• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Taking Over 2023

This. I think OP doesn't realize Nintendo is slow to release games when their hardware does well.
If Nintendo had announced a few crappy games for the rest of the year, I would say you have a point. But for them to have nothing announced tells me they have some special plans they are waiting to announce at the right time.

TotK is looking like the easiest lock for GOTY in quiet a long time, but apart from that?

One game, taking over, okay.

I disagree OP. I think besides Totk, there isn't anything from Nintendo in 2023, that I'm interested in.

You guys really think TOTK will be the only significant release of 2023? You don’t think they have a few other AAA releases, especially for the holidays? Multiple gigaton announcements next month? You would be foolish to think they would skip out on all that $$.

E3 may be gone but mark my words, Nintendo will have a huge reveal within the next few weeks. It would be a concern if they had already announced their games for the rest of the year (like the PlayStation Showcase did today) and there wasn’t any significant announcements, but they haven’t.

GenericUser

You guys really think TOTK will be the only significant release of 2023? You don’t think they have a few other AAA releases, especially for the holidays? Multiple gigaton announcements next month? You would be foolish to think they would skip out on all that $$.

E3 may be gone but mark my words, Nintendo will have a huge reveal within the next few weeks. It would be a concern if they had already announced their games for the rest of the year (like the PlayStation Showcase did today) and there wasn’t any significant announcements, but they haven’t.
I geniunely don't know. I'd be happy if nintendo drops megaton after megaton in the coming months. I'm a gamer, not a fanboy.

ThisIsMyDog

Personally, I think that Nintendo is currently preparing line up for the release of a new console next year, so the end of this not going to be too heavy on games.

Dude let everyone play where they want. I don't give a fuck about zelda, but I respect that so many people adore the game. The same way I respect people who like sony or xbox. Just chill. End of the day is all about having fun.

Camreezie

It mays be the best game ever but its onlys one game

Nintendos doesnt released enough games like Zeldas to hold my interests buts I will be enjoying its all year

oh-yeah-mrw.gif
Maybe use all that free time Nintendo has afforded you by not releasing games learning to speak english

Dude let everyone play where they want. I don't give a fuck about zelda, but I respect that so many people adore the game. The same way I respect people who like sony or xbox. Just chill. End of the day is all about having fun.
What are you talking about? Who is not letting people play where they want? Are you talking to Sony? because you have to be on your home wifi to play project Q so you cannot play where you want?
Actually, I’m having alot of fun. It doesn’t sound like you are though. Chill out dude.

What are you talking about? Who is not letting people play where they want? Are you talking to Sony? because you have to be on your home wifi to play project Q so you cannot play where you want?
Actually, I’m having alot of fun. It doesn’t sound like you are though. Chill out dude.
Project Q? Not letting people play? Talking to sony?

Ok.

Personally, I think that Nintendo is currently preparing line up for the release of a new console next year, so the end of this not going to be too heavy on games.
That’s definitely a path they could be taking but my money is it’s not. Holiday sales opportunities , Metroid Prime 4 already announced for Switch, multiple development teams not having released a game in years, a completely open slate for the second half of 2023. Everything is lining up too good for big announcements THIS YEAR for me to think otherwise. Time will tell though. We have been burned before.

Woopah

My friends are baffled why I haven't bought totk. I'm just not excited about alot Nintendo puts out nowadays.

I honestly think as I've gotten older the lack of releases from some of their storied franchises has just turned me off to buying their stuff.
Which franchises are you waiting for on Switch?
Nintendo has like 2 games worth buying per generation cycle. Outside BOTW they have nothing of value. BOTW2 is literally a full recycle/rehash of the first game and they bring nothing new to the table. GameFreak are incompetent.
I don't think you understand what "literally" means.
Nintendo has been winning since the switch came out. #1 console in sales for a reason
But PS5 is currently top in sales for the year.
This. I think OP doesn't realize Nintendo is slow to release games when their hardware does well.
Their hardware had been doing well for the last 2 years and they've been publishing one game almost every month.
If Nintendo had announced a few crappy games for the rest of the year, I would say you have a point. But for them to have nothing announced tells me they have some special plans they are waiting to announce at the right time.
Will they have multiple unannounced games for 2023? Yes.

But I definitely feel you are getting overexcited. Let's just see what surprise they have rather than getting too hyped. Especially when the next Direct is still a while away.

SegaShack

Not really. The Wii and DS got barely anything in their last few years. It's pretty standard they go light on software releases when their platforms are doing well.

AngelMuffin

Dude nintendo has Zelda this year and thats basically it, a game that took 6 years to develop and isnt very different from the original BOTW. Nintendo has been stinking it up too, I'm just waiting for them to pacify me with an incredible 3d mario so I can go back to hoping for nothing from them again because leading nintendo doesnt do much in the second half of their console's life span so whats the point.
How long did GoW: Ragnarok - which isn’t very different from the original GoW - take to develop? Had to implement a complex physics engine as well. Point is, quality takes time.

MagnesD3

How long did GoW: Ragnarok - which isn’t very different from the original GoW - take to develop? Had to implement a complex physics engine as well. Point is, quality takes time.
I think Ragnarok was a poor display of this as well, it felt like glorified DLC to the original turned into a full game. It wasn't worth the wait either..

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
Ugh. Wake me up when new Switch hardware gets announced. Don’t care how awesome the games are, I don’t want to be reminded how old the hardware is when playing is on my tv. Because of how small the joycons are, portable mode just isn’t an option for me because of my big hands.

Last edited:

ungalo

When i step into this forum i still feel like i'm trapped in an alternate universe where i got delivered the wrong ToTK and i don't know what's going on.

Never felt more out of step with a situation than this.

ungalo

Perhaps they should have spent 10 years to make the game then.

Because it's true it's probably very hard to create such permissive tools in a big open world. But the game doesn't do much with it, it's just a toy. What the game ask of you is constantly mediocre. This game is the definition of blue balls.

Last edited:
Not really. The Wii and DS got barely anything in their last few years. It's pretty standard they go light on software releases when their platforms are doing well.
That was when Nintendo was spread thin supporting 4 devices (Wii,DS, and behind the scenes Wii U & 3DS). Now they are just developing for 2 (Switch & Switch 2 which will probably be backwards compatible). In any case I wasn’t talking just about releases when I said they are going to own 2023. This topic was made in response to the letdown of the Playstation showcase. Nintendo will own 2023 from the ANNOUNCEMENTS and THEIR next showcase (Direct). I think they will reveal new hardware that will be a significant step up, and AAA games that people will be excited for.

SeraphJan

I think they each aim for different demographic, gaming is a very diverse term.

If you are talking about gamey games, Nintendo already toke over long time ago.

Woopah

That was when Nintendo was spread thin supporting 4 devices (Wii,DS, and behind the scenes Wii U & 3DS). Now they are just developing for 2 (Switch & Switch 2 which will probably be backwards compatible). In any case I wasn’t talking just about releases when I said they are going to own 2023. This topic was made in response to the letdown of the Playstation showcase. Nintendo will own 2023 from the ANNOUNCEMENTS and THEIR next showcase (Direct). I think they will reveal new hardware that will be a significant step up, and AAA games that people will be excited for.
It is very unlikely that they will announce any hardware this year.

They won't have a big mega showcase, just a Dirct focused on the final few months of the year.

MiguelItUp

Taking over 2023? I don't know about all that. But Tears of the Kingdom is great, did really well, and still is. I am definitely curious to see what they're releasing before 2023 is over.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Switch haven't been even remotely close lacking releases, that most Nintendo output doesn't interest some people doesn't make them slow to release games. This year alone we've had:
That's more than 1 game per month and I'm not even counting NSO old games that have made good noise. It's about to be as bloated of first party releases as last year.

Really couldn't give two shits about nintendo until they decide to bring the bare minimum of modernity to their hardware .. dont going to pay premium to play shit with resources from five years ago .. my last mistake was the switch.. im out
The hardware power is a huge issue for sure. They took forever just to go HD. But I think this is precisely why the Switch 2 is going to be a huge deal. It feels like it will be the hardware that finally gets Nintendo caught up with the competition. Which also means 3rd party software that doesn't look like shit compared to the other systems. The rumor is ps4 pro level gfx. I think that would be amazing. Because the law of diminishing returns aka I haven’t seen any PS5 game that really pushes the envelope vs ps4 pro gfx. With the magic of what Nintendo can get out of lesser hardware (see TOTK) I think we will be in for a treat.

It is very unlikely that they will announce any hardware this year.

They won't have a big mega showcase, just a Dirct focused on the final few months of the year.
I think they will. But for arguments sake, lets say they don’t. They WILL showcase at the very least, games. And I can guarantee the games they announce will be more exciting than anything Playstation showed at their showcase.
I do hope it forces the hand of Sony to do another ACTUAL Playstation showcase with AAA games. Naughty Dog, Bluepoint, PlayStation Studios, Sony Santamonica, these are all developers that can blow our socks off. My PS5 has only been played a handful of times this year because of Resident Evil 4. That will change soon with Final Fantasy 16 but come on now. I’ve had this thing for 3 years. We should be in the middle of the GREATEST GAMING YEAR OF THE PS5. We are STILL getting crossgen games even though we are almost mid-cycle of this generation. And don’t get me started on Microsoft.
This is why I think Nintendo is poised to take 2023. They have yet to show their hand and their slate is fully open.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
TotK on a mobile chip did what those powerful machines couldn’t. It shows you that creativity has no limit. This is what happens when fun is the focus instead of pushing polygons.
They makes games that appeals to people who enjoy act of playing not graphics whores who like to drool over pixels all day.

Switch haven't been even remotely close lacking releases, that most Nintendo output doesn't interest some people doesn't make them slow to release games. This year alone we've had:
That's more than 1 game per month and I'm not even counting NSO old games that have made good noise. It's about to be as bloated of first party releases as last year.
Don’t forget about this!
xeno3future-1681868794699.jpg

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I was a bit down on Switch before this year, really want new hardware, but Metroid Prime and TotK have just been so soooo good. They really knocked it out of the park and into space so far this year.

Given their sales projection I assume they have at least one major holiday title planned that we know nothing about.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
They makes games that appeals to people who enjoy act of playing not graphics whores who like to drool over pixels all day.

Don’t forget about this!
xeno3future-1681868794699.jpg
Didn't include it because I haven't paid attention to its release date... I'm feeling somewhat guilty of delay playing Xenoblade 3 but this year that will change finally!

KXVXII9X

I geniunely don't know. I'd be happy if nintendo drops megaton after megaton in the coming months. I'm a gamer, not a fanboy.
I think some of you truly live in a bubble. Professor Layton A New World of Steam was announced in February during the direct. Despite what any of you may think, it was one of the most popular exclusive titles on the DS/3DS and is something fans have been wanting to return for ages now. You can just see it through the replies on the YouTube pages. And while not exclusive, DecaPolice is also not a game to scoff at but since it is Japanese, it will be overlooked like Astral Chain.

They also have Pikmin 4 coming and have released a remaster of Metroid Prime and Advance Wars along with Fire Emblem Engage. They released Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Splatoon 3, Mario and Rabbids Sparks of Hope and Kirby the Forgotten Land last year.

They still have the healthiest stream of exclusive game releases. They are also known on announcing new games months before release. They are also at the end of their console cycle and are probably preparing games for their next console. With that said, I wouldn't mind more games like a new Kid Icarus or a new Star Fox. I'm sure they have a couple more surprises before the console's lifespan.

I was a bit down on Switch before this year, really want new hardware, but Metroid Prime and TotK have just been so soooo good. They really knocked it out of the park and into space so far this year.

Given their sales projection I assume they have at least one major holiday title planned that we know nothing about.
Great point. Nintendo stated they expect to sell 15 million Switch’s current fiscal year (until March 2024). Those arent numbers that can be accomplished by Tears of The Kingdom and the releases they’ve had alone. Especially since more people own a Switch then ever before. For comparison, they sold 17.97 consoles last fiscal year.

Woopah

I think some of you truly live in a bubble. Professor Layton A New World of Steam was announced in February during the direct. Despite what any of you may think, it was one of the most popular exclusive titles on the DS/3DS and is something fans have been wanting to return for ages now. You can just see it through the replies on the YouTube pages. And while not exclusive, DecaPolice is also not a game to scoff at but since it is Japanese, it will be overlooked like Astral Chain.

They also have Pikmin 4 coming and have released a remaster of Metroid Prime and Advance Wars along with Fire Emblem Engage. They released Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Splatoon 3, Mario and Rabbids Sparks of Hope and Kirby the Forgotten Land last year.

They still have the healthiest stream of exclusive game releases. They are also known on announcing new games months before release. They are also at the end of their console cycle and are probably preparing games for their next console. With that said, I wouldn't mind more games like a new Kid Icarus or a new Star Fox. I'm sure they have a couple more surprises before the console's lifespan.
There's nothing in that comment that is a fanboy bubble. They are saying that we don't know if Nintendo will have multiple gigaton announcements next month or not. Which is true!

Robbinhood

Banned
Nintendo has always been overrrated. Free pass from media and gamers alike.

They produce fine games sometimes, for me they are usually miss more than hit.

TOTK is a solid 8.5, I like it and appreciate the design aspect more than the execution. It still drags and gets boring at times. But its also unique and bold and I like that. Outside of TOTK they don't make anything I like besides Metroid.

KXVXII9X

There's nothing in that comment that is a fanboy bubble. They are saying that we don't know if Nintendo will have multiple gigaton announcements next month or not. Which is true!
I wasn't talking about it in terms of fanboys but in them not being aware of other games existing. They did have a Direct in February showcasing some games coming out later this year, which is in the coming months. I listed some. They may have some more announced, who knows. They are the ones who went about not being a fanboy.

Killer8

They've had a solid first half of the year but apart from Pikmin 4, what is really left now? They seem to be padding the rest of the year's lineup with ports and HD remasters.

Let's just admit that 2023 has been a horrible year for all three companies.

Woopah

I wasn't talking about it in terms of fanboys but in them not being aware of other games existing. They did have a Direct in February showcasing some games coming out later this year, which is in the coming months. I listed some. They may have some more announced, who knows. They are the ones who went about not being a fanboy.
They said they are currently only interested in TOTK, not that other games don't exist. Nothing about their post indicates they are unaware.
I think they will. But for arguments sake, lets say they don’t. They WILL showcase at the very least, games. And I can guarantee the games they announce will be more exciting than anything Playstation showed at their showcase.
I do hope it forces the hand of Sony to do another ACTUAL Playstation showcase with AAA games. Naughty Dog, Bluepoint, PlayStation Studios, Sony Santamonica, these are all developers that can blow our socks off. My PS5 has only been played a handful of times this year because of Resident Evil 4. That will change soon with Final Fantasy 16 but come on now. I’ve had this thing for 3 years. We should be in the middle of the GREATEST GAMING YEAR OF THE PS5. We are STILL getting crossgen games even though we are almost mid-cycle of this generation. And don’t get me started on Microsoft.
This is why I think Nintendo is poised to take 2023. They have yet to show their hand and their slate is fully open.
They will show off several unannounced games sometime over the summer. But people shouldn't get too excited about it definitely coming next month or containing multiple gigatons.

I think it will be a good show, revealing several unannounced first party and third party ganes with gameplay that will release in 2023. Some of them nay be big, but not all.

They've had a solid first half of the year but apart from Pikmin 4, what is really left now? They seem to be padding the rest of the year's lineup with ports and HD remasters.

Let's just admit that 2023 has been a horrible year for all three companies.
The rest of their lineup is currently unannounced, which is why they have the potential to put on a good show.

The rest of the year could be padded with remasters, or it could be padded with new games. Most likely it will be both.

Zannegan

Oh, trust me, don't do this. Don't assume that because it's "too quiet" Nintendo has something else up their sleeves. Sometimes they are quiet because they simply have nothing to show, for one reason or another.
Reference: See Nintendo's E3 2008, and that was just two years after they knocked it out of the park in 2006.

Plus, with a new system (hopefully) right around the corner, they could well be focusing their efforts on pumping up its launch library. After all, one of the reasons the Switch was so successful was that it had a killer launch-year lineup, or at the very least a steady drip of content. It's entirely possible that Nintendo will let Breath of the Wild be the Switch's swan song then pad out the year with Pikmin and a couple more little things.

But even if I'm wrong about this year, I don't see the point of making a thread to cheerlead one company for potential announcements and "dunk on" the others. Counting your chickens before they hatch is exactly what made the PS showcase so disappointing for many, and everyone's turn comes eventually.

Woopah

Oh, trust me, don't do this. Don't assume that because it's "too quiet" Nintendo has something else up their sleeves. Sometimes they are quiet because they simply have nothing to show, for one reason or another.
Reference: See Nintendo's E3 2008, and that was just two years after they knocked it out of the park in 2006.

Plus, with a new system (hopefully) right around the corner, they could well be focusing their efforts on pumping up its launch library. After all, one of the reasons the Switch was so successful was that it had a killer launch-year lineup, or at the very least a steady drip of content. It's entirely possible that Nintendo will let Breath of the Wild be the Switch's swan song then pad out the year with Pikmin and a couple more little things.

But even if I'm wrong about this year, I don't see the point of making a thread to cheerlead one company for potential announcements and "dunk on" the others. Counting your chickens before they hatch is exactly what made the PS showcase so disappointing for many, and everyone's turn comes eventually.
This is precisely my thoughts. They'll have some things to show but I don't think we'll get a huge showcase on many things in the coming years. Go in with reasonable expetations not huge expectations.

Could indeed be like 2008, where they had a very very bad E3 and then a very very good October conference.

They will show off several unannounced games sometime over the summer. But people shouldn't get too excited about it definitely coming next month or containing multiple gigatons.

I think it will be a good show, revealing several unannounced first party and third party ganes with gameplay that will release in 2023. Some of them nay be big, but not all.

The rest of their lineup is currently unannounced, which is why they have the potential to put on a good show.

The rest of the year could be padded with remasters, or it could be padded with new games. Most likely it will be both.
If they do any of that, they will have trumped the pathetic PlayStation Showcase and most likely Microsofts showcase.

This is sound advice, but not for me and I’ll tell you why.
My excitement for videogames is very high, yes. But I’m also an old soul. So when I don’t get the reveals and announcements of the new exciting stuff I want, I go back to playing Ocarina of Time , Uncharted 2, and Super Metroid for the 100th time and am perfectly happy. Metal Gear Solid, God of War 3, Halo 3. All comfort food for me and I NEVER get tired of them. Imagine a multiplayer game you love and can endlessly play. All these amazing single player experiences are like that for me.
So, I am not one of those that lose myself in the depths when gaming announcements aren’t up to par to my hype. Im so happy we have these amazing experiences I can relive. When a game becomes “old”, it never becomes obsolete to me. It just adds to my future playtime endlessly.

We are always looking for that new exciting game. And it IS exciting. But if it doesn’t happen, all your favorites are still there for you to enjoy. If you adapt this idea, you will NEVER have to hype responsibly.

Woopah

If they do any of that, they will have trumped the pathetic PlayStation Showcase and most likely Microsofts showcase.
I mean, PlayStation also announced several new games in their show, so it depends on what Nintendo announces.

Their lineup for the rest of the year could be:

• Prime 4
  • a 3D Donkey Kong platformer
  • New Kid Icarus
  • F Zero GX full on remake
Or:

• New Super Mario Bros. 5
  • Tomodach sequel
  • F Zero GX port

The reactions to those lineups would be very different

They will certainly win the PR war for this year if they announce Switch 2 and games being developed for it.

They’ll also easily sell the most consoles while the other two fuck themselves repeatedly.
There will be way more PS5s sold this year than Switchs

Top Bottom