• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo World Report: Tales of Symphonia Remaster is Worse than the Original

Shifty1897

That Switch version is a technical disaster. If Nintendo had any balls they'd remove it from sale on the eShop until it is patched.

Last edited:

jonnyXx

FpCyKZ1WAAEymmr
Nice.

Drell

• Metroid Prime on Gamecube:
    • 480p
    • Constant 60fps
    • Top notch graphics for the console (and really not bad for its time)
    • No major bugs/glitches
  • Metroid Prime on Switch:
    • 900p
    • Constant 60fps
    • Top notch graphics for the console including:
      • Reworked models
      • Reworked textures
      • Reworked lighting
    • Still no major bugs/glitches

• Tales of Symphonia on Gamecube:
    • 480p
    • 60fps with some dips
    • Nice cell-shaded 3D but not the most technical game on the GC
    • No major bugs
  • Tales of Symphonia on the Switch
    • 1080p
    • constant (I hope) 30fps
    • No major graphical rework
    • Including new bugs/glitches
The only thing this "remaster" has is 1080p, but it's running a freaking basic Gamecube game with no improvement and framerate downgrade. Namco Bandai did no effort at all for this remaster and it's a shame. Of course I'm not asking for every remaster to be the same quality as Metroid Prime which is top notch. And I know it's based on the PS2 code. But I don't know, maybe after all these years they could fix that framerate. They did it on Vesperia (well except for the switch) which was partially a 30 FPS title, and it was a port from the XBox 360. So why can't they just take just a little bit of time to rework their ported PS2 engine to fix this stupid framerate cap?

Reactions: Fbh
Honestly, having grown up with the GC version... the framerate never bothered me when I played ToS on Steam last year. It was never an issue during gameplay, only some cinematics were super choppy. And the extra content is well worth it, too (Mystic Artes for everyone, and the extra floors/fights in the cursed book dungeon).
After all this time, it is still easily one of my favourite games ever, either in 30 or 60fps.

daveonezero

Banned
I think Vesperia is the better option on Switch. It looks and runs great and is probably the better game. That’s what I’ve been playing for a while now.

Both stories are ridiculously long and eventually get so muddled they don’t matter.

Plus I like my party that is made up of actual adults and a dog….

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Maybe I'm thinking of the sequel but I could have sworn Lloyd was voiced during the skits....

Edit: anyone else experiencing weird formatting issues when posting?

Last edited:

Doom85

Maybe I'm thinking of the sequel but I could have sworn Lloyd was voiced during the skits....

I might be remembering wrong, but the GC version was voiceless skits, and the few posts I dug up seem to confirm this.

It’s why IIRC I was blown away by Vesperia having voiced skits because I don’t remember Symphonia or Abyss having them.

Chastten

Banned
I might be remembering wrong, but the GC version was voiceless skits, and the few posts I dug up seem to confirm this.

It’s why IIRC I was blown away by Vesperia having voiced skits because I don’t remember Symphonia or Abyss having them.
You're remembering right.

I had the same experience playing Vesperia

Kokoloko85

I dont understand how hard it is to remaster games like Chrono Cross and this… pull your fingers out your cheap arses and the head out the sand…

kiphalfton

[Game is mediocre at best, I played the GC version day 1 and had to force myself to finish it, didn't care for any char.

Nothing of value lost, IMO.

For a game that is "mediocre at best", somehow to this day it is still viewed as one of [if not] the best "Tales of" games; a series that people seem to love?

LMAO

Last edited:

K' Dash

For a game that is "mediocre at best", somehow to this day it is still viewed as one of [if not] the best "Tales of" games; a series that people seem to love?

LMAO

then I weep for what is considered today as "one of the best", the game is boring, the chars are really bad, the combat gets old quickly and the story is boring as hell.

My favorite is still Phantasia 🤷‍♂️

cireza

Banned
They must have had a better budget and source codes.
You actually have no clue about that. On contrary, the project was most probably heavily time constrained, with a small team and maybe no access to the source code. This is always how it ends up with these remasters of old games by third parties. You can see it coming miles ahead.

Publishers don't want to take the risk and don't want to waste their internal time and resources. They are going to outsource this to whatever unknown developer team is willing to try something for the ridiculously low budget they are going to give, and call it a day.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

You actually have no clue about that. On contrary, the project was most probably heavily time constrained, with a small team and maybe no access to the source code. This is always how it ends up with these remasters of old games by third parties. You can see it coming miles ahead.

Publishers don't want to take the risk and don't want to waste their internal time and resources. They are going to outsource this to whatever unknown developer team is willing to try something for the ridiculously low budget they are going to give, and call it a day.

I mean if you have proof Id love to read about it, but Im pretty sure they had a better budget than an emuator. Wouldnt be surprised though
Im not saying its an amazing budget and clearly not enough but the team must have been dog shit either way

Fbh

The PS2 version never supported 60fps. Any port built from the PS2 codebase will be 30fps.

So? That's their problem.
I don't really care if they "lost the source code" or some other excuse. Ultimately no one forced them to release this "remaster" and IMO if your re release of a 20 years old game runs substantially worse than the original version then it's a shit product.

There's native PC ports of Ps2 games made by fans that run at 4K 60fps. So I don't buy that this crappy remaster is the best a multi billion dollar company could do.

theclaw135

Banned
I can't disagree on what I've heard about the quality of the port, though in this particular instance the PS2 version is the "original" version.
This remaster has nothing to do with the Gamecube.

DeVeAn

The problem I see is there is no standard as to what a remaster is in video games. Look at Metroid Prime. That seems closer to a remake. This is a poor man’s port job. The game looks and runs better in Dolphin simply rendering in 4K. It’s so easy to run this on Xbox Series through emulators.

I just remembered this games terrible repeat loop battle music, and that nonsense with the tower later. Was a disappointing purchase that I was convinced to buy because of all the people buying into the hype it would save the Gamecube.

'Meowwwwwww, meow meow meow meowwwwwww' literally what the battle theme sounds like and I don't recall it changing once the entire game sans bosses.

I've never touched a Tales game since.

Sucks the remaster isn't very good because I was tempted to retry it to see if it was as bad as I remember.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
they had a better budget than an emuator
Emulators are made by people working for free over an infinite period of time. How does this translate I terms of budget when people cost the company 400$ per working day ?

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I bought this since i never played the original , so far the major issue i have are the loading times ,but..

i don't get a few things, how do you change characters in battle?how do you use different Arts? i can only use one Attack but apparently there are multiple button combinations

And one of the characters stopped moving in battles, he no longer does anything 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Mistake

I have every version of this game. Unless there is a good reason to buy it again, I’m probably going to skip it. Even if they do a patch, I doubt it’s going to amount to much

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The problem I see is there is no standard as to what a remaster is in video games. Look at Metroid Prime. That seems closer to a remake. This is a poor man’s port job. The game looks and runs better in Dolphin simply rendering in 4K. It’s so easy to run this on Xbox Series through emulators.
"Remasters are really popular right now we should do one for Tales of Symphonia"
"How will we remaster it?"
"We will write remaster on the box"
"Should we do a new logo?"
"Nah just write 'remaster' on the old ones with a sharpie, but don't use the good sharpies"

I just finished up the first game on my super Famicom and I’m hooked. Never gave this series a chance. I purchased Vesperia on switch and Arise on PS5 since they were on sale. If this gets a proper patch I’ll probably snag it.

I bought this since i never played the original , so far the major issue i have are the loading times ,but..

i don't get a few things, how do you change characters in battle?how do you use different Arts? i can only use one Attack but apparently there are multiple button combinations

And one of the characters stopped moving in battles, he no longer does anything 🤷🏻‍♂️
To switch character during battle, open the battle menu then... I think it's one of the triggers? Just be thankful you're not playing Vesperia, where you need to unlock this basic functionality lol.

To use Artes, you press the Arte button while holding a direction on the left stick. You can configure up to 4 Artes you can use in battle this way (neutral, left/right, up, down) in the Arte menu for your character, plus "shortcuts" (on the right stick iirc) to ask another character to use a specific Arte (very useful for setting up huge combos, or control when your healer will use her healing spells for example).

If one of your characters stopped doing anything in battle, you probably put them in "manual" or "semi-auto" mode instead of "auto", which would make them be controlled by another player instead of the AI. Go to their Artes menu and check at the top right.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

To switch character during battle, open the battle menu then... I think it's one of the triggers? Just be thankful you're not playing Vesperia, where you need to unlock this basic functionality lol.

To use Artes, you press the Arte button while holding a direction on the left stick. You can configure up to 4 Artes you can use in battle this way (neutral, left/right, up, down) in the Arte menu for your character, plus "shortcuts" (on the right stick iirc) to ask another character to use a specific Arte (very useful for setting up huge combos, or control when your healer will use her healing spells for example).

If one of your characters stopped doing anything in battle, you probably put them in "manual" or "semi-auto" mode instead of "auto", which would make them be controlled by another player instead of the AI. Go to their Artes menu and check at the top right.
Thank you!

Using Artes,changing party members
in battle and stuff has been a mess for me 😅 because i been pressing all buttons hoping for something to happen ,but only ended with a zombie character,i thought Artes were supposed to be used with D pad or something , the Manual book says nothing 🧐

Last edited:

DeVeAn

They still have the subtitles box in the middle of the screen after finishing a battle? That always bothered me and you can’t turn it off.

This effort really bums me out. Multiple chances to make a legit remaster and AI upscale is what we get.

DavJay

Switch version is the hot mess dumpster fire. The other two version ps4 and Xbox are almost identical to the PS3 releases.

Naked Lunch

This is a story we keep seeing - time and time again. Game after game.
There was a poster just the other day ranting about switch's F-Zero X's poor emulation - even now months after release.

So glad I cleaned up my consoles and went the original hardware, CRT/upscaler route.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Fix the framerate (by which I mean make it 60 again), or I'm still out. I don't buy the excuse that because the PS2 version was 30 all future versions for the rest of time also have to be. Get in there and fix whatever it is that was changed between the GCN original and the PS2 port that limits it to 30, it cannot literally be impossible. You just have to not be lazy.

Jinjo

We fucked up. Please Understand.

Correction: We *KNOWINGLY* fucked up. And we are sorry that this is getting so much attention it is affecting our sales. Please buy our game anyway, as we promise you this patch.

Any reports on how the PS4 version performs by the way?

Top Bottom