• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling home console to reach 100 million mark

Mozza

Exactly, that's why we should separate "personal preference" from "functionality", without a premise, the debate goes on forever. The way I see it, there is nothing wrong to view the product in a branding perspective. Just agree to have different perspective and problem solved.
I am not going off personal preferences and opinions as they can be interpreted many ways, I am going off Nintendo's own marketing of the device which is a hybrid, which by definition is both a home and handheld console, hence the included dock, and method to make the two joycon's into a more traditional controller, and the fact they offer the pro controller option to enhance the home console mode.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Definitely. The Steam Deck is classified as a handheld console, and it's behaving the exact same way the Switch is (except that they aren't restricting the power in handheld mode like the Switch does).
Vectrex comes to mind.

This is a home console too, it plugs on the TV just like the switch, even has the controller ports.
b4RWLvH.png

SEGA did it first, in the 90's.

SeraphJan

Definitely. The Steam Deck is classified as a handheld console, and it's behaving the exact same way the Switch is (except that they aren't restricting the power in handheld mode like the Switch does).
Valve is smart to advertise this way, because people will stop attack its graphic fidelity since almost no sane people would compare a Home Console to a handheld. Nintendo's branding of Hybrid is actually a two sided sword, it puts the device in a unfavorable position. If Nintendo would to advertise Switch as a handheld alone it would be equally if not more successful, and it solves the Switch Lite paradox.

Mozza

And charging a lot more, also the device came out way after the Switch, if the Switch was releasing now it would probably have more power.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
And charging a lot more, also the device came out way after the Switch, if the Switch was releasing now it would probably have more power.

I don't think the power was the issue at hand, nor was the price. But the Switch just had a re-release with the OLED variant, and they didn't try to up the specs at all even though. Worst mid-gen refresh ever, lol.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I think this kind of ambiguity it one of the greatest strengths of the Switch, some would have bought it because it gives the options of home and handheld play, but in reality may only end up using it one way or the other, obviously Nintendo wanted to merge their home and handheld gaming devices, and it suits them to have a console that does fit into either market, that can appeal to both the casual and core markets, no wonder it has such a wide appeal.

This is the most reasonable post I've read in a while. I completely agree with 100% of what you said.

Lognor

Banned
No. Just like the Kinect wasn't a part of the Xbox One console, the dock isn't a part of the Switch console. It's an included accessory, but it doesn't change the console itself which is a handheld tablet. Even when it's docked it is still a tablet.
Who cares if it's an accessory? The controller included in the PS5 is an accessory. The cables included in the box are accessories. It DOES change the console. It allows you to play it on a tv. Gasp!

And the PS5 and Xbox Series are glorified PCs. So they aren't consoles either, right? They're PCs. But if they are consoles then PCs are consoles.

Your argument is literally the worst. The worst.

SeraphJan

I don't think the power was the issue at hand, nor was the price. But the Switch just had a re-release with the OLED variant, and they didn't try to up the specs at all even though. Worst mid-gen refresh ever, lol.
As a Switch user, I do not like Nintendo's practice as a company, but I still have to pay premium for everything they release just so I could play my favorite games. They really need a competitor

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Who cares if it's an accessory? The controller included in the PS5 is an accessory. The cables included in the box are accessories. It DOES change the console. It allows you to play it on a tv. Gasp!

And the PS5 and Xbox Series are glorified PCs. So they aren't consoles either, right? They're PCs. But if they are consoles then PCs are consoles.

Your argument is literally the worst. The worst.

No, your fanboyism is the worst. Does Nintendo pay you, or are you just in it for the sex? I'm genuinely curious.

As a Switch user, I do not like Nintendo's practice as a company, but I still have to pay premium for everything they release just so I could play my favorite games. They really need a competitor

The problem is that their closest competitor was Sony, and they have virtually given up on the handheld market. If Nintendo had a direct competitor in the handheld market then we would (hopefully) see more powerful hardware being deployed. Maybe not. But that's my thought.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
55% play it mostly docked and the biggest percentage (19%) play it 90% docked...doesn't exactly scream "it's a handheld " does it?

Well if you want to play let's spin the numbers, I can play too. Based off that poll, 92% of the users use the switch as a portable.

SeraphJan

Well if you want to play let's spin the numbers, I can play too. Based off that poll, 92% of the users use the switch as a portable.
I'm done debating with this fellow, if you look at the previous pages when I debate him, he changes premise every sentence, the logic fallacy is insane. I just had to gave up.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

No, your fanboyism is the worst. Does Nintendo pay you, or are you just in it for the sex? I'm genuinely curious.

The problem is that their closest competitor was Sony, and they have virtually given up on the handheld market. If Nintendo had a direct competitor in the handheld market then we would (hopefully) see more powerful hardware being deployed. Maybe not. But that's my thought.
And I thought Neogaf is free of fanboism, I guess I was wrong, the only reason I came here is because I had enough with twitter's infestation of fanboism with fanboy attacking Switch subpar graphic in a daily bases. But guess what, here comes Nintendo reverse fanboism.

And this other post over here is not any better, with Microsoft and Sony fanboy Insulting each other.

When will people understand, competition is a win for the consumer. Overhyping sales number of one device other another is silly

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
The Orwellianess of the fact deniers laid bare.

You would need to add a qualifier like "at least some of the time" at the end of your sentence to not be talking utter bullshit.

But when you are an enemy of facts whatever bullshit floats your boat eh?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The Orwellianess of the fact deniers laid bare.

You would need to add a qualifier like "at least some of the time" at the end of your sentence to not be talking utter bullshit.

But when you are an enemy of facts whatever bullshit floats your boat eh?

You missed the whole point, that almost every person who owns a switch uses it at one point or another as a portable. I don't need to deny facts, I can spin them like you do. Just accept it, some people use the switch as a portable. This is a fact.

Faithless83

Banned
And I thought Neogaf is free of fanboism, I guess I was wrong, the only reason I came here is because I had enough with twitter's infestation of fanboism with fanboy attacking Switch subpar graphic in a daily bases. But guess what, here comes Nintendo reverse fanboism.

And this other post over here is not any better, with Microsoft and Sony fanboy Insulting each other.

When will people understand, competition is a win for the consumer. Overhyping sales number of one device other another is silly
*looking at the thread tittle*
giphy.gif

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
This has been my argument since the beginning. It's a tablet with tablet components. That's the console. Tablets are handheld devices.

You can use the Switch in a home setting on a TV by docking it. The same way you could do that with a PSP.

The controllers are presented separate from the console, just like they are with the PS5 and the XSX. They can be attached if you want. They can be detached if you want. That is neither here nor there.

You can 100% use the Switch without the dock. Why would you say that it's required for power? You can power it with a USB-C cable plugged directly into the wall or USB port. You don't need the dock in order to charge the console.

I'm not shifting goal posts. You're the one making patently false claims.

You're the one throwing a bitch-fit because I'm calling it a handheld because it's a tablet. Why does it matter that this is a handheld? I have asked this question a half-dozen times and nobody has answered. Calling it a handheld console doesn't mean it can't be compared to a non-handheld console. A console is a console. Calling it a handheld doesn't negate its success. Why are you behaving like I'm throwing shade at Nintendo?

You know, given your later post asking to "agree to disagree" I was going to respect that and leave this alone, and I did, but again you demonstrate how duplicitous you're behaving and how irrationally invested in forcing your personal view on this matter by proceding to continue to push your narrative as fact. So, let's pick it back up.

Highlighted is you trying to move the goalposts again by claiming the use of an accessory in place of a core component of the device validates your view. Can you not see how absolutely ridiculous that is? I can power a PS4 with a portable battery and have it display on a 8" screen so by your logic it's not a home console, right? See, this is your problem and the problem I've repeatedly highlighted with trying to invent catches and criteria to pidgeonhole the device to suit your preferred narrative - in doing so you end up ignoring how that applies in the other direction.

And there's no bitch-fit throwing here, I just dislike your double standards and inconsistency. That which you sadly demonstrated perfectly in asking for people to agree to disagree only for you to immediately do the opposite. You're arguing and acting in bad faith. This is why you dodged the point about this only coming up in sales threads and how you're displaying the exact same behavious and making the same silly arguments that were made during the Wii's heyday.

And to put your double standard into perspective - if you're going to insist on calling the Switch a "tablet" based upon it's hardware then by all accounts you are arguing that modern games consoles are just PCs. Hard drives, memory, CPU and graphics hardware, multimedia functionality, internet access, streaming and even web browsing. The whole design of modern consoles is far more akin to a PC than the games consoles that coined the term "games console" all those years ago and the hardware differences far greater and more impactful than the simple addition of a screen. So, if you want to say that you believe there are no games consoles and it's all PCs since at least the Wii era then that'll at least be some consistency... but, if you're going to make excuses and fall back on the base definition of "a device whose primary purpose is to play games", well then you're just exposing your duplicity and/or your inability to grasp the subject.

Faithless83

Banned
Oh crap I just realized my typo, I'm embarrassed

giphy.gif

Overhyping sales number of one device over another is silly

There I fixed it
The problem isn't the typo. It's that you are complaining and defending the switch on a thread that pretty much overhypes sales numbers (wrongly so as this is counting switch lite sales too).
I'm no grammar nazi and I make a lot of mistakes. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SeraphJan

The problem isn't the typo. It's that you are complaining and defending the switch on a thread that pretty much overhypes sales numbers (wrongly so as this is counting switch lite sales too).
I'm no grammar nazi and I make a lot of mistakes.:messenger_tears_of_joy:
Its hard, trust me. From day one I've been defending Switch from twitter trolls that is attacking Switch's subpar graphic, my only card is "Switch is a handheld, its silly to compare graphic". But somehow people in this post just made me question my own reality, completely killed my argument, no wonder they told me fanboy is actually bad for its own fanbase. Sometime I don't even know where do I stand, its like I'm a complete outcast.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

All I wish for is for Nintendo to improve so I could have a better consumer experience, not this one sided monopoly where they could charge whatever they want, they need a competitor. There is nothing for me to be happy about when I see this sales number because that means its one step closer to monopoly.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
You know, given your later post asking to "agree to disagree" I was going to respect that and leave this alone, and I did, but again you demonstrate how duplicitous you're behaving and how irrationally invested in forcing your personal view on this matter by proceding to continue to push your narrative as fact. So, let's pick it back up.

Highlighted is you trying to move the goalposts again by claiming the use of an accessory in place of a core component of the device validates your view. Can you not see how absolutely ridiculous that is? I can power a PS4 with a portable battery and have it display on a 8" screen so by your logic it's not a home console, right? See, this is your problem and the problem I've repeatedly highlighted with trying to invent catches and criteria to pidgeonhole the device to suit your preferred narrative - in doing so you end up ignoring how that applies in the other direction.

And there's no bitch-fit throwing here, I just dislike your double standards and inconsistency. That which you sadly demonstrated perfectly in asking for people to agree to disagree only for you to immediately do the opposite. You're arguing and acting in bad faith. This is why you dodged the point about this only coming up in sales threads and how you're displaying the exact same behavious and making the same silly arguments that were made during the Wii's heyday.

And to put your double standard into perspective - if you're going to insist on calling the Switch a "tablet" based upon it's hardware then by all accounts you are arguing that modern games consoles are just PCs. Hard drives, memory, CPU and graphics hardware, multimedia functionality, internet access, streaming and even web browsing. The whole design of modern consoles is far more akin to a PC than the games consoles that coined the term "games console" all those years ago and the hardware differences far greater and more impactful than the simple addition of a screen. So, if you want to say that you believe there are no games consoles and it's all PCs since at least the Wii era then that'll at least be some consistency... but, if you're going to make excuses and fall back on the base definition of "a device whose primary purpose is to play games", well then you're just exposing your duplicity and/or your inability to grasp the subject.

We can still agree to disagree. I was responding to people who responded after I said that and obviously didn't want to agree to disagree. You and I don't have to argue anymore. That isn't duplicitous. You're triggered over nothing.

MaulerX

Yup.

Lumping together the sales of a strictly portable device with the one that can actually connect to your TV at home (ahem: Home console) will definitely get you there.

SeraphJan

Yup.

Lumping together the sales of a strictly portable device with the one that can actually connect to your TV at home (ahem: Home console) will definitely get you there.
The thing that fanboy does not understand is that, claiming logical fallacy claims is a double edged sword, it looks good on paper for them to validate their purchase, but it is also open to attack, other people could use the same logical fallacy against them, in the end the real people that suffer was the actual fanbase that had to deal with all the harassment. And I'm one of those victim.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned

Damn so you resort to name calling because you realize your arguments are weak as shit. Good job.

And Sony tried to challenge Nintendo in the handheld market and got their ass handed to them. And now it's going that way on the home console front as well. Sony is non existent in Japan and the Switch will soar past the ps4 with ease. That must hurt your Sony fanboy ego

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Damn so you resort to name calling because you realize your arguments are weak as shit. Good job.

And Sony tried to challenge Nintendo in the handheld market and got their ass handed to them. And now it's going that way on the home console front as well. Sony is non existent in Japan and the Switch will soar past the ps4 with ease. That must hurt your Sony fanboy ego

Where am I rooting for Sony? Please link the post where I said that I hope Sony beats Nintendo (or anyone else for that matter). I game on the PC. I'm not rooting for Sony, or Microsoft, or Nintendo. I'm rooting for the Steam Deck because that's the platform I enjoy, but I'm not rooting for it at the expense of other products failing. Nothing about what I have said shows that I'm a fanboy. I have REPEATEDLY said that Nintendo did a great job with the Switch, and that they deserve respect.

You, on the other hand, take every single thing as an affront to Nintendo. You're defending the company like you're the CEO. I don't care that Nintendo beat Sony in the handheld market. I wish there was still competition in the handheld market from someone, but it doesn't have to be Sony. Competition breeds innovation. Any consumer should want competition because the consumer benefits when companies have to innovate and push the boundaries.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Which one look portable to you?
The Vectrex:
ZHJn6i6.jpg

Nintendo Switch:
yPHRrHf.png

Hint: you don't hold the screen on the vectrex to play it.
The Vectrex controller alone is almost the size of the Switch Lite:
9AcOvEg.png

Looks like your "home console with screen" google search didn't pay off, did it?
You just said to name a home console with a screen attached. Then you moved the goalpost to add "you don't hold the screen in your hand to play it."

What if I told you I don't hold my Switch in my hand to play it, either?

I didn't have to Google the Vectrex. I played it years before most of the people here were even born.

I'm not sure that almost 800 post on what to call a plastic box is what I would call "healthy" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Seriously, some of you guys need to go outside.

it is healthy discussion, .....if it was a thread with 800 posts between Sony fanboys vs MS fanboys, half dozen would be banned already

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
We can still agree to disagree. I was responding to people who responded after I said that and obviously didn't want to agree to disagree. You and I don't have to argue anymore. That isn't duplicitous. You're triggered over nothing.

It really is duplicitous. You're asking people to agree to stop posting counter arguments while yourself continue to post counter arguments. And trying to claim anyone arguing against you is just "triggered", a "fanboy" or asking if they're being paid somehow just because they refute your claims? C'mon, you're being a terrible hypocrite now.

Celine

Thread should have winded down with this post:

I've got a way to solve this:

"Switch is the 2nd fastest selling video game platform". Simple
Switch is a "console" (or to be verbose, a "dedicated video game system"), that's it.

People need to realize that categorization is helpful to streamline conversation, it's not a dogmatic principle to which everything need to be fitted especially if applied to things that blatanly break past conventions like the Nintendo Switch.
Imagine how "fun" would be a debate on wether Oculus Quest, which is at the moment primarily used for gaming, should be categorized as a TV console or handheld console.
It's frankly stupid and a monumental waste of time.

Rykan

No it doesn't. The Steamdeck doesn't include a detachable controller nor does it come with a dock. You can purchase the dock seperately. Valve isn't "More honest" nor is there confusion regarding the Switch. The Switch is a hybrid console, The Steamdeck is a handheld that you can hook up to a TV if you want to but thats not its primary function.

The dock with the Switch is an included accessory... I had to buy a third-party dock because I couldn't use 1080p on my Switch because it caused flickering on my Samsung TV. The dock doesn't do anything special. If the console is docked (with any dock) it will let you use the full capability of the console's hardware. The "console's hardware" being the actual tablet as that is where everything is contained.
The dock is delivered with the switch and is necessary to use one of its primary intended functions. The entire system is designed with the dock, as well as detachable controllers, in mind. Several games require the dock to function and most of them are published by Nintendo themselves.

Last edited:

Celine

No it doesn't. The Steamdeck doesn't include a detachable controller nor does it come with a dock. You can purchase the dock seperately. Valve isn't "More honest" nor is there confusion regarding the Switch. The Switch is a hybrid console, The Steamdeck is a handheld that you can hook up to a TV if you want to but thats not its primary function.
Not just that, in the case of Steam Deck the distribution of the software isn't tied to the platform holder like happens with consoles.
It's a handheld computer.

Rykan

Valve is smart to advertise this way, because people will stop attack its graphic fidelity since almost no sane people would compare a Home Console to a handheld. Nintendo's branding of Hybrid is actually a two sided sword, it puts the device in a unfavorable position. If Nintendo would to advertise Switch as a handheld alone it would be equally if not more successful, and it solves the Switch Lite paradox.
It puts the device "In an unfavorable position". You just can't make this shit up. It's literally one of the most successful consoles ever. It's on its way to be the best or 2nd best selling console ever, but Starforce 2005 knows the system would sell better if it stopped advertising one of its most used features. Despite the fact that the regular switch sells far better than the switch lite and it also sells better than Nintendo's previous handheld only device.

There's no such thing as a "Switch lite paradox". The device is not in an "unfavorable position". Everyone who is not a complete moron knows that it's a hybrid console and knows what to expect from it as it has to work both docked and undocked.

Last edited:

Celine

If Nintendo would to advertise Switch as a handheld alone it would be equally if not more successful, and it solves the Switch Lite paradox.
It's not a question of marketing but of product essence, of which marketing is just a reflection.
The difference, in term of sales performance, between NSW and 3DS is huge.

Sales comparison between Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Switch after 20 quarters on the market, divided by macro regions:

3DS
HW Japan: 20.97M
HW The Americas: 19.50M
HW Europe + Others: 17.47M

SW Japan: 102.73M
SW The Americas: 87.51M
SW Europe + Others: 74.29M

NSW
HW Japan: 24.36M
HW The Americas: 40.12M
HW Europe + Others: 39.07M

SW Japan: 143.20M
SW The Americas: 345.64M
SW Europe + Others: 277.57M

In term of hardware sales NSW is besting 3DS in Japan which was the only territory where the latter overperformed whereas in Americas and Europe+Others NSW is crushing the 3DS sales (over 100% up).
However the big outperforming is coming from the software side.
In Japan it's close to 50% up whereas in Americas and Europe+Others is close to 300% up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom