• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Switch still halfway through lifecycle, Switch 2 barely in planning phase

Robb

Gold Member
We’ll see, I’m personally hoping a successor is out sooner than 2025 since Switch is showing its age.

I imagine that even if they release a successor they’ll continue producing the Switch, so one doesn’t exclude the other.

Marty-McFly

Banned
We’ll see, I’m personally hoping a successor is out sooner than 2025 since Switch is showing its age.

I imagine that even if they release a successor they’ll continue producing the Switch, so one doesn’t exclude the other.
Switch 4K pro type DLSS situation seems much more likely.

It seems they want new ideas and innovation for Switch 2 (though I expect it to stay close to its roots) and not just better graphics.

This basically confirms a 4K switch in the next year. They are not waiting another 4-5 years until a hardware release. And the 11 developers that got 4K dev kits didn’t get one for a next gen system that’s 4 years away. Developers get 1-2 years max on a dev kit ahead of a system release.

4k switch next year with breath of the wild 2. It’s a no brainer.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
If Nintendo puts Gamecube games onto the Switch as well it's probably going to tie for my favorite console of all time. I've said this a dozen times and I'll say it again, the library of games available for Switch is impressive and it continues to grow. I'm glad that there are still several good years ahead. I've only played like fifteen to twenty actual Switch games, the rest has been me catching up with classics and other games I've missed from the past. There are so many good games available for Switch and if they're going to put forward $900 million towards more games then there's probably going to be another solid 30-45 AAA games to look forward to
Thing is the Switch can't handle Gamecube emulation very well. In order to make the games run they have to either port the games or implement a Mario 3D-Allstars-like solution and that takes extra resources. It's sadly not as easy as opening a rom file with an emulator and doing a few adjustments.

Ryu Kaiba

This just means a massive library for the console, which will be great in the future for 4k60fps/Steam deck emulation purposes. I support them (with money) continuing to support the switch.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

bgTe5JX.png

Needs to come sooner rather than later.

Marty-McFly

Banned
At the current pace it will outsell PS2 in 2 years but it looks like this means it will be around for another 4 + years.

Rat Rage

They do give an update on the status of next gen and confirm it is currently in concept discussion, seemingly still early in development, and that they have not decided on a final product as well as a release timing. It looks like we won't hear about the device for several more years.

1n0XqoZ.gif

PaintTinJr

From that info it is hard to even speculate with any sense of accuracy of what their future plans are - assuming they aren't just going to ride out this switch success for a few more years.

One way to interpret the info might be that they are going to return to releasing an additional home consoles too - leaving the Switch as the portable with hybrid mode in the market - so a home console isn't a successor to the a portable, and with hardware solutions like the XsS being available at reasonable cost Nintendo might fancy their chances to displace Xbox from home console market with their Switch legion buyers if they pitched a home console with BotW2 and a new mario kart as its opening launch games.

After recently watching the High Score documentary on Netflix, I now have to wonder if Nintendo would maybe try a hardware hack solution for DLSS - to the Switch dock - like they did with the Super fx chips in the star fox cartridges that effectively added 3D vector graphics as an option for the SNES games. A new Switch dock with Tensor Cores for DLSS that would process the console's low res (usb-c displayport) output and DLSS it to something much better - before sending out to the dock's hdmi port - could also be an option. It would potentially give them a new means to relaunch the Switch hardware, with virtually no difference to the hardware other than the new more expensive dock.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Saying Switch is halfway through its lifecycle doesn’t mean a Pro, Switch 2 or an entirely new platform isn’t around the corner (2023). Both can be true.
Wha? Nintendo is not going to split their supply chain with chip shortages by supporting different consoles.

Pure insanity.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

This basically confirms a 4K switch in the next year. They are not waiting another 4-5 years until a hardware release. And the 11 developers that got 4K dev kits didn’t get one for a next gen system that’s 4 years away. Developers get 1-2 years max on a dev kit ahead of a system release.

4k switch next year with breath of the wild 2. It’s a no brainer.

We most definitely are getting a "New 3DS" Switch. I bet Nvidia can't wait to show off DLSS running on a console. Their tech will have officially gone mainstream.

Marty-McFly

Banned
We most definitely are getting a "New 3DS" Switch. I bet Nvidia can't wait to show off DLSS running on a console. Their tech will have officially gone mainstream.
Both Nvidia and Nintendo mutually benefit from the 4k DLSS, though it looks like by Nintendo's patent, they want to use their own algorithms.

Kumomeme

well Switch just 4 years old. not even at end of its cycle. the 'pressure' of new version today probably due to how advance mobile hardware progressed with others mobile gaming device launched like Steamdeck and tons of others smartphones but knowing Nintendo, they seems didnt affected by it much thanks to their strong library.

usually atleast every 5-6 years we will get new generation of console. so safe expectation we will see something by 2023/2024.
itseems Nintendo would not jumping into 'pro' version bandwagon of console like Sony and MS did with PS4 Pro and X1X. instead they just gonna launch next generation Switch than a revision.

hopefully by that time there is no chip shortage and there is better mobile SoC technology with better A.I upscalling technique. but, knowing Nintendo it is better to not keep expectation high about the device especially wanting latest generation of hardware.

Not suprise if new Switch launch 2023 but specs is around this year 2021's Steamdeck lol.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Wha? Nintendo is not going to split their supply chain with chip shortages by supporting different consoles.

Pure insanity.
Of course they will. Every console generation ever has had a few years of crossover with its successor. Just look at how far into the Switch's pproduction Nintendo stopped making 3DSs, or Wiis into the Wii U gen. Not to mention, the consoles will be on two different process nodes, and by 2023 or later the shortage should be ironed out

What's crazy is expecting them to run the Switch for 8 years solid, then suddenly drop it and start up with its successor. That's not how it works.

They could wait until 2025 to start that process of course, especially if they do have a Pro Console lined up for 2023. The point is, just because they're planning to keep the Switch going another 4+ years doesn't mean they have to wait that long to launch a Switch 2.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Of course they will. Every console generation ever has had a few years of crossover with its successor. Just look at how far into the Switch's pproduction Nintendo stopped making 3DSs, or Wiis into the Wii U gen. Not to mention, the consoles will be on two different process nodes, and by 2023 or later the shortage should be ironed out

What's crazy is expecting them to run the Switch for 8 years solid, then suddenly drop it and start up with its successor. That's not how it works.

They could wait until 2025 to start that process of course, especially if they do have a Pro Console lined up for 2023. The point is, just because they're planning to keep the Switch going another 4+ years doesn't mean they have to wait that long to launch a Switch 2.
Why would they launch Switch 2 when they can't even keep Switch 1 on the shelves? Wii was not long for this world when Wii U dropped. Just like Wii U died off quickly after (before) Switch.

Zannegan

Why would they launch Switch 2 when they can't even keep Switch 1 on the shelves? Wii was not long for this world when Wii U dropped. Just like Wii U died off quickly after (before) Switch.
Because, at some point, they will be able to keep the Switch on shelves. Point of fact, they have plenty of Switches on shelves now. The switch is selling great, no doubt, but in 2 years, who can say? The current question is, will the OLED drive demand up enough that they can stave off next gen another 3-4 years? Will a pro model? Price drops and bundles can only do so much to restart momentum (and when they do, you get lower margins per device sold anyway).

Taping out a design, locking in parts/suppliers, actually amassing enough stock to have a decent launch, and shipping it around the world takes months at a minimum. When Switch 1 numbers eventually dip, and depending on how sharply they drop, they'll want to have the next thing ready to go within a year.

Regardless, every well-handled transition has a few years of overlap. The sales lulls in the Wii -> Wii U transition and, worse, the Wii U -> Switch transition cost Nintendo a bundle. During one if them they lost their profitability streak for the first time in decades. They do NOT want a repeat of either of those two situations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom