• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Outsells PS1 Worldwide - Sales

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
The Switch sold 341,662 units for the week ending January 15, 2021 to bring its lifetime sales to 102.81 million units. This compares to the PlayStation with sales of 102.5 million units lifetime. The figure for the Switch includes the combined sales of the original Switch model, the Switch Lite, and Switch OLED.

Nintendo's hybrid console has now become the fifth best-selling video game platform of all time. Next up is the PlayStation 4, which has sold an estimated 116.58 million units to date, then the Game Boy (plus Game Boy Color) at 118.69 million units.

The Switch is 13.77 million units away from the PlayStation 4, and 15.88 million units away from the Game Boy.

switch-consoles-1.jpg

Breaking down the sales of the Switch, it has sold 34.67 million units in the US, 27.22 million units in Europe, and 23.43 million units in Japan. Breaking down sales in Europe even further, it has sold 5.21 million units in the UK, 6.11 million in France, and 5.93 million in Germany.

Here is a list of the top 10 best-selling Nintendo Switch games, according to Nintendo's shipment figures throughSeptember 30, 2021:

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 38.74 million
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 34.85 million
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 25.71 million
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 24.13 million
  5. Pokemon Sword / Pokemon Shield – 22.64 million
  6. Super Mario Odyssey – 21.95 million
  7. Super Mario Party – 16.48 million
  8. Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! – 13.83 million
  9. Splatoon 2 – 12.68 million
  10. Ring Fit Adventure – 12.21 million
The Switch launched worldwide on March 3, 2017, while the PS1 launched in Japan on December 3, 1994, in North America, on September 9, 1995, and in Europe on September 29, 1995.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
next business year it should do another 15-20 million. After that it will start to become interesting. 130m total is a safe bet at this point.

Barakov

The Switch sold 341,662 units for the week ending January 15, 2021 to bring its lifetime sales to 102.81 million units. This compares to the PlayStation with sales of 102.5 million units lifetime. The figure for the Switch includes the combined sales of the original Switch model, the Switch Lite, and Switch OLED.

Nintendo's hybrid console has now become the fifth best-selling video game platform of all time. Next up is the PlayStation 4, which has sold an estimated 116.58 million units to date, then the Game Boy (plus Game Boy Color) at 118.69 million units.

The Switch is 13.77 million units away from the PlayStation 4, and 15.88 million units away from the Game Boy.

switch-consoles-1.jpg

Breaking down the sales of the Switch, it has sold 34.67 million units in the US, 27.22 million units in Europe, and 23.43 million units in Japan. Breaking down sales in Europe even further, it has sold 5.21 million units in the UK, 6.11 million in France, and 5.93 million in Germany.

Here is a list of the top 10 best-selling Nintendo Switch games, according to Nintendo's shipment figures throughSeptember 30, 2021:

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 38.74 million
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 34.85 million
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 25.71 million
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 24.13 million
  5. Pokemon Sword / Pokemon Shield – 22.64 million
  6. Super Mario Odyssey – 21.95 million
  7. Super Mario Party – 16.48 million
  8. Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! / Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! – 13.83 million
  9. Splatoon 2 – 12.68 million
  10. Ring Fit Adventure – 12.21 million
The Switch launched worldwide on March 3, 2017, while the PS1 launched in Japan on December 3, 1994, in North America, on September 9, 1995, and in Europe on September 29, 1995.

VGCHARTZ
0UcQLd8.jpg

Dream-Knife

Banned
Good for them. Kinda wish they used that money to make more games though.
Yeah. The entire point of them combining their console and handheld divisions was to make games faster, but they're just as slow now, but with less games overall.

I really wish Atlus would keep making 3ds level games. Of course look at all the people that complain about the Switch now.

We need another Radiant Historia.

If the next console is fully backwards compatible, doesn't debut until 2023, and Switch is in production until 2025... I see the Switch surpassing the PS2.

This is very plausible IMO. End of Switch's life with a price cut and glut of games will help it continue to sell, particularly in the South American and Asian markets.

Last edited:

yurinka

VG Chartz WW numbers are totally fake, just fan guess estimations.

In a few days Nintendo will reveal the real numbers for the quarter that ends in December 31 2021, revealing the real amount of consoles sold until then.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Yeah. The entire point of them combining their console and handheld divisions was to make games faster, but they're just as slow now, but with less games overall.

I really wish Atlus would keep making 3ds level games. Of course look at all the people that complain about the Switch now.

We need another Radiant Historia.
you definitely didn't have a wii u, or a wii with half of the games being wiimote gimmicks... or a N64 with just 10 must have Nintendo exclusives.

Banjo64

cumsessed
you definitely didn't have a wii u, or a wii with half of the games being wiimote gimmicks... or a N64 with just 10 must have Nintendo exclusives.
He’s saying that the plan was to have the same amount of exclusive games as the DS/Wii and 3DS/Wii U combined but instead things have slowed to a crawl. He’s not wrong. Nintendo used to be able to pump out quality games for their handhelds.

Ezquimacore

Banned
He’s saying that the plan was to have the same amount of exclusive games as the DS/Wii and 3DS/Wii U combined but instead things have slowed to a crawl. He’s not wrong. Nintendo used to be able to pump out quality games for their handhelds.
handheld games are great and all but we can't compare the scale of a link between worlds and phantom hourglass to botw and botw 2. Same with mario 3d world and mario odyssey. I guess would be cool to have smaller scale games while we wait for the bigger scale games, but it's not like Nintendo has 1000 developers per studio like Ubisoft. BOTW is one of their biggest game ever if not the biggest and that was developed by only 300 devs.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Are you sure about that? compared to what period?
Compared to Nintendo's output with a console and a handheld.
I skipped 7th generation completely (was on PC). N64 is my favorite console.
Yes this.

Last edited:

M16

i dont think ive ever heard of anyone not use it exclusively as a handheld

Trimesh

Banned
What's even more impressive is that the Switch has managed this level of sales without any significant price cuts. A significant part of the PSX sales occurred after the price dropped to $99 and it hit impulse purchase territory.

Although I did think that the Switch was going to be pretty successful, I never expected it to hit the numbers it has.

blacktout

A Nintendo handlet is selling more than home consoles... pretend to be shock! 🤡🍿

The average Sony home console has sold 115 million units. The average Nintendo handheld has sold 107 million units. There was no reason to think that the Switch outselling the PSX would be a given, even if you consider it to primarily be a handheld.

(I didn't include the PS5 in my Sony average since it's still at the beginning of its life cycle. Nintendo's average is basically the same whether or not you include the Switch's unconfirmed ~102 million in sales.)

i dont think ive ever heard of anyone not use it exclusively as a handheld

I mean, there's a substantial amount of evidence that this isn't the case—from the fact that the dockable OG Switch has massively outsold the Switch Lite to the usage data that Nintendo has released—but if you're feeling lazy, you don't have to look any farther than this thread from *yesterday* where 37% of those who voted said that rarely or never use their Switch in portable mode. Small sample size, yes, but at least now you've heard of someone "not using it exclusively as a handheld." And, if you really just want to meet one person, I only use my Switch as a portable about half the time. Hell, just minutes ago I was playing Metroid Dread on my TV.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Wouldn’t trust VGchartz, although this seems reasonable. I guess we’ll know for sure soon enough.

Calverz

The top 10 selling switch games are all first party when we know previously Minecraft on switch has sold more than botw
michael jordan laughing GIF

It’ll be second only to the PS2 when all is said and done. 135-145m if they don’t release a successor for another few years.
the problem with comparing old system in sales numbers only is that it doesnt take into account the situation and size of the industry at the time, 150 million consoles is a lot but back in day of PS2 it was a much more significant number because the % of the market it represented, for the size of the industry today is not as significant, a similar situation happens with the nes or the atari 2600 their total sales are not big in fact are usually not considered but for their time they were market leaders that dominated the industry so their sales were very significant for the % of the market, assuming there are consoles and the industry keeps growing at the same rate in 20 more year it wont be weird that a system sells 150 million units

spons

Gold Member
Good. Nice device with great games. Hopefully the next time they fart out a revamped online service it'll stink less though.

nordique

Still, it's handheld vs home console. In that case Apple/iPhones have sold more "consoles", and it's a "handheld" gaming device.

Cmon Bo, you know thats a bit ridiculous. It’s a dedicated video gaming device in the dedicated video game sphere. It can be docked. I and many others play it docked frequently. It’s a new type of console, a “hybrid”. And it’s selling incredibly well.

Your point is like saying PCs have sold more “consoles” than even iPhones or the PS2, as there are more PCs globally than anything

Top Bottom