• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch was Europe's No.1 console in March | European Monthly Charts (Xbox Series No.2, PS5 No. 3)

Boss Mog

Surprised to see PS5 with such dismal numbers. The Switch still selling so well suggests the Xbox figures for the UK were due more to demand than many thought.

This gen should be interesting. Especially if things stay this way in Europe for awhile. That's one of Playstation's strongest markets, and Xbox's weakest.
Is this a joke post? Whatever the number of PS5s that were sold was the number of PS5s that were available. That's 100% of the systems shipped being sold, meanwhile Switch and Series S are stacked to the ceiling in every store you visit. Even Series X is starting to become avaliable on retail shelves; this however is not the case with PS5.

Ozriel

M$FT
Is this a joke post? Whatever the number of PS5s that were sold was the number of PS5s that were available. That's 100% of the systems shipped being sold, meanwhile Switch and Series S are stacked to the ceiling in every store you visit. Even Series X is starting to become avaliable on retail shelves; this however is not the case with PS5.

Your response has nothing to do with what he said. Do you want to calm down and re-read what he posted?

Marvel14

Banned
The upper limit for a Switch 2 release is 2024. And the next gen Switch will definitely play Switch games, so it’s a fair strategy to want to wait a year or two to get a higher specced console that will play the same games you cite, and be forward compatible for the next 7 years.

A next gen switch with have more powerful visuals and better load speeds. Likely better display too. It’s perfectly fine to wait.

1. That's possibly two years away...and uncertain. Backwards compatibility is not guaranteed at launch. Why insert uncertainty and restrict your ability to play great games for 2 years or longer?

2. Some people have been holding off for years already. According to you when does " too long to wait" start?

3. People are free to do what they like. It's not a question of fine or not fine. It's about deprivation, uncertainty and waiting. With an unclear upside. Your upside is " the graphics whore" position which I accounted for in my original post. I conclude that there is no other upside then?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
1. That's possibly two years away...and uncertain. Backwards compatibility is not guaranteed at launch. Why insert uncertainty and restrict your ability to play great games for 2 years or longer?

2. Some people have been holding off for years already. According to you when does " too long to wait" start?

3. People are free to do what they like. It's not a question of fine or not fine. It's about deprivation, uncertainty and waiting. With an unclear upside. Your upside is " the graphics whore" position which I accounted for in my original post. I conclude that there is no other upside then?

This weird response is what happens when you don't read to understand, but read with the mindset of sticking to a preconceived notion.

I said it's a fair strategy for someone who was intending to buy a Switch to decide to wait for the next gen release. How does tnay translate to me encouraging people to wait indefinitely? How does stating that waiting for a next gen release would give you the same games and still leave you with more powerful hardware become a 'graphics whore' position?

Are folks who are waiting to buy the PS5 instead of a PS4 'graphics whores' too?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

It gets to the point though, that you can't really point the finger at anyone but Sony. If every other company is getting stock on shelves and Sony isn't, what's the cause of it?

Boss Mog

It gets to the point though, that you can't really point the finger at anyone but Sony. If every other company is getting stock on shelves and Sony isn't, what's the cause of it?
Well I know that Sony has been selling a lot of systems directly to PSN members to try to bypass scalpers. I wonder if the retail sale numbers actually include those consoles or not.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
This weird response is what happens when you don't read to understand, but read with the mindset of sticking to a preconceived notion.

I said it's a fair strategy for someone who was intending to buy a Switch to decide to wait for the next gen release. How does tnay translate to me encouraging people to wait indefinitely? How does stating that waiting for a next gen release would give you the same games and still leave you with more powerful hardware become a 'graphics whore' position?

Are folks who are waiting to buy the PS5 instead of a PS4 'graphics whores' too?

You need a mirror my dude...you're the one not engaging with the substance of my post. Uncertainty of both launch date and backwards compatibility and depriving yourself of game experiences for an extended period were the downsides you did not engage with ( weird, I know). I also asked for an upside besides the "games will look and play better", or at least an argument for why this upside outweighs the downsides if you're not a stickler for graphics and performance...

And by the way...the PS5 is out now though in short supply....we don't know when the Switch successor will arrive. Not exactly equivalent scenarios but you do you I guess.

reksveks

Have the April numbers but will post once the article is out.

Summary:
- declines in everything (consoles 15%, software even more)
- NSW, ps5, xbox is the unit order (no yoy comparisons)

Last edited:
Top Bottom