• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch was the best-selling games console during UK Black Friday

Godot25

Banned
The hybrid machine accounted for 42% of all console's sold during the week. This is due to the return of last year's Black Friday Switch bundle, which included a Switch Neon machine, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe and three months of Nintendo Switch Online.

However, it's actually a far weaker performance than last Black Friday for Nintendo. The company faced strong competition this year, led by an aggressive offer by Xbox. Microsoft reduced its Xbox Series S machine to under £200 during Black Friday, and the platform accounted for 40% of all consoles sold during the week. PS5, which did receive some small discounts of its digital-only edition, accounted for 18% of sales.

"Console hardware volumes over Black Friday week are similar to last year and Switch was again No.1," said GfK boss Dorian Bloch. "However, overall Switch volumes are way down over Black Friday 2021, as both Sony and Microsoft also targeted Black Friday week with tempting offers."

"Controllers remained the No.2 gaming accessory," Bloch said. "This was driven in particular by Microsoft's controller deals and strong hardware sales for all three consoles, which drove controller take-up. It was the best controller week since Black Friday 2019."

reksveks

Overall, including physical games, accessories and consoles, Black Friday 2022 was slightly bigger than it was last year (up 4%). It is the eighth biggest Black Friday, out of the ten that have taken place in the UK so far.

The weakest Black Friday was back in 2020, which was subdued following the launches of PS5 and Xbox Series X and S just two weeks before.

"Black Friday 2013 week remains the biggest and coincided with the PS4 launch," Bloch added.

"Outside of Black Friday weeks, the biggest all-time week on record is back in 2020, which was the PS5 launch and the second week of the Xbox Series X and S."

Bloch adds that revenue during Black Friday 2022 was split 41% for consoles, 39% for accessories and 21% for physical games -- the smallest share for software to-date.

81% of sales of Black Friday 2022 sales were via online retailers, the second biggest share for online retailers so far. The biggest online share was during Black Friday 2020, which was the result of a country-wide lockdown caused by COVID-19.

Alot of interesting tidbits in the full article.

Clearly xbox and PS picked up some of the console hw slack from Nintendo, if we have a yoy decline for Nintendo (may have missed it) could estimate some growth numbers.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Dj Khaled Ox GIF

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Holiday strategies

Sony: Hey we just released God of War. Did you see Ragarok?

Microsoft: $50 off Series S and we’ll throw in a free controller/headset/bean bag chair! You like Game Pass? Here! Take some!

Nintendo: What was that bundle we did two years ago? Mario Kart? Yeah, let’s just go with that again.

Nintendo doesn’t even have to try.

reksveks

~110k Switch's roughly last year, not sure we can do much to figure out.

Do know that PS5 sold a min of 24k which then gives us mins of 56k for Switch and 53k for Xbox. (Total would be min of 134k)

skit_data

Switch sales are crazy, but not that crazy when considering they have pretty much merged their stationary and handheld market into one.
I’ll still try to hold out til their next console, I think it will be a damn good value proposition if it will be backwards compatible.

The switch is defiantly worth buying now. I had one at the start but sold it as there wasn't much out. Got another in OLED model 2-3 months ago and am enjoying it and there is a good selection of games to play. Playing on the OLED screen is a lot better than the original.

Kuranghi

Here an interesting difference between XS, PS5 and Switch console sales I've noticed: if a particular bundle isn't available then Switch buyers - half the time mums/grans buying for kids/grandkids ime - they buy it no matter what bundles are there, online passes in stock etc, but with the XS they will often not buy it if the bundle isnt just right.

PS5 was kinda like this too I just have way less examples of that, I couldn't believe people sometimes wouldn't buy it, I don't think they knew how in demand it is, same with XSX.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
MK8 will go down as the greatest most successful game of all time.
I’d pay hard cash for an interview with whoever did that pie chart at Polygon.

Switch sales are crazy, but not that crazy when considering they have pretty much merged their stationary and handheld market into one.
We’re still doing this?
The dedicated handheld market is gone. So is probably Nintendo’s home-only console business. Comparing Switch’s numbers to Wii+DS proves nothing.

skit_data

We’re still doing this?
The dedicated handheld market is gone. So is probably Nintendo’s home-only console business. Comparing Switch’s numbers to Wii+DS proves nothing.
I didn’t know it was something people were ”doing” and I don’t see it as a negative or anything.
I’d say they have sort of a a dedicated handheld in the form of Switch Lite.
But I do get what u mean in the sense that it’s not really comparable, cause it should probably lead to lower overall sales than combining sales from their earlier consoles but higher sales of them separately.

Last edited:

reksveks

Wait, it's 40% Xbox Series S. 18% includes Series X and PS5, no?
Think the series x is in the 40%.

Microsoft reduced its Xbox Series S machine to under £200 during Black Friday, and the platform accounted for 40% of all consoles sold during the week.

The platform would be both

Last edited:

reksveks

From the quicker people at IBF,

Estimates are.

Black Friday 2021
Total : 145.000 units
Switch : 110.000 units
XB + PS5 : 35.000 units

Black Friday 2022
Total : 145.000 units
Switch : 61.000 units
Xbox Series : 58.000 units
PS5 : 26.000 units

Last edited:

pasterpl

PS5 was kinda like this too I just have way less examples of that, I couldn't believe people sometimes wouldn't buy it, I don't think they knew how in demand it is, same with XSX.
If the demand was so strong why they have not sold more units? Your comment doesn’t make sense. Obviously demand for ps5 was low during Black Friday.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the split look similar in USA.

Last edited:

Kikorin

Most impressive thing about Switch is not just hardware numbers (that are crazy high anyway), but also software sales. Basically everything Nintendo released has become millions seller, even rushed games like the sport's ones or porting from Wii U. I think success for the next console is granted if they just made a Switch 2 with retro compatibility and more powerful, but is Nintendo who we are talking about, so could also be something completely unexpected that fails hard.

Mozza

I’ll still try to hold out til their next console, I think it will be a damn good value proposition if it will be backwards compatible.
So basically because they do not sell Wii/Ds numbers it's a failure, those moving goal posts again.......... so basically any console not selling 250 million is now selling poorly, or it could just be the Wii and DS benefitted from a much wider mass market appeal, and were pretty much lightning in a bottle.

Wait, if Xbox took 40% of sales, and PS5 took 18%, that's 58%, that leaves 42% for the Switch.

For one, that means the PS5 isn't moving in the UK as people thought on BF.

But it also means that Xbox and Switch are only 2% apart. Likely due to a lack of X stock.

Now, UK isn't always an indicator for NOPD but it's pretty close for November, and with more X's likely in the US this may be an indicator Xbox Series was number one in nov for the US.

skit_data

So basically because they do not sell Wii/Ds numbers it's a failure, those moving goal posts again.......... so basically any console not selling 250 million is now selling poorly, or it could just be the Wii and DS benefitted from a much wider mass market appeal, and were pretty much lightning in a bottle.
Jeez, I had no idea this was some kind of touchy subject.

I’m just saying that Nintendo has sort of merged their previously split markets into one.
In some ways it will probably lead to overall lower sales than the two combined (people that previously bought two consoles now buy one instead) but overall higher than any singular device (because Switch combines the ease of portability while still being able to work as a stationary console). It’s really not slowing down so there’s no telling how many more they’ll sell.

Topher

Gold Member
Got me an OLED version :)

Anyone recommend the best controllers for when its in docked mode?

8bitdo Ultimate

I’m selling all my other controllers, including 2x Elite that I have left. This and upcoming Edge will cover all my needs.

I haven’t touched Elite since I got this bad boy.
It feels like sex in the hands. Legit fantastic controller.
I'm having a hard time disagreeing with you. This may be my favorite controller overall and that includes the Elite Series 2. It just has so much packed into this controller. 2.4ghz adapter, bluetooth, charging stand and back buttons. Has awesome mapping software. I can easily use it for both PC and Switch. Build quality is fantastic. No worries about drift.

Damn thing is amazing.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Switch is an awesome little machine and a great concept. It deserves all of its success. The brand is firmly planted into the gaming and consumer zeitgeist so I would be shocked if Nintendo abandoned it and went with something different. It's time to settle with what you have and evolve it, instead of reinventing the wheel again. I know it went to shit with the Wii-brand when they tried to evolve it but I'd argue the Switch-brand is multitudes stronger and more popular than Wii ever was. They got both the casual and the hardcore audience aboard this time.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Wait, if Xbox took 40% of sales, and PS5 took 18%, that's 58%, that leaves 42% for the Switch.

For one, that means the PS5 isn't moving in the UK as people thought on BF.

But it also means that Xbox and Switch are only 2% apart. Likely due to a lack of X stock.

Now, UK isn't always an indicator for NOPD but it's pretty close for November, and with more X's likely in the US this may be an indicator Xbox Series was number one in nov for the US.
Just as likely that more people wanted Switch

Oberstein

The hybrid machine accounted for 42% of all console's sold during the week. This is due to the return of last year's Black Friday Switch bundle, which included a Switch Neon machine, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe and three months of Nintendo Switch Online.

However, it's actually a far weaker performance than last Black Friday for Nintendo. The company faced strong competition this year, led by an aggressive offer by Xbox. Microsoft reduced its Xbox Series S machine to under £200 during Black Friday, and the platform accounted for 40% of all consoles sold during the week. PS5, which did receive some small discounts of its digital-only edition, accounted for 18% of sales.

"Console hardware volumes over Black Friday week are similar to last year and Switch was again No.1," said GfK boss Dorian Bloch. "However, overall Switch volumes are way down over Black Friday 2021, as both Sony and Microsoft also targeted Black Friday week with tempting offers."

What a beast...

T4Z6zGx.gif

Deerock71

My actual "concern" is Nintendo holds off too long on the inevitable price drop on the Switch. I want this thing to scale Mt. Doom and throw the Ring in!
Take GIF

Top Bottom