• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch was Europe's No.1 console in March | European Monthly Charts (Xbox Series No.2, PS5 No. 3)

onesvenus

Across Europe, video game sales jumped in March, driven by continued strong sales for Elden Ring, plus a number of big releases.

Stock shortages continue to hold back Xbox and PlayStation, but it was a strong month for Nintendo Switch, with sales up year-on-year.

Over 14.2 million games were sold across Europe in March, a rise of over 34% compared with March last year.

A drop of 40% PlayStation consoles over the same period last year is huge.

This marks the second month Xbox has sold more consoles than PS in Europe. It's obviously due to stock shortages with PlayStation but it's interesting nonetheless

Last edited:

reksveks

Summary
- Consoles up 14% on Feb, down 39% YTD (332k total)
- Switch up 9% YOY, Still #1 YTD
- Month order Switch, Xbox, PS

- 14.4m games sold up 34% YOY
- 69% Digital in March
- GTA V split: 35% on PS5, 19% on Xbox Series, 22% on PS4, 10% on XB1, 14% PC
- GT7 Split: 64% PS5, 36% PS4
- GT7 PS5 sku #1, Elden Ring PC sku #2

- Accessories basically flat yearly and monthly

Last edited:

SEGA_2012

Congratulations to XB.

PS: i edited my post because sounded like i was making fun of Sony but it was not my intention, better edit it to not create any unnecessary argument.

Last edited:
Surprised to see PS5 with such dismal numbers. The Switch still selling so well suggests the Xbox figures for the UK were due more to demand than many thought.

This gen should be interesting. Especially if things stay this way in Europe for awhile. That's one of Playstation's strongest markets, and Xbox's weakest.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And NeoGAF logic dictates that naturally money would accidentally fall out of European pockets and accidentally create Switch purchases. Because nobody wants those any more. :p
Sales list warrior: "Xbox did great in UK sales only because nobody wants a Switch anymore"

Gameindustry says Switch dominating Europe with March 2022 sales growing year over year.

Sales list warrior: (Shit, I didn't think they would also release Europe results showing Switch is actually doing great at #1. Should I make up another reason? Or just not say anything hoping nobody notices? How can I spin it so only UK Switch sales stink but everywhere else it's doing great?)

Last edited:

leo-j

Surprised to see PS5 with such dismal numbers. The Switch still selling so well suggests the Xbox figures for the UK were due more to demand than many thought.

This gen should be interesting. Especially if things stay this way in Europe for awhile. That's one of Playstation's strongest markets, and Xbox's weakest.
You can’t buy a ps5 . You can buy a switch or Xbox series console though. That and sales are down significantly overall YoY. Sony will do crazy numbers in the summer and onward. It’s in their fiscal forecast.

SkylineRKR

PS5 is just very hard to get. I've never seen it in stock anywhere yet, live. And its spring 2022 now. Series S has been in stock since launch. Even Series X pops up.

Last edited:

onesvenus

You can’t buy a ps5 . You can buy a switch or Xbox series console though. That and sales are down significantly overall YoY. Sony will do crazy numbers in the summer and onward. It’s in their fiscal forecast.
Isn't the yearly forecast due in May? Let's wait until then to see if they keep their forecasted numbers

reksveks

The wording was the following

uZKdfhp.png

aka they don't want to change the targets cause lowering the goal would be taking the easy way out (okay????), they think supply issues will continue into fy22, they might revise the forecast when they announce the fy21 results.

jigglet

Banned
Cool. Great console. I barely even play mine yet I'm oddly drawn to the OLED model, which I also know I'd barely play. Damn consumerism.

Rubytux

Neo Member
I got the Switch Lite for Pokemon Go and the Meltan Boxes with Lets Go Eevee. However, i barely played it and i sold it.

I am waiting for an updated Switch, more future proofed, but with this amazing sales, i think it will take a little bit more for Nintendo to launch a sucessor.

The wording was the following

uZKdfhp.png

aka they don't want to change the targets cause lowering the goal would be taking the easy way out (okay????), they think supply issues will continue into fy22, they might revise the forecast when they announce the fy21 results.
God reading this was depressing.
I expected them to actually make more units but...this doesn't sound good

mckmas8808

Banned

You sure?

ethomaz

Banned
GT7 TOP markets outside US.

And the places it sold more than Elden Ring (combined all versions).

Last edited:

Arthimura

Hard to say if PS going #3 is a matter of stocks shortage or higher demand for Xbox. Microsoft has been doing a good work with XBox for years now, they made good studio purchases, have eight studios already developing games on UE5 and they made pro-consumers choices related to retro and Gamepass.

But clearly there's a discrepancy between most sold games and most sold consoles. Switch is #1, but only 2 of the top 10 games are available on Switch, showing there's higher demand for PS and Xbox games, with GT7 even ranking #2.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Phill 'I am your friend' Spencer has been working so hard to make Xbox appealing again. Nice they are getting rewarded and putting pressure to Jim 'virtuous cycle' Ryan.

Fredrik

Yeap if I have to complain about the game now is that the economy gives too much money lol
But I will never complain about that :D

You become millionaire with minutes now.
Haven’t played it in awhile. What have they changed in the last update regarding the economics?

ethomaz

Banned
Haven’t played it in awhile. What have they changed in the last update regarding the economics?
Fixed Circuit Experience reward... it was giving nothing before... now it is proper giving reward if you finish it.
All events in GTS or GT7 give credits by how much you raced based on difficult... that is true to any part of any event (you can enter the events and left after 5 seconds that will get credits)... that was fine in GT7 for Circuit Experience but the reward when you finish all sections in Circuit Experience was bugged and now it is giving the actual rewards that goes from 800k to 1.2m for Gold.

If you already finished any or all of them you just need to enter the screen to get the backward rewards... it is near 50 million credits if you finished all with Gold.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Fixed Circuit Experience reward... it was giving noting before... now it is proper giving reward if you finish it.
All events in GTS or GT7 give credits by how much you raced based on difficult... that is true to any part of any event (you can enter the events and left after 5 seconds that will get credits)... that was fine in GT7 for Circuit Experience but the reward when you finish all sections in Circuit Experience was bugged and now it is giving the actual rewards that goes from 800k to 1.2m for Gold.

If you already finished any or all of them you just need to enter the screen to get the backward rewards... it is near 50 million credits if you finished all with Gold.
Cool! Time to jump in again 👍

Lognor

Banned
Because they want to kill twice as much.
Not necessarily. They would have the same type of supply issues that Sony and Microsoft are facing now. Nintendo can easily supply enough switch consoles now. They wouldn't be able to do so with a switch 2. And I've been reading that we will see supply constraints until at least the first half of next year. Nintendo should be in no hurry.

MrA

Banned
Hard to say if PS going #3 is a matter of stocks shortage or higher demand for Xbox. Microsoft has been doing a good work with XBox for years now, they made good studio purchases, have eight studios already developing games on UE5 and they made pro-consumers choices related to retro and Gamepass.

But clearly there's a discrepancy between most sold games and most sold consoles. Switch is #1, but only 2 of the top 10 games are available on Switch, showing there's higher demand for PS and Xbox games, with GT7 even ranking #2.
3 of the top 10 are on switch, 2 exclusively and the top 20 has another 5 switch exclusives plus no digital from Nintendo, not as big of a share as the others, but not insubstantial,
As far as xsx vs ps5, ps5 definitely has higher demand in Europe, but if ms can exploit the ps5 shortages they can definitely gain some ground against sony

Arthimura

3 of the top 10 are on switch, 2 exclusively and the top 20 has another 5 switch exclusives plus no digital from Nintendo, not as big of a share as the others, but not insubstantial,
As far as xsx vs ps5, ps5 definitely has higher demand in Europe, but if ms can exploit the ps5 shortages they can definitely gain some ground against sony
Well, FIFA 2022 for Nintendo Switch it's a Legacy Edition, without the gameplay and graphical updates. But ok.

Last edited:
Top Bottom