• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo would be dumb to not do this for their next-gen console

Do you think this makes sense?

• Yes, this makes sense.

• Shut up.

Results are only viewable after voting.

daclynk

Nintendo and technology does not go along.
so much wrong with this statement,
they made the first glasses free 3d display system
they made motion control system
they made the rumble pack
they made the touch screen gaming system
oh what else am i forgetting?
so no people forget that, the Nintendo Wii was when Nintendo stop the power race,
Power is not equal to tech.

BlackTron

What is the point of having a dock at all then? May as well "wirelessly" stream directly between the device and TV with a dongle. Now you want TWO wireless steps -for what benefit?

Not that the idea is very good anyway. Not much has changed since people were musing about Nintendo on the playground in the 90s...

People are going upgrade because it has a wireless dock lol, good thing u don't work for nintendo. Its going have 10 min battery life as well right.

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

Reactions: TLZ

Ev1L AuRoN

The console needs to be price effective, the money spent to eliminate the HDMI would be better used improving the hardware. The Dock also charge the system and receive accessories, There Will be cables anyway.

For a new Switch all I want is 16Gb RAM a better Soc with some type of upscaling tech that can up bring the games to a more pleasant quality when blown out on a smart TV. A VRR capable screen makes sense also.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
All they need to do is beef up the internals of the Switch, slap a 2 on it, and give it exclusive games. Maybe some small hardware changes like we got with the OLED model (better screen/improved speakers).

Of course, this is Nintendo so they'll do something completely different.
The console needs to be price effective, the money spent to eliminate the HDMI would be better used improving the hardware. The Dock also charge the system and receive accessories, There Will be cables anyway.

For a new Switch all I want is 16Gb RAM a better Soc with some type of upscaling tech that can up bring the games to a more pleasant quality when blown out on a smart TV. A VRR capable screen makes sense also.
If cost/battery life isn't an issue then yeah VRR would be nice but it's not really something I would prioritise for a handheld device with a small screen.

Nintendo should definitely be looking to get DLSS on their next console. Not necessarily for handheld but for docked. A game could run at 1080p handheld and then DLSS would boost it to 2160p when docked. It's perfect for Switch.

ManaByte

Gold Member

People don't understand that Nintendo designs their consoles to be profitable from Day 1. They won't take a loss on hardware. They're building a money bin next to their HQ!

Many DS games and The Wind Waker HD want a word with you.
Asymmetric gameplay in single-player games wasn’t easy to implement and mostly failed. But stuff like Nintendo Land was brilliant, and games like TWWHD unquestionably benefited from having a separate menu screen.
I can't think of a single DS game that couldn't have worked on any other system with a touch screen. I played Wind Waker HD and thought the stuff on the gamepad was awkward and clunky, moreso than the traditional menus the original had. Shifting your view from one screen to another just doesn't feel fluid and for me it was often uncomfortable. Having all the relevant information on a single screen is superior IMO.

Sounds cool but I'm not sure I see the point for most users. A wireless dock would introduce image degradation, lag, and increase cost of production. I can't see Nintendo doing this as they want to make money on each console sold.

I wouldn't rule it out but I think the Switch 2 will likely be the same thing as the Switch with a more powerful APU & a few QoL improvements.

• Thoughtful

yurinka

I think Nintendo's next console will be Switch 2. Like the first one but with more horsepower, with exclusive games but BC with Switch 1.

I think the tech specs sawn for "Switch Pro" are for "Switch 2". No extra gimmicks this time, the same but slightly more powerful to have 4K visuals.

Westerners are lazy. We don't want to get our fat azz out of the couch to plug the console to the dock. As smart japanese people, they know that.
You sound like an ancient Japanese culture expert

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Or... make a dock that has decent, not mobile hardware and would stream the content to the handheld ?

Oh shit, that's the Wii U.

Last edited:

mutt765

In an ideal world its a good idea but the tech's not there. There's a ton of data to transmit when rendering graphics in real time, as opposed to a compressed mp4 file. Add the controller inputs to that and you're gonna get input lag.

dog lag GIF

Shubh_C63

Really neat, maybe for Switch 3.

For Switch Tooie, just an overall boring hardware upgrade is not at all boring.

Ozriel

M$FT
How about making non-wireless dock that actually has its own processing unit? That way, handheld mode could be 720p with really low power consumption but when plugged into the dock it'll be capable of running that same software in 4K.

And then the Switch 2 will cost $499 and docks will be $200. No thanks !

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
And then the Switch 2 will cost $499 and docks will be $200. No thanks !
With no end in sight to either rampant inflation or chip shortages, we'll be lucky to get a Switch 2 (in any form) for less than $500.

00_Zer0

A pipe dream I know, but If the next Switch or dock had some wireless technology built in it, it would be interesting if they made a VR headset that would take advantage of this. Or better yet have multiple input devices that accept the wireless signal in your home. Things like VR googles with only the wireless display tech inside, a DS shell with screens only, a 3DS shell, or a Wii U pad etc. The Switch and or dock could do all the heavy lifting and anything display related could be a fraction of the cost of buying a Switch 2. Of course this won't happen but a fella can dream.

Last edited:

Banned
the Wii U gamepad video signal was an analog 480p video signal.

it's not entirely obvious that they could improve that to be a 720p or even 1080p analog signal.

maybe they can, but I kinda doubt it. and you need it to be a strong analog signal or you will have latency, that's why in Drone racing they also use analog video glasses

a digital signal would most likely introduce significant lag. I don't know any wireless digital video stream that doesn't introduce noticeable input lag.

even Steam Remote play over a wired ethernet connection has noticeable latency, not bad but noticeable, over wifi it is very noticeable latency.

so tl;dr I doubt they can increase the 480p analog Signal to an HD signal, and going with digital streaming would introduce lag

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
Wireless dock technology will give us the ultimate Wii U experience! That was the plan all along! It all makes sense now!
You are deluded. Wireless dock would be the biggest gimmick ever because it still needs a cable for power.

Banned
You are deluded. Wireless dock would be the biggest gimmick ever because it still needs a cable for power.

well I guess the idea would be that you could just have the switch lying on your table, press a button and then have it display on the TV

maybe even use the Switch screen itself like the Wii U gamepad while playing on the TV.

or maybe the new dock is a wirless charging pad that automatically displays a wireless signal to the TV as soon as you lay down the console ontop of the pad.

I don't think that would be an entirely bad idea, but as I stated above, my concerns are more that this is technically either impossible or very hard to pull off especially at a decent price.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I'd rather have the $$$ spent on something that contributes to the gaming capabilities.

I have no experience with the switch, is it cumbersome in some way to put the console in the cradle?

DaGwaphics

well I guess the idea would be that you could just have the switch lying on your table, press a button and then have it display on the TV

maybe even use the Switch screen itself like the Wii U gamepad while playing on the TV.

or maybe the new dock is a wirless charging pad that automatically displays a wireless signal to the TV as soon as you lay down the console ontop of the pad.

I don't think that would be an entirely bad idea, but as I stated above, my concerns are more that this is technically either impossible or very hard to pull off especially at a decent price.

The possibility of using the portable screen in combination with the TV does sound like something Nintendo might consider, they love their dual screens. Hadn't thought of that.

Banned
The possibility of using the portable screen in combination with the TV does sound like something Nintendo might consider, they love their dual screens. Hadn't thought of that.

yeah but like I saidy that would be almost impossible to do in a compelling way.

a 1080p analog video, sent to an HDMI dongle is just not a realistic scenario imo

ZoukGalaxy

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Not even a chance. They would be actually dumb to add it, like, it's not even useful: just add to the next Switch a existing tech to directly stream to the screen then ? (Spoil: it won't happen).

Seriously, total waste. What were you thinking ?!

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
What I would really love though is BC with 3DS. Put the cart in the Switch 2 and play on TV. Ooh boy.

But I know that'll never happen. :(

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It doesn't need to have a dock, just some kind of TV out like the PSP Go had, make it run the same performance universally with a fully clocked chip and up to a 4K image either sent to TV, wired or wirelessly, or downsampled to its own 1080p screen (whether it's achieved natively - probably not so often - or requires some AMD FSR type techniques is up to the dev). Just make its built in stand neater and/or provide stand accessories that don't really enable any new functions, just so it looks nice when played on the TV/tabletop with the controllers detached (and so it still counts as "switching"). I guess it could have some battery saving options for portable that would maybe cap framerate to 40fps a la Steam Deck or similar but otherwise the same performance across modes. I guess since it's Nvidia it could maybe just be a pure 1080p or 1440p machine when portable then utilize some tensor type hardware that is unused when portable and enhances the image for 4K displays with DLSS when played on a TV and the performance is otherwise identical + the option to have DLSS -> downsampling for portable as an AA feature if you don't care for the battery life taking a hit from it.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I noticed whatever is recommended to Nintendo they do a complete 180 they’ll help switch stick around.

Elysion

Banned
I‘d rather have 3d again. It‘s been more than a decade since the 3DS was introduced, so I‘m sure a newer, high-res parallax screen would have an amazing 3d effect, far superior to the 3DS. Just like with motion controls on the Wii, I felt 3d on the 3DS, despite being a cool idea, was a bit undercooked, since Nintendo probably went with the cheapest 3d screen they could find, which led to the 3DS being extremely low res.

But more than a decade has passed since then, so by now it shouldn’t be too hard to put a modern 3d screen with a decent resolution on a handheld without paying too much. Just imagine the next Mario Kart in 3d @1080p (or even just 720p). It would look amazing. The biggest downside would be that you‘d only have the 3d effect in handheld mode…

Switch 2:

1080p docked and a 1080p screen if you're lucky.

Maybe PS4 Pro in power.

Same format as current Switch, will play original Switch games.

Anything more would just make it less portable and more expensive.

Paulistano

so much wrong with this statement,
they made the first glasses free 3d display system
they made motion control system
they made the rumble pack
they made the touch screen gaming system
oh what else am i forgetting?
so no people forget that, the Nintendo Wii was when Nintendo stop the power race,
Power is not equal to tech.
This just proves that Nintendo is gimmick queen, who cares about 3d, touch and motion in games.

Top Bottom