• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q3 FY 22/23 Earnings Report: Hardware 8.23M, 122.55M LTD. Pokemon S/V 20.61M

Nintendo's earnings report for the 3rd quarter of the fiscal year ending March 31st 2023 has been published, this covers the three month period from October 1st to December 31st 2022. The Nintendo Switch sold 8.23 million units of hardware and 76.71 million units of software bringing lifetime totals to 122.55 million for hardware and 994.30 million for software.

Year over year quarter 3 hardware sales are 23% (2.44 million) down from 10.67 million and software sales are 10% (8.69 million) down from 85.40 million.

Seven titles sold over 1 million units this quarter - New releases Pokemon Scarlet & Violet (20.61 million) and Bayonetta 3 (1.04 million) plus Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (3.59 million), Nintendo Switch Sports (2.46 million), Splatoon 3 (2.23 million), Animal Crossing New Horizons (1.42 million) and LOZ Breath of the Wild (1.21 million).

Nintendo have lowered their forecast from 19 million to 18 million hardware units and have also lowered their software forecast from 210 million to 205 million units
shipped for the current fiscal year.

Y70ScZT.png

Hardware

Switch Hardware Q3:
8.23m
Regional Split Q3: Japan 2.09m , America's 3.07m, Europe 2.42m, Other 650k
Model Variants Q3: Standard 2.99m, Lite 1.08m, Oled 4.15m

Switch Hardware Total: 122.55m
Regional Split Total: Japan 29.05m, America's 47.66m, Europe 31.71m, Other 14.15m
Model Variants Total: Standard 88.67m, Lite 20.40m, Oled 13.48m

Global Shipment History

whJLciM.png

Software

Switch Software Q3:
76.71m
Regional Split Q3: Japan 17.53m, America's 30.40m, Europe 23.08m, Other 5.69m
Tie Ratio Q3: 9.33

Switch Software Total: 994.30m
Regional Split Total: Japan 192.62m, America's 437.37m, Europe 289.47m, Other 74.84m
Tie Ratio Total: 8.11

Global Shipment History

IBctfUv.png

Nintendo reports sales data for software charting in the top 10 or that has sold one million or more units within the current fiscal year (from 1 April 2022).

Software Top 10

Total sales followed by sales added to the total in Q3

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 52.00m + 3.59m
Animal Crossing: 41.59m + 1.42m
Smash Bros Ultimate: 30.44m + 910k
Zelda BOTW: 29.00m + 1.21m
Pokémon Sword/Shield: 25.68m + 310k
Mario Odyssey: 25.12m + 720k
Pokemon S/V: 20.61m NEW!
Super Mario Party: 18.79m + 440k
Ring Fit Adventure: 15.22m + 350k
Pokémon Let's Go: 15.07m +260K

New Release + Others

New Super Mario Bros U:
14.75m + 1.44m (Q1+Q2+Q3)
Pokémon Legends Arceus: 14.63m + 720k
Luigi's Mansion 3: 12.44m + 1.01m (Q1+Q2+Q3)
Super Mario 3D World + BF: 10.82m + 1.39m (Q1+Q2+Q3)
Splatoon 3: 10.13m + 2.23m
Mario Party Superstars: 9.38m + 1.31m
Switch Sports: 8.61m + 2.46m
Kirby ATFL: 6.12m + 850k
Mario Strikers Battle League: 2.47m + 300k
Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 1.81m + 90k
Bayonetta 3: 1.04m NEW!

Million Sellers not updated this Quarter (1st Party)

Splatoon 2:
13.30m
Super Mario 3D All-Stars: 9.07m
Super Mario Maker 2: 7.89m
Legend of Zelda LA: 6.08m
Mario Tennis Aces: 4.28m
Clubhouse Games: 4.22m
DKC Tropical Freeze: 4.12m
Hyrule Warriors AOC: 4.00m
Kirby Star Allies: 3.98m
Legend of Zelda SS HD: 3.91m
Fire Emblem Three Houses: 3.82m
1-2 Switch: 3.63m
Paper Mario Origami King: 3.34m
Yoshi's Crafted World: 3.01m
Metroid Dread: 2.90m
New Pokémon Snap!: 2.74m
Arms: 2.66m
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 2.44m
Mario Golf Super Rush: 2.35m
Pikmin 3 Deluxe: 2.23m
Captain Toad TT: 2.13m
Octopath Traveller: 2.08m
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: 1.89m
Miitopia: 1.68m
Xenoblade Chronicles DE: 1.68m
Big Brain Academy Brain vs Brain: 1.59m
Mario Kart Live Home Circuit: 1.58m
Pokkén Tournament DX: 1.54m
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: 1.50m
Astral Chain: 1.28m
Wario Ware Get it Together!: 1.27m
Dr Kawashima's Brain training: 1.20m
Game Builder Garage: 1.06m
Bayonetta 2: 1.04m
Fire Emblem Three Hopes: 1.00m

Nintendo Switch compared to other high selling platforms with substantial quarterly hardware data

PHQy6Qw.png

Fiscal Year - 1st April to 31st March
Quarter 1 - 1st April to 30th June
Quarter 2 - 1st July to 30th September
Quarter 3 - 1st October to 31st December
Quarter 4 - 1st January to 31st March

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

Last edited:

Andyliini

Switch sales are actually a bit higher than I anticipated. I predicted 120 million. Anyway, the saturation point has clearly been reached, but Switch is still selling pretty well all things considered. It's also crazy to think that previously the gap between 3rd and 2nd best-selling game device was so large, over 35 million. Obviously it will be a lot smaller after Switch's run is done.

Robb

Gold Member
Still going strong, albeit starting to slow down. But they’ve definitely secured the spot as the third best selling console of all time. Curious to see if it’ll manage 140M, or more, with another revision and price drops.

Last edited:
Bar graphs for software and hardware

pNXYlgo.png

BKmOdE1.png

Since it's the end of the Nintendo Switch's sixth calendar year here are also hardware and software shipments for the calendar years

FwOGcy2.png

FwePiIj.png

Last edited:
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 had those usual JRPG legs and only moved an extra 90k this holiday quarter which is very poor and if it wants to be more than a niche series then Monolith Soft have to make the battle system more mainstream. On the brightside Kirby:ATFL and Splatoon 3 added a decent amount to their total sales this quarter.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think they release BOTW 2 in Q1 of the next fiscal year. I bet that bolsters some HW and SW sales. I am curious about the next Mario game, when that comes out. Hopefully holiday this year.

I think they release BOTW 2 in Q1 of the next fiscal year. I bet that bolsters some HW and SW sales. I am curious about the next Mario game, when that comes out. Hopefully holiday this year.
The next mainline Mario platformer will hopefully be a launch title for Switch's successor along with Mario Kart 9 or whatever they call it. Nintendo needs the big guns out in the launch window. They had Zelda and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe out in the launch window for Switch and with no new Zelda for the new console i think they need a Mario platformer plus Mario Kart for the 1-2 punch once again.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The next mainline Mario platformer will hopefully be a launch title for Switch's successor along with Mario Kart 9 or whatever they call it. Nintendo needs the big guns out in the launch window. They had Zelda and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe out in the launch window for Switch and with no new Zelda for the new console i think they need a Mario platformer plus Mario Kart for the 1-2 punch once again.
nothing punched like 1-2 switch.

Gambit2483

Zelda might give a nice bump to hardware but it's most likely going to continue dropping.

Not sure how they expect to sell better than last year when sales are clearly in a decline, especially in Japan where market saturation is higher and PS5 supply is increasing.

Reactions: TLZ

Woopah

Zelda might give a nice bump to hardware but it's most likely going to continue dropping.

Not sure how they expect to sell better than last year when sales are clearly in a decline, especially in Japan where market saturation is higher and PS5 supply is increasing.
The report was a production increase rather than a sales increase. It might be that Nintendo wants to build up a strong supply of Switchs before they move on to manufacturing Switch 2.

Mozza

About 1 million hardware and 10 million software lower than i was expecting but still decent considering the age and price of the Nintendo Switch.
I was thinking the Switch would be at 120 million so this is pretty awesome in my book, pretty sure they will do another 15- 20 million this year. Nintendo are ramping up production and no real price cut as yet.

Last edited:

Mozza

I don't think the Switch has another 28M in it. That's because the Switch 2 is probably only 12 months away and Nintendo will want to save production capacity for the Switch 2. Same thing that Sony did with the PS4.
That depends on when the Switch 2 is coming out, as a lot of this whole Nintendo need to bring out a successor soon mantra, is from the core minorities, and not what Nintendo need to do at all, more like what niche core gamers would like them to do..... two very different things.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This quarter Switch software passed Wii (921.85 million), DS (948.76 million) and PS1 (962 million). Next up is PS3 with 999.4 million and then PS2 and PS4 with over 1.5 billion. Personally i think Switch will end up around 1.4 billion by the end of it's life. https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/data.html
The insane part is how much of the software is first party, and full price.

The returns are probably higher than we are seeing..

Gambit2483

The report was a production increase rather than a sales increase. It might be that Nintendo wants to build up a strong supply of Switchs before they move on to manufacturing Switch 2.
True, you may have a point there. There's no way they could expect an increase in sales 6 years in with a steady decline in yoy sales.

Deerock71

They've never done a price cut. It's actually amazing how many more ways Nintendo can squeeze sales out of this tiny wunderkind.

EDIT- Something just hit me. Switch has Frostbite. What if Nintendo planned a Madden themed Nintendo Switch with EA? Clearly this is a mere flight of fancy in my head, but if EA has been working on ONE Madden for the Switch, that'd be a helluva way to make a splash.

Last edited:

Mozza

A lot will depend on tomorrows direct, and of course a Zelda themed Switch could fly of shelves.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
I don't think the Switch has another 28M in it. That's because the Switch 2 is probably only 12 months away and Nintendo will want to save production capacity for the Switch 2. Same thing that Sony did with the PS4.
believe it or not, sony is shipping ps4s again, they even have a call of duty bundle, anyway, Nintendo consoles tend to move between 5-15% of their lifetime sales after their successor so if the switch has a good 2023 (15-16 million units) and a higher end tail it can definitely knock out the ps2 with in my opinion an absolute peak of 162 million (unless Nintendo does something brilliant none of us see coming), if it has a weak 2023 say 10 million units and a lower end tail of 5% it will trail off a around 140 million (unless nintendo launches the successor way earlier and drop the switch like a hot potato)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Passed PS4 and the system is still selling.

I wonder if it has enough legs to beat PS2 at 150M. Would need two more solid years of sales, and Switch 2 has got to be around the corner which would makes sales plummet.

Last edited:
This quarter Switch software passed Wii (921.85 million), DS (948.76 million) and PS1 (962 million). Next up is PS3 with 999.4 million and then PS2 and PS4 with over 1.5 billion. Personally i think Switch will end up around 1.4 billion by the end of it's life. https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/data.html

360?

I wonder if it has enough legs to beat PS2 at 150M. Would need two more solid years of sales, and Switch 2 has got to be around the corner which would makes sales plummet.

No,

with the little overlap there is with home consoles, PS5 and Xbox will be picking up this year, a bunch of affordable gaming phones are dropping, or have already dropped and did better than expected, VR race is coming with influx, steamdeck/AOK competitors with decent prices are coming in, and Switch 2 announcement incoming which won't have the same factors Switch 1 had when it launched, so Nintendo will likely be putting more focus on its production.

I also don't expect Nintendo to drop any prices on any Switch models, and instead to phase them out for the Switch 2, with the possible exception of OLED, dropping to replace OG Switch as the new base, and the base will sell out stock.

Switch has already fallen behind where people though it would be to catch DS let alone PS2, and Nintendo has been dropping their forecasts.

Also PS2 was at 155, so they would need 33-34 million more, not 28.

I don't even see 12 million for this year just going with the trend and expecting a similar decrease % going off Nintendos dropped forecast numbers for the recent quarter, which should be more, but even keeping the same % decrease, I can't see 34 million more Switches sold in the next 3 years. Even if the Switch 2 was delayed to 2024.

Just might become the first 160 millions seller, depending on how strong its legs are, knowing that a successor is around the corner. The hybrid concept and the smart marketing did wonders for the Switch...That, and the allure of franchises such as Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. Bravo, Nintendo!

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I would like to know what the margins per Switch unit are. These things have to be pretty cheap to produce at this point, even with the recent electronics shortage and inflation. They use a 5+ year old production node (14nm I think), an SoC from 2015, cheap 720p screens (even budget phones have higher resolution screens these days), and just feel cheaply produced in general. I can’t see a regular Switch costing more than $150 to manufacture, and the Lite even less.

Speaking of the Switch Lite, I‘m surprised how low its numbers are. I was under the impression that the Lite and the regular Switch sold roughly 50/50, but instead the Lite makes up less than 20% of all Switches sold.

Last edited:

Mozza

Christ. Pokemon fans deserve what they're getting. 20 million for that shit? Obscene.
Or more proof outside of core graphic obsessives, that no one actually cares about any of this, they just buy games because they are fun, and tend to judge a product on what it does have, and not worry about minor details, I have the game and sure there are issues, but nowhere near the trainwreck some are suggesting.

The annoying thing about Microsoft is they don't release any numbers for hardware or software so we don't know. However the XB360 was a very American-centric console and the North American region historically has a very high software tie ratio so it likely passed 1 billion easily.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Nintendo's earnings report for the 3rd quarter of the fiscal year ending March 31st 2023 has been published, this covers the three month period from October 1st to December 31st 2022. The Nintendo Switch sold 8.23 million units of hardware and 76.71 million units of software bringing lifetime totals to 122.55 million for hardware and 994.30 million for software.

8millions in three months, 19M for the entire fiscal year.
But let's throw everything away and release a Switch 2.

Last edited:

Mozza

8millions in three months, 19M for the entire fiscal year.
But let's throw everything away and release a Switch 2.
Another thing to takeaway from this report is Switch owners are still buying lots of games, which has to be a good thing when Nintendo move on to their next console, pretty sure when they brought out the Wii U, most had simply moved on, leaving only the Nintendo die hard customers.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I don't get why Nintendo have to Rush to a next gen console. Why not sell it for another 4 years. Way underpowered but Nintendo gamers have never cared much about that.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 had those usual JRPG legs and only moved an extra 90k this holiday quarter which is very poor and if it wants to be more than a niche series then Monolith Soft have to make the battle system more mainstream. On the brightside Kirby:ATFL and Splatoon 3 added a decent amount to their total Sales this quarter.
I think Nintendo’s happy with Xenoblade’s trajectory as a series. It’s a solid 2+ million guaranteed sold every installment. And it has grown a lot since the Wii.

Those are the spenders you want buying your console, hungry for the next Xenoblade game or remake every 18-24 months that will buy it for the full $60 every time.

Last edited:
Regional Hardware

ON0wx54.png

Regional Software

WEh3rOu.png

For Year over year hardware everywhere was down, Europe and Other tanked the worst. For software Japan had it's best quarter ever, Europe was slightly down and Other was flat. The drop in software was almost entirely down to the America's declining by 9 million from a year ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom