• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo says stop using its 2005 Wi-Fi dongle

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

In a recent blog post, Nintendo informs its customers that they should discontinue using their Wi-Fi dongle in their PCs. This is predominantly because their 17-year-old hardware still uses WEP encryption which is now easily bypassed.

For security protection, we ask that customers who are currently using the product stop using it immediately and switch to a commercially available network device.

I'm not exactly sure why they've just now decided to post this, as WEP has been inherently insecure for years. It was even pretty insecure in 2005.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You can't tell me what to do.
Hacking Rocco Botte GIF by Mega64

Impotaku

Even back in the day i used this but it was hit & miss getting it to work with my firewall up. People give nintendo shit nowadays about online but i have had zero problems connecting online for playing or buying from eshop with my switch or even 3DS i can't say the same for my PS4 for whatever reason it's absolutely shit when i try to connect to the store maybe 4 times of about 10 attempts i can get in. Weirdly downloading is fine but getting past the blue cycling ps logos is a trial and a half i have to use the website to get PS4 games.

daveonezero

Banned
Probably a lawsuit the public doesn't know about?
There can’t be a lawsuit of people using insecure technology.

If so all SMS and SIM card providers would be open to lawsuit.

If you look at 0 days and vulnerabilities people do network scans and show huge amounts of servers, devices, routers usually leave exploits open because no one runs the security update.

Last edited:

jshackles

CS Lurker

I bought one to play MK DS online in 2006 (2007?). That thing was a pain in the ass. The chances of it not working properly were 50%.

Last edited:

Tams

I'm surprised both this and the original DS didn't support WPA, it was already commonplace for routers in 2004.
No, I remember there being lots of WEP devices around at the time. There were quite a few news articles going over the difference and why people should upgrade, but with plenty of warnings about some devices not working anymore.

And honestly, if you live in a rural location you don't need WPA2/WPA/WEP. I mean, it's good practice, just in case, but that chances of a snooper coming around are almost zero.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Man I forgot this thing existed. A really strange piece of kit. I can see it in 2005, but who could possibly be using this today? Its only use case is if you have a Wii or DS you want to take online, no Wifi network, and a PC with internet access.

A bit late on this memo, Nintendo....

Tams

Man I forgot this thing existed. A really strange piece of kit. I can see it in 2005, but who could possibly be using this today? Its only use case is if you have a Wii or DS you want to take online, no Wifi network, and a PC with internet access.

A bit late on this memo, Nintendo....
They don't sell either device anymore. But people do still use them.

As already speculated, perhaps some legal action sparked this warning. .Or perhaps someone at Nintendo/Nintendo's legal team were reviewing things and this popped up. By having an official comment in it, rhey absolve themselves of any legal repercussions should someone have their security compromised by using these devices.

BlackTron

Gold Member
They don't sell either device anymore. But people do still use them.

As already speculated, perhaps some legal action sparked this warning. .Or perhaps someone at Nintendo/Nintendo's legal team were reviewing things and this popped up. By having an official comment in it, rhey absolve themselves of any legal repercussions should someone have their security compromised by using these devices.

I know they don't sell them anymore lol, but again does anyone really still use this? A person with a net-connected PC and no wifi network who wants to connect their Wii or DS online? I mean you'd have to try harder to have a connected PC and no wifi network, they usually come in the modem/gateway now lol.

I can buy that they wanted to cover their asses, but not because anyone is still using it...

Tams

I know they don't sell them anymore lol, but again does anyone really still use this? A person with a net-connected PC and no wifi network who wants to connect their Wii or DS online? I mean you'd have to try harder to have a connected PC and no wifi network, they usually come in the modem/gateway now lol.

I can buy that they wanted to cover their asses, but not because anyone is still using it...
Considering that mobile netork plans can be really quite expensive, yes.

A very, very small number of people (at least in developed countries) might have a computer that has Internet access, but can't share it. There are still a lot of old computers out there in use.

Now, such a person is unlikely to have a Nintendo console, but still.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Considering that mobile netork plans can be really quite expensive, yes.

A very, very small number of people (at least in developed countries) might have a computer that has Internet access, but can't share it. There are still a lot of old computers out there in use.

Now, such a person is unlikely to have a Nintendo console, but still.

You spelled it out for me. The conditions to make it useful are just too narrow.

1) You must have a Wii or DS you want to take online
2) You must have a PC with Internet, and no Wifi network.
3) It must be more viable in 2022 to use this old dongle than to just get or create a wifi network.
4) With the option to create a hotspot with a phone, it's even less likely.

I'm not saying Nintendo was wrong to issue the warning, just that it was about a decade late being potentially useful reaching anyone.

Ev1L AuRoN

Funny I've never seen a Wi-Fi dongle that only do WEP encryption, I didn't even know this is a hardware feature... Probably another case of Nintendo refusing to license the tech in order to save pennies.

Probably a lawsuit the public doesn't know about?
This is what wikipedia says, the Australian lawsuit is against Buffalo, not Nintendo:

Discontinuation[edit]​

While Nintendo hasn't come forward explaining the reason for the discontinuation of the device, manufacturers Buffalo Technology are reportedly no longer licensed to distribute it due to a successful recent lawsuit[12] by the Australian Government's technology research agency CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization). As a result, the company has been prevented from trading in any products adhering to the 802.11a/g standards in the US,[13][14] including the Nintendo Wifi USB connector.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
[/URL]

In a recent blog post, Nintendo informs its customers that they should discontinue using their Wi-Fi dongle in their PCs. This is predominantly because their 17-year-old hardware still uses WEP encryption which is now easily bypassed.

I'm not exactly sure why they've just now decided to post this, as WEP has been inherently insecure for years. It was even pretty insecure in 2005.
*UNsecure

Tams

You spelled it out for me. The conditions to make it useful are just too narrow.

1) You must have a Wii or DS you want to take online
2) You must have a PC with Internet, and no Wifi network.
3) It must be more viable in 2022 to use this old dongle than to just get or create a wifi network.
4) With the option to create a hotspot with a phone, it's even less likely.

I'm not saying Nintendo was wrong to issue the warning, just that it was about a decade late being potentially useful reaching anyone.
A decade ago there were still many devices using just WEP around. It was sort of an accepted security hole. And phones supporting hotspotting, and carriers that let you, were still uncommon.

The link also says that the dongle ceased being shipped in 2010. The Japan-only device in October 2013.

Last edited:

Tams

Funny I've never seen a Wi-Fi dongle that only do WEP encryption, I didn't even know this is a hardware feature... Probably another case of Nintendo refusing to license the tech in order to save pennies.
This has already been covered in this thread. At the time of both these products' releases, especially the dongle, WEP was still very common.

And the dongle was made by Buffalo.

LordOfChaos

Nintendo gonna Nintendo. It's possible an active attack using this devices vulnerability was recently found that we don't know about yet.

jigglet

Banned
A decade ago there were still many devices using just WEP around. It was sort of an accepted security hole. And phones supporting hotspotting, and carriers that let you, were still uncommon.

The link also says that the dongle ceased being shipped in 2010. The Japan-only device in October 2013.

It's not about how many of them were around. It's about public consciousness. Even at that time, the average internet-goer knew WEP was shit. It's not like that was only really known in hardcore cyber security circles. If you're matter-of-factly just saying this is how it was, ok fine. But if you're sticking up for Nintendo, then they really don't deserve it.

Last edited:

cireza

They are only saying this because they are using this accessory in huge quantities to handle the entirety of the Nintendo network, and just discovered that it was obsolete.

Last edited:

Tams

It's not about how many of them were around. It's about public consciousness. Even at that time, the average internet-goer knew WEP was shit. It's not like that was only really known in hardcore cyber security circles. If you're matter-of-factly just saying this is how it was, ok fine. But if you're sticking up for Nintendo, then they really don't deserve it.
Many people did not. You are misremembering almost two decades ago.

And I'm not 'sticking up for Nintendo'. It's a none issue for a device that they stopped selling over a decade ago.

jigglet

Banned
Many people did not. You are misremembering almost two decades ago.

And I'm not 'sticking up for Nintendo'. It's a none issue for a device that they stopped selling over a decade ago.

Many people did. It’s you who is misremembering this. But of course we could go around in circles on this forever so what’s the point.

The real point is this: look at the number of times you’ve replied to this thread. Clearly there’s passion behind it. If it’s not fanboyism then what is it, some unusual attachment to the WEP protocol? Your actions tell all.

Last edited:

Tams

Many people did. It’s you who is misremembering this. But of course we could go around in circles on this forever so what’s the point.

The real point is this: look at the number of times you’ve replied to this thread. Clearly there’s passion behind it. If it’s not fanboyism then what is it, some unusual attachment to the WEP protocol? Your actions tell all.
Nah, I'm just bored with too much free time.

Each post takes, what? 2 minutes at most to type out?

theclaw135

Banned

The DS and its software stack (original DS game cards can't use WPA when played via backwards compatibility) never supported anything better. Even though WEP was already deprecated prior to the DS launch, Nintendo went ahead with releasing the system the way it was.

Last edited:
Top Bottom