• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo overtakes PS5 at the end to become best-selling console in the UK for 2022. Ding: Gap between Switch, PS5 and Xbox Series "Very small" (60k)

https://gamingbolt.com/nintendo-swi...become-the-best-selling-console-of-2022-in-uk

Nintendo emerged on top "right at the last," says GamesIndustry's Christopher Dring, though there was a small difference in sales.​

The Nintendo Switch has beaten Sony’s PlayStation 5 in the United Kingdom to become its best-selling console in 2022. Citing Gfk data (with more to follow), GamesIndustry head Christopher Dring revealed that the former overtook the latter “right at the last” to emerge on top.

However, when asked if the difference between the three consoles (presumably including Xbox Series X) was very small, Dring replied, “Yes, very.” This seemingly indicates that Microsoft’s console also had a decent showing in the region last year.

Released in 2017, Nintendo’s console has sold over 114.33 million units worldwide as of September 30th, 2022. Supply shortages hindered the PS5 early last year, but sales began to pick up in the middle, with bundles for Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok having an impact. The console has shipped 25 million units worldwide as of September 30th, 2022.

Nintendo managed to come from behind "right at the last" according to Dring and the article, and passed the PS5 to become the best selling console in the UK for 2022 overall. Xbox Series and PS5 were however close behind, very close, and it looks like there's only 60,000 consoles between all 3.

So it looks like 2023 is going to be interesting and the UK is a free-for-all competitive market. Looks like UK gamers aren't being picky this gen and aren't consolidating around one console, at least not for now.

Looks like the UK industry is pretty diverse and healthy at the moment. I'm curious if we will find out if the US is the same or not within the next week or so.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I still don't understand this shit.
Some months xseries wins. Some months Switch wins. And some months PS5 wins.

It's very confusing with these narrow gap between all 3.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nice and healthy UK market

R.75880315d9b6f2833d05cac8b2fb98a0

Last edited:
Good luck seeing a Switch 2 for another 2-3 years lol

Switch is down incredibly from where it was a couple years ago, and even last year overall. There's just some territories where it's still selling without a major drop, and even then in this case we are talking about the Switch narrowly beating 2 supply constrained consoles. If there was more X and PS5 stock in stores who knows how thing may have turned out.

It's still selling impressively but it's falling behind the DS and PS2 by quite a bit now. We know it's down for 2022 but we'll have to wait until Nintendo next quarterly report to see how much.

For Xbox and PS5, it seems that both didn't ship enough consoles looking at installbase's discussion, and the gap between Xbox and PS5 in Nov was apparently 30k, but the gap between Xbox and Switch was 30k, so that indicates to me Switch likely passed PS5 because sales slowing down. I would put that to stock.

I would say 2023, by spring when production is really somewhat next to normal, if it doesn't happen before-hand, we are going to see the Switch in last place. However, by then the Switch 2 should be announce or about to be announced, as Nintendo only said there would be no new Switch reveal THIS fiscal year, and that ends in spring so...

Last edited:

reksveks

For Xbox and PS5, it seems that both didn't ship enough consoles looking at installbase's discussion, and the gap between Xbox and PS5 in Nov was apparently 30k, but the gap between Xbox and Switch was 30k, so that indicates to me Switch likely passed PS5 because sales slowing down. I would put that to stock.
I probably wouldn't say sales slowed down. I would probably say that the PS5 increase wasn't as large as the Switch one. Still got stock issues but you can actually buy the GoW bundle without invitation at the moment (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/videogames/?ie=UTF8&ref_=sv_vg_h__1)

Trying to find the 2021 numbers for UK or at least estimates

I probably wouldn't say sales slowed down. I would probably say that the PS5 increase wasn't as large as the Switch one. Still got stock issues but you can actually buy the GoW bundle without invitation at the moment (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/videogames/?ie=UTF8&ref_=sv_vg_h__1)

Trying to find the 2021 numbers for UK or at least estimates

Switch is down yoy, so while not impossible it's more likely sales slowed down for the PS5 given stock. Both X and PS5 had a bigger presence in Nov than Dec despite both stocking up for the holidays.

Considering how much Switch was pushed with deals in Nov, I'm not sure there was a boost in December over Nov.

reksveks

Switch is down yoy, so while not impossible it's more likely sales slowed down for the PS5 given stock. Both X and PS5 had a bigger presence in Nov than Dec despite both stocking up for the holidays.

Considering how much Switch was pushed with deals in Nov, I'm not sure there was a boost in December over Nov.
Switch does do stupidly well in December in comparison to the other two iirc. Someone at IBF will come up with an rough estimate soon enough.

Last year december: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/xbox-...uk-sales-in-strong-december-uk-monthly-charts

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
When was UK super Sony territory? If your talking about ps1-ps2 era sure, but most regions where Sony territory.

Its actually Microsoft that lost their lead against Sony in the uk coming from x360 generation.
I have a narrative in my head that says what I said was 100% accurate.

Nautilus

Banned
Nintendo keeps being the market leader thanks to its exclusive and innovative hardware.

2023 will be a different story, but it will be more because the Switch will be on its 7th year, rather than anything else.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
as long switch kept winning, the longer you need to wait for switch 2 and more games will run even worse on switch.

sandbood

Banned
Switch is down incredibly from where it was a couple years ago, and even last year overall. There's just some territories where it's still selling without a major drop, and even then in this case we are talking about the Switch narrowly beating 2 supply constrained consoles. If there was more X and PS5 stock in stores who knows how thing may have turned out.

It's still selling impressively but it's falling behind the DS and PS2 by quite a bit now. We know it's down for 2022 but we'll have to wait until Nintendo next quarterly report to see how much.

I would say 2023, by spring when production is really somewhat next to normal, if it doesn't happen before-hand, we are going to see the Switch in last place. However, by then the Switch 2 should be announce or about to be announced, as Nintendo only said there would be no new Switch reveal THIS fiscal year, and that ends in spring so...
Nintendo still has 2 important cards to play with Switch sales strategy.

-Official Price Cut(~50$ reduction is going to help Nintendo Switch greatly)

-3 in 1 Bundle(Similar to PlayStation and Xbox bundle sales and promotions with AAA titles like BOTW+SMO+Smash Ultimate)

Nintendo still has 2 important cards to play with Switch sales strategy.

-Official Price Cut(~50$ reduction is going to help Nintendo Switch greatly)

-3 in 1 Bundle(Similar to PlayStation and Xbox bundle sales and promotions with AAA titles like BOTW+SMO+Smash Ultimate)

I think you're overlooking why Nintendo hasn't cut the price this long, and if they do so it's likely they would do it only close or after the new Switch is announced or released.

Keep in mind both the PS4 and Xbox One never dropped below $299, and even the Wii U iirc only had one price cut and Nintendo had to keep the price higher than usual for margins even before sales completely went into the kitchen sink.

You would think by now they would have cut the Switch lite, but they haven't because that's probably close on the margins as well.

If they do decide to do one it will help sales in some regions a bit but it probably won't be at the level you are expecting to catch up to the DS or PS2, and it will be overshadowed by the next Nintendo system.

jdforge

Banned
Nintendo are going to release new hardware in the next year. They’ll be desperate to disrupt momentum of both PS5 and X Series just as both will be entering that sweet spot of their respective lifecycles.

That’s exactly the correct and most opportune time to disrupt.

yurinka

Nice to see all 3 doing a good job in UK. I think next year if PS5 manages to have good supply during the whole year will be top 1, and I assume Switch will start sunseting. I think this year Nintendo will announce its succesor, to be released next year.

Nah, PS2 had a very long life. I think Switch will have a shorter one, being replaced by a full BC succesor in a year or two from now.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That’s awesome. I remember the UK being super Sony territory. Glad to see that’s changed and it’s wide open.

Nice and healthy UK market

R.75880315d9b6f2833d05cac8b2fb98a0

It's so good to see. How it should be. If all consoles sell around the same and have record breaking sales. We all win! Healthy for everyone!

Can't believe it's so close this year. 2023 gonna be crazy.

Funny, but doubtful. Even if it is at 120M, it still has ~39M to go to pass the PS2. That's a tall order for a console on the decline and starting to reach saturation point.

If it is at 120M, that would make it down 30.5% YOY. Even if the next 3 years only see a 20% drop, that'll bring the total to 152M. I doubt the drops will be that low for all 3 years. Especially after Nintendo announces the Switch 2, either this year for a release in 2024 or in 2024 for a release in 2025. You're also going to see 1st party support start to dry up as they start switching development to have games ready for the Switch 2 launch.

Nautilus

Banned
Exclusive and innovative hardware that's easily available; PS5 is still not.
True. But doesn't change the fact that Nintendo is selling more.

Regardless, the PS5 should sell more in 2023 by simply having more stock available AND the Switch being an old system by now on its 7th(!!!) year.

Aldric

Good luck seeing a Switch 2 for another 2-3 years lol
That's not how it works. You don't release new hardware when sales of your current system are in the shitter, you do it in the decline phase, which is already where Switch is despite the fact it still dominates the competition (but then again with the hardware shortages and lack of exclusives it's not surprising).

They will have another massive year this with a new Zelda and fire emblem to start.

Depends on if the Sony stuff and Starfield/Redfall doesn't over shadow it. The first BOTW had the benefit of factors Nintendo never had with their handhelds, development and audience consolidation leaving the traditional home console market, it being a launch game, it being a year lacking big hard hitting releases in general giving it less competition, and the fact it was one of the few games you could by that was a major release for almost 2 years in many stores and was accessible, with only some other titles like Odyssey etc, coming into play. The mindshare it got made it a stable for pretty much most of the gen.

Now BOTW 2 isn't going to have any of that, and there are going to be major game releases not just from home consoles, but PC and mobile next year too.

It won't have the same impact, it will still do well though, but I'm also wondering how many of those who were sucked into BOTW 1 are actually going to carry over as new Zelda fans for BOTW 2. Many of those sales BOTW 1 got were out of nowhere from people who never touched previous games so it depends on retainership to.

I think 15 million on the high-end 8 million on the low end. The stuff mentioned above that gave Botw one 27 million won't be there this time.

feynoob

Banned
Funny, but doubtful. Even if it is at 120M, it still has ~39M to go to pass the PS2. That's a tall order for a console on the decline and starting to reach saturation point.

If it is at 120M, that would make it down 30.5% YOY. Even if the next 3 years only see a 20% drop, that'll bring the total to 152M. I doubt the drops will be that low for all 3 years. Especially after Nintendo announces the Switch 2, either this year for a release in 2024 or in 2024 for a release in 2025. You're also going to see 1st party support start to dry up as they start switching development to have games ready for the Switch 2 launch.
Difference is switch is very appealing console right now, with new kids on the horizon. I dont see this bad boy declining anytime soon.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah, I guess some people expected/wanted to Switch to fail but it didn't so they got pissed.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Depends on if the Sony stuff and Starfield/Redfall doesn't over shadow it.
Come on, you and everyone know there's literally ZERO chances of it happening, WTF is this reasoning? A big Zelda release is like the FIFA World Cup equivalent event of videogames, it happens once every so many years and there are so many people thirsty for it that there's nothing stopping it from dominating apart from Nintendo themselves doing some stupid shit and even then people are just used to Nintendo being Nintendo and still delivering, there's no Sony IP close to being as big and expected as Zelda, let alone two new IPs from Microsoft (and one being GaaS)

Come on, you and everyone know there's literally ZERO chances of it happening, WTF is this reasoning? A big Zelda release is like the FIFA World Cup equivalent event of videogames, it happens once every so many years and there are so many people thirsty for it that there's nothing stopping it from dominating apart from Nintendo themselves doing some stupid shit and even then people are just used to Nintendo being Nintendo and still delivering, there's no Sony IP close to being as big and expected as Zelda, let alone two new IPs from Microsoft (and one being GaaS)

The fact I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not, especially the bold is rather impressive.

Maybe if this was about Animal Crossing...

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
The fact I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not, especially the bold is rather impressive.

Maybe if this was about Animal Crossing...
No, people get crazy for Zelda being released, get literally angry for Zelda being delayed, they can have the best Direct it E3 ever but if there was nothing about Zelda that's all many YouTubers and influencers talk about, Zelda is just too big of an event in gaming, literally nothing overshadows it, that won't happen for the foreseeable future... I don't get their behavior but that's something I had to make myself understand too

Aldric

No, people get crazy for Zelda being released, get literally angry for Zelda being delayed, they can have the best Direct it E3 ever but if there was nothing about Zelda that's all many YouTubers and influencers talk about, Zelda is just too big of an event in gaming, literally nothing overshadows it, that won't happen for the foreseeable future... I don't get their behavior but that's something I had to make myself understand too
Don't bother, there's a particular subcategory of forum dwellers who've managed to convince themselves that Zelda was some sort of niche franchise artificially propped up by fanboys and bought journalists, these people are a lost cause.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Don't bother, there's a particular subcategory of forum dwellers who've managed to convince themselves that Zelda was some sort of niche franchise artificially propped up by fanboys and bought journalists, these people are a lost cause.
That seems to be it which is weird, haven't seen anybody deny how big a Zelda game is... Guerrilla Games definitely knew it on 2017 in cases they didn't before lol

BTW OT, Nintendo is Christmas basically, so the sales of their most successful console to date will always dominate unless something else happens, I didn't play a Nintendo game on christmas apart from Skyward Sword HD and felt all month it was lacking some Nintendo magic despite playing some amazing games like Shadow of Mordor and Code Vein, seeing some comments here makes me think it's just a general feel, there's a reason they won't announce a hardware before december to be released after, they make like 40% or so iirc of all FY revenues those days. Switch was an anomaly but just because they didn't even hide the Wii U was dead.

Mozza

why people get angry every time they see Switch selling well?
Surprised you need to ask, some can't get over the fact a low powered console hybrid is selling so well, as they do not see it themselves personally, as usual people in bubbles, talking to other people in similar bubbles.

brian0057

Banned
A $300 console ($200 for the Lite) with a plethora of games is outselling a $500 console ($400 driveless) with no games.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Top Bottom