• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |OT| Switch It Up

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I find it hard to recommend this game with all the technical issues. Hope they get fixed in future patches. If you're new to Pokémon maybe start with one of the older games, like HeartGold on DS or Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl (a remake of older DS games).

I want to buy Pokémon but almost reached the limit of money that I can pay in a year to foreign banks. So I purchased a Nintendo eShop card from a local store to buy the digital version but I still need to wait until the bank payment is confirmed next week. That was really frustrating for me today.
I haven't read on the tech issues. I figure the patch fixes will be quick. However, to OPs question, I'd second that starting with Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl is a great place. You'll know if it's for you or not.

By the way ValiantTraveler ValiantTraveler , you mention purchasing from the eShop. I'm liking the deals on DLCs in eShop. Do they sell individual cards to recharge balance? All I ever see out here in Mexico are cards for Nintendo Online.

After nearly 6 years of complaining about Switch prices on neogaf I'm finally the proud owner of a non-oled switch. I found a FB marketplace seller only 30 minutes away who was selling his switch, breath of the wild, Mario kart 8, and a case for only $210. The switch itself has been used sparingly as the seller mainly games on his Xbox. The only negative part was that the seller was a smoker and their switch has clearly adopted the smell of cigarettes. Hoping that will improve with time. Still, well worth it.

Now I can finally play Breath of the Wild and decide for myself whether it's one of the greatest Zelda's ever made. I got home and set it up and was pleased that everything is in perfect working order.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
After nearly 6 years of complaining about Switch prices on neogaf I'm finally the proud owner of a non-oled switch. I found a FB marketplace seller only 30 minutes away who was selling his switch, breath of the wild, Mario kart 8, and a case for only $210. The switch itself has been used sparingly as the seller mainly games on his Xbox. The only negative part was that the seller was a smoker and their switch has clearly adopted the smell of cigarettes. Hoping that will improve with time. Still, well worth it.

Now I can finally play Breath of the Wild and decide for myself whether it's one of the greatest Zelda's ever made. I got home and set it up and was pleased that everything is in perfect working order.
Well, the OP covers all 3 types of Switch. I too have the original along with my wife.

Pretty good deal with AAA games like that. I used to buy all consoles used. My first PS4 was from a local gaming store. Clearly from a smoker household. I put on some gloves and cleaning it up with dry/moist clothes on the outside, q-tips for crevices and used a compressor to clean out the interior. Given time the smoke smell wasn't noticable.

Don't take a Switch apart. I'd clean well with dry/moist clothes and maybe a very light fan to blow out the small fan or just clean out the nicotine stains on the grill for the fan with a q-tip.

Breath of the Wild is an adventure which defines Switch (even if there was a short lived Wii U release). Don't rush to the ending, take time to really explore the open world.

Cyberpunkd

Buying the Switch tomorrow , Mario Kart 8 bundle + steering wheels (since I think kids will love playing with them). I need to find a way to get them away from the iPad , games they have are incredibly stupid.

Was so close to buying a PS5, but I really do not want to play 25-50 hours games anymore. Which probably means Tactics Ogre is getting bought asap lol.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Buying the Switch tomorrow , Mario Kart 8 bundle + steering wheels (since I think kids will love playing with them). I need to find a way to get them away from the iPad , games they have are incredibly stupid.

Was so close to buying a PS5, but I really do not want to play 25-50 hours games anymore. Which probably means Tactics Ogre is getting bought asap lol.
Sounds like a plan. Is that marked down for black Friday or buying regular retail?

Likewise, I'm on a temporary hiatus from my regular consoles and have only been playing my Switch lately. Make sure to pick up a microSD too as DLCs are sometimes a better economical option to buying physical.

Cyberpunkd

Ok, got it, set it up, kids played some Mario Kart. Looks like hot poo poo on 4K TV, but fuck it, was fun. Thinking if I should grab anything on BF sale.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Ok, got it, set it up, kids played some Mario Kart. Looks like hot poo poo on 4K TV, but fuck it, was fun. Thinking if I should grab anything on BF sale.
If they're play docked, yeah -- it's alright but as you've probably read over the years, most are playing handheld.

If you're looking for some DLCs in the eShop but they're vastly cheaper than buying physical. Not sure if you're in France but if so...

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

If they're play docked, yeah -- it's alright but as you've probably read over the years, most are playing handheld.

If you're looking for some DLCs in the eShop but they're vastly cheaper than buying physical. Not sure if you're in France but if so...

Kids will only play docked under supervision, they are too small + I got two, and I’m not letting them fight over the console.

Thank for the link, will check it out - I’m waiting for 20€ credit, afterwards I will probably get Breath of the Wild.

Cyberpunkd

Got it for more than a week now, super happy. Can jump in for 10-15 minutes in the evening, then plug it in the dock for full charge whether I need it.
Going to concentrate almost exclusively on strategy then-based games. Tactics Orge first or Triangle Strategy?

Why not Steam Deck? Because that thing is massive + extra storage + dock brings this to 550€ minimum vs. 300€ MK8 bundle including all accessories.

Last edited:
I LOVE both, keep in mind Triangle Strategy is much more cutscene heavy compare to Tactics Orge but the way you make decisions in Triangle Strategy is vey interesting.

I finally finished Triangle Strategy a couple of months and the gameplay was fantastic but man there was just so much story. It turned me off from playing the game for a long time

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
550€ minimum vs. 300€

Compare software prices and you will quickly realise something :messenger_winking:. For example Triangle Strategy is 60 EUR Vs. 36 EUR for PC/Deck.

Question to Nintendo Switchers: what's the best portable 3rd party controller set-up for OLED switch?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Got it for more than a week now, super happy. Can jump in for 10-15 minutes in the evening, then plug it in the dock for full charge whether I need it.
Going to concentrate almost exclusively on strategy then-based games. Tactics Orge first or Triangle Strategy?

Why not Steam Deck? Because that thing is massive + extra storage + dock brings this to 550€ minimum vs. 300€ MK8 bundle including all accessories.
Ngl but the Deck has its advantages. However, the value of what you purchased there says something and I get that the Deck has an emulator...but, I don't by games to be emulated. I tried it with Steam of all things to emulate by MegaDrive games. I went back one day and bought a used Megadrive and all those games because I wanted to play direct from the MD. I'm for that authentic experience.
I LOVE both, keep in mind Triangle Strategy is much more cutscene heavy compare to Tactics Orge but the way you make decisions in Triangle Strategy is vey interesting.
You like a challenge. Goodness, loved the demo of Triangle Strategy but I'll admit that I suck once these get into the thick. Getting my butt kicked already by bosses in Trials of Mana remake.
I finally finished Triangle Strategy a couple of months and the gameplay was fantastic but man there was just so much story. It turned me off from playing the game for a long time
What level of difficulty would you put that at? I'm eager because I have a reputation for going half-way with most of JRPGs and then giving up once things get impossible. I miss having game guides in magazine form that I can pick up and just have it all there. Half the sites I use to set up battle strategies are bloated with ads.
Compare software prices and you will quickly realize something :messenger_winking:. For example Triangle Strategy is 60 EUR Vs. 36 EUR for PC/Deck.

Question to Nintendo Switchers: what's the best portable 3rd party controller set-up for OLED switch?
If you're talking a docked control. No wires. Wired controls are everywhere but if you trip a cable -- your dock's going to go down. If you're willing to spend a bit more -- the Nintendo brand Pro Control will do wonders. However, there are a few 3rd party controls that I'd say work great and are a bit more economical. I'm using a wireless PowerA control. For my wife's Switch (mentioned in an above post), if you're ever looking to change out the joycons -- try the HORI pad controls. It's Pro joycon in a manner of speaking.

Ngl but the Deck has its advantages. However, the value of what you purchased there says something and I get that the Deck has an emulator...but, I don't by games to be emulated. I tried it with Steam of all things to emulate by MegaDrive games. I went back one day and bought a used Megadrive and all those games because I wanted to play direct from the MD. I'm for that authentic experience.

You like a challenge. Goodness, loved the demo of Triangle Strategy but I'll admit that I suck once these get into the thick. Getting my butt kicked already by bosses in Trials of Mana remake.

What level of difficulty would you put that at? I'm eager because I have a reputation for going half-way with most of JRPGs and then giving up once things get impossible. I miss having game guides in magazine form that I can pick up and just have it all there. Half the sites I use to set up battle strategies are bloated with ads.

If you're talking a docked control. No wires. Wired controls are everywhere but if you trip a cable -- your dock's going to go down. If you're willing to spend a bit more -- the Nintendo brand Pro Control will do wonders. However, there are a few 3rd party controls that I'd say work great and are a bit more economical. I'm using a wireless PowerA control. For my wife's Switch (mentioned in an above post), if you're ever looking to change out the joycons -- try the HORI pad controls. It's Pro joycon in a manner of speaking.

There are difficulty settings so it shouldn't be too hard

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
There are difficulty settings so it shouldn't be too hard
Enix games, yes. But as much as I love JRPGs...I suck at 'em. I also pace through them like an NPC. I mean, Trials of Mana NPCs have some cool houses. Why start a boss fight when you can eyeball that giant turkey dinner the innkeeper left on a table.

On a Switch note...haven't played Super Mario Odyssey or Origami King...but maybe soon. Maybe.

Enix games, yes. But as much as I love JRPGs...I suck at 'em. I also pace through them like an NPC. I mean, Trials of Mana NPCs have some cool houses. Why start a boss fight when you can eyeball that giant turkey dinner the innkeeper left on a table.

On a Switch note...haven't played Super Mario Odyssey or Origami King...but maybe soon. Maybe.

Well one of the difficulties is easy. As for being a noob to JRPGs,, nothing wrong with that. I Reccomand Chrono Trigger since it's on the shorter side but the game is fantastic

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Well one of the difficulties is easy. As for being a noob to JRPGs,, nothing wrong with that. I Reccomand Chrono Trigger since it's on the shorter side but the game is fantastic
Gotta keep going with Trials of Msna then Harvestella. Well, I'm noob-level but have been playing JRPGs since 4th gen. I have a rep for getting so far and leaving things incomplete. Not to say I don't enjoy them. And not to say I may keep on buying more 😎

FrozenFlame

Is it just me or the joycon sticks are awful for shooters? I've tried the RE5 demo and now Bioshock Remastered and I can't aim properly. There's something weird about the sensitivity and I end up missing the shots.
I'm thinking of getting a NYXI Hyperion, has anyone used one of these? Are the analog sticks better?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Is it just me or the joycon sticks are awful for shooters? I've tried the RE5 demo and now Bioshock Remastered and I can't aim properly. There's something weird about the sensitivity and I end up missing the shots.
I'm thinking of getting a NYXI Hyperion, has anyone used one of these? Are the analog sticks better?
HORI pad cons instead of the Nintendo joycons have been better for most combat/shooter games from my experience. Not as sure about NYXI Hyperion. Maybe someone else knows a bit more.

Just_one

Nintendo US Gaf i REALLY REALLY need your help.

Got my switch on US Region at the moment and my wife got a 50€ Euro card (we are from Europe, Portugal to be exact), i was trying to change the account back to Portugal but it doesnt allow it. It says i have to spend 0.44 cents i have.

Does anyone knows any game or dlc or something i can buy on e-shop that costs that EXACTLY ammount? we really didnt want to buy more cards, that would be a desperation move.

Please help us out!!

Labadal

Both my joycons are starting to die on me. What is the best controller to get for a Switch? Preferrably not new joycons.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Both my joycons are starting to die on me. What is the best controller to get for a Switch? Preferrably not new joycons.
I've said it before but the best set up going forward excluding Nintendo brand joycons wpuld be a Nintendo Pro (or PowerA equivilant) control for playing docked and HORI pads to ŕeplace in handheld mode. That's the best...alrhough there are probably cheaper options.

Labadal

I've said it before but the best set up going forward excluding Nintendo brand joycons wpuld be a Nintendo Pro (or PowerA equivilant) control for playing docked and HORI pads to ŕeplace in handheld mode. That's the best...alrhough there are probably cheaper options.
Thanks, a pro controller seems to be recomnended in a few places.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It's a new year, so find out EVERYTHING that's coming to Nintendo Switch in January 2023, including Fire Emblem Engage, third party titles, indies, amiibo, and even Super Nintendo World!

Last edited:
What did you think of BotW?
Still haven't played yet. I've been waiting for a stretch of mid shifts, which are coming up not this week but the next. The night before I'll stay up to switch my schedule over and then ill have a couple days off in the middle. So I'll see how far I can get. But usually I don't mess around with games. Once I start I have to finish them. A recent exception being super metroid. Instead, I've been playing a bunch of mario kart 8 and animal crossing new horizon, with some super metroid mixed in. I'll get back to this thread once I've started.

ikbalCO

I bought a vanilla switch at launch. Played botw, mk8, odyssey and bayonette 2 probably more than 1000 hours. I sold the thing after 2 year since there was nothing for me to play in the long run.

I was really hoping for an upgraded model for the launch of tears of the kingdom but seeing that custom oled model killed all my hopes.

So once again, a switch owner. I got the lite version cuz i wont play switch games on a 65 inch tv and the oled one is too chunky for handheld

vEVf6BW.jpg

You won nintendo, you fucking won.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I bought a vanilla switch at launch. Played botw, mk8, odyssey and bayonette 2 probably more than 1000 hours. I sold the thing after 2 year since there was nothing for me to play in the long run.

I was really hoping for an upgraded model for the launch of tears of the kingdom but seeing that custom oled model killed all my hopes.

So once again, a switch owner. I got the lite version cuz i wont play switch games on a 65 inch tv and the oled one is too chunky for handheld

vEVf6BW.jpg

You won nintendo, you fucking won.
Sweet bro! I've never played DK Tropical Freeze and would like to hear a bit more about the gameplay. I've been playing Super Mario Party with my wife. She's had her Switch since 2018 and I just got mine last October. For about 3-years we had not touched the first Switch. Just out on Nintendo too. I was on Steam and my wife playing her PS4. I got to a point in my job where I feel it got too busy any I needed a handheld I could pick up and play to take away some of the pressure. Then, we just got a couple PowerA pro controls to play Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Ultra Street Fighter and now Super Mario Party (which she picked up as a post-Christmas game).

The Lite was my first choice too and I changed my mind to the Standard last minute. I'll try out OLED too at some point too. It really is impressive too but portability is a biggie for me. I missed handhelds and I know we've got a console in standard or OLED Switch but, I'm not quite into Steam Deck. I like it but I prefer playing Steam DLCs on P.C. and it'd be hard to pull me from that.

ikbalCO

Sweet bro! I've never played DK Tropical Freeze and would like to hear a bit more about the gameplay. I've been playing Super Mario Party with my wife. She's had her Switch since 2018 and I just got mine last October. For about 3-years we had not touched the first Switch. Just out on Nintendo too. I was on Steam and my wife playing her PS4. I got to a point in my job where I feel it got too busy any I needed a handheld I could pick up and play to take away some of the pressure. Then, we just got a couple PowerA pro controls to play Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Ultra Street Fighter and now Super Mario Party (which she picked up as a post-Christmas game).

The Lite was my first choice too and I changed my mind to the Standard last minute. I'll try out OLED too at some point too. It really is impressive too but portability is a biggie for me. I missed handhelds and I know we've got a console in standard or OLED Switch but, I'm not quite into Steam Deck. I like it but I prefer playing Steam DLCs on P.C. and it'd be hard to pull me from that.
Funny thing is i am looking forward to tears of kingdom but the game that put me on the switch train is persona 5.

I played and finished (and loved) all mainline persona games on vita.

put 40 hours in p5 on ps4 but that game style is not well suited for big screen and full focus. Menu based rpgs are best suited for handheld where you can play while watching football, before sleep etc.

Dk is amazing btw. If you havent played already, get it.

FrozenFlame

Well, answering to myself. Finally got the controller. I have to say that besides the analog sticks, I had no issue with joycons (and I have big hands), so, it's a bit weird to adjust to the bigger controller but it's getting there. It's light but on the other side, it doesn't feel robust (I think it's the same with other third party controllers to be honest). The LED's I could live without, but the turbo button and the back paddle are great additions to the gaming experience. As for the analog stick, it definetly improved the experience, although, perhaps it's because it has been years since I've played a shooter with a controller, it's still a bit tricky to aim with it (playing Bioshock Remaster). Bonus point in comparison with Hori, it can be used as a normal controller (without being attached).

If it doesn't get any issues like other third party controllers, then I'll say that I'm happy with my purchase. Could have been cheaper though.

TuFaN

The 2023 lineup for switch looks mighty strong ^^ Im actually superbly hyped. The only thing Im missing is a mainline mario, but hey that'd be way TOO MUCH hype for me to handle ^^

Celcius

°Temp. member
I know that Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe is a remake of a Wii game but did any of you play the original and enjoy it? It seems built for 4 players but how is it as a single player game? Is it anywhere near as good as Kirby and the Forgotten Land?

Yoshi97

I know that Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe is a remake of a Wii game but did any of you play the original and enjoy it? It seems built for 4 players but how is it as a single player game? Is it anywhere near as good as Kirby and the Forgotten Land?
Return to dreamland isn't as good as forgotten land, but it's pretty good. Unlike star allies there's no need to play co op ( I played it solo on wii). I'm looking forward to it myself, it looks like a solid remaster.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
That makes sense, as it's kinda what happens with the Pro controller on certain NSO games. Thanks for the response!
You can pick up a generic version of the NES control for Switch if you're really running the NES game library on a regular basic. Like it was said above -- it's not going to map the way you'd like with a SNES/Super Famicom-type control. It may seem like a lot but again -- depends how much you want that feel of NES without having to pick up an actual NES or the NES Mini (I own that too) which only has so many games in it's library.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm not into the franchise, but Fire Emblem Engage seems to be calling to me. I still need to finish Hogwarts and I was thinking about the Metroid remaster (I hardly played it back in the day) and that Atomic Heart game for PC. Oh, and I need to finish an adventure game I copped on the Steam the other day.

2023 is turning out to be a bonkers year for gaming IMO. It seems every time I look up gaming news I come across something else that looks good that is out now, or will be shortly.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'm not into the franchise, but Fire Emblem Engage seems to be calling to me. I still need to finish Hogwarts and I was thinking about the Metroid remaster (I hardly played it back in the day) and that Atomic Heart game for PC. Oh, and I need to finish an adventure game I copped on the Steam the other day.

2023 is turning out to be a bonkers year for gaming IMO. It seems every time I look up gaming news I come across something else that looks good that is out now, or will be shortly.
Engage will be worth the investment. I tried the demo first. If Nintendo Online still has the demo up, maybe start there.

Not sure I'd play alongside Hogwarts though, given both are an investment of time and it'd be hard to balance both.

The best part about gaming in 2023 is that I think we'll get everything we asked for the past 2-years and more.

Top Bottom