• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: "Switch business has exceeded our expectations", will invest $900m in game development in next 5 years

Ezquimacore

Banned
A lot of that will depend on whether those developers want to be bought. If not, money will be better spent on continuing to grow EPD and MonolithSoft.

Having said that, it would be cool if they founded an EPD in North America.
it's called Retro Studios

DragonNCM

is-that-it-taron-egerton.gif

Handel

Switch successor line-up going to be insane with all this extra money towards more developers/studios.

they know that China and South Korea are catching up fast in gaming industry, so they better expand and improve their IP library .....plus there's new competition in handheld, Steam Deck

Tams

Gold Member
They already do invest a lot in making games. Man, some you here are eejits.

And investing more is risky. If it's contracted out, then the direct risk is lessened, but the risk of the quality declining increases.

Directly investing means entering into employment contracts that can add up very quickly, especially if you're talking about hiring professionals. And sure they'll save a bit with the generally low salaries in the games industry and the lower ones in Japan. But even with it now being easier to fire/release employees in Japan, it is still expensive to do so. So any hiring is a big commitment.

ManaByte

Switch successor line-up going to be insane with all this extra money towards more developers/studios.

Here's what I'd do if I were Nintendo:

Target a 2025 release for the new system. That's the 40th anniversary of both Mario and the NES. Make it powerful enough to handle UE5 without any hitches. Launch with a new Mario. HUGE blow out and sales. Due to the 40th marketing they can do.

Begin development NOW on a Demon's Souls style UE5 full remake of the original Legend of Zelda to launch in 2026. Full eye melting UE5 graphics, full voice acting. It'd print money on Zelda's 40th anniversary.

Deerock71

I can actually process that, methinks. It seems as if they're hunkering down with the Switch, as opposed to starting new software for systems not announced yet. They want to push this thing beyond the DS and PS2, which, let's face it, is a photo-finish.

kiphalfton

I'm referring to the people that are emulating Metroid Dred and other SWITCH GAMES on PC...
Exactly what I'm referring to as well. You can dump/rip games you own. Has been the case on GameCube, Wii, Wii U, and now switch.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I'd recommend they buy Mercury Steam, Grezzo. Maybe in some crazy world buy Platinum if they're at risk of Tencent takeover.
Nintendo has said in the past they don't like to buy developers in a risk of them wanting to be independent and leaking talent(Platinum Games certainly wants to be independent and publish their own games, alongside working with Square Enix and Nintendo) , its not always a good strategy for them, though there are exceptions.

Anyways this money will be for making games in-house, not buying developers

Last edited:

Neff

Wait, Nintendo's response is we should actually start making more games for this thing? What on Earth ...

Isn't that how you normally sell the thing to begin with?

raw

Nintendo platforms typically start to weaken in sales after 4-5 years, at which point Nintendo starts to shift development to its next platform while still releasing the odd title for its current one. The way this is worded sounds like they're going to continue to go all in on Switch because it is simply not slowing down.

Interesting wording. Does this imply that the "Switch" brand is here to stay at least for another gen? I mean it can't mean they are expecting this gen1 Switch to still be getting new titles for another 5 years. Right?

I think we'll have Switch for another 3 years or so- they'll do a Switch 4K or/and Switch Micro to keep the thing going and then finally give us Switch 2.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Is it just me or is that a really pedestrian sounding amount?

Not even $200m a year. I would have assumed they were spending more than that already. 🤷‍♂️

Not even $200m a year. I would have assumed they were spending more than that already. 🤷‍♂️
Yup I agree that's like what MS spends per year on Halo

But they did spend $50k so far on the online infrustructure

RCU005

I want them to release a powerful console for once, but of course it will never happen, because they are making millions while still making wii games with barely better graphics. I imagine they have very low development costs comparing to other developers.

Buggy Loop

I mean, they aren’t making games with hyper realistic graphics that require ~300+ devs. Zelda being the biggest money eater probably out of all their franchises due to planning and scale, but would still probably be a tiny fraction of an Ubisoft budget for an assassin’s creed.

SirTerry-T

More whimpering in this thread than my household full of pets on a Guy Fawkes weekend.
The Switch is great and the games are great, the D.F threads are that way ^^^

Homer Simpson Eating GIF

waverace, pilotwings, fzero, mario odyssey 2, exciteback, A Link To The Past remake, Donkey Kong Country 4, Yoshis Island 3, ... , ...

gimme all you got Nin

jigglet

Banned
Wait, Nintendo's response is we should actually start making more games for this thing? What on Earth ...

Isn't that how you normally sell the thing to begin with?

raw
Remember this is the Nintendo that said - 3 years into the Wii U’s life cycle - we have to figure out a way to show why this touchscreen is so unique.

lol

bender

What time is it?
Homer Simpson Eating GIF

waverace, pilotwings, fzero, mario odyssey 2, exciteback, A Link To The Past remake, Donkey Kong Country 4, Yoshis Island 3, ... , ...

gimme all you got Nin

I'd settle for ports of Blue Storm, GX, Galaxy 2, Thousand Year Door and Excite Truck.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I mean, they aren’t making games with hyper realistic graphics that require ~300+ devs. Zelda being the biggest money eater probably out of all their franchises due to planning and scale, but would still probably be a tiny fraction of an Ubisoft budget for an assassin’s creed.
True, but let’s not kid ourselves the demand would be there: we certainly would not be “oh a hyper realistic Metroid 4 with crumbling ruins and dynamic global illumination and intricate texturing, no ouch can we have simple graphics instead?”.

Nintendo is making the games they want to make and how they want to make them, and there is lots to respect in there, but with games and with HW they also keep want the audience is happy / puts up with in the equation. Their console prices and game prices are not low and rising, we are not taking about £40 games and £199 consoles.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Good for them. The Wii U was a catastrophe in many ways and hence short lived, but they came firing on all cylinders out of the gates with the Switch. Lots of great Switch games. Looking forward to what a larger investment will yield.

Top Bottom