• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo says the transition to its next console is ‘a major concern for us’

Woopah

Apparently you can just upgrade your console and keep adding to the same sales total. Like if ps5 had been called the PS4 super-pro they could aim for 200 million ps4s sold! Then we could just add graphics sliders and resolution choices to PS4 games and stop all this scalping nonsense.

Makes me wonder why we count things like this. Isn't it userbase and software sales that are important over hardware anyways
It's basically up to the hardware manufacturer. Sony upgraded the PS4 to the PS4 Pro and counted it as the same sales. Microsoft upgraded the Xbox One to the Xbox Series S and counted it as different sales.

93xfan

Banned
Apparently you can just upgrade your console and keep adding to the same sales total. Like if ps5 had been called the PS4 super-pro they could aim for 200 million ps4s sold! Then we could just add graphics sliders and resolution choices to PS4 games and stop all this scalping nonsense.

Makes me wonder why we count things like this. Isn't it userbase and software sales that are important over hardware anyways
New console means it will have some exclusive content the old system couldn’t play. PS5 and Xbox Series have exclusive games the prior gen cannot play.

ManaByte

Right, because the manufacturer gets to decide which upgrades count as a new generation and which count as the same generation. That was my point.

No, the hardware decides. The PS4 Pro still had the same Jaguar CPU as the PS4, thus it was still part of that generation. The Xbox Series S has the same Zen CPU Series X, and is part of that generation; not the Xbox One gen.

Raploz

As long as they don't try to reinvent the wheel they should be fine. Portable gaming has always been their bread and butter. They knew that and with their dedicated console sales declining gen over gen, the only way forward for them was the Switch. They managed to make a successful console and completely integrated their portable/home teams. I'm sure they won't go back to the separate home console/portable route, which means the only way forward for them is to continue on the Switch path. I'm sure they'll probably try to add some gimmick to entice customers to upgrade, but the core experience will stay the same.

DaGwaphics

I'm still shocked there isn't a TV only "switch" yet. Drop the battery and the screen, could probably cheapen the cooling since the device wouldn't need to be as thin.

Woopah

No, the hardware decides. The PS4 Pro still had the same Jaguar CPU as the PS4, thus it was still part of that generation. The Xbox Series S has the same Zen CPU Series X, and is part of that generation; not the Xbox One gen.
The Wii has very similar architecture as the GameCube. It could have been part of the same generation as the GameCube or a different generation, depending on how Nintendo branded and marketed it.

nikos

If I get my post lightly mocking users if some systems edited, then so should you.

I didn't mock anybody though. Nintendo put out some consoles that seemed gimmicky to me. I still bought them, along with every console they've put out since NES, often multiples of each. Same goes for other manufacturers.

Just because your posts got modded doesn't mean everybody else's should.

sachos

My top 3 wishes for the Switch 2: Backwards compatible, automatic improvements on BC games like what Xbox Series and PS5 does, home console only (not portable) version that would be strong enough to run the Switch 2 games with modern resolutions and stable framerates (games would ofcourse be developed with the portable version in mind).

Rykan

The Wii has very similar architecture as the GameCube. It could have been part of the same generation as the GameCube or a different generation, depending on how Nintendo branded and marketed it.
I don't know why this is being so overcomplicated.

A new generation means a new line of hardware. How much the hardware has improved over the previous one or how similar it is is largely irrelevant. If games require you to purchase new hardware and won't run on old hardware, it's a new generation.

Last edited:

Synless

litreally Switch 2, done fucking deal. No need to do anything different with the console as the handheld/tv setup is perfect. Add VR down the line, boom, done deal.

Tams

Gold Member
Are you seriously calling upon mods because I said Nintendo has used gimmicks in the past? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
No, I'm not seriously. It was a joke. Too advanced for you apparently though.

But if we're going to be all serious like you, then you did use the term 'gimmick' which is almost exclusively used as a derogatory term. And that's certainly how you meant it.

Problem is how will the "switch 2" (or whatever they call it) be innovative. That seems to be where Nintendo has been at the last 15 years.

Wii - motion controller.
WiiU - tablet but wasn't successful
Switch - tablet and cool joycon functionality.
Switch 2 - where do we go from here?

BlueHawk

Neo Member
All they literally need to do is a Switch Pro.
They surely must keep the consoles handheld from this point? If not maybe they can do a deal with Apple and just release a software layer like Gamepass for iPhone/iPads? They are already far more powerful than Switch.

Tams

Gold Member
All they literally need to do is a Switch Pro.
They surely must keep the consoles handheld from this point? If not maybe they can do a deal with Apple and just release a software layer like Gamepass for iPhone/iPads? They are already far more powerful than Switch.
I can't see them tying their fortunes to another company like that, nor do I think it would be a good idea.

Woopah

A new generation means a new line of hardware. How much the hardware has improved over the previous one or how similar it is is largely irrelevant. If games require you to purchase new hardware and won't run on old hardware, it's a new generation.
That doesn't work either since the Gameboy Colour, DSi and new 3DS had exclusive software but were not new generations. Meanwhile the Xbox Series was a new generation at launch without any exclusive software.

What defines a generation is when the hardware manufacturer says it's one.

Last edited:

Rykan

That doesn't work either since the Gameboy Colour, DSi and new 3DS had exclusive software but were not new generations. Meanwhile the Xbox Series was a new generation at launch without any exclusive software.

What defines a generation is when the hardware manufacturer says it's one.
But thats a bit nitpicky though. The gameboy colour has always been a topic of discussion whether its a new generation gameboy or an iteration of the original gameboy, but the DSi and "New" 3DS both shared the overwhelming majority of games with their original counterparts, the DS and original 3DS respectively. The amount of exclusive games are very minor.

Compared to say, the series console. Yeah most games are multi generational now because its still early, but the overwhelming majority of Series games won't be playable on Xbone hardware by the end of the generation/

The PS4 and PS4 pro share the exact same software lineup, but the Xbone and Series S will eventually have very different software lineups. I think it's prety apparent that there's a clear difference.

Woopah

But thats a bit nitpicky though. The gameboy colour has always been a topic of discussion whether its a new generation gameboy or an iteration of the original gameboy, but the DSi and "New" 3DS both shared the overwhelming majority of games with their original counterparts, the DS and original 3DS respectively. The amount of exclusive games are very minor.

Compared to say, the series console. Yeah most games are multi generational now because its still early, but the overwhelming majority of Series games won't be playable on Xbone hardware by the end of the generation/

The PS4 and PS4 pro share the exact same software lineup, but the Xbone and Series S will eventually have very different software lineups. I think it's prety apparent that there's a clear difference.
I'm not arguing with any of that, I'm just saying that the rule of "If games require you to purchase new hardware and won't run on old hardware, it's a new generation" is not true.

The main decider on whether something is a new generation or not is what the manufacturer says. We don't need to wait for the majority of Xbox Series games to be unplayable on Xbox One before declaring it a next generation console. We already knew that because Microsoft marketed it as a next generation console.

The next console needs to be able to fully play the Switch library, and arguably, should be able to carry over your Switch account and record of purchases, save data, cloud backup, etc. Like the way that Series X/S and PS5 are with their old-gen versions. No more starting over from scratch.

The vast majority of switch owners are casual gamers. Convincing them and especially their parents to buy a brand new console just because it has better graphics has always been a hard sell for Nintendo.

This is why Sony and Microsoft really have left the kid-friendly games to Nintendo and focused their attention on older gamers who can largely buy their own consoles. Both companies used to put a lot more into kid/family-friendly gaming when they were competing directly with Nintendo.

Look up Nintendo console sales history. They are better off coming up with a new type of console with a new gimmick, but gimmicks can be hit or miss. It's dangerous.

There is a reason people are still buying Mario Kart and it continues to be a top seller. The base Switch games are all you need.

You come out with Zelda 2 on a Switch 2 and it doesn't work on Switch... oh boy, that game is not going to sell nearly as well. If the game works for both, now no one will buy the Switch 2 (no one, meaning the vast majority of people who own the Switch already).

The vast majority of switch owners are casual gamers. Convincing them and especially their parents to buy a brand new console just because it has better graphics has always been a hard sell for Nintendo.
I don't think this is true at all. Switch is a very gamer-centric console, vs the DS & Wii. The top-selling games are not casual games.

And if you make a new console, with a different name, and show the goods with new games, a new platform should do fine. Maybe not repeat Switch-level success, but they'll do just fine. Like you point out, series like Mario Kart and Pokemon are popular with gamers + non-gamers and casual gamers. And Nintendo knows Mario Kart appeals far outside of the core gamer.

Last edited:
I don't think this is true at all. Switch is a very gamer-centric console, vs the DS & Wii. The top-selling games are not casual games.

And if you make a new console, with a different name, and show the good with new games, a new platform should do fine. Maybe not repeat Switch-level success, but they'll do just fine. Like you point out, series like Mario Kart and Pokemon are popular with gamers + non-gamers and casual gamers. And Nintendo knows Mario Kart appeals far outside of the core gamer.

Smash, AC, Mario Kart, Zelda, and Pokemon...

Sure...

Shubh_C63

Nintendo doesn't really have end in mind when making hardware, just need to complement their software at the time.

They think they can innovate with hardware every gen cycle but sooner or later they won't be able to.

Kabelly

Smash, AC, Mario Kart, Zelda, and Pokemon...

Sure...
To me the definition of a casual gamer is someone who plays video games but it's not their main hobby.

People that play these games have hundreds and hundreds of hours in them. I would not consider that "casual."

Seems like another code word for "nintendo are baby games"

To me the definition of a casual gamer is someone who plays video games but it's not their main hobby.

People that play these games have hundreds and hundreds of hours in them. I would not consider that "casual."

Seems like another code word for "nintendo are baby games"
Not calling them baby games, but people who do play these games like mario party and mario kart would probably not necessarily consider themselves gamers nor would they buy considerably expensive consoles or upgrades just due to graphics.

That's how I'm defining casual, not as a pejorative.

Even Nintendo know they have a pattern of going from success to failure. Whether their next system succeeds or fails is anyone's guess.

There are steps they can take. Like not naming it something stupid. Just call it switch 2 and build off of the switch momentum and success but this is Nintendo we're taking about. They never do what anyone expect.

Krathoon

They definitely need to make it backwards compatible. I am getting sick of all this different game media and hardware. Make all the games downloadable.

Last edited:

TheGecko

Banned
My take on it is this will be it for Nintendo. Will they chase the money with a switch 2 or will they create a new console as they have always done?

My guess is they make a switch 2 and for me this will be a sad day. The Last innovator in games will have succumbed.

Last edited:

Krathoon

The WiiU was such a clunky ass piece of crap. The thing takes two outlets. I don't have any room to set it up anymore.

I guess people in their 20s and 30s need their parents to buy them consoles.......

resize

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2021/211105e.pdf

Switch isn't a gimmick. it's a console where you're able to play some of the best games in the industry on your TV or on the go at an affordable price.

I know you'd love to believe the Switch is the equivalent of Grandma and baby Billy having some giggles playing Wii Sports for a few random weekends, but unfortunately for you most of the Switch audience is here to stay and will be pumped to buy the Switch 2.

Don't think Nintendo is also after hardcore gamers? Look up the industry veterans they've been hiring for Metroid Prime 4.

Going to tell you right off the bat I don't believe this data and would love to see where they're coming up with the ages. Are 5 year olds creating accounts putting in their age as 5? Seriously asking. Or do their parents put in their age and the kid plays on their account?

Show me a time where Nintendo upgraded their device with just more power and sold more than the previous iteration, in their history.

That they're only on Metroid Prime 4 a franchise that started in 2002 (Prime) should tell you everything you need to know about how serious they are about core gamers...

Robb

Gold Member
Going to tell you right off the bat I don't believe this data and would love to see where they're coming up with the ages.
I’m not certain, but I’m fairly sure that data was presented to investors as part of Nintendos financial results for a quarter, i.e. making it up would be illegal since it’d be misinformation.

Edit:
Full presentation

Last edited:
I’m not certain, but I’m fairly sure that data was presented to investors as part of Nintendos financial results for a quarter, i.e. making it up would be illegal since it’d be misinformation.

I'm not saying it's made up, I'm just saying the foundation of the data could be really misleading.

If they're basing it on the account data, then I guarantee you it is off base.

Robb

Gold Member
If they're basing it on the account data, then I guarantee you it is off base.
Not sure how that could be the case when there are staples for children at the age of 2 years old.

But maybe I’m misunderstanding what you mean. I couldn’t find how the data was derived in the presentation unfortunately.

Or do you mean that e.g. someone who’s 15-years-old have registered that they’re 2 etc.?

Last edited:
Not sure how that could be the case when there are staples for children at the age of 2 years old.

But maybe I’m misunderstanding what you mean. I couldn’t find how the data was derived in the presentation unfortunately.

Or do you mean that e.g. someone who’s 15-years-old have registered that they’re 2 etc.?

No, I'm saying in most of these cases the parents would have registered rather than the kids, so the kids would be under-represented and adults over represented.

FStubbs

Nintendo just should release a Switch 2 with same features and better graphics.
There's a chance they just might. If we consider the handheld side, we see:

GB/GBC (if you consider them one platform)
GBA

DS
3DS

Switch
???

By that pattern, Switch 2 will be pretty similar with some minor gimmick.

The only thing is, Switch is also a console, and Nintendo's been all over the place on that side.

Robb

Gold Member
No, I'm saying in most of these cases the parents would have registered rather than the kids, so the kids would be under-represented and adults over represented.
Ah, gotcha! Thanks for the clarification.

Could be for the higher age groups. Although I’d argue most people between 18-30, where the majority is, are unlikely to have children of their own. But that’s just a hunch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom