• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the most popular gaming console of all time

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
what's a McAfee bet?
i5ADTOL.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Subtract all Nintendo Lites sold and lets see where the numbers are.

It's handheld. There is a reason why Nintendo didnt come out with a successor to the DS and the 3DS. This is it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
what's a McAfee bet?

John McAfee once thought that a single Bitcoin would be worth one million dollars by the end of 2020. In fact, he was so sure, he promised he'd eat his dick live on TV if Bitcoin failed to hit that value.

That is a McAfee bet. A bet you're so sure you'll win that your willing to eat your dick if you lose.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Subtract all Nintendo Lites sold and lets see where the numbers are.

It's handheld. There is a reason why Nintendo didnt come out with a successor to the DS and the 3DS. This is it.
There’s a reason why Nintendo didn’t come out with a successor to the Wii and Wii U. This is it.

See? Same applies, muy switch rarely leaves the dock in which it behaves different than when undocked beyond simply transmitting to the TV, what does it make it?

Switch is popular because it can be whatever the user needs it to be, also beyond Anglosphere “game console” is the same for portable and not portable gaming device

Last edited:

Woopah

Leonardo Dicaprio Ok GIF by MOODMAN

There are two paper tigers in that statement. Nintendo doesn't care about what gets said on video game forums, and I never stated they would have to sacrifice one yen of profit. Carry on with your life.
What do you mean by paper tigers? Do you mean strawman?

I said "They're not going to drop the price just to beat PS2's record" and you replied with "I think you need to take a closer look at this prideful company". I thought that meany that you disagreed with me and believed that Nintento would drop the price to beat the PS2's record.

Apologies if I was mistaken. If so, what did you mean?

ethomaz

Banned
Doesn't have to be Tegra though. Latest speculation I saw was that Dane (next Switch model) will be on a member of the Orin family.
Orin is Tegra.

To be more precise it is Tegra Orin.
And from what nVidia released Tegra Orin can't be used in handhelds / portables.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Thanks for the explanation.

What is it about Orin that means it can't be in a portable?
It is designed to higher power consumption.
Another GAFers said from 65W but I could only find reference from 130W.
It can go up to 750W.

To reach portable power envelop nVidia probably needs to cut down something from Orion.

Last edited:

Woopah

It can go up to 750W.

To reach portable power envelop nVidia probably needs to cut down something from Orion.
Perhaps some sort of custom chip could be used with Orin as a base? I can't see nVidia wanting to lose Nintendo's business so it could be worth the investment on their side.

ethomaz

Banned
Perhaps some sort of custom chip could be used with Orin as a base? I can't see nVidia wanting to lose Nintendo's business so it could be worth the investment on their side.
That is an option but looking at Nintendo choices I don't believe they will pay the nVidia tax for something custom.
They will mostly wait nVidia release the sucessor to X1/X2 and buy these from nVidia.
That is why I said the Switch Pro is just a dream in fan heads from a long time already (I posted the same in every new Switch Pro thread here)... there is nothing in nVidia portfolio that allow a Switch Pro to happens.

Of course Nintendo can choose to get out from nVidia and basically kill Switch and go with Switch 2... not a Pro model due the architecture differences.

nVidia can be hiding cards (a 15W Tegra Orion version?) too but it is a bit weird because even Orion got a premature announce.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Sure in America probably,Nintendos influence in a lot of other places isn't that strong.
If by "America" you mean the whole continent, sure... In South America "Nintendo" is the generic name for game consoles for parents of 90s kids still to these days.

Nintendo has done an amazing job, to the point people critizes their "appeal to nostalgia", which isn't more than an outstanding branding work on their part, Switch reflects that, I think it's like the Wii that the console name got bigger than company name... Their positioning has been stellar so far.

ParaSeoul

If by "America" you mean the whole continent, sure... In South America "Nintendo" is the generic name for game consoles for parents of 90s kids still to these days.

Nintendo has done an amazing job, to the point people critizes their "appeal to nostalgia", which isn't more than an outstanding branding work on their part, Switch reflects that, I think it's like the Wii that the console name got bigger than company name... Their positioning has been stellar so far.
I know people in South America who would disagree with you there,video games in general are too expensive there. So even Nintendo had a muted presence. Argentina and Brazil I know for sure were not Nintendo crazy,Sega was more popular there due to Tectoy and Nintendo even pulled out entirely in 2015.

MrA

Banned
It can go up to 750W.

jetson orins already go to 15 watts (and up to 50) so even the 65 I stated was out of date, so the switch 2 could use one, but like I said, Nvidia has to be willing to

Kataploom

Gold Member
I know people in South America who would disagree with you there,video games in general are too expensive there. So even Nintendo had a muted presence. Argentina and Brazil I know for sure were not Nintendo crazy,Sega was more popular there due to Tectoy and Nintendo even pulled out entirely in 2015.
I can say for sure in Colombia, Mexico and Venezuela that's the case... And after Nintendo started putting the company name on their consoles again, I think they'll just reinforce that lol

Top Bottom