogue, texture work, advanced lighting systems and so on and so on cost a lot of money, and game prices haven't adjusted to inflation, so we're going to do 70 dollars

Nintendo: We'll give you pushed Xbox 360 graphics and you're going to pay for it damn it

It's actually bumming me out a little that the only official way to play this will be on such weak hardware, an underclocked Tegra X1 from 8 years ago. I bet a Steam Deck emulating it could do better shortly after launch even, and that's on Nintendo.

Last edited:

Pejo

I thought Nintendo fixed this from their previous account systems, that purchases on Switch is no longer tied to your hardware, but your account instead? So if Switch 2 is backwards compatible your digital games should transfer over from OG Switch.

EDIT: found an article that says your digital games aren't tied to your Switch. It's tied to your Nintendo account.

Ah, very cool. That shit was bugging me for years. Thanks for the update.

SeraphJan

BOTW sold over 30 million units, most of them at full MSRP (very few games managed to do that, Sony and Microsoft have none), and was rated as the highest-rated game in this generation.
Commercial and critical successes are the most reliable metrics to use to gauge any game's quality, not your weird taste in gaming.

Zelda BOTW is still retaining its original MSRP after more than 6 years on the market, and that's a testament to BOTW's greatness.
QL0l8Ei.jpg
Typical fanboy rhetoric, people like you are reason they keep selling it at MSRP, LMAO

But hey, its your money, you do you

Last edited:

theHFIC

I will buy this game at launch full price if Nintendo announces that the weapon wear and tear system can be disabled in the settings at the start of the game. Other than that they can GFY.

cireza

Banned
It is difficult to say if this is justified in any way before we play the final game, but recycling BotW worldmap certainly isn't a great start.

scydrex

They forgot that gameplay is the most important part of gaming, and they deserved Forspoken in their gaming library.
Imagine questioning the $70 pricepoint point of a sequel to the highest-rated game of the generation lol.

Imagine preferring something like this because of graphics
afN90KG.jpg

instead of this masterpiece of gameplay
UrUp8qN.jpg

One game is in the garbage bin, while the other is going to sell around 40 million units.
Callisto Protocol was $70 and it was released on December and now i have seen it for $40 in retailers. Forspoken dosen't justify the $70 price tag and neither Zelda. So when Zelda releases for Switch 2 remastered will it be $80? Why don't you compare it to Elden Ring for $60 or even GOW Ragnarok for $70? Oh because those games sucks and don't justify the price. That's why Callisto after 3 month from $70 it's now in $40. If an indie game were the GOTY in 2022 above Elden Ring or GOW R would it justify a $70 price tag? a 10/10 indie game would it justify the price tag? No.

Also those saying the N64 games cost $80. The cd was cheaper than the cartridge back then when the n64/ps1 era. Get out of there with that lame excuse. The cartridge was expensive back then.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Believe it or not, some people don't buy video games for the technical aspects, I'd actually imagine the vast majority don't. If it has $70 worth of content that's what matters as far as I'm concerned

Literally no where did i say i only buy games for technical reasons, but suffice to say that does play a roll in how much im willing to pay for a game. Zelda running at a dynamic 1080p at a fluctuating 30fps is a tough pill to swallow when other games at 70 bucks are achieving much higher performance metrics.

SeraphJan

Callisto Protocol was $70 and it was released on December and now i have seen it for $40 in retailers. Forspoken dosen't justify the $70 price tag and neither Zelda. So when Zelda releases for Switch 2 remastered will it be $80? Those games Forspoken and Callisto don't justify the price tag and neither Zelda. Why don't you compare it to Elden Ring for $60 or even GOW Ragnarok for $70? If an indie game were the GOTY in 2022 above Elden Ring or GOW R would it justify a $70 price tag? If not a 10/10 game would it justify the price tag? No.

Also those saying the N64 games cost $80. The cd was cheaper than the cartridge back then when the n64/ps1 era. Get out of there with that lame excuse. The cartridge was expensive back then.
Let also not forget N64 games like OoT beats almost anything its competitor has to offer in terms of production value, it has larger world at the time, insane visual compare to PS1 and Saturn, innovative control scheme for its time, rich Dungeon etc. What does the new Zelda has to offer what many great indie game don't? Comparing the new Zelda to OoT is an insult to one of the all time classic

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
Amount of content is another way to justify a higher price tag. We'll see how TotK improves in this area over BOTW. It better be jam packed with new content.

sandbood

Banned
Callisto Protocol was $70 and it was released on December and now i have seen it for $40 in retailers. Forspoken dosen't justify the $70 price tag and neither Zelda. So when Zelda releases for Switch 2 remastered will it be $80? Why don't you compare it to Elden Ring for $60 or even GOW Ragnarok for $70? Oh because those games sucks and don't justify the price. That's why Callisto after 3 month from $70 it's now in $40. If an indie game were the GOTY in 2022 above Elden Ring or GOW R would it justify a $70 price tag? a 10/10 indie game would it justify the price tag? No.

dnzzf2b.jpg

Games like CP and Forspoken aren't going to sustain their MSRP because of bad reviews from both reviewers and gamers. Gamers won't pay full price for a bad game but will pay full price for a good game, and that's the main reason why BOTW is still at $60 even after more than 6 years on the market.

TOTK deserved a $70 price point for being the sequel to the highest-rated game in this generation.

Nautilus

Banned
You can't "regardless" that part, that's one of the main points of my post. Value is highly subjective. Does that mean that BotW was a 70 dollar game and we all just got a great deal on it? Given what we've seen, they're using the same engine and a TON of the same assets.
I can, because the single metric, that can get us closer to being sure of being able to get away with 70 dollar games, is sales. And the dev that has most consistently sold 10+ million games, in terms of quantity and that also have been regarded as high quality, is Nintendo.

daveonezero

Banned
I mean I wish it was $30 but value is something that changes and I bought it for $60….
Let's face it, $70 is very reasonable. You know what's not reasonable? Governments and corporates not upping the wages accordingly with the inflation.
Huh weird as far as I know they are the ones causing the inflation. But I’m not an economist.

Not to get political or anything but you should do some research on who is issuing and printing money.

Last edited:
Literally no where did i say i only buy games for technical reasons, but suffice to say that does play a roll in how much im willing to pay for a game. Zelda running at a dynamic 1080p at a fluctuating 30fps is a tough pill to swallow when other games at 70 bucks are achieving much higher performance metrics.

I never said only, for most people performance and technical aspects play virtually no role in a purchase. I'm not hating on you I just disagree with not buying a game or thinking less of a game because of resolution or fps, barring the game being absolutely broken

Top Bottom