• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q4 FY22/23 Earnings Report, Hardware 3.07M, LTD 125.62M.

fallingdove

Is the switch the best console ever made? Not far from it. Some could argue.
Lol. It’s pretty easy to argue against it actually. Outdated, overpriced hardware, poor build quality, a minority share of the generation’s best games. One of the worst online experiences available.

They do have Smash and Kart Ultimate, Metroid Dread, Mario Odyssey, Eastward, XBC 1-3, and the BOTW twins, but I don’t think that comes close enough to putting them in the top tier.

Nautilus

Banned
Lol. It’s pretty easy to argue against it actually. Outdated, overpriced hardware, poor build quality, a minority share of the generation’s best games. One of the worst online experiences available.

They do have Smash and Kart Ultimate, Metroid Dread, Mario Odyssey, Eastward, XBC 1-3, and the BOTW twins, but I don’t think that comes close enough to putting them in the top tier.
Laugh Lol GIF

Jooxed

Gold Member
Im sad Fire Emblem and XC3 are much lower than their predecessors because htey are superior games. Hopefully they have some legs.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Decent results overall however the biggest disappointment of this report was the sales of Metroid Prime Remastered, it was about 900k short of what i expected. It looks like the shadow drop backfired.
I dunno what people were expecting. It's a very niche series and it's not a shooter. I also don't think they really advertised it besides the Direct.

I think 1m is pretty great, and maybe a MP4 will renew interest.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I just kinda read a load of jibberish in the first paragraph then the second one just listed banger after banger so I guess you're backing up that it is?

😉

DKPOWPOW

No new hardware till after 2024 eh? With TotK dropping I can see them maybe scraping out
another 10-15 million consoles thru March of next year... But without a revision it could be a really steep drop after that.

I can't see them sailing past the DS or PS2 without something to spike hardware sales. A defective Zelda OLED ain't gonna do it.

It's mini, micro or pocket time.

I don't think a price drop will do much, unless it's on the OLED.

These are solid numbers so far, though I wish Prime did better. It's looking like we are still 1.5 to 2 years away from another console. A bit surprised, but I think it means the Switch 2 will just be that much better.

Astral Dog

I think its the best Nintendo console in general.

As in,Switch is not without its fair share of flaws,its not trying to just 'copy' the other consoles, but there is both quality and quantity there,it delivered and surpassed the expectations of the fans,and offers an unique experience in the console space

Its an impressive handheld system on its own that appeals to both casual and hardcore gamers, and you will notice the Nintendrones are just asking for more of the same, they don't want a total reinvention of the wheel, just higher quality graphics and more games,because they are mostly happy with the concept and what it is

Nautilus

Banned

As in,Switch is not without its fair share of flaws,its not trying to just 'copy' the other consoles, but there is both quality and quantity there,it delivered and surpassed the expectations of the fans,and offers an unique experience in the console space

Its an impressive handheld system on its own that appeals to both casual and hardcore gamers, and you will notice the Nintendrones are just asking for more of the same, they don't want a total reinvention of the wheel, just higher quality graphics and more games,because they are mostly happy with the concept and what it is
I agree with everything. I just want to point out its not a handheld system, but rather a hybrid console.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I guess Sony is the only manufacturer with new hardware coming later this fall (rumored at least)? Guess I'm going with that then for Spiderman and FFXVI. Was hoping for new a Switch iteration this year so I could buy the new Zelda and finally play Metroid Dread, but Nintendo is gonna Nintendo.

fallingdove

Nintendrones would be happy to pay $500 for a piece of bread with Link, Mario and Samus toasted on it’s face.

As a multi-console owner, I don’t need Nintendo to deliver something identical to MS or Sony. I do need them to ship a product that actually holds up, especially if I am paying a premium. Joy-cons are an absolute joke and it’s unacceptable that Nintendo charges what they do for them given their cheap parts and poor engineering.

Also, the switch is a fine console but one of the all time greats? The Super Nintendo takes a shit on the Switch from great heights and there are multiple Nintendo portables that surpass the handheld-ness of the device. And we aren’t even bringing Sega, Microsoft, and Sony consoles into the conversation.

Woopah

Geez Nintendo is determined to squeeze every ounce of sales they can out of this thing. With no AAA compelling software after Zelda.

It's going to get ugly in September/ October
At this point we have no idea what first party software Switch will have after Pikmin 4, and whether it will be compelling or not.
There is no reason for Nintendo to cut into their profits with a new console right now why would they hit reset on their user base when they don't have to?

E9edatT.png

ykvjCUw.png
A new platform is not something that will cut into Nintendo's profits, it is the thing that will lead to their profits growing again.

Gambit2483

At this point we have no idea what first party software Switch will have after Pikmin 4, and whether it will be compelling or not.

A new platform is not something that will cut into Nintendo's profits, it is the thing that will lead to their profits growing again.
Ahh yes, it's not a Nintendo sales thread without a Woopah contradiction 😏

Yeah well Nintendo isn't inspiring the most confidence beyond Pikmin at this point...

Baki

15M would be a very good FY7. Perhaps a good holiday with some aggressive pricing and bundles will get them to that number.

Woopah

Ahh yes, it's not a Nintendo sales thread without a Woopah contradiction 😏

Yeah well Nintendo isn't inspiring the most confidence beyond Pikmin at this point...
What's the contradiciton? Obviously Nintendo has not revealed their entire 2023 lineup yet, but we have no idea how many games will be in the 2nd half or what size those games will be. That's all I'm saying.

Gambit2483

What's the contradiciton? Obviously Nintendo has not revealed their entire 2023 lineup yet, but we have no idea how many games will be in the 2nd half or what size those games will be. That's all I'm saying.
And yet it's reported that Zelda will be the last AAA title for the platform...but ok sure, MP4 is coming this holiday...🙄

Woopah

And yet it's reported that Zelda will be the last AAA title for the platform...but ok sure, MP4 is coming this holiday...🙄
Well MP4 will come to Switch at somepoint so TOTK won't be the last first party AAA ever. It is likely that TOTK will be the Switch's biggest game for 2023, but there could still be several medium-size titles left for the year. We'll have to wait for the next Direct.

What was the contradiction in my post?

Nautilus

Banned
Rumor? You sure about that..? You think Nintendo has a major AAA after Zelda...🤔
We don't know. That's the whole point.

And while clearly not as big, Metroid Prime Remastered was shadowdropped, and no one reported on that. Which just goes to show that insiders are either half the time wrong, or Nintendo just is that good at keeping things under wraps.

Deerock71

Well MP4 will come to Switch at somepoint so TOTK won't be the last first party AAA ever. It is likely that TOTK will be the Switch's biggest game for 2023, but there could still be several medium-size titles left for the year. We'll have to wait for the next Direct.

What was the contradiction in my post?
Someone just wants to fight.
Melissa Mccarthy Fight GIF by Saturday Night Live

MrA

Banned
Someone just wants to fight.
Melissa Mccarthy Fight GIF by Saturday Night Live
which steven seagal movie is this?

nintendo definitely needs something else ready if they aren't releasing switch 2 until after march 2024, a year long dry spell would destroy any remaining steam the switch has and stumble the momentum of the successor.

I'm wagering we'll see a pokemon spin off there isn't a main game this year, a new punch out or racing game would be nice surprise,, maybe a new glory of heracles, anything to keep releases coming, if they don't nintendo is definitely putting themselves behind the 8ball.

Chastten

Banned
Those tie ratio's always surprise me as they're so low. I think my lowest ever was Xbox, which I only bought 15 or so games for. Every other console and handheld I've had anything from 20 to well over a 100 games for.

I mean, it shouldnt be surprising as I have several friends who literally only bought GTA5, a single Fifa and a single F1 game for their PS3, PS4 and now PS5, and there are probably tons of people like that but it seems like such a waste to own an expensive piece of hardware only to barely use it.

Tams

Gold Member
With an aggressive price drop, it would sail past that milestone.

But Nintendo are tight bastards, so probably not.

Profits, not milestones.

You could blast past all console sales if you were prepared to throw away billions.

Three

The only time I see them dropping the price is when the Switch 2 launches. To both give a more premium look to the new console to appear more expensive by comparison and to use the Switch as a entry level product.
If they push crossgen it's more likely that they would discontinue it I would say, rather than take a hit in profits to sell a cheaper device.

Jinzo Prime

I mean, it shouldnt be surprising as I have several friends who literally only bought GTA5, a single Fifa and a single F1 game for their PS3, PS4 and now PS5...
Makes me wonder how well a Switch 2 that could play un-gimped versions of FIFA and GTA6 would sell. Imagine one system that has Call of Duty, Mario Kart, FIFA, Animal Crossing, GTA, and Pokemon.

I just kinda read a load of jibberish in the first paragraph then the second one just listed banger after banger so I guess you're backing up that it is?

😉

I always saw hardware and software as two different things. It's possible to have amazing hardware and then a bad software library.

I own both an Original Switch and an OLED Model. Hardware wise it's extremely weak. However most games designed for it seem to work well despite that. There are a few exceptions like the last few pokemon games which could have benefitted from more powerful hardware.

As for the software library there's no arguing there. Its amazing for Nintendo 1st party titles. There are also great 3rd party titles as well however the Switch doesn't get the same support at the PS5 and Series do. I personally have to own either an Xbox or PS5 to have access to the majority of 3rd party titles.

With that said the Switch is a great system but not because of its hardware but because of its software. Without solid games there wouldn't be a reason for me to own one. All Nintendo has to do is keep releasing great games and I will continue to play my Switch.

Nautilus

Banned
Makes me wonder how well a Switch 2 that could play un-gimped versions of FIFA and GTA6 would sell. Imagine one system that has Call of Duty, Mario Kart, FIFA, Animal Crossing, GTA, and Pokemon.
People won't take me seriously when I say this, but imagine: Nintendo is already beating Sony with the Switch, a console that gets ~25% of third party support that PS gets. Now imagine if a Switch 2 has 100% of third party releases. With the far superior first party catalogue that Nintendo has, why would anyone with a tight budget get a PS system instead of a Nintendo one? And in that scenario, PS systems would be great secondary systems at best.

If Nintendo fixes their third party situation, both Sony and MS are truly fucked.

yurinka

Does this make for the highest software sales of any Nintendo console to date?
Maybe. But for Nintendo, as I remember PS4 was at 1600-1700, when PS5 was released Sony started to merge their software sales

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

If Nintendo fixes their third party situation, both Sony and MS are truly fucked.
If it happens, Sony might just have to get back into the handheld market with a competing device, they can't afford to let Nintendo run away with it.

If Microsoft is smart, they will make a PC/Xbox handheld, a la the Steam Deck, running an ultra lite version Windows 11 that allows you to play all your Steam and Xbox games.

Mario Games on Switch

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe:
53.79m
Super Mario Odyssey: 25.76m
Super Mario Party: 19.14m
New Super Mario Bros. U: 15.41m
Super Mario 3D World + BF: 11.38m
Mario Party Superstars: 10.17m
Super Mario 3D All-Stars: 9.07m
Super Mario Maker 2: 7.89m
Mario Tennis Aces: 4.28m
Paper Mario Origami King: 3.34m