• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 rumors revived by Nvidia job listing for next-gen console developer tools engineer

tusharngf

A job listing posted by Nvidia for the position of game console developer tools engineer has reignited speculation in regard to a next-gen Nintendo Switch device such as a Switch 2 or Switch Pro machine. The wording of the job description certainly hints at an ongoing Nvidia SoC/Nintendo Switch 2 collaboration that has long
been rumored.
Nintendo_Switch_2_Nvidia_DLSS_drdNBC_5.jpg

Things have been reasonably quiet on the Nintendo Switch successor front as of late, with just a considerable leak in March hinting at possible development on the next-gen console. A recent report from Tech4Gamers has now revived Switch 2 speculation thanks to the discovery of a job listing posted by Nvidia. The advert is for a “Game Console Developer Tools Engineer”, which considering it’s for a company whose main focus is GPUs, is hardly earth-shattering for Nintendo fans. But the exciting part for those who are hopeful for a Nintendo Switch 2 to arrive sooner rather than later is in the job description.

The listing reads that the graphics card company is “looking to hire a deeply technical, creative and hands-on software engineer to pioneer the next generation of Graphics Developer Tools for Game Consoles.” In addition, Nvidia wants someone that will “build tools that enable developers worldwide to harness the full power” of its GPUs. It might be reaching a little, but that could certainly indicate Team Green is seeking a hire who would be capable of working on the Nvidia SoC that will likely be at the heart of a Nintendo Switch 2 console.

Other potential next-gen console contenders, such as the PlayStation 6 and future Xbox, will utilize AMD’s know-how for their processor parts, so unless a new Nvidia Shield Portable is in the works then Nintendo is the most likely game console manufacturer to benefit from this development. Nvidia’s SoC for the Switch 2 (more likely designation at this point than a “Switch Pro” model) is expected to support DLSS for graphics enhancements and should vastly outperform the Switch’s Tegra X1 SoC if it ends up being based on a customized Orin chip as previously reported (for instance, 204.8 GB/s memory bandwidth vs. 25.6 GB/s for the Tegra X1).

Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Ninte...onsole-developer-tools-engineer.619894.0.html

ParaSeoul

It will be shown when its ready to be shown, before everyone expects a powerhouse remember Nintendo still prefers a mass market friendly price and a battery that lasts more than 1 hour for games
They'll still be aiming for lower resolutions so it shouldn't be an issue. Cooling might be a bigger issue than battery size,a lot of phones have thermal throttling issues.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I just hope it's not anemic. We've seen already some very powerfull amd portable chipsets, I hope this isn't 5 years outdated when it launches.

Banned
followup consoles go into development almost immediately after the last console released. and Nintendo would be stupid to break backwards compatibility with Switch titles, so of course Nvidia makes the chip for the Switch 2, and of course the Switch 2 is now in thr late stages of design

MrA

Banned
I just hope it's not anemic. We've seen already some very powerfull amd portable chipsets, I hope this isn't 5 years outdated when it launches.
If it’s Orin based like rumors suggest, the cpu should be well past ps4 xbone and the gpu should like 1.5 tflops handheld and 3 tflops docked, if they go 720p 1080p the use some sort of dlss solution in the dock (based on another rumor) to get 4k, coupled with like 10x the memory bandwidth the switch 2 will be the most competitive console in terms of power they’ve released in 20 years

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
With keeping the same form factor there's only so much you can do. Nintendo isn't going to make a 600 console. They want to make money. I'd be surprised if it's much more than a steam deck but with dlss mandatory.

THE DUCK

If it’s Orin based like rumors suggest, the cpu should be well past ps4 xbone and the gpu should like 1.5 tflops handheld and 3 tflops docked, if they go 720p 1080p the use some sort of dlss solution in the dock (based on another rumor) to get 4k, coupled with like 10x the memory bandwidth the switch 2 will be the most competitive console in terms of power they’ve released in 20 years

If that ends up true I will be a happy camper.
Just hope they then go oled and enhance the joycons.

Woopah

Would it not be best for them to wait till 2025
Switch 1 has a chance to be the best selling console of all time
if they release Switch 2 too soon they might never get that chance to past PS2
Nintendo cares about profits. Milestones like beating the PS2 mean nothing to them.

Rat Rage

I mean what is Nvidia gonna do? Letting AMD design the next Switch for 100% home console market share? Of course they are gonna do their best to work with Nintendo again.

Looks like it will be pretty close to Series S level,with DLSS performance might even be better.
Lol no chance, if u know anything about tech, you would know the max power would be about about 1tf, so it would be less powerful then the xbox one, which is why i think there won't be a switch 2 but a switch pro. As there would be very little difference in graphics.

Buggy Loop

I need a Tegra Atlan Switch.

With Ada GPU, yesssssss

Imagine that little monster.

Now the question is not if Nvidia can, but if Nintendo wants..

Nintendo can always surprise (or not depending on cynical levels) and pick a tegra X2 based on 2016, underclock it and remain on a 16nm node to be cheap as fuck.

McRazzle

Lol no chance, if u know anything about tech, you would know the max power would be about about 1tf, so it would be less powerful then the xbox one, which is why i think there won't be a switch 2 but a switch pro. As there would be very little difference in graphics.
The cuda core count from the NVN2 leak would suggest XSS level of power.
Mochizuki from Bloomberg/WSJ stated a long time ago it would have PS4Pro/XSX range of power.

Although, it certainly wouldn't be in the Switch form factor though.
This is either an Ipad sized tablet or home console with Switch 2 specs launching along side BOTW2;
I don't buy that it took six years to finish BOTW2, it's a proven system seller and they waited until hardware was ready.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Because Nintendo consoles aren’t over powering gamers are expecting more of the same.

Mister Wolf

With Ada GPU, yesssssss

Imagine that little monster.

Now the question is not if Nvidia can, but if Nintendo wants..

Nintendo can always surprise (or not depending on cynical levels) and pick a tegra X2 based on 2016, underclock it and remain on a 16nm node to be cheap as fuck.

I wish they would charge $500 so we can get an Atlan Switch with all the bells and whistles.

Lognor

Banned
With keeping the same form factor there's only so much you can do. Nintendo isn't going to make a 600 console. They want to make money. I'd be surprised if it's much more than a steam deck but with dlss mandatory.
Gotta have quick resume too. Going from the xsx to switch is such a challenge new due to no quick resume. It's a game changer and switch 2 has to have it.

Quick resume, dlss, and bc makes it a day one buy.

V4skunk

Banned
Switch wasn't 5 years out dated when it launched 5-6 years ago.
And the Nvidia Orin chip is a beast for mobile hardware.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

Would it not be best for them to wait till 2025
Switch 1 has a chance to be the best selling console of all time
if they release Switch 2 too soon they might never get that chance to past PS2
Mate, no disrespect, but adults don't care about that kind of pointless pissing contest. They will release the console when they deem appropriate to maximize their profits.

Boy bawang

Part of the specs have leaked. Based on that, it seems that base PS4 before dlss is the floor.

THE DUCK

Switch wasn't 5 years out dated when it launched 5-6 years ago.
And the Nvidia Orin chip is a beast for mobile hardware.

The nvidia x1 was over 2 years old when it launched, it was outdated when it launched.

ParaSeoul

I am not sure if they can even reach the xbox one performance in portable mode
with the switch 1 form factor
Hopefullt they're not that dumb and make it a bit thicker. Not talking about Steam Deck levels but its still ARM and should probably not have to be.

ParaSeoul

Have you been paying attention to the ARM space? They could easily make a powerhouse if they tried but then again this is Nintendo. Thats the real limiting factor.

nocsi

Have you been paying attention to the ARM space? They could easily make a powerhouse if they tried but then again this is Nintendo. Thats the real limiting factor.
Lol like anything that’s happening in the ARM space is reflective. ARM is just an instruction set and doesn’t indicate anything to do with performance. Whether or not they make a powerhouse is entirely dependent on which hunk of junk Nvidia is willing to sell Nintendo. People in this thread seem to have forgotten the history as to why Nintendo even went to Nvidia for the pile of shit the tegra was in the first place. They got an incredible deal to take that trash off Nvidia’s hands. Nintendo probably prefers going down a route that is less reliant on Nvidia.

Part of the specs have leaked. Based on that, it seems that base PS4 before dlss is the floor.
Those are fake rumours lol
Exactly, im putting Nintendo's history as a factor, as well form factor, battery life, cost, etc, you guys will be heavily disappointed if you think it will be more then 1tf, unless u think it will have 1 hour battery life, and the size of a steam deck lol

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Those are fake rumours lol

Exactly, im putting Nintendo's history as a factor, as well form factor, battery life, cost, etc, you guys will be heavily disappointed if you think it will be more then 1tf, unless u think it will have 1 hour battery life, and the size of a steam deck lol
I don't have a Switch and will most likely not be buying anything Nintendo given their shitty practices since the Wii so I don't think I will.

TAS

How would that compare to the Steam Deck?

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Wouldn't even put it past nintendo to just reuse the tegra x1 but 50% faster on a new node and relay on FSR. Basically pulling a wii.

Soosa

Banned
2 year old was nothing, take your meds and don't bother looking at how out of date ps5 was at launch.
Switch launch price were 380-399€ (~400-430$) here. So talking from that stand point.

On mobile world, even more back then, 2 years is long time. On PC/home console world it is kind of different thing (ps5/series x)

And PS5 (or series X) werent really out of date at launch, maybe not the fastest GPUs on the market, but some features were really good considering the size + price point.
Just looking at the price point they actually still are better than what PC can offer at same size + price point. Unlike switch which did launch low to average mobile specs at premium price.

Also to be considered:
Switch launched with 2? years old tegra X1, but with LOWER clocks than stock tegra X1
and had low amount of slow ram.
and had low amount of flash space.

Back then phones had already 6 Gb of LPDDR4 ram, 64 Gb flash+ OLED screen at 399€ price point.
Just as an example that adding more ram + flash would not have made switch to cost hundreds more as it werent that cutting edge to have more than 4 GB of ram + 32 Gb of flash back then.

So tegra X1 were easy but not the best option and other specs were "as low as possible". Were it the fastest mobile SoC back then? maybe when cooled and S stock clocks, but other mobile chips would have been also fast with similar cooling and custom solutions could have been better.

My point is, that while tegra X1 could have been the best stock option, they could have gone with custom route and have at least faster CPU cores + 8 Gb of ram + more memory bandwith and bit more gpu performance.

"but whom wants to pay 600€ for a switch?!" says people, well it still would not cost more if Nintendo would have been satisfied with lower profit margins.
Even back then people calculated that adding 2x the ram+flash would have been like 10-20$ more of manufacturing cost for the chips only.

Of course these devices are compromises between features and price, but selling the product for premium price sucks.
Kind of if ps5 + series x would have had series S specs but the same price as now. Or having old slow HDDs.

Does Switch still sell? yes
Is it a gold mine to Nintendo? yes
is it as good gaming device as it could have been with ~400€ launch price? definetly not

If switch would have launched with 250-299€ price then it would have made more sense specs wise, but selling it for same price as PS4 at launch is IMO too high for device with these specs.

Vita had tons of custom features, and were sold for like 250-300€ I think, which would have been the right price point for switch from consumer perspective. But vita failed for other reasons.

I have ps5 + sxs + switch, but switch have been gathering dust since 2017, partly because specs are so bad that it doesnt get ports for modern games or they are unplayable (to me), and it takes ages to get BOTW2.

I guess my final point is, that gamers should stop defending Nintendo for their hardware choices, because gamers would only gain if they would be bit more up to date, even games like zelda+mario could benefit from it.

And we should not expect too much from "switch 2", my guess would be something like PS4 level of performance, which would still be much better for 3rd party games.

Top Bottom