• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch platform support has been found in the GTAV leak

Robb

Gold Member
Better late than never I guess? Maybe they’ll move it to Switch 2 at this point… Or who am I kidding, they’ll probably just release it on both.

Assuming it is indeed happening, I for one didn’t think they’d bother.

Better late than never I guess? Maybe they’ll move it to Switch 2 at this point… Or who am I kidding, they’ll probably just release it on both.

Assuming it is indeed happening, I for one didn’t think they’d bother.
I think that we are going to have a GTV Switch version in 2024 (~135 Million install base is too tempting for Rockstar) and a Switch 2 version for 2025 also a RDR2 port for Switch 2 and GTVI for Switch 2.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I had that thought a few weeks ago... But I thought GTA V would be a launch game for the Switch 2.

Last edited:

tkscz

Wtf rockstar, GTA 5 is originally a PS360 game so this port should have happened years ago.
And that code has most likely been sitting there for years. Rockstar games never sold very well on Nintendo consoles until RDR and GTA Trilogy (The later staying on the top selling digital games for a while), so they had little faith in porting a GTA to a Nintendo console. Now that they see success on Switch, they see no reason not to just port the game over since yeah, the Switch could easily run the PS360 version of the game.

Mowcno

And there's been references in valve code to things like Left4dead 3 for over a decade. Comments about potential platforms in code does not equal 100% going to happen. Is there even any evidence this is a recent comment and not something written into the code in 2016/2017?

diffusionx

Gold Member
lol total overreaction on the part of that guy. I am sure somebody at Rockstar was working on porting the game to Switch, the question is to release it or not.

My guess is that it was canceled years ago. There's a reason they don't support the 360 and PS3 GTA Online.

Last edited:
Wtf rockstar, GTA 5 is originally a PS360 game so this port should have happened years ago.
For it to make them money worth the effort they would need bloated GTAO working good enough on it. Steam Deck it only just runs at 40FPS.

Heck GTAO was so bloated they had to remove content from it recently so it wouldn't break from further updates.

Rambone

I would have totally played GTA Online on my Switch for the novelty of it, unfortunately the 'can it run on the switch' novelty has worn off and I am just ready for Switch 1 to die off and be replaced by Switch 2.

Scotty W

Seriously, the one where Nintendo are super anal about anything remotely controversial in games on their platform, seriously
Is GTAV really any more offensive than San Andreas? I think those times have mostly passed.
It would be 2gb in the cart and a mandatory 60gb download.
I wonder how much they can actually fit on a cartridge. The TotK install is only about 1gb, and that game must be massive.

Draugoth

Gold Member
It's not

The number of mentions of the name "Nintendo Switch" are extremely small (2), compared to the number of references to the console's codename (NX64). Some elements were ported and adjusted for the NX64, but nothing concrete that the game would be running on ARM.

The RAGE ENGINE was ported to ARM64 with the release of Red Dead Redemption 1 for the Nintendo Switch. As GTA 5 runs on top of the RAGE ENGINE, it would be a waste of time to try running GTA 5 on the Switch before the Engine itself. More references were found to Stadia (YETI) (x86) than the name "Nintendo Switch".

Any post claiming that GTA 5 was or is in development for the Nintendo Switch is completely based on hopium.

If the mention of a platform name in the source code meant that the game was in development for that platform, GTA 5 was in development for the Macintosh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom