• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America President Doug Bowser Speaks Out Against Activision Blizzard

Jsisto

Considering Bowser's basically been a big nothing compared to Reggie, this seems like this he took the chance to make a token statement just to draw attention to himself.

It kinda bothers me that this is all he's accomplished for Nintendo in all his years so far when Reggie made an impact right on day 1.
Oh come on now, how is that fair? The job of a president hasn’t typically been to be a public personality and appear in videos/make goofs. Reggie clearly enjoyed doing that on top of the normal responsibilities of his job. Don’t mean to be an ass, but It’s a little ignorant to say this is “all he’s accomplished” when im sure he does plenty of stuff behind the scenes that we’ll never know about, just as Reggie did.

that bobby character looks like a right creepy slimey cunt. look at his little beedy eyes. he should definitely fuck off. always knew there was something fishy about him...what a creepy little man.

Fuz

Banned
Striped%20hyaena.jpg

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

Nintendo of America President Doug Bowser took over the position in 2019 for fan-favorite Reggie Fils-Aime. Bowser has not taken center stage as often as Reggie did during his tenure. But he appears to have taken a strong leadership stance in relation to the ongoing Activision Blizzard situation, calling it "distressing and disturbing."

According to Fanbyte, Nintendo of America President Doug Bowser recently sent out an email to all Nintendo of America employees and internal development teams, including the likes of Retro Studios and Next-Level Games. In the email, Bowser shared how the toxicity and sexual harassment within Activision Blizzard runs counter to what Nintendo stands for. He also noted that Nintendo is a company that stands for openness and inclusiveness, and that it even is working with the ESA to strengthen its stance against harassment and abuse in the workplace.
Jesus Christ, is this social media snowflakes spilling into corporate world? First people started treating LinkedIn as Facebook - I am sorry your son got cancer, but I would like to use PROFESSIONAL network for professional matters. Then they added a possibility to add your pronouns, because if there is one thing that is incredibly important while making money is your gender identity.

Now you have companies being compelled to comment on other companies for no reason whatsoever? Hey Nintendo, how is the same sex marriage working for your mascots, eh?

Jonathan Pryce GIF by James Bond 007

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Still glad they are doing it and I think Bobby deserves prison.
TF is wrong with you? Work a single day in a corporate environment and you will discover that C-Level is being paid to think and draw a big picture. Do you really expect the CEO to supervise each of his 9 500 employees?

Jesus Christ, is this social media snowflakes spilling into corporate world? First people started treating LinkedIn as Facebook - I am sorry your son got cancer, but I would like to use PROFESSIONAL network for professional matters. Then they added a possibility to add your pronouns, because if there is one thing that is incredibly important while making money is your gender identity.

Now you have companies being compelled to comment on other companies for no reason whatsoever? Hey Nintendo, how is the same sex marriage working for your mascots, eh?

Jonathan Pryce GIF by James Bond 007
You should relax a bit.

Basically Doug is just telling the company they take this into consideration, trying to provide a safe and inclusive space where everyone can keep doing their work without the fear of getting sexually assaulted or any other bad shit. If it's true or not remains to be seen, but at least it gives some peace of mind to people working there.

But heyyyyy, FUCKING PRONOUNS, GROW A PAIR AM I RIGHT? Fucking relax.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Basically Doug is just telling the company they take this into consideration, trying to provide a safe and inclusive space where everyone can keep doing their work without the fear of getting sexually assaulted or any other bad shit. If it's true or not remains to be seen, but at least it gives some peace of mind to people working there.
What? Do you really wonder each time you go to work if you will be molested or harassed by your co-workers? How is that even remotely possible?

What? Do you really wonder each time you go to work if you will be molested or harassed by your co-workers? How is that even remotely possible?
Well, I know someone to whom that happened and everyday for the next 2-3 weeks she felt fucking horrible about even showing up. Every time the guy would appear in front of her she would start running away, shaking (eventually he got fired because of it).

So yeah, I think if people keep seeing this type of shit happening in other companies, they might start wondering if their company is next.

Last edited:

th4tguy

TF is wrong with you? Work a single day in a corporate environment and you will discover that C-Level is being paid to think and draw a big picture. Do you really expect the CEO to supervise each of his 9 500 employees?
Usually no but in this case that’s exactly the information that came out. Bobby was directly aware of the issues that the company got reported on in the investigation. He knew about the rampant sexual harassment incidents and was aware of the other problems that came to light.
Prior to that revelation. That he was well aware for years without taking any actions to try and correct the situation, we weren’t seeing other companies speak out. Now that we know, people are calling for him to step down and other companies are assuring their employees that they won’t have to face that kind of environment there.

It makes total sense why this is happening.
If you ran a business and your employees were acting like total fools, eventually people look to you to fix it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Have EA and Steam jumped on this yet? I'd like to hear Gabe's take, otherwise I might consider him guilty by silence.

Oh come on now, how is that fair? The job of a president hasn’t typically been to be a public personality and appear in videos/make goofs. Reggie clearly enjoyed doing that on top of the normal responsibilities of his job. Don’t mean to be an ass, but It’s a little ignorant to say this is “all he’s accomplished” when im sure he does plenty of stuff behind the scenes that we’ll never know about, just as Reggie did.
The funny part about what you said is that it's technically still not part of a president's job description to be a public personality, which infers that Bowser deliberately chose to make this PR move himself. (Possibly against the advice of the more conservative Nintendo of Japan types.)
He's clearly doing this because he wants to be the next Reggie; it's not like he was forced to make a statement here. Nintendo doesn't even have any particularly strong bond with Activision/Blizzard/King anyway, so he's in a position where he could make this statement and it wouldn't cost Nintendo anything of real value to them unless NoA have their own skeletons in the closet ready to come out. Therefore, I feel as though critiquing his action here is fair game, and critiquing his current track record is fair when he's made it a point to publicly posture himself like this.

Plus, he's been at NoA for over two years by now; If he did anything of note, we'd have the story by now.

Shaqazooloo

Would've been more sincere if done internally only in order to boost morale among employees. Once you say it on the internet, it's just for brownie points. It's not like Nintendo gets that many games from activition
It wasn't public statement from what I can tell, just an email sent to employees that got leaked. Thread title is misleading.

Derktron

Banned
All this talk is bullshit, they won't do a damn thing especially Microsoft and moreover, Sony who has a major deal with Activision and the marketing rights to Call of Duty. Nothing will be done and it will be the same as usual. In my opinion, what would make such a major impact in this stupid gaming industry is that all three but more Microsoft and Sony especially Sony drop their assess as protest cuts all deals and games from Activision. Do that and Activision will sing. Because talking won't do shit. Action will. If they do that in the movie and music industry where they cut ties then the gaming industry should do the same. Cut ties with Activision and they will sing like it's their last breath.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Sony + Microsoft + Nintendo:
- That CEO should be fired because he didn't punish those guys who harassed women and we're reevaluating if we want to work with them in the future.

Also Sony + Microsoft + Nintendo:
- We should totally make more games for the Chinese market and release our consoles there, but we also need to do business with a government who oppresses 1 billion people, is probably responsible for our current pandemic and is practicing ethnical cleansing of 5 million muslims through slave labor, unsanctioned hysterectomies and murder.

This is not hypocritical at all.

Last edited:

Ellery

When it is brought to his attention that this is happening then it is his problem lmao TF is wrong with you

Jsisto

The funny part about what you said is that it's technically still not part of a president's job description to be a public personality, which infers that Bowser deliberately chose to make this PR move himself. (Possibly against the advice of the more conservative Nintendo of Japan types.)
He's clearly doing this because he wants to be the next Reggie; it's not like he was forced to make a statement here. Nintendo doesn't even have any particularly strong bond with Activision/Blizzard/King anyway, so he's in a position where he could make this statement and it wouldn't cost Nintendo anything of real value to them unless NoA have their own skeletons in the closet ready to come out. Therefore, I feel as though critiquing his action here is fair game, and critiquing his current track record is fair when he's made it a point to publicly posture himself like this.

Plus, he's been at NoA for over two years by now; If he did anything of note, we'd have the story by now.
Hes been president during an immense period of growth for the switch. Record sales, and provided value for shareholders. That's literally all that can be expected of a president that we'd know about. He's clearly more comfortable being a behind the scenes guy. Putting out one statement criticizing acti blizzard doesn't mean he's “trying to be the next Reggie". I think the statement was dumb and unnessary too, but let's be realistic.

Top Bottom