• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the most popular gaming console of all time

ethomaz

Banned
In theory orin should be able to hit ps4 or better performance and an atlan system would be nuts but will nvidia play ball now that they have smarts cars as a market is the question.
Orin is a heavy power envelop chip… it is not fit for Switch.
I mean how can you make a Switch with a 130-750W chip?

zaanan

Banned
Why?

Also did you have a post of mine bookmarked or something? Jesus Christ lol
You’d like that, wouldn’t you? No, there’s this little magnifying glass at the top right of your screen- do you see it? You click on it to finds words. I call it, “search.” It’s amazing, you should try it sometime!
Anyway, I thought that was you, wishing bans on people for console warring, and I was right! So it was an interesting juxtaposition. But you already knew that.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You’d like that, wouldn’t you? No, there’s this little magnifying glass at the top right of your screen- do you see it? You click on it to finds words. I call it, “search.” It’s amazing, you should try it sometime!
Anyway, I thought that was you, wishing bans on people for console warring, and I was right! So it was an interesting juxtaposition. But you already knew that.
The problem with your attempted gotcha is that nothing I said was in any way console war related lol. The person I was replying to is the one that’s getting upset that their beloved console is looking like getting outsold. I don’t even have a switch and don’t intend on buying one any time. I personally added 3 to that PS2 sales tally though.

Nice try though, better luck next time.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Orin is a heavy power envelop chip… it is not fit for Switch.
I mean how can you make a Switch with a 130-750W chip?
You're thinking of the self driving solutions, those have multiple orin chips on board, single chip seems to be 65 watt full spec, a spec that pushes 3.5 to 6 tflops and has 12 core , given they've scaled every other Tegra chip i don't see why they wouldn't be able to here, but again that's saying nvidia wants to play ball

JimRyanGOAT

What is it about Switch that makes it so succesful

None of my friends really play it, and always tell me its not worth it

But it ends up selling so much

If it wasnt for GAF always showing these numbers i'd think it was an okay selling console

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me its the games, currently I'm playing more games on my Switch than I ever did with PS4/5 and the fact I'm in to long RPGs like SMT, Xenoblade and Fire Emblem makes the handheld mode a god send.

MrFunSocks

Banned

If it wasnt for GAF always showing these numbers i'd think it was an okay selling console
Fun games. Relatively cheap. Nice hardware. Good brand recognition and reputation.

zaanan

Banned
The problem with your attempted gotcha is that nothing I said was in any way console war related lol. The person I was replying to is the one that’s getting upset that their beloved console is looking like getting outsold. I don’t even have a switch and don’t intend on buying one any time. I personally added 3 to that PS2 sales tally though.

Nice try though, better luck next time.
U Mad Reaction GIF

I'm one of those who don't really enjoy it.
I bought mine while I was stuck in a remote hotel in the US with nothing to do in the evenings. Played a few games, but prices here are so high I generally avoid buying anything.
Gotta say I enjoyed my time with Picross Sega edition, or whatever that's called.
I also know no one that owns one here, but I don't know anyone who owns any gaming system either :D

SSfox

SNES is the best console ever created by Nintendo, anything that came after was just good or average.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Most liked console of all time? Purely subjective.

OP claims sales / lifetime = popularity. That has no basis in fact. Its laughable.

A sale doesn't guarantee the user liked the hardware. Some people may buy it, find they dislike it over time, and sell it or stop using it. Sales don't show that. Judging popularity by units sold? Why not dollar sales? Higher dollars spent could indicate higher degree of popularity? Do we weight by world population at the time?

Sales figures are objective. Which hardware is liked the most is not. Its not quantifiable. Do we judge by quantity of people who like it? What meets the threshold of liking the hardware? How do we know someone liked the hardware? Do we judge by the strength or passion, the degree to which those who like, feel about it? Etc. Its like asking what are the most liked games? Who knows.

I think it's generally accepted that if a product sells the most, it's the most popular by definition. Or do you want to base it on surveys or something?

kyliethicc

I think it's generally accepted that if a product sells the most, it's the most popular by definition. Or do you want to base it on surveys or something?
By definition, a product that sells the most units is the best selling product (if ranked by unit sales.)

Most popular is purely subjective. For example:

Is the most popular video on Youtube the video with the most views or the most watch time? What's more popular? A short video with 1 billion views, that's been watched for 1 billion minutes? Or a longer video with 0.5 billion views, that's been watched for 15 billion minutes? One has 2x more views, the other has 15x more watch time. People are spending more time on one, but more people have seen the other. Whats the more popular video? Its subjective. The only objective facts are one video has more views, and the other has more watch time.

And the Switch has not sold the most units.

Caio

Casual gamers LOVE the PS2 and PS4 too lol.

Switch isn't some grandma console, most gamers love it too. It's got some incredible games on it, that can't really be disputed.
But also can't be disputed that I dislike it, and for me it's far from greatness.

the ps2 wont be passed ever. switch will drop off too fast once nintendo announce their next system. 2022 will be very good but i think it will drop off hard in 2023 because thats when the successor will be announced. imagine if it reaches something like 150m lifetime? so close!

Lognor

Banned
the ps2 wont be passed ever. switch will drop off too fast once nintendo announce their next system. 2022 will be very good but i think it will drop off hard in 2023 because thats when the successor will be announced. imagine if it reaches something like 150m lifetime? so close!
PS2 was passed by the Switch. Most gamers weren't alive when the PS2 released. PS2 came out decades ago. Switch is the king. Deal with it.

supernova8

Banned
"I want to claim Nintendo Switch is the most popular and I know that most people would assume we're talking the metric total number of units sold.. but... shit.. Switch has not sold as much as the PS2..."
Oh My God Lol GIF by Lifetime

"No worries, Bob. We'll just change the metric to suit us"
Matthew Mcconaughey Chest Thump GIF by Paramount Movies

PS2 was passed by the Switch. Most gamers weren't alive when the PS2 released. PS2 came out decades ago. Switch is the king. Deal with it.

last i checked, 155 was higher than 92. PS2 is still the the highest selling console of all time. deal with it. you guys are the one imagining a future that may or may not even happen. stick to reality.

Lognor

Banned
last i checked, 155 was higher than 92. PS2 is still the the highest selling console of all time. deal with it. you guys are the one imagining a future that may or may not even happen. stick to reality.
This data is looking at the average amount sold per year. The Switch is selling nearly twice as many as the PS2 did on an annual basis. The PS2 sales came at a time when Sony saw no competition from other home console devices for at least 5 years. That's what makes the Switch that much more impressive. They achieved these sales going against the PS4, which was extremely popular. Just not nearly as popular as the Switch.

And the PS2 was manufactured for 13 years. The successor, the PS3, was a colossal failure for Sony so the PS2 didn't even see competition from its successor. LOL. If the Switch is still being sold after 13 years it will easily pass the PS2. Of course that will not happen though.

Inanilmaz

the PS2 was manufactured for 13 years. The successor, the PS3, was a colossal failure for Sony so the PS2 didn't even see competition from its successor. LOL. If the Switch is still being sold after 13 years it will easily pass the PS2. Of course that will not happen though.
Of course it will not happen. Cause only the ps2 was popular enough to pull this off 💪 and STILL the King 👑👆 over 157 million. And this even not being in the hyped up internet era, that makes it even more impressive.

Pretty sure they have a cheaper lite version, that can't even connect towards a TV. people pretending its a console just to throw numbers around that don't make much sense is just on them.

The legit comparison would be handheld for this very reason.

And if u do want to place it in handheld + console category, then u can cut the number in half while at it.
I don't care if it's console or a handheld, hybrid whatever. It's making fat stacks of cash and is popular regardless.

You made a huge mistake here.

Took the highest Switch years and compared them to the full lifetime of all other consoles.

You need to do this after Switch successor is out for a year or two and the original Switch is going EOL

This data is looking at the average amount sold per year. The Switch is selling nearly twice as many as the PS2 did on an annual basis. The PS2 sales came at a time when Sony saw no competition from other home console devices for at least 5 years. That's what makes the Switch that much more impressive. They achieved these sales going against the PS4, which was extremely popular. Just not nearly as popular as the Switch.

And the PS2 was manufactured for 13 years. The successor, the PS3, was a colossal failure for Sony so the PS2 didn't even see competition from its successor. LOL. If the Switch is still being sold after 13 years it will easily pass the PS2. Of course that will not happen though.

im not interested in your feelings and perception of events of the past. i want facts. one of those facts is PS2 is the highest selling console of all time at 155m. so stick to what we were walking about. you said switch already passed PS2. i gave you the facts and you start going on a rant about "lucky sony" nonsense. im all for discussion but im not in the mood to deal with console warrior nonsense.

You made a huge mistake here.

Took the highest Switch years and compared them to the full lifetime of all other consoles.

You need to do this after Switch successor is out for a year or two and the original Switch is going EOL

I already posted previously, even if we only compare peak years, the first 4 years, Switch is only trailing DS

Switch is far ahead of other consoles at the same timeframe

jhOV6pQ.png
nquSFQn.png

Lognor

Banned
Of course it will not happen. Cause only the ps2 was popular enough to pull this off 💪 and STILL the King 👑👆 over 157 million. And this even not being in the hyped up internet era, that makes it even more impressive.

im not interested in your feelings and perception of events of the past. i want facts. one of those facts is PS2 is the highest selling console of all time at 155m. so stick to what we were walking about. you said switch already passed PS2. i gave you the facts and you start going on a rant about "lucky sony" nonsense. im all for discussion but im not in the mood to deal with console warrior nonsense.
Did you actually read the article? It's not about feelings or perceptions. It's about FACTS. The Switch has sold more consoles than anyone else in the same amount of time. If that's not popularity, I don't know what is!

The Switch has been out for nearly five years. The Switch has sold more consoles in five years than the PS2 did. That is a fact. Let's revisit this in 8 years if the Switch is still being manufactured and if it's topped the PS2's total sales. Like for like, the Switch is easily ahead of the PS2.

Woopah

PS4 is the largest dedicated video game platform of all time

Software Unit Sales (million)

1.PS4 1600+ (might reach 2 billion)
2.PS2 1537.0
3.PS3 999.4
4.PS1 962.0
5.NDS 948.74
6.Wii 921.85
7.NSW 681.00

NDS vs NSW (First Half)

NDS 11.70 M (14.8%) LTD 113.48 M
NSW 8.28M (33.9%) LTD 92.87 M

vKQJnHD.jpeg

Japan (November)

2020 NSW 579,788
2021 NSW 468,135 (19.3%)

Market Reaction (Dec 3)

DSN2f2g.jpeg
Lots of data here but I have no idea what overall point you're trying to make.
I'm hoping that's sarcasm and/or tongue-in-cheek; how many price cuts, bundles, and special editions had BOTH the DS and PS2 undergone at this point, nearly five years into their life cycle? It is hard to fathom what a Switch will do at permanent price cuts to 249 and, eventually, 199. Nintendo still holds those cards for when momentum slows down.
Why would it be sarcasm? Everything they said was completely true. Switch could probably pass PS2 if Nintendo gives it long enough. But that's not certain.
I would love to know how much the very cheap handheld only switch is padding these numbers, im sure its about half.
It's 76.34m for the hybrid model and 16.52m for the Lite. It doesn't pad anything though since they are still systems sold.
Let’s hope nVidia shows anything Tegra related in the future to that happen.

Right now there is nothing to do even think in a Switch Pro.
Doesn't have to be Tegra though. Latest speculation I saw was that Dane (next Switch model) will be on a member of the Orin family.
Launch-aligned yes but there is still someway to go until it outsells PS2, if it ever does.
How many Switch consoles will sell this holiday season with Christmas coming up?
Somewhere between 10-12 million during this quarter most likely.

Mabdia

Well... I will just consider any console as the most popular of all time when that console manage to overtake PS2 sales...

Deerock71

I'll tell you guys that are doubting it; the Switch is executing at a level never before seen by any previous system. What if, for example, Nintendo decided to set the price of the Switch at 199 for the next four years, eliminate the Switch Lite all together, and drop the Switch OLED to 299? They'll be writing the history books.

Woopah

I'll tell you guys that are doubting it; the Switch is executing at a level never before seen by any previous system. What if, for example, Nintendo decided to set the price of the Switch at 199 for the next four years, eliminate the Switch Lite all together, and drop the Switch OLED to 299? They'll be writing the history books.
Nintendo care about profits not history. They're not going to drop the price just to beat PS2's record.

Deerock71

Nintendo care about profits not history. They're not going to drop the price just to beat PS2's record.
I think you need to take a closer look at this prideful company that laughed Bill Gates out of the room when they wanted to buy Nintendo.

Woopah

I think you need to take a closer look at this prideful company that laughed Bill Gates out of the room when they wanted to buy Nintendo.
So because they didn't want to be bought by Microsoft, that means Nintendo cares about sales discussions on video game forums? They are not going to sacrifice even 1 yen of profit just to beat the PS2's record. It's not an important metric for them.

Neofire

Until it passes 155 million, no it's not.

You're comparing the average Switch sold in its first four years to the average of a console for an entire 9 years. You do realize consoles sell more units per year in the first four years than their last five, right?

Also the Switch is nearing the end of its FIFTH year on the market, not fourth.
Exactly

Deerock71

So because they didn't want to be bought by Microsoft, that means Nintendo cares about sales discussions on video game forums? They are not going to sacrifice even 1 yen of profit just to beat the PS2's record. It's not an important metric for them.
Leonardo Dicaprio Ok GIF by MOODMAN

There are two paper tigers in that statement. Nintendo doesn't care about what gets said on video game forums, and I never stated they would have to sacrifice one yen of profit. Carry on with your life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom