• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Taking Over 2023

Dr.brain64

giphy.gif

decisions

Nintendo is in the position to dominate the industry. With the Switch 2, if they can alleviate some of the issues that people have with them by improving their online infrastructure and graphics potential, the Switch 2 will likely become the best-selling console of all-time.

I'm not even a big modern Nintendo fan, but I'm becoming one juxtaposing TOTK with whatever the fuck is going on in the rest of the industry.

They seem to be the only company who truly believes in game quality being the focus of their business model.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Nintendo is poised to take a big ass chunk out of the big boys if they release a powerful enough system to compete port-wise. If they chase the Switch 2 route, that likely won't happen unless they put more juice in the dock.

That being said, Xbox are positioned to have a pretty good showcase this year that will likely change the online sentiment a bit.
Not sure what the fuck Sony is doing other than actively pissing me off.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
The hardware power is a huge issue for sure. They took forever just to go HD. But I think this is precisely why the Switch 2 is going to be a huge deal. It feels like it will be the hardware that finally gets Nintendo caught up with the competition. Which also means 3rd party software that doesn't look like shit compared to the other systems. The rumor is ps4 pro level gfx. I think that would be amazing. Because the law of diminishing returns aka I haven’t seen any PS5 game that really pushes the envelope vs ps4 pro gfx. With the magic of what Nintendo can get out of lesser hardware (see TOTK) I think we will be in for a treat.

I think they will. But for arguments sake, lets say they don’t. They WILL showcase at the very least, games. And I can guarantee the games they announce will be more exciting than anything Playstation showed at their showcase.
I do hope it forces the hand of Sony to do another ACTUAL Playstation showcase with AAA games. Naughty Dog, Bluepoint, PlayStation Studios, Sony Santamonica, these are all developers that can blow our socks off. My PS5 has only been played a handful of times this year because of Resident Evil 4. That will change soon with Final Fantasy 16 but come on now. I’ve had this thing for 3 years. We should be in the middle of the GREATEST GAMING YEAR OF THE PS5. We are STILL getting crossgen games even though we are almost mid-cycle of this generation. And don’t get me started on Microsoft.
This is why I think Nintendo is poised to take 2023. They have yet to show their hand and their slate is fully open.

Ps4 graphics with 60 fps is enough for nintendo... not for 3rd party parity ...anyway they will release this thing like 4 or 5 after the ps5 ... that would be what 8 to 9 years after the ps4pro.. and charge the cost of the ps5 .. so for me is unacceptable.

5 years later they should release something on par with the ps5 and still not loose money ...that would give developers of nintendo head roon for 60 fps with medium graphics controlling development costs and third party can go wild and do whatever they want.

I like nintendo ... very much... but the consistency of 1st party release is poor enough to also restrict 3rd partys content with shit old hardware as well.

But they got to do what they got to do.. nintendo is successful enough doing what they do now so... can't see that changing as much as I would love.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Nintendo is poised to take a big ass chunk out of the big boys if they release a powerful enough system to compete port-wise. If they chase the Switch 2 route, that likely won't happen unless they put more juice in the dock.

That being said, Xbox are positioned to have a pretty good showcase this year that will likely change the online sentiment a bit.
Not sure what the fuck Sony is doing other than actively pissing me off.
Xbox have been positioned for freaking 20 years and not delivering.... and they wont, Phil already said it with all the words ... but I wish they would to fuck up this gaas chase for sony , but at the same time I dont want this xbox push for a gamepass future because I think it is cancer for quality gaming...

- We got very few first party games and shitty unfinished games to quantify the gamepass push but with nice strong hardware that is been underutilized because of the retarded brother, but with enough studios that IF managed right can do all the right things in the SP space

- shitty ancient overpriced hardware but with few very great creative 1st party games screaming for more power and no third party decent support or parity, but they have great IPs to unleash just given time and hardware

- great hardware and great history of 1st party single party games but now we see clearly a heavly push into the MP GAAS that is overtaking the development costs and time of studios and begins to show a direct effect on 1st SP games development and importance

So looking at this XBOX can get their shit together and become a force in the high end , Nintendo can swing for the stars with 1st party and strong hardware to compete like equals for some time and beyond

Chiggs

Tears of the Kingdom, Metroid Prime: Remastered, and Resident Evil 4 have been my favorite gaming experiences this year.

That's 2/3 for Nintendo. They're killing it. Just give me Echoes!

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Ok Nintendo, please please please surprise me with a home console with 20TF of power, NINTENDO POWER!!
And then still of course release a switch 2 with more horsepower and backwards compat to switch 1 as the 2nd console running the same games at lower res.
Will they be constrained by the portable a bit? You bet. Will it be glorious? Yes, Nintendo are wizards.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I don't know how to rate the PlayStation showcase thought it was 'ok', the star probably being Dragon's Dogma

Nintendo has a great year so far, Zelda TotK,Metroid Prime remastered, Fire Emblem Engage, Bayonetta Origins etc

fans are asking questions about the second half of the year but im not really worried, just waiting for more Metroid remasters and Mario bros 2D ,at this point the Switch reached its peak its going to be calm before the next console announcement

MagnesD3

I agree, but ToTK does essentially render Breath of the Wild as a big, fat, "why?"

I will literally never play it again.
To me it says alot about the flaws and strengths of BOTW, TOTK is better for sure in every way but pacing but still at its core it suffers due to BOTW's weaknesses (although it does put a bandaid on some of them thanks to fuse) but I think TOTK ridiculous size will hurt it in the long run to get abysmally tired of its weaknesses, I'm already starting to feel annoyed by the combat/weak pickups being boring again after 55 hours nd I'm maybe a 3rd of the way through.

I really like the build stuff I just wish there were alot of interesting environmental puzzles with them in the world, doing those goddamn korok seeds or helping out Sign Cuck doesn't cut it lol. There's so much they could do with the amount of toys the have there, too much emphasis on freedom, would prefer more emphasis on intentional design.

Needless to say I just wish BOTW never existed and only TOTK did so I could have a new Zelda formula sooner and have gotten the best of what this current formula has to offer. Imo this formula is dead in the water after this game (even if they do force another)

Last edited:

Woopah

I don't know how to rate the PlayStation showcase thought it was 'ok', the star probably being Dragon's Dogma

Nintendo has a great year so far, Zelda TotK,Metroid Prime remastered, Fire Emblem Engage, Bayonetta Origins etc

fans are asking questions about the second half of the year but im not really worried, just waiting for more Metroid remasters and Mario bros 2D ,at this point the Switch reached its peak its going to be calm before the next console announcement
They need to continue the current momentum, I'd like more new ganes than just a 2D Mario (depending on its quality).

Astral Dog

They need to continue the current momentum, I'd like more new ganes than just a 2D Mario (depending on its quality).
We all do, im just saying i would be ok with it at this point, i expect calm months rather than another bunch of notable releases, with Tears of the Kingdom carrying the burden

This June for example may be simply a mostly third party direct until their September event.

(but of course im open to be surprised and have a lineup of rad Switch games as well 🤭)

Major 2023 games

Dead Space Remake
Diablo 4
Final Fantasy XVI
Forza Motersport
Hogwarts Legacy
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Spider-Man 2
Starfield
Street Fighter 6
Tears of the Kingdom

I'm probably missing a few, but that doesn't sound to me like Nintendo owns that list, despite having the single biggest game.

Woopah

We all do, im just saying i would be ok with it at this point, i expect calm months rather than another bunch of notable releases, with Tears of the Kingdom carrying the burden

This June for example may be simply a mostly third party direct until their September event.

(but of course im open to be surprised and have a lineup of rad Switch games as well 🤭)
It's definitely a possibility, though i think they are just going to have one Summer Direct this year, rather than seperate June and September ones.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Major 2023 games

Dead Space Remake
Diablo 4
Final Fantasy XVI
Forza Motersport
Hogwarts Legacy
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Spider-Man 2
Starfield
Street Fighter 6
Tears of the Kingdom

I'm probably missing a few, but that doesn't sound to me like Nintendo owns that list, despite having the single biggest game.
You missed Octopath 2 and Armored Core VI, how fucking dare you!
slap-in-the-face-angry.gif

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa
Major 2023 games

Dead Space Remake
Diablo 4
Final Fantasy XVI
Forza Motersport
Hogwarts Legacy
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Spider-Man 2
Starfield
Street Fighter 6
Tears of the Kingdom

You are basing “owning” 2023” on already announced (and some multiplatform) games. I said they are going to own it, basing it on the announcements/showcases for releases this year. All the hype will be Nintendo’s this year. This is based on the shitty PlayStation showcase, the lackluster history of xbox (with them already stating they have given up & its just about gamepass for them) and the huge potential of Nintendo with their fully open slate, on the cusp of announcing a new more powerful system, this is the calm before the storm.
Can I be wrong? Yes. Have I been letdown by Nintendo before? Oh Ive been demolished and decimated by them before yes. Have I learnt my lesson? No. And Im willing to bet huge on them still.
le1ZznO.gif

SiahWester

Zelda has always been the carrot on the stick that gets me to buy Nintendo consoles. I just hope they do something more than a Switch 2. That would be pretty underwhelming when we have the Steam Deck and handheld PCs. The novelty of the Switch is not longer novel.

OP, are you familiar with the Steam Deck?
The Steam Deck is winning 2023? Its just a portable pc right? Thats about all I know about it. And I doubt most of the 125 million switch owners heard about it or even care to.
Zelda has always been the carrot on the stick that gets me to buy Nintendo consoles. I just hope they do something more than a Switch 2. That would be pretty underwhelming when we have the Steam Deck and handheld PCs. The novelty of the Switch is not longer novel.
They probably will do more then just better horsepower as Nintendo always does something unique but even if that was the case, the games they will develop with that extra horsepower would be more special then the competition. The extra horsepower in Nintendos hands would give us more then just better graphics. Again, Tears of The Kingdom is a great example. I really think it has opened up a new way of thinking about using horsepower for interesting gameplay experiences and not just graphics.

Sakura

I agree, but ToTK does essentially render Breath of the Wild as a big, fat, "why?"

I will literally never play it again.
Eh, that's kind of mean. Personally I would rank BotW above TotK, even though I love the crafting stuff.

Woopah

You are basing “owning” 2023” on already announced (and some multiplatform) games. I said they are going to own it, basing it on the announcements/showcases for releases this year. All the hype will be Nintendo’s this year. This is based on the shitty PlayStation showcase, the lackluster history of xbox (with them already stating they have given up & its just about gamepass for them) and the huge potential of Nintendo with their fully open slate, on the cusp of announcing a new more powerful system, this is the calm before the storm.
Can I be wrong? Yes. Have I been letdown by Nintendo before? Oh Ive been demolished and decimated by them before yes. Have I learnt my lesson? No. And Im willing to bet huge on them still.
le1ZznO.gif
I went into this Summer thinking all three companies had a really great chance to impress and surprise.

Sony may have squandered that opportunity, but I still think Microsoft has a really good chance to have the best show of the Summer.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
To be honest. I dont think they need anything else but zelda. That's a game that would last 9 months easy in sales.

Saying that, it would be awesome to get a couple of surprises because nintendo didn't need to talk about anything but zelda before it launched.

Robb

Gold Member
Okay. What we expect?
Pikmin 4 - yes
Metroid Prime 4 - maybe in 2 years?
New Mario game?r
Anything other on the horizon?
New 2D Mario maybe. I’m also thinking Prime 4 will be out sooner than that considering it’s been 4 years(?) since the reboot and they released the remaster recently.

Zelda DLC seems likely as well. Probably some more Pokemon.

Woopah

Okay. What we expect?
Pikmin 4 - yes
Metroid Prime 4 - maybe in 2 years?
New Mario game?
Anything other on the horizon?
I would expect Prime 4 to be released this fiscal year so by March 2024 at the latest.

In terms of 2023, I put the likeliest/rumoured things in a previous thread (updated with other stuff I found):
  • Bandai Namco Studios Action Remaster - Bandai Namco Studios are a close development partner for Nintendo and have already released several Switch games, the last one being New Pokémon Snap in 2021. We know they are working on a remaster of a 3D action game and a new 3D action game, but have no idea which franchise or even if both games are from the same franchise. My personal guess is that it will be Kid Icarus
  • EPD8 3D/2D platformer - Nintendo's studio in Tokyo hasn't worked on a major project since Mario Odyssey in 2017 (Bowser's Fury was largely done by Nintendo Software Technology in the US) so we are due for the 3D platformer they are hiring for. The most likely option is that its the next Mario game, but there have also been several rumours about a new DK game developed by the younger staff. This could be one game with 2D and 3D sections, or it could actuslly be that EPD8 are working on 2 game simultaneously.
  • Grezzo Action Game - Another of Nintendo's close development partners, Grezzo's last project was the Links Awakening remake in 2019. So its time to see what's next from them. Their current project is 3D action game that is "stylish" and "medieval". Is it a Ever Oasis sequel, 2D Zelda, a new IP, or something else?
  • F Zero - SyluxHunter is know to have information on some Nintendo titles, and one of their claims is that F Zero is coming back. From the person's words, it looks more likely to be a F Zero GX remake or remaster, rather than a brand new game
  • Everybody's 1-2 Switch - A sequel to the launch game is apparently done and finished, but tester feedback has been so bad that Nintendo is yet to actually release. Might be better if this one never sees the light of day....

And then there is Good Feel, Nd Cube and EPD7 where we're not sure what they are doing, but could potentially have games for 2023.

Deerock71

Man, so many bitter tears in this thread. Nintendo's stepping on some toes. And yeah, 2023's pretty much a lock for those tossers out of Japan because of Zelda, and the march to 160 million continues.
Breaking Bad Train GIF

I would expect Prime 4 to be released this fiscal year so by March 2024 at the latest.

In terms of 2023, I put the likeliest/rumoured things in a previous thread (updated with other stuff I found):
  • Bandai Namco Studios Action Remaster - Bandai Namco Studios are a close development partner for Nintendo and have already released several Switch games, the last one being New Pokémon Snap in 2021. We know they are working on a remaster of a 3D action game and a new 3D action game, but have no idea which franchise or even if both games are from the same franchise. My personal guess is that it will be Kid Icarus
  • EPD8 3D/2D platformer - Nintendo's studio in Tokyo hasn't worked on a major project since Mario Odyssey in 2017 (Bowser's Fury was largely done by Nintendo Software Technology in the US) so we are due for the 3D platformer they are hiring for. The most likely option is that its the next Mario game, but there have also been several rumours about a new DK game developed by the younger staff. This could be one game with 2D and 3D sections, or it could actuslly be that EPD8 are working on 2 game simultaneously.
  • Grezzo Action Game - Another of Nintendo's close development partners, Grezzo's last project was the Links Awakening remake in 2019. So its time to see what's next from them. Their current project is 3D action game that is "stylish" and "medieval". Is it a Ever Oasis sequel, 2D Zelda, a new IP, or something else?
  • F Zero - SyluxHunter is know to have information on some Nintendo titles, and one of their claims is that F Zero is coming back. From the person's words, it looks more likely to be a F Zero GX remake or remaster, rather than a brand new game
  • Everybody's 1-2 Switch - A sequel to the launch game is apparently done and finished, but tester feedback has been so bad that Nintendo is yet to actually release. Might be better if this one never sees the light of day....

And then there is Good Feel, Nd Cube and EPD7 where we're not sure what they are doing, but could potentially have games for 2023.
Wonderful breakdown. I’ll tell you what, if they announce a Ocarina Of Time remake by Grezzo, I remember rumors swirling about that, especially since there is references from that in Tears of The Kingdom, I will lose my shit!

quCj4dm.jpg

Aldric

They've filed a patent for the name "Jet Dragon" so that's probably what their next game is called, they seem to be the copyrights holders though not Nintendo so it's likely not a Switch exclusive or maybe it's one of these cases where the rights are shared between Nintendo and the third party developers.

They've filed a patent for the name "Jet Dragon" so that's probably what their next game is called, they seem to be the copyrights holders though not Nintendo so it's likely not a Switch exclusive or maybe it's one of these cases where the rights are shared between Nintendo and the third party developers.
Interesting. I think Grezzo has multiple development teams so if Jet Dragon is a thing, they could simultaneously be making a Zelda as well.

TOTK is so overrated I just can't

Welcome to the minority my friend! Hop on in, the water's fine.

My opinion of these recent Zelda games is very interesting. I LOVE the old school style Ocarina, Majora, Wind Waker etc. When I first played Breath of The Wild I was PISSED. It wasn’t Zelda. Too much climbing. Not enought story. Uninspired bosses. Beautiful world though. Then I played it again with a different mindset. I stopped going after the story and just “living” in the world. stared at the sunrise in it as Link, took a boat along the river just for the hell of it, figured out interesting ways to kill the bokoblins. Then it clicked. I went back to playing Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, enjoying it as always, and let go of my hatred of how they changed the Zelda game.

Then TOTK came out. Same mindset. What an amazing adventure just to LIVE IN. But this time they FILLED it with stuff to do, people to talk to and help, tons of variety, a living breathing world instead of just a barren but beautiful world. And so far, much more story! I also am not an imaginative person and like linear stories with set pieces. Never liked building things. But this game is turning me into a tinkering with items kind of guy. The tedious rock climbing is practically gone with the ascend ability. If you look at this game as almost a virtual reality game, it’ll click. If you treat it as a traditional Zelda with the destination as the goal and not the journey, it can be very tedious. Just “live” in Hyrule with it. It turns the game into an experienc. Just my thoughts.

EruditeHobo

It wasn’t Zelda. Too much climbing. Not enought story. Uninspired bosses. Beautiful world though.

Yeah... this about sums it up for me too. I haven't gotten to TOTK, but BOTW is a very cool, interesting, weird, fun game. It has a great world, I agree, and the way things interact within those worlds is pretty amazing. But it's not a great Zelda game... at least not judging by the best of what has come before, what it has previously meant to be a great Zelda game. So anyone expecting/wanting/caring about what it means to really desire to play a "proper" Zelda game -- like me -- is almost certain to be disappointed by BOTW.

I'm encouraged by your 2nd paragraph... I'll try TOTK one day and hopefully it feels like a real growth of the formula, more inclusive of what I consider to be classic, "proper" Zelda.

Last edited:

nikos

The last first party Nintendo game I genuinely enjoyed was Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

There have been some good games since but nothing I played extensively and certainly not anything that would win GOTY for me.

The last first party Nintendo game I genuinely enjoyed was Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

There have been some good games since but nothing I played extensively and certainly not anything that would win GOTY for me.
i need to try that one. I really got into the 3ds one when it first came out but for some reason never tried the switch one.
The last Switch game that hooked me like crazy was metroid dread. Man that gameplay really hooks you. As the game goes on you become a master of the controls and gain all these abilities that makes you feel like someone who learnt the piano and became a master piano player. You become an artist controlling samus. Not sure if that makes sense.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I mean, TOTK is absolutely amazing. But there won't be anything else on that level from Nintendo this year, so eh.

I mean, TOTK is absolutely amazing. But there won't be anything else on that level from Nintendo this year, so eh.
Yeah true. And there wont be for a few years at least. But when you look at the competition for 2023 though, is anyone getting ahead of Nintendo? I don’t think so.

Woopah

Wonderful breakdown. I’ll tell you what, if they announce a Ocarina Of Time remake by Grezzo, I remember rumors swirling about that, especially since there is references from that in Tears of The Kingdom, I will lose my shit!

quCj4dm.jpg
Grezzo already remade OoT for the 3DS so I'd say it's far far too early for the to do it again. Id much prefer a new 2D Zelda or a new IP.
I sure hope so, Nintendo haven't published enough new IP since 2019.

Mr Branding

I'm wishing for more games for their online. I missed their N64, Gamecube, Wii generations so having games from that era on Switch or Switch 2 would be great for me. Re-releasing Soul Calibur 2 on a Gamecube emulator for online would rock so hard as I've only played the ps2 version and it's one of my favourite fighting games.

MagnesD3

TOTK is so overrated I just can't
BOTW and TOTK are both very overrated, they are both great games but they just aren't very deep. They have very deep technical system going on but don't ever ask anything of the player because "muh sandbox freedom" and combat/material loop is a mid circle that becomes more aggregous the more you participate in it. There's nothing as satisfying as a 3d Zelda dungeon in there and there just too much mid bloat material in these games.

Yes the World Design was great in BOTW and I believe that the Zonai Tools from TOTK (It's really just a better BOTW in evey way but pacing) are really fun but the complete cohesive package is what is lacking when compared to OG Zelda content. BOTW/TOTK is like a massive mound of tasty finger food where something like OoT or TP is a full course delicious meal you will never forget.

Last edited:

gamer82

just playing tears of the kingdom on my swith lite the past 2 days i seem to be enjoyng this more than botw , it does suck you in lol maybe i will need to revisit botw later. My wish for the next itteration in handheld is making it look more sharper, i can live with it for now no sense in getting a switch again this late in the game and i notice some areas of the game on switch lite seem overly bright just my nit pick i'd like to see improved.

Last edited:
Top Bottom