• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser has said the company expects The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom to justify its $70 price tag

Marvel14

Banned
Nintendo - The Anti Consumer. BotW had difficulties running on the Switch. I can't imagine paying $70 for this on such a weak system at this point. It is NOT a next gen title, far from it. As always, history repeat itself. Watch this game launch for Switch 2 or w/e next system is sometime in Spring of next year. Mainline Zelda titles ALWAYS do this.
Bored To Death Yawn GIF by Rose McGowan

Woopah

For a home console, it was.
Right. It wasn't outdated at launch, it had a small form factor at launch.
I don't understand why they havent gone in depth with this game. Comes out in two months. The marketing has been tepid. Is this new tactic of saving everything until the last minute coming from the new president? First Prime Remaster and now this..
They did something similar with Animal Cressing, Mario Maker 2 and Xenonlade 3. Maybe they saw it was effective. Get the excitement around the game to peak just as it comes out.

Why would he even publicly comment on it? Just charge the price you're going to charge and be done with it. Saying stuff like this just draws criticism. Saying nothing means you are unnoticeable and it's not like 10 more bucks was going to make Zelda fans suddenly decide to not buy it.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Why would he even publicly comment on it? Just charge the price you're going to charge and be done with it. Saying stuff like this just draws criticism. Saying nothing means you are unnoticeable and it's not like 10 more bucks was going to make Zelda fans suddenly decide to not buy it.

Q: How did you get to a $70 price figure for the upcoming Zelda game?

Doug:
200.gif

Would be funny, but I don’t think he’d stay the head of PR if he didn’t answer interview questions. That’s pretty much his job.

Ozriel

M$FT
PS5 controllers retail for $75 standard, I mean, so what, a 250+ hour top-tier immersive open-world game that was in development for over 5 years can't cost $70? What core argument is being made, that it's not worth it? Balderdash.

Most people won’t put 250 hours in Zelda.
A PS5 controller can be used for years. Most people don’t expect to be playing ToTK for years.

They’re going to selling 20 million copies of this game. It doesn’t need to be priced higher to recoup cost of development for 5 years.

SeraphJan

Ill only pay 70 if I can play as Zelda.
Except it will not, they killed the franchise the moment they decide to cater to new audience with its boring open world physic simulator sandbox approach in BotW with copy pasted weapon durability mechanic from Dead Rising.

Link Awakening is still the definitive Zelda experience on Switch, but it doesn't sell compare to BotW, thus they will continue BotW design with their second game, its pure greed

You could hardly call the game Zelda when there is no dungeon, repetitive boss, boring ass combat, no weapon progress etc. Its just Zelda in name, so it could profit from the IP, the game itself is a different franchise

I miss pre-NGC (including NGC) era Nintendo, where they actually cared about production value and stay faithful to its core audience, but they make more money from newer audience with their new strategy, so why bother. I'll just keep playing their classic game, their newer game just doesn't appeal me. Mario Odyssey (where they copy pasted some of the core mechanic from a little indie game called Sideway New York, if you don't believe me try to search some of the footage from that 2011 game) is no where near the fun Mario Galaxy provides too.

Last edited:

E-Cat

Right. It wasn't outdated at launch, it had a small form factor at launch.
Form factor is irrelevant on a home console. Nintendo decided to make it a hybrid, so unfortunately we also have to suffer portable graphics in a home console context.

SeraphJan

Form factor is irrelevant on a home console. Nintendo decided to make it a hybrid, so unfortunately we also have to suffer portable graphics in a home console context.
How many unit do you think it will sell without catering to mobile market if they remove the portability and stayed dedicated home console? Just a thought experiment

Last edited:

E-Cat

How many unit do you think it will sell without catering to mobile market if they remove the portability and stayed dedicated home console? Just a thought experiment
Very poorly, because then it would have no reason to be gimped by a mobile processor. I wanna say below Gamecube levels.

If they made an actual competent home console with specs on par with the current gen, then somewhere between PS5 and Xbox Series whatever.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

If they made an actual competent home console with specs on par with the current gen
This is a good point, if they did that, they would have no choice but to spent budget for their first party game, which would then justify the $70 price tag, the mobile hardware limitation excuse would no longer work. They would have to up their production value to be competitive.

Anyone actually buying it for $70 just isn't buying it at the right place. You can get it for less than 60 almost anywhere if you take a few minutes to look.

You can literally see the flat textures in your uncompressed PNG shots. There is absolutely nothing here that should be compared with other modern $70 last gen games like GOW, Hogwarts and Horizon.

All im saying is that the $70 cost is not because of the graphics or level of detail. It's for some other equally bs reason.
I don’t agree with the premise that graphical fidelity equates to the value of a game. A game’s graphics are entirely meaningless if the game isn’t fun to play.

And ToTK will be right up there with or surpass GoW on a gameplay level, there is little doubt. Horizon and Hogwarts look really pretty, sure, but just look at the critical reception of the games. 🤷‍♂️

Graphics aren’t everything, I thought as an industry we were past this obsession with graphical fidelity vs how a game actually plays.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I don’t agree with the premise that graphical fidelity equates to value of a game. A game’s graphics are entirely meaningless if the game isn’t fun to play.

And ToTK will be right up there with or surpass GoW on a gameplay level, there is little doubt. Horizon and Hogwarts look really pretty, sure, but just look at the critical reception of the games. 🤷‍♂️

Graphics aren’t everything, I thought as an industry we were past this obsession with graphical fidelity vs how a game actually plays.
The ultra basic combat of zelda is gonna beat the combat of gow and horizon?

Lmao.

Last edited:

Supple

Banned
Sadly, Nintendo fans will pay any price unfortunately. I was able to pre-order the game for $30 through Target’s buy two games, get the 2nd for $50 off deal when I pre-ordered Metroid Prime Remaster. Thanks Wario64! So there are always ways to stick to Nintendo if you can’t stomach paying $70 for a Nintendo game. You just have to be quick when you see stupid deals online.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gow and horizion didn't even beat the original Breath of the wild.
Since Nintendo keeps making the better games I guess it's only fair they charge as much as everyone else.
Score wise? Sure, botw also got beated by gta4 so that one must be the superior game, right?

Combat wise? You can't be serious (but i strongly suspect the opposite)

Last edited:

ebevan91

Anyone actually buying it for $70 just isn't buying it at the right place. You can get it for less than 60 almost anywhere if you take a few minutes to look.

I bought it from Walmart.com for $59.99 within minutes of it being on the website.

I would never preorder a game that soon but I may have saved myself $10 by doing so.

scydrex

How is this not worth $70 with all the other crud that costs $70?

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif
How much has Forspoken sold? Did it sold well? Is it great game?
What ahout Callisto? Did it sold well? Is it a great game? It came out in december and now it's $40. None of those games are worth $70. Use Elden Ring or God of War Ragnarok for example.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Game design wise.
Ok, i can see why someone could prefer zelda over these 2.

I Didn't really enjoyed the crappy looking, barren world, the shitty dungeons, the shitty boss fights, the abysmal enemy variety, the breeakable weapoms and hilariously bad rewards for exploration but the physic system was nice, i give you that.

SeraphJan

Minecraft features 4K HDR 60hz and raytracing so it should be at $70 right ?
Well according to people justifying BotW by saying the first game sells 30 million (you know these logic where sales number is the proof of everything), in that sense Minecraft sold 230 million, I would say it worth more than BotW, 4K HDR is just icing on cake.

Not to mention another camp who claims BotW had more than 300 hours play time, well Minecraft had infinite play time, how much does that worth?

You see how stupid these arguments are? Not every company are as greedy as Nintendo

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Score wise? Sure, botw also got beated by gta4 so that one must be the superior game, right?

Combat wise? You can't be serious (but i strongly suspect the opposite)
Journalist review are a joke, rushing through games just to meet dead line is just one of the many offenses, the fact that they are afraid of upsetting zealot fan is the main reason, remember that outlet gave Botw a 7/10 and received death threat?

On the other hand, just look at metacritic user score, it struggle to break 87, of course zealot will complain about mindless zeroes, how about mindless 10s? Idiots cancel each other out you know, what we are left with is a median. Consider how empty the game is, 87 is already too high, number based score is a total joke, there is no way you are telling me a masterpiece such as Elden Ring is inferior to BotW (according to score its 96 vs 97), I'm still amused at how when the game fall from 98 to 97, all the zealots lose their shit over a video game review score, it just shows their insecurity, where they knew their only bargaining chip is the inflated score.

That being said, I prefer GTA4 over BotW any day though, it has nothing to do with the score, its just that GTA4 is rich with content.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Journalist review are a joke, rushing through games just to meet dead line is just one of the many offenses, the fact that they are afraid of upsetting zealot fan is the main reason, remember that outlet gave Botw a 7/10 and received death threat?

On the other hand, just look at metacritic user score, it struggle to break 87, of course zealot will complain about mindless zeroes, how about mindless 10s? Idiots cancel each other out you know, what we are left with is a median. Consider how empty the game is, 87 is already too high, number based score is a total joke, there is no way you are telling me a masterpiece such as Elden Ring is inferior to BotW (according to score its 96 vs 97), I'm still amused at how when the game fall from 98 to 97, all the zealots lose their shit over a video game review score, it just shows their insecurity, where they knew their only bargaining chip is the inflated score.

That being said, I prefer GTA4 over BotW any day though, it has nothing to do with the score, its just that GTA4 is rich with content.
Same.

(but botw gameplay is better)

Woopah

Form factor is very relevant to technology though, especially if we say something is "outdated".

None of the current platforms were outdated at launch. Its just that Nintendo chose a form factor that gives less power while Sony and MS chose a form factor that gives less flexibility.

GymWolf

There is a lot more to gameplay than just combat, right? 🤷‍♂️.
But combat is usually what require more skills in the game and it's a big part of all these 3 titles.

Gow and zelda have both puzzles but let's be honest, they are super easy 99% of times, but botw has the better puzzle, no deny from me.

Edit: sorry i was thinking about gow and horizon, not gta4, my bad.

Look i like heavy feeling games and i get a micro-orgasm every time i see euphoria engine in action, but gta4 was TOO heavy and clunky to control.
Zelda at least is a joy to control, except for not having a damn evade move outside of when you are locked on to an enemy.

Last edited:

scydrex

Well according to people justifying BotW by saying the first game sells 30 million (you know these logic where sales number is the proof of everything), in that sense Minecraft sold 230 million, I would say it worth more than BotW, 4K HDR is just icing on cake.

Not to mention another camp who claims BotW had more than 300 hours play time, well Minecraft had infinite play time, how much does that worth?

You see how stupid these arguments are? Not every company are as greedy as Nintendo
100% agree with you. Also saying some crap games or average games have a $70 price tag. We all know how that goes. We only have to see how well Forspoken have sold really bad. Mediocre game with a high price tag. Callisto Protocol another game for 70$ and now that game cost $40 why? Also mediocre game. Those games don't justify a $70 price tag. That's why they sold poorly. Instead of using games like Elden Ring or GOW R they use as an excuse games that don't justify the $70 and in a couple of month you can get it in the clearance sale or with a 50% discount. Ragnarok ps5 cost $70 on Amazon right now. Even the ps4 version cost $60. Callisto cost $40 now and it's 1 month newer than Ragnarok.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Sadly, Nintendo fans will pay any price unfortunately. I was able to pre-order the game for $30 through Target’s buy two games, get the 2nd for $50 off deal when I pre-ordered Metroid Prime Remaster. Thanks Wario64! So there are always ways to stick to Nintendo if you can’t stomach paying $70 for a Nintendo game. You just have to be quick when you see stupid deals online.

Man, that was a really good deal!

Tg89

I mean it'll certainly justify it more than 95% of all the other $70 games out there unless you're a smooth brain who only looks at the graphics.

SeraphJan

Same.

(but botw gameplay is better)
I think what you meant is the control, gameplay is a pretty broad term, GTA4 no doubt had worse control compare to BotW, but that's not its appeal, its gameplay lies in its rich content

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Gow and zelda have both puzzles but let's be honest, they are super easy 99% of times, but botw has the better puzzle, no deny from me.
This is why I liked the original GoWs (including both PSP games), they had way better puzzles than the new GoWs which is much more combat oriented (but I still prefer the original combat)

However so does the traditional Zelda, puzzle wise

Last edited:

E-Cat

Form factor is very relevant to technology though, especially if we say something is "outdated".

None of the current platforms were outdated at launch. Its just that Nintendo chose a form factor that gives less power while Sony and MS chose a form factor that gives less flexibility.
I guess it depends on your point of view, then.

Tg89

100% agree with you. Also saying some crap games or average games have a $70 price tag. We all know how that goes. We only have to see how well Forspoken have sold really bad. Mediocre game with a high price tag. Callisto Protocol another game for 70$ and now that game cost $40 why? Also mediocre game. Those games don't justify a $70 price tag. That's why they sold poorly. Instead of using games like Elden Ring or GOW R they use as an excuse games that don't justify the $70 and in a couple of month you can get it in the clearance sale or with a 50% discount. Ragnarok ps5 cost $70 on Amazon right now. Even the ps4 version cost $60. Callisto cost $40 now and it's 1 month newer than Ragnarok.

I dunno what point this post is trying to make? Are you suggesting that TOTK will be in the same boat as Callisto/Forspoken and be on a discount in a few months because $70 is too much? Cause it will absolutely be in the Elden Ring/GOW:R category and be $70 for a long time due to it's success. Almost guaranteed to be more successful than GOW:R.

scydrex

I dunno what point this post is trying to make? Are you suggesting that TOTK will be in the same boat as Callisto/Forspoken and be on a discount in a few months because $70 is too much? Cause it will absolutely be in the Elden Ring/GOW:R category and be $70 for a long time due to it's success. Almost guaranteed to be more successful than GOW:R.
No. That's not my point. My point is neither callisto or forspoken justify the $70 price tag. If someone wants to compare TOTK to any other AAA game with $70 price tag then compare it to Elden Ring or GOW which both have big budget. Forspoken now is $50 in Amazon and Callisto is $40. The price of the game or budget dosen't mean to me if a game is bad or good but even an indie game dosen't matter if it's a 10/10 game can't have a price tag of $70. Nintendo first party games no matter which one dosen't go lower than $50. Look for Pokemon in Amazon for example even if it runs bad or have a lot of problems... why? Because is a Nintendo game.

Last edited:

Woopah

Bullshit. Every game after tears will be $70 in the next year. Not saying that tears isn't worth it but this blatant lying just sounds pathetic.
I think they'll wait until Switch 2 to raise things permenently to $70. Other Switch games will still be $60 or less.

Top Bottom