• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch in the UK is on-course to have the most successful year for a games console since Xbox 360 in 2010

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty incredible how well the Switch has been selling. Nintendo has done a great job with it. I must admit I've considered it myself numerous times, the Switch Lite has an appealing price. Would be a nice alternative to my PS4. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube, but I certainly miss playing some of their exclusives. Really liked the look of games such as Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. The recent release of Super Mario 3D All-Stars got me intrigued as well, I'm a big fan of Super Mario 64.

It's pretty incredible how well the Switch has been selling. Nintendo has done a great job with it. I must admit I've considered it myself numerous times, the Switch Lite has an appealing price. Would be a nice alternative to my PS4. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube, but I certainly miss playing some of their exclusives. Really liked the look of games such as Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild. The recent release of Super Mario 3D All-Stars got me intrigued as well, I'm a big fan of Super Mario 64.

I think the undersold story of all this is the Switch coming into its own as the ultimate girlfriend console during lockdown. It seems like all of my female friends have recently gotten addicted to Animal Crossing, and then they start graduating to Zelda and Pokemon. I think Nintendo, with an assist from Covid-19, may have finally figured out how to make core gamers out of adult women.

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
I thought this was Sony Land? How is this possible?
Not only that, those next-gen consoles didn't stop its momentum at all like what had been prophesied earlier by arm chair sales analysts in this forum.

In the US - Nintendo Switch is going to sell around 10 million in 2020

In Japan - around 6 million in 2020

In France - around 1.5-2 million in 2020

Record breaking year for Nintendo Switch

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That's the power of Animal Crossing, baby.

Anecdotally, I know four women who bought a Switch this year just for AC, and they all ended up getting MK too.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
This is so incredible. The 360 was a beast in UK. The Switch is going after the almighty PS2.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I think the undersold story of all this is the Switch coming into its own as the ultimate girlfriend console during lockdown. It seems like all of my female friends have recently gotten addicted to Animal Crossing, and then they start graduating to Zelda and Pokemon. I think Nintendo, with an assist from Covid-19, may have finally figured out how to make core gamers out of adult women.
That’s a goldmine waiting to be tapped. If they do this right then the switch will outsell the DS

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member

Absolutely. It seems to be a lot more casual friendly, which makes sense with being able to play the Switch anywhere. It's really a surprise I haven't got one yet, as I have slowly been gaming less myself and would love to game on the go more. I forgot to mention Animal Crossing, it's definitely one of those chill games I think anybody can enjoy. Seems to be easy to lose time in it.

1585339919316.jpg

What can I say?

That’s a goldmine waiting to be tapped. If they do this right then the switch will outsell the DS

I will say that it seems to me that Nintendo is leaving an incalculable amount of engagement on the table with their retarded lack of basic social features. Animal Crossing is a social game but you can't even message your friends, much less form parties and teamspeak with them, on the Switch. And maybe I'm off base, but it really seems to me that women are generally much more likely to get into a game if they can talk to their friends about it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Still remember this thread where all the haters declaring that it is DOA and will fail

lol

This is crazy since I've only ever seen one other switch out in the wild. Granted since march I'm not commuting but you would think that they would be seen more often.

I guess people just play them at home.

Chukhopops

I know, but I'm wondering what specifically led to it peaking 5 years after release. I'm guessing it was the release of the S.
The 360 entry model was 199 GBP and sold gangbusters. Also, ironically, Kinect released on November 4th 2010 and was a smashing success. From Wikipedia:

24 million units of Kinect had been shipped by February 2013. Having sold 8 million units in its first 60 days on the market, Kinect claimed the Guinness World Record of being the "fastest selling consumer electronics device".

imsosleepy

it was a really good experience playing breath of the wild outdoors, at other peoples houses, in the train, or in bed. We have come to a point where you can play really amazing games on a handheld that are Triple A. You wil probably enjoy it alot!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
As someone who loves Switch and Nintendo, but thinks Animal Crossing is sort of crap, I don't know how to feel about this.

You don't need to feel anything, really, it's just a massive system seller. It'll be in the UK charts long into next year.

TriSuit666

Banned
All about the power of Ring Fit, and some crappy little x386 port of a fishing game.

Oh, yeah, ANIMALS CROSSINGS!

(seriously though, in the UK market it's probably more about Ring Fit, than AC).

It's a combination of few things

First Switch library reached critical mass of good and interesting games and console is in it's prime time
Second we have global pandemic so in home entertainment - especially one that doesn't block tv is priceless
Third AC opened it to new audiences

Alan Wake

Its success means that to me it will keep being too expensive for what it offers. I guess I'll buy it when it's been replaced with Nintendo's next system, just like I did with the Wii U.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The 360 entry model was 199 GBP and sold gangbusters. Also, ironically, Kinect released on November 4th 2010 and was a smashing success. From Wikipedia:

24 million units of Kinect had been shipped by February 2013. Having sold 8 million units in its first 60 days on the market, Kinect claimed the Guinness World Record of being the "fastest selling consumer electronics device".
i got my 360 when Woolworths on the U.K. was closing down. I got it cheaper. I want to say 99 or 129?!? . I think it was the base unit with no hard drive. So brought one later on. It RROD ok me a few times though so win some lose some. Even though it came back to life after. Anyway.

Last edited:

Ogbert

I've said this a few times now, the Switch is going to outsell the PS2.

People keep on expecting it to drop off like the Wii. It won't.

Top Bottom