• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo wanted to rebrand Mario

Holammer

Jared Knabenbauer, some internet celebrity known as ProJared shares an interesting insight into how Nintendo at one point in time wanted to distance Mario from his Plumber origin and background, transform him into an everyman.

This was during E3 2013, a decade ago. It was during the "Year of Luigi", and Nintendo was creating a video all about Luigi with YouTubers showing up as "experts" weighing in on how amazing Luigi is as he does parkour. Whatever. Not important. 2/10

There was no script for the video or anything, just the broad idea of Luigi Does Parkour and Everyone Says He's Awesome. So everything myself and others said in the video is unscripted. They basically told us to come up with whatever on the fly and just improvise. So we did 3/10

However, after I made some joke about how his ability to traverse any obstacle in life was second only to his deft hands on a plunger, they immediately stopped me and called cut. "You actually can't say that part." "What?" a confused me asked. 4/10

They then explained. Nintendo wanted to quietly and subtly 'phase out' the idea of Mario and Luigi being plumbers. They wanted the Bros. to be even more of an everyman by not even letting them have a specified occupation. 5/10

They basically wanted to get the world to slowly forget about their plumber origins, something has been so directly tied to their identity since the Mario Bros. arcade game. 6/10

It wasn't just that though. We also were not allowed to mention anything about Mario and Luigi being from Brooklyn. Their origin was to become nebulous by intent. We also couldn't say anything about them being Italian! Nothing about their favorite foods or accents. 7/10

Ever notice how much "less Italian" Mario started sounding starting about 2010 or so? Compare his brief sound clips and dialogue these days to how he sounded in Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, or Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. Less and less Italian. 8/10

The three main defining characteristics of the Mario Bros., and Nintendo wanted them all to go fade away. Now this may have been their plan in 2013, and clearly, it didn't stick. The first thing they do in Super Mario 3D World is fix a pipe. 9/10

And obviously, the Mario Movie makes it clear they are plumbers. This is just what almost was. There's a timeline out there where Mario & Luigi got homogenized and some of their most defining and endearing traits erased from history. /
🧵

flying_sq

What does Nintendo think a plumber is? They are every day men, also I don't plan on seeing the movie, but they should have made it more like the little commercial the screenshot is from. Peach with a Long Island accent, and the Mario bros as plumbers in the 5 boroughs would be a pretty neat movie.

Power Pro

Is that the guy who was preying on young girls or something? Or was it all fake etc. I can’t remember
Can we not act like reeeera, and stop thinking we need to follow cancel culture? Just goes to show how fucking toxic it is that even when he turned it around and called out all the bull shit (with receipts) against him. People still remember the attempt at cancelation rather than how it was all bull shit, hence hurting someone's livelihood even when they're innocent.

The most he's guilty of is sharing dick pics with consenting adults, and having a bitch of an ex-wife who tried to turn their divorce into a public spectacle.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Can we not act like reeeera, and stop thinking we need to follow cancel culture? Just goes to show how fucking toxic it is that even when he turned it around and called out all the bull shit (with receipts) against him. People still remember the attempt at cancelation rather than how it was all bull shit, hence hurting someone's livelihood even when they're innocent.

The most he's guilty of is sharing dick pics with consenting adults, and having a bitch of an ex-wife who tried to turn their divorce into a public spectacle.
This.

TrueLegend

Nintendo has always been a lunatic company for the most part. They have mad strategies. They themselves don't know them for most part. But you know....they got lawyers, and in this world only lawyers dictate who is a loon or not.

Calverz

I see. Thanks for the rundown.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Does anyone relate to Mario? No one sees themselves in Mario, they see Mario in Mario. He runs and jumps in a colourful world, defeats Bowser, and save Peach. But at the same time, everyone knows Mario is the Italian plumber. Phasing that out takes away part of (I know this sounds different in 2023) his identity.

Not that him being a plumber is ever really relevant, but if he is ever the answer to a quiz question it usually involves something along the lines of Italian plumber.

Top Bottom