• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |OT| Switch It Up

Pre-ordered Mario Wonder and Mario RPG. Can't wait to play it.
Those are going to be great game, but I still want to see a brand new 3D Mario. Maybe they’re saving that for the Switch successor.
I got Baten Kaitos 1+2 Switch in the mail. I forgot about this. Will play this weekend.
I’ve been interested in these two games since each of them first came out, so this remaster is like a dream come true. I am sooooo buying this.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
You'll probably not believe this but just got my first Switch in October 2022. And my wife gifted me with Mario Kart Deluxe 8 at the beginning of the month. Many questions if anyone wouldn't mind answering:

- Unlocking all the remaining tracks in the game: is that all DLC and do I need a Nintendo Online sub?
- If so, does the DLC bundle stick with my memory or can they lock it up if I stop paying for the sub?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
You'll probably not believe this but just got my first Switch in October 2022. And my wife gifted me with Mario Kart Deluxe 8 at the beginning of the month. Many questions if anyone wouldn't mind answering:

- Unlocking all the remaining tracks in the game: is that all DLC and do I need a Nintendo Online sub?
- If so, does the DLC bundle stick with my memory or can they lock it up if I stop paying for the sub?
You do not need a sub, all the other courses cost 25$ or are unlocked if you get NSO + Expansion Pack. I recommend just buying them outright.

Got the Switch in 2022 as well.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
You do not need a sub, all the other courses cost 25$ or are unlocked if you get NSO + Expansion Pack. I recommend just buying them outright.

Hey congrats too. My wife had hers since 2018 but took some time for me to budge.

So I can pretty much just buy a gift card for the Nintendo store and done. Great price too for all that. Wife and I are playing with pro controls. Tried using joy cons but...no.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Question for you. All the way back to the OG Mario Kart (which I'll still play every now and then), I've sucked at getting a perfect score on 150cc. Now they have 200cc as an option?? Uh...is there anyway to place anything beyond 4th or 5th with 200cc? Just insane. Btw, I never owned a WiiU. Prior to the Switch, last 'new' Nintendo was buying the Wii and I wasn't a big fan of Mario Kart 7 (still have it with all the shovel ware too). About the best one I'd played since the OG was Double Dash.

git gud.

But seriously, you just need more experience. Back when I played this game, I had first place in everything. I don’t recall it being that difficult. There is a bit of luck.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
git gud.

But seriously, you just need more experience. Back when I played this game, I had first place in everything. I don’t recall it being that difficult. There is a bit of luck.
Mario Kart generally speaking is relatively easy. This makes it simple to market toward children as well as those a bit older. 150cc isn't really simulating actual kart speed for anyone who's driven real karts. The fact that you go from having a beeline of cars gradually gaining to a cluster of everyone shoulder to shoulder is intense. 200cc though is pure cartoonish fiction though and fits a video game. 2-stroke super karts can max 250, but that takes a professional to get down. At any rate, first time I've been impressed with a Mario Kart game like I was with the OG or Double Dash.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Are there any 2024 Switch games y'all are looking forward to? Metroid Prime 4 is the only thing on my radar but there's no telling when that will come out or if it will be on the Switch 2 instead at this point...

Deerock71

I'
Are there any 2024 Switch games y'all are looking forward to? Metroid Prime 4 is the only thing on my radar but there's no telling when that will come out or if it will be on the Switch 2 instead at this point...
I've got such a MASSIVE backlog of Switch games, Metroid Prime 4's probably TOO much.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I've never played Mario Maker 2 but recall creating levels on Wii U like 7-years ago. That's one. My wife will start Super Mario Wonder shortly. I'll likely take that up after her. Looking forward to? Suikoden 1 & 2 remaster...whenever that happens. Looks like they delayed again.

Labadal

Paper Mario, but I have a 20 game backlog, so I'm good.

I'm looking forward to Eiyuden Chronicle. Aside from that, the other games I'm planning to buy are games that came out years ago.

DoomGyver

I’m looking for a switch game that’s similar to DeadNation or AlienNation that’s on Ps4. I know there are some japan and se asia shmups that I might pickup - I haven’t done much research into them yet though. Any suggestions?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Post holidays I'm curious about Mario Maker 2. My understanding is MM2 is a port from WiiU. Never owned WiiU. My question would be if you're able to build levels using the touch screen on the Switch?

By the way, holiday season is when my wife & I fire up Super Mario Party. Never played the 2nd Mario Party Game on Switch. Recommended or not?

Celcius

°Temp. member

Why did Nintendo delist these Mario games?
I've recently wanted to play the Mario Galaxy games but now that I know it's on Switch, the digital version is delisted... is it not possible to buy Galaxy by itself? Noooooooooo

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Why did Nintendo delist these Mario games?
I've recently wanted to play the Mario Galaxy games but now that I know it's on Switch, the digital version is delisted... is it not possible to buy Galaxy by itself? Noooooooooo
Just going with my marketing gut on this but I'd say sales figures. Show me that they sold more of this than what they produced and how well they were advertised prior to releasing in that triple pack. I did see the physical release the year SM64/Sunshine/Galaxy came out but it was off the shelves barely into the following year. Smart marketing would have been to set aside time to choose one of the titles, work on a solid remaster or remake and release it standalone (like they did with RPG).

This is theory but I wouldn't doubt that has something to do with why they were delisted.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Post holidays I'm curious about Mario Maker 2. My understanding is MM2 is a port from WiiU. Never owned WiiU. My question would be if you're able to build levels using the touch screen on the Switch?

By the way, holiday season is when my wife & I fire up Super Mario Party. Never played the 2nd Mario Party Game on Switch. Recommended or not?
Not to double post but this sat dormant and my wife ended up buying Mario Maker 2 as a gift around New Year's day. It's been fun so far but I got a little bit too far into making sadistically difficult levels rather than trying to sort them out in a typical world format. It's a blast for sure though.

mr wodao

Neo Member
been looking at the eshop and ive been wondering-why has the switch become this generations designated "weeb console"?
i dont remember the wii u being this chock full of bishoujo games, vns, and stuff that would've been japan only 15 years ago.
is it because the portable aspect is bringing in aa and indie devs? is it the lax censorship standards? id love to hear from you guys

BlackTron

been looking at the eshop and ive been wondering-why has the switch become this generations designated "weeb console"?
i dont remember the wii u being this chock full of bishoujo games, vns, and stuff that would've been japan only 15 years ago.
is it because the portable aspect is bringing in aa and indie devs? is it the lax censorship standards? id love to hear from you guys

Nintendo Switch has completely consumed Japan. It's the dominant console over there. Edit: by a bigger margin than here in the states.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
If eshop is hosting these games from legit JP devs or Western devs with mock-up anime-style games; this is due to demand being driven mostly from the West. Yes, there are weebs in Japan but the shift to cater a catalogue of games like that is due demand from larger Western consumers.

Also...
LAviaKk.jpg

YCMw5qt.jpg

Nintendo Switch has completely consumed Japan. It's the dominant console over there. Edit: by a bigger margin than here in the states.
There's more than a niche market likely driving their push for these games. I'm sure folks have seen similar in Steam but given Steam's library; it'd be less of a sore thumb.

It's the portable aspect that attracts low-budget or weeb or indie games. The Vita used to be this, but now the Switch is the only handheld that's popular in Japan (I don't think many people there have a Steam Deck or those retro handhelds. Personally I prefer playing VNs on a portable system instead of on my monitor.
I also saw some vn crap titled Hentai something on the eshop. Lmao
Frankly I wish Nintendo would be a bit more demanding when it comes to game quality.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It's the portable aspect that attracts low-budget or weeb or indie games. The Vita used to be this, but now the Switch is the only handheld that's popular in Japan (I don't think many people there have a Steam Deck or those retro handhelds. Personally I prefer playing VNs on a portable system instead of on my monitor.
I also saw some vn crap titled Hentai something on the eshop. Lmao
Frankly I wish Nintendo would be a bit more demanding when it comes to game quality.
If that is indeed the direction things have gone. Maybe I've jumped the gun but I thought the weeb market was originally in PC gaming. Seems like handhelds may have caught on with Vita as mentioned. Although, I believe it's mostly Nintendo allowing indies to appeal to the niche weeb crowd.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've never docked my Switch before but I've heard people mention the screen getting scratched when sliding it in and out of the dock.
Can you slide it in/out really carefully to avoid that or is it inevitable unless you use a screen protector?

Banjo64

cumsessed
A Link to the Past / Minish Cap

Play them for the first time on my Switch Oled or N3DS?

Just looking for opinions.

Obviously the Oled screen is a million times better than the 3DS screen, but the small screen and form factor plus actual dpad is making me think.

Top Bottom