• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Trademarks Potential DS Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

GigaDrive

Banned
Sorry, mods please delete. already posted (i found the other thread on this)

I'm surprised no one caught this and posted it here.... didn't see it here anyway.

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1610115,00.asp

Nintendo Trademarks Potential DS Names
By David Smith
6/10/2004

In one of the more amusing updates to the Japanese patent and trademark database (reported lately by Quiter), Nintendo has submitted trademark applications for some nine total sets of three initials. In each case, two of the intials are G and B -- standing for Game and Boy, of course -- while the third varies.
The selection suggests that Nintendo is trademarking some of its proposed names for the dual-screened DS handheld, since it's generally assumed that "Nintendo DS" is only a working designation for the hardware. Alternatively, if you're of a conspiratorial mind, Nintendo has already settled on a name, and it's submitting multiple trademark applications to camouflage its choice.

ADVERTISEMENT

The initialisms, the applications for which all went in on March 19, are as follows:

DGB
EGB
GBD
GBE
GBN
GBY
TGB
WGB
XGB
For fun, try coming up with the names that might be compressed down into those initials -- "DGB" might be "Dual Game Boy," while "XGB" might be "Game Boy XTREME~!" In the meantime, we'll continue to bring any and all updates on the progress of the DS project.

this will add a lot of fuel to the fire to the belief that DS is the next Gameboy. even so, DS isn't the direct sucessor to GBA. that will be another Gameboy.....

btw, I like Extreme Game Boy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom