• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Sports Review Thread

Stitch

Gold Member
edit: no idea how to link to twitch clips. gaf seems to break the link..
broken tv

game is fun, but should've stayed in the oven longer so that they could've added more games like golf, boxing, baseball and stuff from resort too because right now it's fun but feels barebones. Also the new Mii customization sucks and I'm stuck with something that looks like a girl.

I guess they will use this as some kind of live service thing where they can add new games for a few bucks, but they will be free for online subscribers.

also soccer is basically rocket league... which isn't exactly a bad thing :3

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It works even if you use the controller inside a sock :messenger_grinning_squinting:
No I use my socks to catch all my load...
I mean
dave chapelle chapelle's show GIF

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
its fun enough.. it really needs a few more sports.

My requests:

Disc golf (please)
Pickle ball
Basketball
Corn hole

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa
Dear me. How could they have messed up Tennis??? It was perfect and fun on the Wii. Why messed with a good thing Nintendo? Now fix it!

Bridges

Game is fun. I especially like Volleyball and Tennis.

I'm a bit iffy on Soccer, it's a really slowed down 4v4 rocket league match, if the movement was a tad quicker I could see it being more enjoyable.

I'm hoping it doesn't take too long for them to add Baseball

jigglet

Banned
Three questions:

1) Is there a progression system?

2) Is loading snappy or is it slow as a dog like Ring Fit?

3) Are you constantly given tips like Ring Fit?

John Bilbo

Three questions:

1) Is there a progression system?

2) Is loading snappy or is it slow as a dog like Ring Fit?

3) Are you constantly given tips like Ring Fit?
1) When playing online you can unlock ranked mode and atleast in bowling in the higher ranks there are more and more difficult bowling alleys to conquer. Edit: There are also cosmetic unlockables in the online mode.

2) I think the loading screens are about five seconds long

3) If you stay idle for a bit, a visual prompt will appear on screen, but I don't think there are auditory cues that instruct the player about the mechanics

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
2) I think the loading screens are about five seconds long

Sweet Jesus. What is it with Nintendo. It seems the simpler the graphics the worse the loading.

Fuck it I’ll still get it but this shits me. Games like Ring Fit or Sports should be designed to pick up and play in short 10 minute bursts whenever you have a spare moment during the day for some quick exercise. This loading just kills my motivation to play.

Rykan

Look. Wii Sports was a fun tech demo in 2006 but that shit isn’t fun today and people are getting to this and realizing that their rose colored 15 year old Wii Sports memories are better off left as memories.
I think a lot of people seem to not realise that an entire new generation has started playing video games since then and this will be their first experience with wii sports or one of their first introduction to motion based gaming.

I've played it and it still serves that same function.

John Bilbo

Sweet Jesus. What is it with Nintendo. It seems the simpler the graphics the worse the loading.

Fuck it I’ll still get it but this shits me. Games like Ring Fit or Sports should be designed to pick up and play in short 10 minute bursts whenever you have a spare moment during the day for some quick exercise. This loading just kills my motivation to play.
Oh. I don't think five seconds is a long loading time. We have different standards. For me a long loading time is past 30 seconds.

I think this is the perfect pickup and play game. I tend to play this during drinking coffee. It is quite addicting though so the sessions can get from an hour to two hours.

Now you got me interested. I will clock the loading times next time I boot up the game.

Beware though if you think five seconds is a long time to wait: the online queues take a lot longer than that.

jigglet

Banned
Oh. I don't think five seconds is a long loading time. We have different standards. For me a long loading time is past 30 seconds.

I think this is the perfect pickup and play game. I tend to play this during drinking coffee. It is quite addicting though so the sessions can get from an hour to two hours.

Now you got me interested. I will clock the loading times next time I boot up the game.

Beware though if you think five seconds is a long time to wait: the online queues take a lot longer than that.

It depends on context.

If it's a long single player game, the occasional 30 seconds of loading is tolerable.

If it's a game designed to be played in short 10-20-30 min spurts whenever you have a free moment during the day (lifestyle, fitness, puzzle games etc), then IMO anything reaching the 5-10 second mark is too much.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The game is fun but of course the motion controls are utter shit. Bowling is so hard to get a consistent spin. The same motion gives me anything from a slight right spin to a gutter ball to the left. I find it odd that they have 3 variations of hit the ball thingy over the net and lets remind everyone how shitty the controls are in Skyward Sword as opposed to boxing and baseball. They probably had more planned but scaled it down due to covid and knocked a couple bucks off the price.

The Joycons just don't seem as accurate as the wii motion plus. You can really tell on chambara. The game is still fun but does not surpass wii sports resort.

• Thoughtful

MrMephistoX

This is so much fun! I absolutely love the online play too it's pretty lag free and makes it more fun to engage without having friends over...but if you have kids now this is a blast no need to have a party they are your constant competition: don't go easy on em!

jigglet

Banned
Ok so I just played my first game. I think loading is fine John Bilbo John Bilbo . I think Ring Fit just kind of scared me a little.

My only disappointment so far is no progression in single player (that I can see). Unlike many in this thread, I'm totally fine with it being Wii Sports HD with a few extra features. I really loved Wii Sports and never thought it needed that much more, but a simple XP system with a few challenges would have been great.

Otherwise so far I'm very happy.

John Bilbo

Ok so I just played my first game. I think loading is fine John Bilbo John Bilbo . I think Ring Fit just kind of scared me a little.

My only disappointment so far is no progression in single player (that I can see). Unlike many in this thread, I'm totally fine with it being Wii Sports HD with a few extra features. I really loved Wii Sports and never thought it needed that much more, but a simple XP system with a few challenges would have been great.

Otherwise so far I'm very happy.
Yeah it seems the single player mode is more of a practice mode for the multiplayer. It is kinda weird you cannot unlock anything in the singleplayer or even play against bots.

Tams

Gold Member
Eh, Nintendo sports games never were amazing games.

But they are just fun to mess around with, especially with others (and this is partnof the reason they aren't great games, they are deliberately stupidly simple to understand). And that's why it will still sell well.

The_hunter

Just played it, the sword fighting is my favourite so far, bowling is pretty good, the rest tend to be simple no movement games, like in wii sports, haven't tried soccer yet. Only negative is the unlock system and you have to have a switch online subscription to unlock cosmetics.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Further thoughts after playing all the sports:

I enjoy all of them. I was surprised you have full movement / control in soccer. Wow. Volley ball is surprisingly deep. But the standout to me is badminton. It’s different enough from tennis and very responsive.

I’m still pissed at how progression is tied to online. Why does Nintendo need to either ignore online completely or go all in. Can’t do both at the same time? FFS

AMSCD

You can't handle a 5 second delay?

jigglet

Banned
You can't handle a 5 second delay?

I answered this before:

“It depends on context.

If it's a long single player game, the occasional 30 seconds of loading is tolerable.

If it's a game designed to be played in short 10-20-30 min spurts whenever you have a free moment during the day (lifestyle, fitness, puzzle games etc), then IMO anything reaching the 5-10 second mark is too much.”

Besides, it turns out loading is about 2-3 seconds which is fine for me.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Anyone see volleyball becoming quite popular? It seems to be the deepest sport in terms of moveset. I can see this one becoming the next go-to for larger groups.

ultrazilla

This game is actively worse than wii sports and resort. WTF. Release some special Wii remote hardware and package it in.

Wii Sports is still awesome, it doesn't deserve this.

It's really sad to read this. I actually dusted off my Switch to possibly give it a spin but these impressions have left me not pulling the trigger.

CS Lurker

Man, I have so many wrong inputs in Chambara (and I can assure it's not my controllers). It's ridiculous. I legitimately think this issue has to be on the software side. Even being a 3DoF solution, it can't be so bad like this. And to be honest the problem doesn't exclusively happen with Chambara only. It happens with other games too. You clearly do a horizontal movement and it registers as a vertical one. That's really a shame.

Tams

Gold Member

I can't talk for Switch Sports, but Ring Fit Adventure literally has several modes that you can access from the main menu that get you straight into exercising. And they're short 2-5 minute exercises. There's even a mode where you can passively do light exercise with the Ring Con, FFS.

Have you even played the game?!

jigglet

Banned
I can't talk for Switch Sports, but Ring Fit Adventure literally has several modes that you can access from the main menu that get you straight into exercising. And they're short 2-5 minute exercises. There's even a mode where you can passively do light exercise with the Ring Con, FFS.

Have you even played the game?!

Yes I’m up to level 120. I’m talking about adventure mode. When I have a spare moment I want to just quickly do a node or two. Next time count the number of button presses it takes to even get IN the very first game. Also time how long it takes. It’s simply absurd.

Granted I take your point - all those features came well after launch though but they are very appreciated. That being said I want to progress the main mode.

It’s still my game is the generation so far but man it suffers bad from Nintendo’s bullshit.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

You can unlock queueing to several sports at once if you try playing atleast three different sports online. Also a random queue button opens at the same time.

Tams

Gold Member
Yes I’m up to level 120. I’m talking about adventure mode. When I have a spare moment I want to just quickly do a node or two. Next time count the number of button presses it takes to even get IN the very first game. Also time how long it takes. It’s simply absurd.

Granted I take your point - all those features came well after launch though but they are very appreciated. That being said I want to progress the main mode.

It’s still my game is the generation so far but man it suffers bad from Nintendo’s bullshit.
I mean, the adventure mode isn't designed to be played like that. There's a reason that it pushes warming up in it.

Bridges

Anyone see volleyball becoming quite popular? It seems to be the deepest sport in terms of moveset. I can see this one becoming the next go-to for larger groups.
I usually queue up for Volleyball, Tennis and a rotating third, but 80-90% of my matches are volleyball. It's definitely one of the most popular games from what I can tell (though if I have bowling in rotation that seems to take the throne).

Also probably the most fun of the games in general.

CS Lurker

Volleyball should have an option where your character only moves sideways if you do the input. I hate the game moving my character for me even if I was already moving it first.

Further thoughts after playing all the sports:

I enjoy all of them. I was surprised you have full movement / control in soccer. Wow. Volley ball is surprisingly deep. But the standout to me is badminton. It’s different enough from tennis and very responsive.

I’m still pissed at how progression is tied to online. Why does Nintendo need to either ignore online completely or go all in. Can’t do both at the same time? FFS
No progression in single player, what about local multiplayer? I don't want to play this with randos. I want this but held off. My gf still has a wii and wii sports /wii fit hooked up. I can play those. Not as precise as sports champions on ps3 (i miss my move sticks. I accidentally left them with x wife, 2 years ago).

Is there any leveling or tougher matches in single player? Or is it all just play against a bot and done?

jigglet

Banned
No progression in single player, what about local multiplayer? I don't want to play this with randos. I want this but held off. My gf still has a wii and wii sports /wii fit hooked up. I can play those. Not as precise as sports champions on ps3 (i miss my move sticks. I accidentally left them with x wife, 2 years ago).

Is there any leveling or tougher matches in single player? Or is it all just play against a bot and done?
Haven’t played much more but not from what I can see. I was hoping for ring fit style progression or even just a simple XP system with costume unlockables. It’s by far the biggest disappointment for me. As I said why is Nintendo always “fuck online” or “let’s embrace the shit out of it”. Ffs they are big enough to do both. Really shits me.

I still love the shit out of it though. So don’t let me dissuade you. It’s great.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
finally got around to buying an online sub so i can play online. bowling, tennis, and football are my favourites. the sword game i don't know wtf i'm doing. tried doing the tutorial but it's not clicking for me.

for football i tried using the leg strap but i don't know what i'm doing wrong. i need to use the zr button to pass or ask for a pass. not that easy to do if the joycon is strapped to my leg. plus the little pouch won't stretch enough to let me put the whole controller in. maybe i'm just an idiot :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Tams

Gold Member
finally got around to buying an online sub so i can play online. bowling, tennis, and football are my favourites. the sword game i don't know wtf i'm doing. tried doing the tutorial but it's not clicking for me.

for football i tried using the leg strap but i don't know what i'm doing wrong. i need to use the zr button to pass or ask for a pass. not that easy to do if the joycon is strapped to my leg. plus the little pouch won't stretch enough to let me put the whole controller in. maybe i'm just an idiot :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Ummm, the joystick isn't meant to stick out of the top...

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
my + joycon doesn't fit right into the little pouch like this... the analog stick stops it going in and the band doesn't stretch enough to get it in.
iu
Haha, sorry, typo. Isn't. Well, for the left Joycon at least.

Sounds like you're just tightening it too much. Try putting the Joycon in first or while the case is still loose, then tighten it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Haha, sorry, typo. Isn't. Well, for the left Joycon at least.

Sounds like you're just tightening it too much. Try putting the Joycon in first or while the case is still loose, then tighten it.
tried putting it in before strapping to my leg. no luck. it's far too tight and i feel like it's going to damage my analog stick.

Top Bottom