• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Pennant Chase "indefinitely delayed," possibly cancelled

http://cube.ign.com/articles/624/624894p1.html

Delay of Game
Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball delayed "indefinitely," say sources.
by Matt Casamassina

June 13, 2005 - We've got some bad news for GameCube owners looking forward to Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball. The title, moved and pushed around the release calendar all year, has been "indefinitely delayed," according to sources close to the project. What this means officially is that the game no longer has a firm release date. Best-case scenario, this suggests that the title will not be debuting on Nintendo's console any time soon. Worst-case scenario, the project may never see the light of day.

Judging by the history of the videogame industry, indefinitely delayed titles have a bad habit of turning into vaporware. Of course, there's no proof that this fate will become Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball, but after a series of pushes, missing the baseball season, and a lukewarm response from press, the title's future does not appear to be shiny and happy at the moment.

Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball features the full MLB license for real baseball players, teams and stadiums. The title boasts a combination of arcade-fast play mechanics and simulation statistic tracking. It also features a unique speed play mode that enables gamers to control pitching and hitting, but not fielding, a style designed to quicken the experience.

There is no longer an official release date for Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Consolidate NPCB and Mario Baseball resources please.

Or... was NPCB US developed, MB JP?

Also removed from ebgames.com. I saw it listed in a Fry's ad a few days ago for 34.99, but I guess that was a mistake.

A lot of the art in the game looked suspiciously like another baseball game Exile worked on but does not have the rights to. Wonder if that is related to the delay.

Mashing

That's what I think they are doing... moving it to the Revolution so they can get it in for next years baseball season.

Alcibiades

why not send out a couple of shipments and sell it for $20...

it worked for Take-Two last year, the worst that can happen is they make some cash back for whatever the investment was...

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I don't think anyone was looking forward to this. They should put it on the Revolution instead along with a football game or something at launch....maybe try to build some kind of Nintendo sports brand. Nintendo totally dropped the ball on sports games this gen (and last gen too for that matter but not quite as bad) and it hurt them.

And they should ditch the "Nintendo" from the title and put MLB in there somewhere.

john tv

There's no point in releasing a subpar baseball game at this point. We're almost at the All-Star break already, and besides, it'll prolly just hurt Mario Baseball's sales. Hopefully they did cut it.

Did anyone play Geist at E3? Any chance that'll be next on the chopping block?

neptunes

It would be funny if controller had gyration and you actually had to swing your controller to hit the ball...:lol

EDIT: On second thought, I'm not so sure it would be funny :(

Meier

Mario Baseball was fun as shit in multi, but I could see it being very shallow in single.. I'd love it if they added some serious depth to it.

jgkspsx

neptunes said:
It would be funny if controller had gyration and you actually had to swing your controller to hit the ball...:lol

EDIT: On second thought, I'm not so sure it would be funny :(
So, played WarioWare Twisted much? :)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Why does anyone think that this would be held off and retooled for the Revolution? Do people really think they'll wait almost two years to release this? There's no way in hell that the Revolution will be released during the first half of 2006 so having this as a launch title when the MLB season is almost over (or completely done) would be stupid. So if it was remade into a Revolution title we wouldn't see it until Spring 2007. I can see this very easily staying a GCN title and seeing its release during spring training next year. Hopefully the extra development time will help it, we all know it did for Geist. :p

M3wThr33

Banned
I heard it's been extremely buggy and poorly done. I'm not surprised at all, especially with Mario Baseball coming up the plate, too.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Well...this sucks. And outside this board, every impression of Mario Baseball was that it was pretty bad at e3. Unlike the surprising Mario soccer game. FUCK!!!

Top Bottom