• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2: as fast as the PS4, with DLSS and 4K at 30 FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
RjsjgUp.jpg

- The console is codenamed "Hawk" ("HWK"), while the Switch 2 Development Kit is codenamed "HTW".

- There are some small "tricks" along with the "hybrid" features of Switch (without specifying them).

- Performance is comparable to PS4.

- 7-inch 1080p OLED screen.

- DLSS support is included, which indicates that the SoC will be NVIDIA again.

- 4K at 30 FPS seems doable.

- Nintendo provided screenshots of a tech demo similar to Star Fox to show its advantages and disadvantages.

- Support for Ray Tracing (but not expected to be used much).

- 16 GB of RAM. 2 GB for the operating system. Games will use 10 GB, 4 GB of Swap?

- The cartridges will be slightly wider than the original Switch. Height and depth do not change or are very similar.

- Some files may load very quickly. Common decompression types are supported and there is a new one "HLZ".

- "Next-gen" patches are possible. Nintendo has been pushing for next-gen exclusives.

- Systems can transfer data stored with other systems or with "Communication Companion Devices" (CCDs).

- Third-party companies have not seen the CCDs. Switch Lite consoles were delivered as placeholders.

- Each CCD can be linked to a user profile, allowing the CCD to act as an intermediary for communication between its linked system and other systems/CCDs. The CCD devkit allows developers to simulate multiple systems.

- The code name "asynchronous encounter communication" (AEC) has been created.

- Games cannot rely on up-to-date information and should allow "multiplayer responses".

- There were some talks about streaming multiplayer games to smartphones, but the current status of development is unknown.

- Expected to launch in the second half of 2023.

onQ123

As fast as the PS4 and 4K with 30fps?

lol. People who make this stuff up really should learn more about DLSS and what it does and does not do.
To be fair if it wasn't for the limits of the HDMI & older tech I'm pretty sure PS4 could render portable game graphics in 4K.

The fact that these games will be made with one device in mind means they have free range to push for higher resolution.

UnNamed

Banned
If it is fake, it's a good fake. At least some people know how to make fakes.
Also, a leak like this next to the GDC has more credibility, since it has sense Nintendo has shown the system to third party developers at the GDC.

Fakes usually push bullshits to the limits like "Powerful as a PS5" or "Powered by shrinked Cell". Fakes don't focus on futile info like cardridges or demo or codenames.

EDIT:
For example, 4Chan spoiled the Switch launch with this info:

jss.png

No one would invent fake names for unknown titles like ARMS and Has Been Heroes, fakes usually rely on well known titles .

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Why the laugh?

Not surpassing PS4 would almost be an insult for Nvidia.

Why?

The Snapdragon XR2 Gen 2 chip that will be used for the upcoming CHEAP Quest 3 & Pico 5 and a ton of smartphones. Will have 2.4TFlops, ray tracing and tensor cores, +30% more powerful than base PS4 and with a much more modern feature set and better CPUs.

If Nvidia cannot compete with Qualcomm's mass produced (cheap) mobile gaming chip of 2023, they might as well stop the mobile business.

I don't believe the 4chan rumor, but beating PS4 should be the least shocking thing out of all those statements.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Why the laugh?

Not surpassing PS4 would almost be an insult for Nvidia.

Why?

The Snapdragon XR2 Gen 2 chip that will be used for the upcoming CHEAP Quest 3 & Pico 5 and a ton of smartphones. Will have 2.4TFlops, ray tracing and tensor cores, +30% more powerful and with a much more modern feature set.

If Nvidia cannot compete with Qualcomm's mass produced (cheap) mobile gaming chip of 2023, they might as well stop the mobile business.
I find those two sentences laughable.

I haven’t seen a base PS4 game be 4k let alone with raytracing.

Buggy Loop

I find those two sentences laughable.

I haven’t seen a base PS4 game be 4k let alone with raytracing.

Does PS4 have DLSS?

Nobody is saying that games will have ray tracing AND native 4k 30 fps. Hell, even without ray tracing, devs will surely use DLSS anyway.

And 2013 GPU didn't have ray tracing.. i know, shocking.

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Last edited:

Banned
I guess it’s a matter of opinion

if it's well implemented it looks fantastic.

in Deathloop for example you can absolutely mistake it for a native 4K image with a slightly blurry TAA on top.

Doom Eternal can look better than native + TAA with DLSS Performance at 4K in many levels.
Doom's TAA has more motion artifacts than DLSS and it also looks blurrier at times

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Fake 4chan post
4k 30fps but has DLSS?
DLSS would enable 60fps at 4k because it's not a true native 4k render.
DLSS is some magical shit

Last edited:

splattered

I know the point of the switch is that it's hybrid and therefore has to be weaker because of the mobile aspect... But I hate that. I wish it was a TV focused higher power machine with the ability to stream games to a phone or other hand held like xbox has been working on

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The Snapdragon XR2 Gen 2 chip that will be used for the upcoming CHEAP Quest 3 & Pico 5 and a ton of smartphones. Will have 2.4TFlops, ray tracing and tensor cores, +30% more powerful than base PS4 and with a much more modern feature set and better CPUs.
Doesn't Qualcomm actually count the FP16 throughput in their GPU compute numbers for marketing?
That would put it well below the PS4 in FP32 (1.2 TFLOPs) which is pretty much what counts on modern games. Not to mention memory bandwidth.

UnNamed

Banned
Snapdragon couldn't reach 2.4TF without throttling even with watercooling, I would be surprised if a Switch 2 will pass 2TF.

4K/30 is doable, but just in few cases. Mario Kart 8 on Switch runs at 1080p/60, I can see no reason to play a similar game at 4K30. A <2TF GPU like the GTX1050 can run 4K games with reduced settings. There are many videos to prove it, so I don't know why people are surprised. Even Cyberpunk could run with some tweaks:

(of course it's a bit stretched example, but still)

Most of the game will run at 1080p anyway.

Buggy Loop

Doesn't Qualcomm actually count the FP16 throughput in their GPU compute numbers for marketing?
That would put it well below the PS4 in FP32 (1.2 TFLOPs) which is pretty much what counts on modern games. Not to mention memory bandwidth.

No its coherent with the past chipsets with the Quest 1 snapdragon 835 @ 0.56 TFlops, Quest 2 snapdragon XR2 (865 see below) at 1.37 TFlops (changes because of GPU clock interval)

Na5bJ4J.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom