• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo would be dumb to not do this for their next-gen console

Do you think this makes sense?

• Yes, this makes sense.

• Shut up.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Raploz

I got this idea after replying to another thread

There I said Nintendo will most likely continue with the Switch formula but just add another kind of gimmick to entice customers to upgrade.

Turns out there's something very obvious they could add to their next-gen console. I'll elaborate:

During the Wii U era they invested heavily on the gamepad. They came up with a technology to wirelessly stream video with a very low latency to it.

Then we got the Switch, an evolution that completely solved most issues people had with the Wii U. Mainly the inability to take the gamepad everywhere.

Well, one of the current limitations of the Switch is that you need to physically connect it to the dock. Westerners are lazy. We don't want to get our fat azz out of the couch to plug the console to the dock. As smart japanese people, they know that.

Well, see where I'm going with this?

Nintendo executives are cheapskates. They don't want to invest in a technology and not milk it for decades. That's what they've been doing with motion controls for years, so there's precedent for that. They won't abandon a good technology they developed. Unused R&D is wasted money, and wasted money is no good.

Well, now we come to the part where I reveal what I teased on the title:

Next-gen Switch/whatever will have a wireless dock. They'll use an improved version of the wireless video tech they developed for Wii U, but instead of sending the signal to the console it will send it to your TV with a very low latency. You'll likely be able to charge the system on the dock still, but you won't need to connect it to the dock to see an image on your screen.

This is not some kind of alien technology either, it already exists and can probably be done cheaply enough in a couple of years:

They have the technology, the patents, and they already spent money developing it to a failed console. They would be dumb to not use that technology in their favor.

What do you think?

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
giphy.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How about making non-wireless dock that actually has its own processing unit? That way, handheld mode could be 720p with really low power consumption but when plugged into the dock it'll be capable of running that same software in 4K.

Sgt.Asher

Could work, they would need to use a similar wi-fi tech they used for the wii u gamepad. Shame they didn't keep it, i miss the super low input latency.

Fbh

Nah thx, sounds cool but nintendo make overpriced peripherals with shit tier quality.

I don't want to have to replace a $200 hdmi dongle if it has issues.

And Nintendo is usually very profit focused and won't sell consoles at a loss. If they want to stay within a similar price point than the Switch I'd rather have them focusing on the actual hardware instead of either making the switch 2 needlessly expensive or having to cut back on other areas to fit in this feature.

TLZ

Banned
What is the point though? If you're playing on TV, why do you need the Switch in your hands for? And if it's sitting somewhere, might as well dock and charge it. Also wired would give you better, guaranteed picture quality. Wireless streaming would deteriorate the quality.

Boss Man

The Nintendo Switch U will be familiar to users of the Nintendo Switch, except that new games will only be playable on the Switch U and all games will have exclusive content tied to Funko Pops. 1080p. There’s a new Kirby Yarn at launch and Smash Bros is in development. Please be excited.

They’re at their best with fun gimmicks, IMO. Best case is a totally new kind of system that also works with the Switch in some way.

Last edited:

sachos

What i wish they do is to make a home console only version of the Switch 2, games of course would still be developed with the portable version in mind but the home console version would be strong enough to iron out the resolution and framerate issues that the portable version may have.

Anchovie123

Why bother making display cable wireless if power is still wired 😃
I was literally just about to comment this lol. If you still need to plug in or dock it to charge then OPs idea is kinda unnecessary.

What they could do is figure out a way to make it easier to dock. Maybe a wireless charging pad, or a magnetic connector.

Reactions: TLZ

nocsi

So why add anything physical when most smart TVs can be casted to already? But yea, bring on another generation of Nintendo @1080p, but this time with shitty streamed artifacts.

Kilau

Gold Member
Nintendo didn’t “come up” with any streaming technology for the gamepad. It’s wireless N with proprietary software for Nintendo’s gamepad connection.

Katajx

Gold Member
Whatever their next device is will always be limited in some sense by the battery and the form factor.

That’s not to say it can’t be a good or great experience. I loved my time with mine because of the earlier games, but I’m also a bit disappointed.

I thought BOTW and Mario Kart were amazing when they came out and I couldn’t wait to see iterations made just for the switch.

I was hoping to see the improvement from other platforms where you see the early Gen games and then don’t believe the later ones could be made on the same device.

I don’t think it has the hardware to deliver much of a difference on a technical level.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
iPhone and iPad already have air play and whatever you do on your device gets mirrored on the tv. It won’t at all feel innovative since Apple does it better.

I want the return of clamshell design and stylus with 3D and docking.

jaysius

Banned
So many issues, Nintendo almost always plays the tech safe as possible, the WiiU Dummy terminal tablet was a lot flakey with connection, but they won't go there again unless it's nailed down.

ALSO with Nintendo as seen with the WiiU they are cheap as fuck, so if you have a gimmicky technology then the power will have to suffer as they like to see BIG PROFITS which means cutting edge and niche style things like wireless video might not be in their future anytime soon, or you'll get another console that's painfully underpowered like Switch... AGAIN... AGAIN.

In a world where Nintendo cared more about making a solid product over all the monies they can get, then they might embrace this idea.

Nintendo SHOULD have this tech in their new consoles. There's a 5% chance they will.

I still hold out hope that they'll make a console that can compete with current gen hardware(PS5/Series S|X). Chances of that happening are probably better than them embracing some new tech that seems expensive and possibly flakey with random scenarios.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
There doesn't exist a game that benefits from a second screen.
Many DS games and The Wind Waker HD want a word with you.
Asymmetric gameplay in single-player games wasn’t easy to implement and mostly failed. But stuff like Nintendo Land was brilliant, and games like TWWHD unquestionably benefited from having a separate menu screen.

As per OP’s idea, why not go further? The next Switch may have:
1) the portable console for handheld gaming
2) wireless connection to any TV via an app/dongle, to play on any TV without having to take a dock along (at the cost of having performance equal to, or slightly improved than what you get in pure handheld mode)
3) a wired dock that actually improves the performance.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Nintendo absolutely do not need to put any time/effort/money into something that prevents people from getting up off the couch and walking to their TV.

This is almost as lazy as the people who go digital because they "hate changing discs".

Certinty

I'm totally with you, if anything if I could connect the Switch wirelessly to my TV I would probably play on my TV a lot more than I ever do right now.

Top Bottom