• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Switch still halfway through lifecycle, Switch 2 barely in planning phase

Marty-McFly

Banned
I still don't think this means no 4k DLSS model, but major info dump from their meeting.

unknown.png

Next, Furukawa's comments in the Q&A. The transcript isn't here yet so those are the report of David Gibson, present there during the event.

Nintendo considers the Switch to be in the middle of its life at the moment, and that it is too early to say anything about the future. They are counting on OLED to keep momentum.

They do give an update on the status of next gen and confirm it is currently in concept discussion, seemingly still early in development, and that they have not decided on a final product as well as a release timing. It looks like we won't hear about the device for several more years.

Nintendo has also detailed its 2022 strategy for the Nintendo Switch. It will focus essentially on the OLED. They are aiming at a sixth year of growth, which would be unprecedented, thanks to OLED and a strong lineup of games next year. Their strategy for next year's growth sits entirely on their ability to release a wide range of software, diversify the library of the console and entice people to buy an OLED.

unknown.png

unknown.png

To play the Devil's Advocate here, Nintendo would never tell you the new system's coming out until it's only a season away from launch. They sure as heck are not going to tell anyone when they plan to discontinue support for their "last gen" platform, and will often outright lie. (Remember the "third pillar" talk for continued GBA support while the DS was out? Yeah, that lasted like, what, 6 months?)

Not that I think they're planning anything now anyway, but nevertheless...

Marty-McFly

Banned
To play the Devil's Advocate here, Nintendo would never tell you the new system's coming out until it's only a season away from launch. They sure as heck are not going to tell anyone when they plan to discontinue support for their "last gen" platform, and will often outright lie. (Remember the "third pillar" talk for continued GBA support while the DS was out? Yeah, that lasted like, what, 6 months?)

I mean, they have no reason to release a new console. They are smashing sales records without a price drop still projected 24 million this fiscal year despite shortages.

Software is smashing internal records as well.

Last edited:

Barakov

It's still sellng like hotcakes right now so there's no reason for nintendo to leave all that money on the table.

Also there's this :

When we hear about it from nintendo is when we know it's coming pretty soon. I expect leaks before then though.

mejin

Nintendo will backstab everyone like always, but people like it. What's not to like.

Given their record I totally believe it. Get ready for 157 hardware revisions. Oh and the thing will die 5 years after the release of its successor at the earliest.

Kacho

Gold Member
I find that hard to believe give how outdated the tech is but if it’s still selling like crazy there’s no reason to rush out the successor.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I find that hard to believe give how outdated the tech is but if it’s still selling like crazy there’s no reason to rush out the successor.
What does the tech matter?

Next gen has started and it's getting more third party support even though its tech is falling further behind because a bigger install base is more money.

Switch will start getting everything except some of the yearly AAA Western GaaS games.

Also, to give due credit, as soon as they consolidated their portable and home console division they sell enough first party games to completely sustain their flourishing business with or without third party.

Last edited:

FStubbs

Next gen has started and it's getting more third party support even though its tech is falling further behind because a bigger install base is more money.

Switch will start getting everything except some of the yearly AAA Western GaaS games.

Also, to give due credit, as soon as they consolidated their portable and home console division they sell enough first party games to completely sustain their flourishing business with or without third party.
The chip shortage causing cross gen to last longer also means more AA/AAA games can be on Switch. But yeah, the AAAA/GaaS games won't be on Switch.

MrA

Banned

nintendo kept producing games for the gba with the last western nintendo developed fist party game (drill dozer) as a 2006 release
gbas systems were produced until 2008
so no not 6 months

Astral Dog

With the current shortage of components and COVID pandemic its no wonder Switch 2 will take longer to arrive and honestly, thats for the best,business wise Nintendo doesn't gain anything by rushing out a new console like they did with the Wii U, it needs to make a big impact when its revealed, not just oh is that a new Switch oled?'. developing and releasing games takes takes much longer than it used to in the Wii generation

but i was expecting to hear something next year or so, like BotW2 cross gen soon. 🤔 im no rush either way, and Switch is enjoying healthy sales, but it will be very intriguing to see the next big Zelda not coming with a new shiny system, i still think they will have something 🤭

1. They could be straight up lying like they have done with 3ds models.

2. Halfway through life cycle could mean that they will continue to sell the original switch in some form even after the switch 2 is released. See Sony’s 10 year strategy for their consoles as an example.

I think we get switch 2 no later than 2023.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Remember when we thought the Switch 2/Pro was coming in 2020/21?

We really know fuck all.

I feel that Nintendo would have been willing to introduce a refresh if it wasn't for the fact that there is massive chip scarcity and nobody can deliver SoC's at the prices Nintendo will see the profits they expect.

Last edited:
nintendo kept producing games for the gba with the last western nintendo developed fist party game (drill dozer) as a 2006 release
gbas systems were produced until 2008
so no not 6 months
That's like saying that "they made SNES games after the N64 came out" because a single Kirby game got released in 1997. Not exactly comparable to resources spent on development before the new system came out.

ethomaz

Banned
Imagine how the “Insiders” and “Rumors” feels now.

Me? I said here not once that there is no actual chip in nVidia portfolio to a Switch 2 or Pro.

I doubt Nintendo will ever ask nVidia to create a chip specific for them due nVidia $$$tax$$$.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Some people dont like that it does not have the most modern tech, however I dont think its too important. If people really want better visuals there are plenty of options and as a handheld its still very good in its own right, you aint getting games like BOTW and mario odyssey to on apple/android products.
You can play xbox one quality at higher framerates on steam deck, but even then the handheld experiences on the switch still feel modern and competitive.
Playing games like Luigi's mansion 3 on a handheld still feels crazy to me.
I dont know, its something about handhelds, this little device that has a rather potent X1 chip and 4gb of ram jjst makes it seem more powerful then it actually it is.
Ratchet and clank has loads better visuals then Luigi's mansion 3 but it does not really matter to me.

With that said some higher resolution for tv play model would be a nice QoL improvement. It would not even have to be that more powerful, they could add like 30% more flops and add a lot of the ML cores turing and beyond use which could DLSS switch games to like 1440p-2160p

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not surprising.

What is surprising to me is that so many people expected Nintendo to announce a Switch 2. Nintendo captured lightning in a bottle again and they definitely don't want to repeat the market failure of the Wii U. The rush for a new system is unwarranted.

Just get a XBX or a PS5 if you want better graphics and all that.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not at all for me. As long as Nintendo can keep cranking out games that look and play as good as Dread and I get third party games like Mon Hun Rise and the GTA Remakes then I don't need a new Switch.

They want that #1 of all time sales record I think. They'll get it too.
My thoughts too and I don't even play the Switch. The library is effing massive. Just seems weird that some people are so hungry for better visuals. I think the games look fine and if you have a massive software library, who gives a shit about games looking slightly better? That's just me though.

Fine with me really. The system is selling. Chips aren't widely available anyway, so it would just be a bitter shitshow for everyone involved if they did release it. They're going to focus on just releasing lots of diverse, high quality games. That sounds .... kind of amazing? Splatoon 3 is enough to keep me playing daily for 2 years.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

You'll never see them coming with the new platform. Sooner than expected.
If it's all backwards compatible (which with the success of their form factor they would be really stupid to not do it, but who knows), who cares? We are well past the point where graphics are going to be THE defining factor to the general public, and I think the success of Switch shows that. Make a fully BC update with more performance when you can keep the same price point, and hopefully at the minimum the same battery life, if not more.

I mean look at Forza Horizon 5. Yes, WE can see the graphical differences, but the general public will see the XSX version alongside the Xbox One version and think "these are exactly the same game." That's why graphics "don't matter" at this point, and focusing on fun and accessibility (the Switch is genius in this regard) is what will put asses in the seats.

So if you're right, as long as they do it right ... bring it on.

FingerBang

What a cool game they're playing. Keep buying the Switch, people, it's still the mid of the lifecycle! Switch 2 won't happen for a few years! We're still designing it.

Oh, this thing here we're going to launch in 2022? This more powerful Switch? No no, this is not a Switch 2, this is the New Switch XL!

Dr Bass

Fine with me really. The system is selling. Chips aren't widely available anyway, so it would just be a bitter shitshow for everyone involved if they did release it. They're going to focus on just releasing lots of diverse, high quality games. That sounds .... kind of amazing? Splatoon 3 is enough to keep me playing daily for 2 years.
I like you sir ... or ma'am.

UnNamed

Banned
Switch in its mid cicle means nothing. If they replace Switch with a Super Switch and use the original Switch as a entry level for kids, technically Switch could be in its mid cicle and still have its successor in few years.

Kacho

Gold Member

Tech always matters. I’ve reached a point where the performance on Switch is no longer acceptable because I have a Series X. Faster loading, higher res, 60fps on a ton of games. I just can’t go back now.

Last edited:
Switch in its mid cicle means nothing. If they replace Switch with a Super Switch and use the original Switch as a entry level for kids, technically Switch could be in its mid cicle and still have its successor in few years.
That is true. It doesn't mean it's 4 years away, but maybe 2. I've been saying 2024 for a while anyway, so it's not that different.

Marty-McFly

Banned
They can keep the momentum going for another 3 years easily.

Zelda Breath of the Wild 2
Mario Odyssey 2
Metorid Prime 4
Mario Soccer
Bayonetta 3
New 2D Mario
Donkey Kong
Splatoon 3
Mario Kart 9
Switch Sports
Switch Fit
Nintendogs