• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling home console to reach 100 million mark

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Nah man, that's you. You seem to have some weird hate boner for Nintendo. You won't consider it a hybrid (which it is) and you argued endlessly that the PS1 (or was it PS2?) was more innovative than the Nintendo 64.

The Switch is a hybrid. Deal with it. PSP does not compare. I don't know anything about a dock you mentioned on the PSP. It came with the device? Never heard of it. Sounds like it was an accessory. Accessories don't count bro. It would be like that screen you could hook up to your PS1 to make that portable. PS1 was not portable dude.

The dock with the Switch is an included accessory... I had to buy a third-party dock because I couldn't use 1080p on my Switch because it caused flickering on my Samsung TV. The dock doesn't do anything special. If the console is docked (with any dock) it will let you use the full capability of the console's hardware. The "console's hardware" being the actual tablet as that is where everything is contained.

That site shows the breakdown of the Nintendo Switch hardware. Look at the circled parts in this picture:

FPzgdl6.png

Nintendo themselves are showing that the console is the tablet, and the dock is a separate piece of hardware.

Off topic, I never claimed that the PS1 was more innovative than the N64. I just corrected misinformation. The fact that you're bringing this up months later shows how triggered you were by that. You're a known Nintendo fanboy, so your opinion means nothing.

To be specific a games console is a piece of dedicated hardware whose primary purpose is to play videogames.

You're splitting hairs and continually using double standards to try and give a reason why the switch should be considered differently. You argued the internal components but when it was pointed out that other consoles used mobile specific components you shifted to something else evading the point that by your own logic the other consoles would be considered handheld too if based on the type of internal components.

No I didn't. The Switch has more than just a mobile processor. The Switch also has a built-in screen, and an internal battery. You're the one trying to say that since the PS4/Xbox One used a Jaguar processor that negates my claim that the Switch is portable. There are multiple aspects to be considered, and you're hand-waving away everything I said because other consoles also had one piece of mobile hardware.

My problem with calling the Switch a portable is that it assumes a distinct and separate use and market from other consoles. This is the reason why console warriors bring up the definition and argue it so defensively in every damned sales thread shat shows the Switch doing well. Secondly, it assumes a primary function which the device is not presented as. The consoles is designed to be played at home and is capable of being moved to and used in other locations more easily than other consoles - all the marketing presents this and even the name focuses on this.

Nintendo themselves show that the console is the tablet, and the dock is separate from the console. Therefore it is a handheld console even if it can display out to a TV. Just like the PSP.

There's definitely an argument to be made about Switch not being a home console, but I don't think power or architecture are good indicators of this. To me it makes sense to class Switch as a hybrid.

As with the above, it's not just the Tegra processor that makes it a mobile device. It's the built-in screen and the internal battery in combination with the mobile processor. That, and the fact that Nintendo's own website shows that the console is the tablet, and the dock is a separate piece from the console. Ergo, the Switch is a handheld console that can be docked to use an external display.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The dock with the Switch is an included accessory... I had to buy a third-party dock because I couldn't use 1080p on my Switch because it caused flickering on my Samsung TV. The dock doesn't do anything special. If the console is docked (with any dock) it will let you use the full capability of the console's hardware. The "console's hardware" being the actual tablet as that is where everything is contained.

That site shows the breakdown of the Nintendo Switch hardware. Look at the circled parts in this picture:

FPzgdl6.png

Nintendo themselves are showing that the console is the tablet, and the dock is a separate piece of hardware.

Off topic, I never claimed that the PS1 was more innovative than the N64. I just corrected misinformation. The fact that you're bringing this up months later shows how triggered you were by that. You're a known Nintendo fanboy, so your opinion means nothing.

No I didn't. The Switch has more than just a mobile processor. The Switch also has a built-in screen, and an internal battery. You're the one trying to say that since the PS4/Xbox One used a Jaguar processor that negates my claim that the Switch is portable. There are multiple aspects to be considered, and you're hand-waving away everything I said because other consoles also had one piece of mobile hardware.

Nintendo themselves show that the console is the tablet, and the dock is separate from the console. Therefore it is a handheld console even if it can display out to a TV. Just like the PSP.

As with the above, it's not just the Tegra processor that makes it a mobile device. It's the built-in screen and the internal battery in combination with the mobile processor. That, and the fact that Nintendo's own website shows that the console is the tablet, and the dock is a separate piece from the console. Ergo, the Switch is a handheld console that can be docked to use an external display.
jeff bridges opinion GIF

It’s a hybrid it counted as console sales. That’s ok, it’s ok.

We are ok.

support its gonna be fine GIF by Team Coco

Last edited:

Mozza

FPzgdl6.png

Oh no, the pictures and diagrams are out. ;)

Last edited:

Woopah

The same webpage also talks about Switch being "a console that can transform to suit your situation", hence is being a hybrid. They don't call it a handheld console and instead say that handheld is 1 of the 3 modes it offers.

Mozza

So you guys do agree calling it a handheld is fine? Since whatever anyone wish to call them doesn't matter.

Then how about calling it what Nintendo themselves sees the device? A handheld that have capability to connect to external displays such as TV or Monitor that was branded a Hybrid console, since Nintendo had move on from the Home Console market after Wii U, and decided competing as Home Console is not worth the effort?

Since it doesn't matter, why are people so triggered by what someone wish to categorize a piece of plastic as. Someone could literally call iphone a mobile gaming device that outsold switch too I would still respect their opinion even if I don't agree, actually I am very interested to see this kind of thread exist, and see how those same people react.

You either debate with logic or not debate at all, I'm fine with both. You either support define product by category or you don't, I'm also fine with both, what I don't agree with is double standard, but still everyone are entitled to their opinion, if they love double standard it's their problem

And this tribalism is stupid, assume someone was defending one piece of plastic over the other just because there is a opinion difference is not the best assumption in the world. People assume that everyone had a X brand loyalty, and claim they are either pro X or pro Y, but there is also a third type, they equally love all devices, and think each device serves their own purpose, comparing device in the same standard is pretty silly to them. I've made my point in the previous page pretty clear.
Nintendo call it a hybrid device.

Mozza

I personally had the most enjoyment, when I play Sony exclusive on my PC with a third party Nintendo Switch controller that looks like a Xbox controller

Option is always good
The Fact the Switch reveal showed the pro controller, made Nintendo's intentions clear from the start, part of the Switch's appeal is it's in effect a home or handheld device, hence it's name, just so many clues for you there, not too hard to pick up on them.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The same webpage also talks about Switch being "a console that can transform to suit your situation", hence is being a hybrid. They don't call it a handheld console and instead say that handheld is 1 of the 3 modes it offers.

It can be connected to a TV. It's not transforming any more than a PSP transformed with the accessory to connect it to a TV. The console doesn't change by plugging it in. That's just marketing jargon.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

And here you go, when your definition starts failing and the holes start to appear you start tacking on more criteria in an effort to create a definition to suit your argument. It's needless complication introduced in an increasingly desperate and ill-considered attempt to pidgeonhole a device into a category that suits your own needs rather than the realities.

Case in point. Nintendo themselves show the switch being used in a home setting being used as a traditional home console for play on a TV, but you ignore all of that in favor of trying to selectively pick parts of their marketing to suit your argument. You are desperately trying to warp reality to suit this absurd and increasingly irrational NEED that you have to define the console as something other than what it is. The controllers are also presented separately from the core but are nonetheless integral to the unit. Despite your efforts to present it as something separate the dock is just as required as the controllers for power and VDU connectivity. You cannot use that switch you're posting an image of without it's dock any more than you could use it without it's controllers. But you're trying to present otherwise because as I stated - you're continually moving goalposts, splitting hairs and trying to add ever more selective and dubious criteria in order to keep up your effort to draw a line that doesn't hold up.

Do I need to post more links to Wii era NPD threads? would that help you to see that what you're doing is no different to what all the console warriors at the time did to try and rationalize that the Wii "didn't count"? And it's the same damned arguments you're using - hardware components, hardware power, interface, form factor, display compatibility...

The need to define the console as something outside of that which fits the competition doesn't come from a place of rational thought or reason. It flies in the face of how the devices are counted for sales and market, and in how they are marketed and used. No, it comes purely from a place of insecurity on the part of console warriors who are too heavily invested in their toy of choice and it's peformance in that market which is why every time the argument over what is and isn't x, y, or z comes up, it comes up in a sales thread or in a discussion of market performance. Just like you're doing here. In a sales thread.

Woopah

It can be connected to a TV. It's not transforming any more than a PSP transformed with the accessory to connect it to a TV. The console doesn't change by plugging it in. That's just marketing jargon.
The PSP was specifically designed to be a handheld console whereas the Switch was designed to be a hybrid console. The dock, detachable controllers and stand are all there on purpose. Whereas from my understanding the cable needed to connect a PSP to a TV had to be bought separately.

Mozza

Not really the same thing, it's clear to me and most others the Switch was designed as a hybrid device, in fact pretty sure there was a leak which called it the fusion or something like that.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
And here you go, when your definition starts failing and the holes start to appear you start tacking on more criteria in an effort to create a definition to suit your argument. It's needless complication introduced in an increasingly desperate and ill-considered attempt to pidgeonhole a device into a category that suits your own needs rather than the realities.

This has been my argument since the beginning. It's a tablet with tablet components. That's the console. Tablets are handheld devices.

Case in point. Nintendo themselves show the switch being used in a home setting being used as a traditional home console for play on a TV, but you ignore all of that in favor of trying to selectively pick parts of their marketing to suit your argument. You are desperately trying to warp reality to suit this absurd and increasingly irrational NEED that you have to define the console as something other than what it is. The controllers are also presented separately from the core but are nonetheless integral to the unit. Despite your efforts to present it as something separate the dock is just as required as the controllers for power and VDU connectivity. You cannot use that switch you're posting an image of without it's dock any more than you could use it without it's controllers. But you're trying to present otherwise because as I stated - you're continually moving goalposts, splitting hairs and trying to add ever more selective and dubious criteria in order to keep up your effort to draw a line that doesn't hold up.

You can use the Switch in a home setting on a TV by docking it. The same way you could do that with a PSP.

The controllers are presented separate from the console, just like they are with the PS5 and the XSX. They can be attached if you want. They can be detached if you want. That is neither here nor there.

You can 100% use the Switch without the dock. Why would you say that it's required for power? You can power it with a USB-C cable plugged directly into the wall or USB port. You don't need the dock in order to charge the console.

I'm not shifting goal posts. You're the one making patently false claims.

Do I need to post more links to Wii era NPD threads? would that help you to see that what you're doing is no different to what all the console warriors at the time did to try and rationalize that the Wii "didn't count"? And it's the same damned arguments you're using - hardware components, hardware power, interface, form factor, display compatibility...

The need to define the console as something outside of that which fits the competition doesn't come from a place of rational thought or reason. It flies in the face of how the devices are counted for sales and market, and in how they are marketed and used. No, it comes purely from a place of insecurity on the part of console warriors who are too heavily invested in their toy of choice and it's peformance in that market which is why every time the argument over what is and isn't x, y, or z comes up, it comes up in a sales thread or in a discussion of market performance. Just like you're doing here. In a sales thread.

You're the one throwing a bitch-fit because I'm calling it a handheld because it's a tablet. Why does it matter that this is a handheld? I have asked this question a half-dozen times and nobody has answered. Calling it a handheld console doesn't mean it can't be compared to a non-handheld console. A console is a console. Calling it a handheld doesn't negate its success. Why are you behaving like I'm throwing shade at Nintendo?

The PSP was specifically designed to be a handheld console whereas the Switch was designed to be a hybrid console. The dock, detachable controllers and stand are all there on purpose. Whereas from my understanding the cable needed to connect a PSP to a TV had to be bought separately.

At the end of the day the functionality is the same. My argument holds up when compared to similar devices with the same functionality. Your argument equates to, "If the accessory that provided the functionality was included for free instead of sold as a separate add-on then it's different." No it isn't. They do the same thing regardless of whether it was sold after the fact or not.

Not really the same thing, it's clear to me and most others the Switch was designed as a hybrid device, in fact pretty sure there was a leak which called it the fusion or something like that.

They really are. It requires the same type of components for the PSP to connect to a TV as it does for the Switch to connect to a TV. The only difference is the PSP was just a cable instead of a dock, and the Switch is a dock instead of just a cable. The actually functionality is the same. It outputs the signal through the cable to the TV.

Marvel14

Banned
Why do you keep ignoring my posts?

You're the one that GIF applies to. You're in full fanboy mode, and you somehow don't see it. Especially calling Nintendo, "The only dedicated video game hardware company on the planet..." You need to get a grip, man.
Ok I'll bite. But note how one-sided this is. I always respond substantively. But when I ask the questions you lot never answer.

How the Switch and PSP differ in home console mode, I assume when bought straight out of the box:

1. You don't have to carry the Switch to play on TV. You do have to carry the PsP.

2. You don't have a blank screen that serves no purpose when playing on the TV with your Switch controller. You do with the PsP.

3. There are no games for PsP that require a TV to work. There are games that only work properly with a TV on Switch.

4. You don't need to plug the Switch into the TV everytime you want to play on the TV. You just put it in its dock. You have to plug the PSP in everytime.

If you respond "oh but I can buy a peripheral to better simulate home console play with the PSP" then you're missing the point. The Switch requires no additional peripherals to be both handheld and home console. It doesn't need anything extra to be both form factors completely.

Now answer me this:

1. What functional difference is there between Switch and other home consoles? Power only impacts visuals and speed not being able to sit down and play on screen. The tablet screen doesnt count as it is not used for home console mode (unlike PSP)

2.Why are there games on Switch that don't work natively in handheld mode if it is just a handheld?

Here we go again...

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ok I'll bite. But note how one-sided this is. I always respond substantively. But when I ask the questions you lot never answer.

How the Switch and PSP differ in home console mode, I assume when bought straight out of the box:

1. You don't have to carry the Switch to play on TV. You do have to carry the PsP.

2. You don't have a blank screen that serves no purpose when playing on the TV with your Switch controller. You do with the PsP.

3. There are no games for PsP that require a TV to work. There are games that only work properly with a TV on Switch.

4. You don't need to plug the Switch into the TV everytime you want to play on the TV. You just put it in its dock. You have to plug the PSP in everytime.

If you respond "oh but I can buy a peripheral to better simulate home console play with the PSP" then you're missing the point. The Switch requires no additional peripherals to be both handheld and home console. It doesn't need anything extra to be both form factors completely.

Now answer me this:

1. What functional difference is there between Switch and other home consoles? Power only impacts visuals and speed not being able to sit down and play on screen. The tablet screen doesnt count as it is not used for home console mode (unlike PSP)

2.Why are there games on Switch that don't work natively in handheld mode if it is just a handheld?

Here we go again...
Just pointing out that you can use a DS3 to control the PSP on a TV (or you can on the PSP Go at least).

IFireflyl

Gold Member

1. How is that relevant to the functionality? The PSP is the controller versus having a separated controller.

2. Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you're saying here. I apologize for not understanding this point, but I don't know what blank screen you're talking about.

3. What games are there for the Switch that require a TV in order to work? From what I can see there are no games that require a TV in order for them to work. Maybe there's something I am missing through.

Now answer me this:

Here we go again...

1. It has an internal battery and a built-in screen which means it doesn't require external hardware in order to play games.

2. This is up to the developer. You'd have to ask them why the game was designed to ignore the functionality of the tablet console.

I'm not sure where the, "Here we go again," is coming from. I am responding to people as best I can, and as honestly as I can. I'm not trying to negate Nintendo's success. This isn't a console war. Not once have I tried to compare it unfavorably to the PS4/PS5 or Xbox One/XSS/XSX.

Can you also respond to this when you reply:

Why does it matter that this is a handheld? I have asked this question a half-dozen times and nobody has answered. Calling it a handheld console doesn't mean it can't be compared to a non-handheld console. A console is a console. Calling it a handheld doesn't negate its success. Why are you behaving like I'm throwing shade at Nintendo?

Wow... you all hear that people the Nintendo switch was never a hybrid, it was never designed that way. Nintendo has been lying to US all along. We should create a petition and Sue them. Nintendo

How Dare You Greta GIF

The actual console is a tablet. The Switch isn't a home console anymore than a docked laptop is a desktop.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
A tablet isn't a hybrid. It's a tablet. You can hook an android tablet up to a dock as well. It's not a home console then. It's a tablet hooked up to a dock.

A console is a specific type of PC. The Switch is a console, it's just a specific type of console (handheld).

To both of you: what is the problem with calling this a handheld? That's what the actual console is. It is a tablet which is a handheld device. Calling it a handheld console instead of a home console doesn't negate its success. I don't know why you're so adamant that the Switch isn't a handheld console.
Sassy Mario Odyssey GIF

You know what 100 million sold. So whatever

Mozza

This has been my argument since the beginning. It's a tablet with tablet components. That's the console. Tablets are handheld devices.

You can use the Switch in a home setting on a TV by docking it. The same way you could do that with a PSP.

The controllers are presented separate from the console, just like they are with the PS5 and the XSX. They can be attached if you want. They can be detached if you want. That is neither here nor there.

You can 100% use the Switch without the dock. Why would you say that it's required for power? You can power it with a USB-C cable plugged directly into the wall or USB port. You don't need the dock in order to charge the console.

I'm not shifting goal posts. You're the one making patently false claims.

You're the one throwing a bitch-fit because I'm calling it a handheld because it's a tablet. Why does it matter that this is a handheld? I have asked this question a half-dozen times and nobody has answered. Calling it a handheld console doesn't mean it can't be compared to a non-handheld console. A console is a console. Calling it a handheld doesn't negate its success. Why are you behaving like I'm throwing shade at Nintendo?

At the end of the day the functionality is the same. My argument holds up when compared to similar devices with the same functionality. Your argument equates to, "If the accessory that provided the functionality was included for free instead of sold as a separate add-on then it's different." No it isn't. They do the same thing regardless of whether it was sold after the fact or not.

They really are. It requires the same type of components for the PSP to connect to a TV as it does for the Switch to connect to a TV. The only difference is the PSP was just a cable instead of a dock, and the Switch is a dock instead of just a cable. The actually functionality is the same. It outputs the signal through the cable to the TV.
Just look at both consoles marketing, the PSP was a dedicated handheld just like the DS was at the time, yes you could connect it to a T.V, but this was not it's primary function, the Switch on the other hand was a console with multiple ways to play, as a handheld, table top mode, and of course docked as a home console, in fact the very first image on the reveal showed docked play, then the console was removed from the dock to form the handheld, surely the name Switch gives this away.

Mozza

I used to think I did too, back when I was a teenager. But I grew out of it, and realized I was just stressing out.

By all means have at it if that's what you like.
Never get stressed discussing things on internet forums, but I can see how it would cause stress to some.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Just look at both consoles marketing, the PSP was a dedicated handheld just like the DS was at the time, yes you could connect it to a T.V, but this was not it's primary function, the Switch on the other hand was a console with multiple ways to play, as a handheld, table top mode, and of course docked as a home console, in fact the very first image on the reveal showed docked play, then the console was removed from the dock to form the handheld, surely the name Switch gives this away.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Regardless of how they say it can be used, the actual console itself is a handheld tablet. That's the only way I can see it. But even if we aren't going to agree on whether it is home/handheld, I think we can agree that the Switch did an amazing job.

Marvel14 Marvel14 , jufonuk jufonuk , daclynk daclynk , gradient gradient , Woopah Woopah , and Lognor Lognor : I'm assuming this will make you all happy. Or at least less ruffled with me. I truly am not raining on Nintendo's parade.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Regardless of how they say it can be used, the actual console itself is a handheld tablet. That's the only way I can see it. But even if we aren't going to agree on whether it is home/handheld, I think we can agree that the Switch did an amazing job.

Marvel14 Marvel14 , jufonuk jufonuk , daclynk daclynk , gradient gradient , Woopah Woopah , and Lognor Lognor : I'm assuming this will make you all happy. Or at least less ruffled with me. I truly am not raining on Nintendo's parade.
Hugging Reaction GIF

daclynk

1. How is that relevant to the functionality? The PSP is the controller versus having a separated controller.

2. Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you're saying here. I apologize for not understanding this point, but I don't know what blank screen you're talking about.

3. What games are there for the Switch that require a TV in order to work? From what I can see there are no games that require a TV in order for them to work. Maybe there's something I am missing through.

1. It has an internal battery and a built-in screen which means it doesn't require external hardware in order to play games.

2. This is up to the developer. You'd have to ask them why the game was designed to ignore the functionality of the tablet console.

I'm not sure where the, "Here we go again," is coming from. I am responding to people as best I can, and as honestly as I can. I'm not trying to negate Nintendo's success. This isn't a console war. Not once have I tried to compare it unfavorably to the PS4/PS5 or Xbox One/XSS/XSX.

The actual console is a tablet. The Switch isn't a home console anymore than a docked laptop is a desktop.
So its a gaming console that 3 in 1. it does somethings better than the other. Handheld + Home + VR. am i right.
also @Starforce2005 saying Nintendo had move on from the Home Console market after Wii U, and decided competing as Home Console is not worth the effort? do you have a source Nintendo got out like Atari or Sega. they just created a Gaming device that fit both consumers.

Look at it this way. every gen since gen 3 nintendo has been creating console that sell over 80mil each gen. so there is nothing wrong when they COMBINES both aspect and came up with the Switch.
The thing is still a Gaming Console. it does 1 things(handheld) most cases better than the other(dock/Home).

Mozza

Not suggesting you think the Switch has not done a good job, but that does not mean you are right about trying to suggest it's one thing or another, the Switch transcends both home and handheld devices, and it's hybrid nature makes it at home in either mode, also the ease of this transition is also another nod to it being both.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
1. What you carry in your hands is relevant for functionality. That I even need to make this statement indicates that you're too biased to see the bleedingly obvious

2. The PSP's screen goes blank when you play on the TV and you're carrying that screen with you while you play. For no purpose whatsoever.

3. Ring Fit Adventure only works on Switch-lite if you spend another 60 quid on two new joycons and 10-20 quid on a stand. There are other games as well.

Your answer 1 has nothing to do with it being used as a home console. Is a cellphone not a cellphone because it can take pictures?

Your answer 2 is disingenuous. That there are home console only games for Switch is game set and match really. You can't claim a duck is not a duck if it has all of the attributes of a duck, but also happens to be good at sitting in trees.

Last edited:

Woopah

I was never ruffled with you :) we just have different opinions.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Which you have to buy separately..or does it come as part of the PSP?
Does the Pro Controller come with the Switch? No. But you can use the Switch controllers as a docked controller, same as the PSP unit can be used. The Switch is definitely a home console BTW, just pointing something out.

SeraphJan

The Fact the Switch reveal showed the pro controller, made Nintendo's intentions clear from the start, part of the Switch's appeal is it's in effect a home or handheld device, hence it's name, just so many clues for you there, not too hard to pick up on them.

I've stated my stance pretty clear in the past, I hate to bring it up again since I thought this post had dragged way too long than it deserves. You could see this two way, either from the perspective of branding or functionality, from a functionality point of view, its a handheld with HDMI output with a optional external peripheral such as Pro controller, pretty simple concept to understand, basically most mobile device could do that. However Nintendo branded it as a new concept, its a freedom of choice whether how you view it, if you think branding is more important than functionality than just call it a hybrid console. But for me all these device are just electronic plastic boxes, I don't really care about the branding, from a pure functionality perspective, I think "A handheld with HDMI output" is a simpler concept. The reason why I see it as a handheld its pretty simple too, it had all the attribute of a handheld device, from its lower power draw, self contained design with a screen, performance that is close to a mobile device, small form factor compare to Home console etc. Just like how people mention where do you put Switch Lite at, there is a paradox if you including Switch Lite into the sales of a Home or even Hybrid console because it is not a dock-able. But for me the reason I agree Switch Lite should be include in the sale is simple, because they are all handhelds, with or without HDMI output.

I know people love their favorite console, but its a bit of overreacting don't you think? But even to those that had brand loyalty to Nintendo, putting Switch in a handheld position is actually favorable for them, at least no more fanboy could attack Switch for having subpar graphic (This is actually pretty common on twitter where its plagued by fanboism) compare to Home Console such as Playstation or Xbox, no sane people would compare graphic between NDS and PS3.

And lastly one thing I completely disagree is this overhyping of one plastic defeating another plastic in sales, we need competition, if one company became too dominate, they could force whatever shitty policy they like. Have you ever wonder why Switch game are generally more expensive and stay the same price even years after release while every other platform cuts the game at least in half of the price within two years? From a Switch user perspective I would love Steam Deck gaining more attention, at least the third party software on Switch could became cheaper. Because of competition Microsoft also had to up their game in the 9th gen, which all gamer wins.

Marvel14

Banned
Does the Pro Controller come with the Switch? No. But you can use the Switch controllers as a docked controller, same as the PSP unit can be used. The Switch is definitely a home console BTW, just pointing something out.
Yes...thats the point...the Switch comes with the joycon adaptor which is like a pro controller...PSP does not and you have to hold a tablet screen in your hands to play.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned

FPzgdl6.png

The dock comes included with the Switch. It's part of the overall package so not anything like your psp example. The Switch is in fact a hybrid. It can be played on your tv via the dock or played handheld. Hybrid. Not sure why that word triggers some people so much.

SeraphJan

Btw I just did a poll on another forum, although not many people participated since its a rather new poll, but at least 40 people out of 54 think switch is more of a handheld than a home console. I'm not trying to say its definitive or anything, but at least seeing more people's opinion is involved is a fun test. Or just search how people generally feel about Switch in Google, you would find more see it as handheld than Home console

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The dock comes included with the Switch. It's part of the overall package so not anything like your psp example. The Switch is in fact a hybrid. It can be played on your tv via the dock or played handheld. Hybrid. Not sure why that word triggers some people so much.

Not sure why handheld triggers people like you so much either. The actual console is a tablet. That's the end of the discussion. The dock isn't a part of the console itself, even on Nintendo's website. It's an (included) accessory.

Lognor

Banned
Not sure why handheld triggers people like you so much either. The actual console is a tablet. That's the end of the discussion. The dock isn't a part of the console itself, even on Nintendo's website. It's an (included) accessory.
But the fact that it is included and part of the overall package matters. Back to your psp example, you bought some off brand accessory to connect it to your tv. It's not the same thing. Every Switch (other than the lite) have the included dock and all the marketing focuses on the ability to switch from a handheld to a home console. Therefore it's a hybrid. The first of its kind! There Nintendo is being innovative again!

IFireflyl

Gold Member
But the fact that it is included and part of the overall package matters. Back to your psp example, you bought some off brand accessory to connect it to your tv. It's not the same thing. Every Switch (other than the lite) have the included dock and all the marketing focuses on the ability to switch from a handheld to a home console. Therefore it's a hybrid. The first of its kind! There Nintendo is being innovative again!

No. Just like the Kinect wasn't a part of the Xbox One console, the dock isn't a part of the Switch console. It's an included accessory, but it doesn't change the console itself which is a handheld tablet. Even when it's docked it is still a tablet.

SeraphJan

No. Just like the Kinect wasn't a part of the Xbox One console, the dock isn't a part of the Switch console. It's an included accessory, but it doesn't change the console itself which is a handheld tablet. Even when it's docked it is still a tablet.
If you see dock as a pure functionality perspective, its just a HDMI and USB all in one HUB with external power. Steam Deck also support Dock even you have to buy separately, at least I think Valve is much more honest with their advertisement, making less confusion.

Last edited:

Mozza

55% play it mostly docked and the biggest percentage (19%) play it 90% docked...doesn't exactly scream "it's a handheld " does it?
My comment was a tongue in cheek way of suggesting we need more data, and even a sample size of 20,000 will not give a definitive answer, an indication of course, but still a lot of Switch users out there not included in the survey.

Mozza

Btw I just did a poll on another forum, although not many people participated since its a rather new poll, but at least 40 people out of 54 think switch is more of a handheld than a home console. I'm not trying to say its definitive or anything, but at least seeing more people's opinion is involved is a fun test. Or just search how people generally feel about Switch in Google, you would find more see it as handheld than Home console
It's personal opinions of the people who voted, you could run that on a different forum and get the totally opposite answer, nothing definitive either way.

Faithless83

Banned
Vectrex comes to mind.
Which one look portable to you?
The Vectrex:
ZHJn6i6.jpg

Nintendo Switch:
yPHRrHf.png

Hint: you don't hold the screen on the vectrex to play it.
The Vectrex controller alone is almost the size of the Switch Lite:
9AcOvEg.png

Looks like your "home console with screen" google search didn't pay off, did it?

Last edited:

SeraphJan

It's personal opinions of the people who voted, you could run that on a different forum and get the totally opposite answer, nothing definitive either way.
Exactly, that's why we should separate "personal preference" from "functionality", without a premise, the debate goes on forever. The way I see it, there is nothing wrong to view the product in a branding perspective. Just agree to have different perspective and problem solved.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
If you see dock as a pure functionality perspective, its just a HDMI and USB all in one HUB with external power. Steam Deck also support Dock even you have to buy separately, at least I think Valve is much more honest with their advertisement, making less confusion.

Definitely. The Steam Deck is classified as a handheld console, and it's behaving the exact same way the Switch is (except that they aren't restricting the power in handheld mode like the Switch does).

Mozza

I love the lengths some of you guys are going to trying to define this thing. Poor Nintendo. People downplaying. Suffering from success.
I think this kind of ambiguity it one of the greatest strengths of the Switch, some would have bought it because it gives the options of home and handheld play, but in reality may only end up using it one way or the other, obviously Nintendo wanted to merge their home and handheld gaming devices, and it suits them to have a console that does fit into either market, that can appeal to both the casual and core markets, no wonder it has such a wide appeal.

Top Bottom