• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch |OT| Switch It Up

Celcius

°Temp. member
fNfE1Ef.jpg

Here's the official thread for the popular Nintendo Switch system! It's very unique in that it can be played in 3 different ways - handheld mode, docked (TV) mode, and tabletop mode. Plus you can play with joy-cons or even grab a pro controller. It features lots of great games that you can't get anywhere else! As of October 8, 2021 there's a new OLED model that has several new features. For those who want a smaller, more affordable Switch and don't care about hooking it up to a TV, the Switch Lite has you covered. If you'd like to increase the storage of your Switch, you can do so easily by adding a microSDHC or microSDXC card up to 2TB.

Nintendo Switch – OLED Model Technical Specs​

thumb-oled-model

Price$350
Release DateOctober 8, 2021
Size4 inches high, 9.5 inches long, and 0.55 inches deep (with Joy-Con attached)
*The depth from the tip of the analog sticks to the tip of the ZL/ZR buttons is 1.12 inches
WeightApproximately .71 lbs
(Approximately .93 lbs with Joy-Con controllers attached)
ScreenMulti-touch capacitive touch screen / 7.0 inch OLED screen / 1280x720
CPU/GPUNVIDIA Custom Tegra X1 processor
Storage64 GB
Users can easily expand storage space using microSDHC or microSDXC cards up to 2TB (sold separately).
RAM4GB LPDDR4
WirelessWi-Fi (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant) / Bluetooth 4.1
Video outputUp to 1080p via HDMI in TV mode
Up to 720p via built-in screen in Tabletop mode and Handheld modes
Audio outputCompatible with 5.1ch Linear PCM output
Output via HDMI connector in TV mode
SpeakersStereo
ButtonsPower button / Volume button
USB connectorUSB Type-C
Used for charging or for connecting to the Nintendo Switch dock.
Headphone/mic jack3.5mm 4-pole stereo (CTIA standard)
Game card slotNintendo Switch game cards
Switch Game Cartridge Capacity1-64 GB
microSD card slotCompatible with microSD, microSDHC, and microSDXC memory cards
*Once the microSDXC card is inserted, a system update will be necessary. An internet connection is required to perform this system update.
SensorAccelerometer, gyroscope, and brightness sensor
Operating environment41-95 degrees F / 20-80% humidity
Internal batteryLithium-ion battery / 4310mAh
Battery lifeApproximately 4.5 - 9 hours
The battery life will depend on the games you play. For instance, the battery will last approximately 5.5 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Advantages of the OLED model over the Original Switch:​

*Dock includes built-in ethernet LAN port
*7" OLED 720p screen instead of 6.2" LCD 720p screen
*64gb internal storage vs 32gb on the original
*Enhanced speakers
*Enhanced stand for Tabletop mode

Differences of the Switch Lite vs the Original Switch:
*Has a 5.5" 720p LCD touch screen instead of 6.2" LCD 720p screen
*Comes in a smaller design which cannot be docked or connected to a TV
*Price of $200, vs $300 on the original Switch

Some Popular Switch Games​

b8FRXzD.jpg
u3wrjGR.jpg
jsachrw.jpg
z0nNRLG.jpg
O143p9v.jpg

Nintendo Switch Online
The basic account lets you play online, save your game data to the cloud, and more.

Individual Membership - Designed for one Nintendo Account holder.

1 Month3 Months12 Months
$3.99 USD$7.99 USD$19.99 USD

Family Membership - Great for up to 8 Nintendo Account holders.

12 Months
$34.99 USD

In addition to the basic online account, there's also the newly announced Expansion Pack which includes N64 games, Sega Genesis games, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Happy Home Paradise.

Individual Membership - Get everything included in Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack for one Nintendo Account holder.

12 months
$49.99 USD
Family Membership - Get Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack for up to 8 Nintendo Account holders.

12 Months
$79.99 USD

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I noticed that there was no official Switch thread so I decided to finally create one :messenger_sunglasses:
I recently grabbed a Switch myself and have really been enjoying it. Prior to this I hadn't owned a Nintendo system since the Gamecube. So far I've got Metroid Dread, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and DOAX3 Scarlet. I'm planning to grab Fire Emblem 3 Houses some time during Black Friday most likely. As someone who hadn't bought a Switch yet I'm glad they decided to double the internal storage as I only really plan to buy a handful of games for it and the included internal storage is plenty for me. Plus the OLED screen looks awesome and I've been using my Switch exclusively in handheld mode since I've opened it. Fortunately I had created a Nintendo account with the ID that I wanted as soon as the Switch originally came out in 2017 so I had that ready to go as well.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Does Nintendo typically have any sales on their e-shop during Black Friday for first party games?

Mr Hyde

I think Switch is on track of becoming my favorite system of all time. I absolutely love everything about it. The hybrid concept is squeezing out a lot of game time. Killer library with the best third party support since SNES. Also, the OLED model is one sexy beast. It's what the Switch should've been from the start. I haven't dabbled with Nintendo since Gamecube, wrote them off as they failed to attract me with Wii/Wii U, but Switch rekindled my love for them. They are hitting it out of the park with Switch.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Black Friday sales: https://www.nintendo.com/holiday/

"Save $20 on select games​

$39.99*/each​

Choose from The Legend of Zelda™: Breath of the Wild, New Super Mario Bros.™ U Deluxe, Super Mario Maker™ 2, The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening, Splatoon™ 2, Paper Mario™: The Origami King, Kirby™ Star Allies, Fire Emblem™: Three Houses, ASTRAL CHAIN™, and Xenoblade Chronicles™: Definitive Edition

Offer valid 11/21/2021 – 11/27/2021; available while supplies last. See participating retailers for details"

I'm assuming these prices will be valid on the e-shop too and not just physical copies?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Are OLEDS gonna be out of stock like Series X / PS5? Would love to land one in the next couple of weeks.

Star-Lord

Are OLEDS gonna be out of stock like Series X / PS5? Would love to land one in the next couple of weeks.
Depends on location. In the UK, you can just walk into any GAME and pick one up. Which I’m tempted to do, but I gotta watch the pennies. I want one for Dread and Pokémon BDPS.

Star-Lord

Can you? Bastards haven’t got them online though :(

Might be worth a trip to see.
I mean, I said any GAME but that’s obviously not 100% true. But the store in Oxford definitely had at least ten in stock when I went in last week. It could be worth giving your store a call beforehand to avoid wasting a trip.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
my switch wont charge hope its the third party usb c cord and not my switch, will try my dock when home

edit update.
found another lead and it charges.
never knew that some usb c leads might not work with the switch ?

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Snagged an OLED model on the Nintendo UK store was just randomly looking and got the Metroid Dread bundle.

Jennings

I have a random question about the Switch:

Other than resolution, are all Switch games 100% identical in both handheld and TV mode?

I own a Switch but have literally never played in handheld so I can't answer the question regarding a specific game. In NASCAR Heat Ultimate+ there's a screen where other drivers will give you feedback after a race. I've seen it in TV mode, but my brother claims he's never seen it, and he plays strictly in handheld (he doesn't have access to a television or monitor). The screen only shows up once in a great while, so I'd have to play for hours in handheld to get it to pop up, but that's not logistically feasible for me so I was mostly curious if maybe there are other games people have played with potential differences like this. I'm just wondering if he's had bad luck or if there's a slight difference due to display of choice.

Well shit looks like I bought the white oled off Amazon. Wanted it off gamestop since I had $240 in trade in credit but I ain't buying a bundle , guess I will just use it towards a xsx when their stock is better next year hopefully and get it around half price .

I have a shiny new 256gb SD card waiting for it but holy hell it's gonna be rough redownloading all my shit , my internet connection is slow as molasses. I buy mostly physical but do have a decent amount of digital games with Switch to where my 128gb card was tapped out.

Anyway can't wait to enjoy this new unit as I play in handheld mode 99.9% so a bigger and nicer screen is worth it to me.

Andyliini

I have a shiny new 256gb SD card waiting for it but holy hell it's gonna be rough redownloading all my shit , my internet connection is slow as molasses. I buy mostly physical but do have a decent amount of digital games with Switch to where my 128gb card was tapped out.
There is a way around this. You can take your old SD card out from your current Switch and connect it to your PC. Now, you can freely copy all the content out (everything useful is inside Nintendo-folder). Then you can format the new SD card on your OLED Model and then transfer the folder into it. I have done this myself, when I got my new model.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Anyone got the D/P Switch Lite console? Anyone with any Lite, what’s the crack with drift? I’m in the UK and I don’t think Nintendo will repair for free outside of warranty. I had drift on my original joycon after 200 hours of game play.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is there any chance of smash bros getting maybe a Turbo or Super edition with all the DLC in one package? Seems like it’s over $100 for the game and all the characters, and I’m definitely not THAT into Smash…

Shaqazooloo

Is there any chance of smash bros getting maybe a Turbo or Super edition with all the DLC in one package? Seems like it’s over $100 for the game and all the characters, and I’m definitely not THAT into Smash…
Nintendo is only just now bundling Splatoon 2 dlc and breath of the Wild DLC... in Japan and I'm not even entirely sure if it's even at a lower price than separate purchases.

Doubtful they'll bundle Smash in a package and sell for cheaper especially since both packs are $20.

Celcius

°Temp. member
One thing that excites me about a newer switch even more than additional power is having an m.2 ssd. Super fast loading times would make a huge difference.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Nintendo Switch has an incredibly strong library of games, with many worth recommending. For our 10 absolute favorite games, however, you can check out the list below. It's a list we will be updating as often as games worthy of inclusion release. We will kick games off and add new ones as the Switch's library grows.

Here are Game Informer’s picks for the top 10 BEST games on the Switch.

The games considered for this list that didn't make the cut, or have been cut since we originally published this article: Hollow Knight, Fortnite, Celeste, Golf Story, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Splatoon 2, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Doom, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Sonic Mania, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition, and recent classics that have been ported, Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, Inside, and Axiom Verge. They’re all still great games, so give them a try, too!

There is a way around this. You can take your old SD card out from your current Switch and connect it to your PC. Now, you can freely copy all the content out (everything useful is inside Nintendo-folder). Then you can format the new SD card on your OLED Model and then transfer the folder into it. I have done this myself, when I got my new model.
I appreciate the advice but I am way too computer illiterate to figure that out plus I don't really own a up to date computer anyway.

I finally got around to unboxing and setting up my new Oled model. The screen is just amazing . Mario Kart 8 is just wow . I have a vita oled but was never overly wowed by it , but switch oled is so sweet. I managed to get 1 little spec of dust under the glass screen protector which sucks but it's not really noticeable. As someone who plays a lot of switch and 99.9% of the time portable this was a worthwhile upgrade.
I may have to go for an oled tv whenever I finally get a new one .

Shaqazooloo

I’m thinking about buying a Switch. Can you guy provide some must-play game recommendations? I have a bunch of names in mind but would love to hear opinions.
Here's some that I think are worth checking out.

Super Mario Odyssey
Breath of the Wild
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Octopath Traveler
Luigi's Mansion 3
Xenoblade Chronicle's 1 or 2
Metroid Dread
Shin Megami Tensei V
No More Heroes 3 (If not bothered by graphics or frames in hub area)
Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Here's some that I think are worth checking out.

Super Mario Odyssey
Breath of the Wild
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Octopath Traveler
Luigi's Mansion 3
Xenoblade Chronicle's 1 or 2
Metroid Dread
Shin Megami Tensei V
No More Heroes 3 (If not bothered by graphics or frames in hub area)
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Thanks! I've been considering at least half of these games. I'm thinking of starting with Mario and Zelda.
Are there occasional deals on Switch games? Is there anywhere you can buy games for slightly reduced prices?

Shaqazooloo

Thanks! I've been considering at least half of these games. I'm thinking of starting with Mario and Zelda.
Are there occasional deals on Switch games? Is there anywhere you can buy games for slightly reduced prices?
If we're talking about first party Switch games, yes but it is usually tied to big events like E3 or something. They sometimes do Mario discounts during March. In general though the highest rated first party titles don't get discounted that much. As a whole though their are quite a few sales on Switch game just not to often first party.

I'm mostly digital so I don't really know the best places for that, I've usually only checked Amazon, they have some games like Zelda and Odyssey for around $40, although they might be back to the standard price now due to low stock but usually amazon has Switch games for $40.

Something that I've heard people do is buy and then resell, since most Nintendo games stay close to full price and you get most of the money back.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Seriously.... a Nintendo is the best way to cure your gaming sickness when you lost interest in most games on PS 4 or PC. Just bought the OLED Switch and went back to Fire Emblem Three Houses, Story of Seasons and some Mario Kart. Iam literally playing all day again. ^^

Now i will just wait for Triangle Strategy and look for some more games to buy.

Last edited:
My Swith Lite Turquoise should arrive next week. In the meantime I met a local gamer to buy Breath of the Wild from him for around $55. The cool thing is he wants to buy my extra copy of Nier Automata, so i'll make some of my money back.

I'll start with Breath of the Wild since it's a must-play of the console and most Switch owners started playing on it with that game. As usual I'm late to the party. Also I'll get Triangle Strategy when it comes out. These two games are gonna keep me busy for a while.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Man I was worried about the eshop not having sales but this last month has been frigging nuts. The eshop discount combined with the various eshop card sales over the holiday has resulted in me buying way more stuff than I planned on.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Man I was worried about the eshop not having sales but this last month has been frigging nuts. The eshop discount combined with the various eshop card sales over the holiday has resulted in me buying way more stuff than I planned on.
Got about six games for Xmas time. My storage is limited. Some great games for sale locked up for really cheap.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Switch newbie here. Care to name a few games?

How often do sales like this happen?
Under Night
Children of morta
WindJammers
Oxen free
Mana spark forgotten crypts
Overcooked special edition
Sine Mora EX
Door kickers action squad
Sword of Ditto Mormo’s Curse

Yes they happen a lot
Deku deals is your friend.

Got more than I realised. Also got Dex from Gold Coins

Had many spark from a giveaway before, but the dlc as was cheap as. Don’t sleep it is a good little game.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Shit 86 games for my switch. 16 of those are physical lol

This is from when I got it in 2017 to now.
(A lot of the digits I got on sale. Some I got in a giveaway and I won a game via YouTube)

Is this a normal amount or am I a digital hoarder

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member

SNK vs Capcom: Cardfighters Clash just released on the Switch for $8 out of nowhere! It’s the best card RPG game of all time and includes both the Capcom and SNK versions. I highly recommend it, especially for the price.

kunonabi

SNK vs Capcom: Cardfighters Clash just released on the Switch for $8 out of nowhere! It’s the best card RPG game of all time and includes both the Capcom and SNK versions. I highly recommend it, especially for the price.
Already put like 6 hours into it today. SNK is really on a roll lately.

snatcherjunker

Neo Member
Switch newbie here. Care to name a few games?

How often do sales like this happen?

The e-shop regularly has sales, you just have to follow Wario64/CheapAssGamer or DekuDeals for updates.

My personal fave games so far (including retro games):

Paper Mario: The Origami King
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - good time
Sega Genesis Classics (mainly Shining Force is what sold me) - its fun on-the-go and a good list of games although the emulation could be better.
If you like murder mystery visual novels then Famicom Detective Club: The Two-Case collection
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - for a good retro Famicom throwback much better than anything on Nintendo Switch Online for the most part.
FFVII-FFIX ports go on sale regularly as does Dragon Quest and the Ace Attorney Chronicles

The best deal usually happens in the holidays for Switch, but I've noticed that lately they are putting more first-party games on-sale compared to before either at Best Buy, Gamestop, or actually on the e-shop.

The e-shop regularly has sales, you just have to follow Wario64/CheapAssGamer or DekuDeals for updates.

My personal fave games so far (including retro games):

Paper Mario: The Origami King
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - good time
Sega Genesis Classics (mainly Shining Force is what sold me) - its fun on-the-go and a good list of games although the emulation could be better.
If you like murder mystery visual novels then Famicom Detective Club: The Two-Case collection
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - for a good retro Famicom throwback much better than anything on Nintendo Switch Online for the most part.
FFVII-FFIX ports go on sale regularly as does Dragon Quest and the Ace Attorney Chronicles

The best deal usually happens in the holidays for Switch, but I've noticed that lately they are putting more first-party games on-sale compared to before either at Best Buy, Gamestop, or actually on the e-shop.
Appreciate the suggestions.

I got the Switch and Breath of the Wild. Just acquired the paraglider. It's really fun so far though I'm not a big fan of losing health in the snowy area.

I also downloaded the demo of Triangle Strategy and I'm enjoying it. The battle is quite long though. But I'll definitely get that game.

Also, I came across Tales of Vesperia on the eshop and it's like $9.99 currently. I didn't even know that game was available on the Switch. It wasn't on my wishlist but I'm tempted to buy it before the sale ends.

The FF ports are still fresh in my mind, I re-played these games during the last few years. However, I do intend to get Dragon Quest XI and The Great Ace Attorney at some point.

snatcherjunker

Neo Member
Also, I came across Tales of Vesperia on the eshop and it's like $9.99 currently. I didn't even know that game was available on the Switch. It wasn't on my wishlist but I'm tempted to buy it before the sale ends.
There's a bunch of games on Switch eshop that you would be surprised are on the platform in general. They don't really make it too easy to find games - sometimes you just have to search and see what pops up. I have Tales of Vesperia (also acquired on a discount) and it's been fun.

TheZink

Finally ordered mine this morning. Been looking forward to playing BOTW for years. Shipping is almost a month off from Amazon so I hope to find one quicker and cancel the Amazon order. For now the Amazon order is the backup plan.

Edit: shipping time just got bumped to this week. 🙏🙌

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
How are the FF7-ff9 ports on switch?
Looks like I just missed the sale on Vesperia, I might have double dipped on that one.

Andyliini

How are the FF7-ff9 ports on switch?
Looks like I just missed the sale on Vesperia, I might have double dipped on that one.
I have them all and they are all right, I would think they are relatively similar regardless of the platform. I did not experience problems with FFVIII (altough it still does not have analogue controls), while VII and IX froze a couple of times. This is not a problem with IX as it autosaves often, but VII does not do it at all, so be sure so save often.

Labadal

What (announced) games are you looking forward to?

So far for me:
Triangle Strategy
BotW2
Dragon Quest III 2DHD
The War of Genesis: Remnants of Gray (Hoping for western release.)

Top Bottom