• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Sports Review Thread

TexMex

Look. Wii Sports was a fun tech demo in 2006 but that shit isn’t fun today and people are getting to this and realizing that their rose colored 15 year old Wii Sports memories are better off left as memories.

Bridges

It is though. It's Wii Sports, coming for a second time.
*4th time

We had Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort with the New Motion+
Wii Sports Club for the Wii U, which was the first Wii Sports with updated graphics and controls
and now Nintendo Switch Sports

I could still see this gaining a lot of traction since it's on Switch, but Resort and (especially) Club did not make a massive splash when they came out, I would not expect this to recapture the same attention either.

The original Wii Sports was a once-in-a-lifetime phenomenon.

Look. Wii Sports was a fun tech demo in 2006 but that shit isn’t fun today and people are getting to this and realizing that their rose colored 15 year old Wii Sports memories are better off left as memories.

I know plenty of people who still have their Wii hooked up for Bowling and Golf (and nothing else). I don't disagree that this isn't going to set the world on fire like the first one did but it shouldn't be discounted that Wii Sports is still to this day a massively enjoyed and revered title. This game will do well and Nintendo are smart to release it, if anything they should've been on this sooner.

Last edited:

Woopah

*4th time

We had Wii Sports
Wii Sports Club for the Wii U, which was the first Wii Sports with updated graphics and controls

I could still see this gaining a lot of traction since it's on Switch, but it Resort and (especially) Club did not make a massive splash when they came out, I would not expect this to recapture the same attention either.

I know plenty of people who still have their Wii hooked up for Bowling and Golf (and nothing else). I don't disagree that this isn't going to set the world on fire like the first one did but it shouldn't be discounted that Wii Sports is still to this day a massively enjoyed and revered title. This game will do well and Nintendo are smart to release it, if anything they should've been on this sooner.
Wii Sports Resort sold over 33 million units. There was definitely demand for a sequel (whether that is still the case remains to be seen).

Bridges

Wii Sports Resort sold over 33 million units. There was definitely demand for a sequel (whether that is still the case remains to be seen).
Damn, I didn't realize it was that much (I was one of those btw, Resort was great). I guess anecdotally, I didn't get the impression at the time that it was the zeitgeist "everyone is talking about this" thing that Wii Sports was, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised it was a quiet hit (I also could've just been paying less attention to that sorta thing than I do now).

Wii Sports Club I'm fairly certain did not fair anywhere near as well, but that probably has more to do with the Wii U than the Wii Sports brand itself

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I'm so hyped for this. The only thing that could ruin this for me is if the loading is as bad as it is in RingFit.

Bragr

Banned
Yeah, there is still plenty of people keeping their old Wii around, playing tennis with their kids, or got some nostalgia for Wii bowling. Wii Sports is one of the easiest games to sell used.

It's just so easy to learn how to play it, it's the perfect kid game or non-gamer game, even today. Nintendo just gotta get the word out that you can do this now on the Switch.

TexMex

*4th time

We had Wii Sports

I could still see this gaining a lot of traction since it's on Switch, but Resort and (especially) Club did not make a massive splash when they came out, I would not expect this to recapture the same attention either.

Anyone who is actively playing Wii Sports in 2022, let alone even having a Wii hooked up still, is the exception not the rule.

And yeah of course it’ll do well. Every game Nintendo makes and puts on Switch is destined to sell a million plus. I don’t think it’s bad business, I just think it was a cute fun thing but very much a product of its time, and people are over estimating how fun that actually was. We’re just so far past it.

Dr Bass

Ok. I didn't realize Open Critic categorized it that way. I just went over and checked and personally, I don't like their labels. A game with a 75 rating is "fair". Any game below 70 is "weak"? I don't get that.
It's the "gamer scale" that says anything below a 9 is "trash." It's totally bizarre and is one of the biggest problems with game scores and reviews.

Woopah

Anyone who is actively playing Wii Sports in 2022, let alone even having a Wii hooked up still, is the exception not the rule.

And yeah of course it’ll do well. Every game Nintendo makes and puts on Switch is destined to sell a million plus. I don’t think it’s bad business, I just think it was a cute fun thing but very much a product of its time, and people are over estimating how fun that actually was. We’re just so far past it.
I hooked up the Wii the other day to play Wii Golf, count me as an exception :p

jigglet

Banned
I just read through all the reviews, not much negative about the online mode.

Every time I read a Nintendo review there's not much said about the online mode. Then I try it and it's fucking god awful dog shit tier. Why do people give Nintendo a pass on that.

Anyway I'm going to buy it now and see how it goes. I expect a great game with shitty online.

EDIT: oh it's not out yet.

Last edited:

BlackTron

It feels super weird that there launching it without all the games included, like you have to wait a couple months for golf.

Think I will wait a year to pick it up on the cheap with all the modes included.

Pretty much exactly this. I usually give Nintendo credit for shipping a completed game on a cart that doesn't require giant updates to become whole. This, on the other hand, is some weird Halo Infinite type shit.

ahtlas7

How good are the motion controls? Any depth to the bowling Or is it basically the same as 51 Clubhouse Games which lacked challenge. After I found the sweet spot I could bowl perfect game after perfect game. Also, Skyward Sword has some janky motion control.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Resort sold over 30 million copies. One in three who owned a Wii also owned Wii Sports Resort. It was a big game, and considering it was not as heavily packed-in as the original, it definitely was a hugely successful sequel.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
woohoooo my copy arrived :D going to install it now!

trVSI7J.jpg

edit: there is already a day 1 patch which i'm downloading.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
played a little. i don't have NSO so couldn't do pvp. i was only playing against CPU. it's a very basic but fun party game. the motion controls are a tiny bit awkward but i have only spent about 40 minutes with it lol so still learning. imo, this should've been made in 2017 and included with the Switch as standard just like the Wii had Wii Sports but still i think it'll sell quite a bit. can't wait to play more tomorrow when i have the time. super excited for golf too! :D some screenshots i took:

m3cVH8n.jpg

txNJ97K.jpg

SIFLFMs.jpg

oNPb5xD.jpg

iyesFXz.jpg

BmrnjhQ.jpg

oPRG5iF.jpg

uB73w7R.jpg

Calverz

Lol this is going to sell gangbusters though. The game is aimed at casuals and casuals don’t give a fuck about what some bearded gamespot/ign reviewer has to say about it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
imo, this should've been made in 2017 and included with the Switch as standard just like the Wii had Wii Sports but still i think it'll sell quite a bit.
Absolutely not.
What doomed the WiiU from the start was precisely that it didn’t differentiate itself from the Wii enough. Nearly identical name, nearly identical form factor, another NSMB game at launch. The core gamers scoffed; the casuals didn’t even understand the product.
Nintendo was very clever to keep this IP away until now, when a hundred million Switches have found their home and the game can finally appeal to casuals’ nostalgia without looking too iterative.

Bragr

Banned
For those who are playing this, how does Tennis stack up to the Wii version? are the motion controls ok?

TexMex

Lol this is going to sell gangbusters though. The game is aimed at casuals and casuals don’t give a fuck about what some bearded gamespot/ign reviewer has to say about it.

And yet again, never said it wouldn’t. In fact, specifically said it would sell millions, as basically every Nintendo release on Switch does.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Absolutely not.
What doomed the WiiU from the start was precisely that it didn’t differentiate itself from the Wii enough. Nearly identical name, nearly identical form factor, another NSMB game at launch. The core gamers scoffed; the casuals didn’t even understand the product.
Nintendo was very clever to keep this IP away until now, when a hundred million Switches have found their home and the game can finally appeal to casuals’ nostalgia without looking too iterative.
fair point. i get why they waited this long but still the switch set itself apart from Wii well enough. i don't think this game at launch would've negatively impacted the Switch success. if anything it might have boosted it because it used something that people loved about the Wii.

For those who are playing this, how does Tennis stack up to the Wii version? are the motion controls ok?
it's been years since i played it on wii so i can't remember exactly how it played. my impression playing tennis was it was very simple (one controller and maybe you could move about with the other analog stick) and it is also very forgiving. the timing isn't too difficult and you don't need to position yourself much. again i only played vs CPU. hopefully the more i play it and once i start playing online it will be more challenging. the most complex game so far for me is Volleyball. bowling is quite simple. i haven't played fencing, badminton, or football yet. the motion controls feel a bit awkward but i have only played ~40 mins.

Last edited:

Arthimura

In this game do the movement controls actually matter or are still like the Wii where after a while people would just sit and do the minimum amount of movement required to do the actions and only your aunt or little cousin would do exaggerated movements thinking the game was reading all the nuances of their movements?

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
In this game do the movement controls actually matters or are still like the Wii where after a while people would just sit and do the minimum amount of movement required to do the actions and only your aunt or little cousin would do exaggerated movements thinking the game was reading all the nuances of their movements?
the movements are very basic. up and down. maybe hold a button. most times you're only using one joycon.

from what i've played, and it's very little, you can use the other joycon analog stick to move about. an example, in bowling you use the stick to position yourself and then hold zr and swing to throw the ball. i think you can also move about in tennis but i don't know.

Last edited:

AMSCD

played a little. i don't have NSO so couldn't do pvp. i was only playing against CPU. it's a very basic but fun party game. the motion controls are a tiny bit awkward but i have only spent about 40 minutes with it lol so still learning. imo, this should've been made in 2017 and included with the Switch as standard just like the Wii had Wii Sports but still i think it'll sell quite a bit. can't wait to play more tomorrow when i have the time. super excited for golf too! :D some screenshots i took:

m3cVH8n.jpg

txNJ97K.jpg

SIFLFMs.jpg

oNPb5xD.jpg

iyesFXz.jpg

BmrnjhQ.jpg

oPRG5iF.jpg

uB73w7R.jpg
These are great graphics for the Switch.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
These are great graphics for the Switch.
yeah looks good... except those character models. they so ugly. getting intense uncanny valley vibes from them.

recursive

A 7 isn't bad, I mean I probably dated some sevens back in the day and they were just fine. More women have probably rated me a 7, but I am at least an 8 because of my charm and intellect.
Most women are 4 or 5. You are probably a gigachad settling for scraps.

John Bilbo

I had a decent time playing this with friends drinking beer. Bowling, tennis and sword fighting were the best in my opinion. I hope golf will not be too simplistic like for example volleyball is.

CS Lurker

Football and Volleyball are my favorites so far. Really liked both.

Football has some depth to master. I like volley's dynamic with doubles.

But both could be even better IMO, with some adjusts/changes and adds. It's incredible how it lacks options (gameplay, camera, etc), which has been a Nintendo thing forever now. They really have a problem with it. You need to play exactly the [only] way they want. It's really a shame.

Anyway, I'll have lots of fun with friends/family with these 2 sports. And it's seems that basketball and dodgeball could be coming.

PS: for me tennis is pretty bad (worse than wii sports), badminton is boring af (too simplistic - no depth at all), and bowling is just more of the same.

Chambara could be interesting, but for me it has the same problems as skyward sword. It was nice to try back then (wii), but I can't do it nowadays; 3DoF controls for some game mechanics is dead for me.

I would really love to see Nintendo coming with a 6DoF 'joy-con' in their next console.

Any depth to the bowling Or is it basically the same as 51 Clubhouse Games
For me it's just the same. Once you get that sweat spot, it's one strike after another.

Last edited:

Brofist

Soccer is definitely a surprise for me, might be the most fun game in there. Volleyball is the most boring so far. The others are in line with what I would expect. No baseball kind of sucks though.

Playing online is great. Bowling was fucking hilarious. My first game it was 16 people all going at it. I got like 171 at the end and the 2nd highest person was 46 lol.

Played a lot of tennis as well. Its simple but fun to time your shots.

Game is barebones but I'm enjoying something that feels fresh.

Hestar69

Playing online is great. Bowling was fucking hilarious. My first game it was 16 people all going at it. I got like 171 at the end and the 2nd highest person was 46 lol.

Played a lot of tennis as well. Its simple but fun to time your shots.

Game is barebones but I'm enjoying something that feels fresh.
I got the same for bowling I did 189 and next best was like 67..Maybe it was bots?

Anyone else when playing soccer their characters keep running even when your not doing anything or is my left joy con just trash?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Chambara could be interesting, but for me it has the same problems as skyward sword. It was nice to try back then (wii), but I can't do it nowadays; 3DoF controls for some game mechanics is dead for me.

I would really love to see Nintendo coming with a 6DoF 'joy-con' in their next console.

For me it's just the same. Once you get that sweat spot, it's one strike after another.

As someone who has a PS3 with PlayStation Move still hooked up anything less than 6DoF is unplayable now I feel like Nintendo should have taken a lot more heat for how outdated the joycons actually were even five years ago.

First bowling game online is definitely bots.
All single English name accounts. All single word descriptions.
Well dang, I thought I was just amazing lol. I'm still not 100% sure its bots honestly. No one was using the emotes, then I spammed it a bit when I was in 1st place and some other people did as well. But it's pretty hard to believe everyone sucked that badly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom