• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh: Complete Edition PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
niohcesysreqssjs9l.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Enable letterboxing on 21:9 displays: Open your GPU driver control panel and disable scaling. (Credit to TheWordyGuy.)
View keyboard layout: Click here. (Credit to Kalik.)
Significantly reduce install size: Use CompactGUI to compress the game installation folder. (Credit to ImminentFate @ Github via Echoplx.)
Enable support for 5:4, 4:3, 16:10, 21:9, 48:9 and 48:10 resolutions: Use this tool. (Credit to jackfuste @ WSGF via Skyebaron.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Setting type (preset): Very Low Quality; Action; Cinematic; Highest Quality; Custom
Screen resolution: Self-explanatory
Rendering resolution: Low; Medium; High (native)
Shadows: Off; Low Quality; Medium Quality; High Quality
Framerate cap: 30fps/60fps
Display mode: Windowed; Borderless; Fullscreen
Ambient occlusion: Off/On
Camera motion blur: Off/On
Dynamic reflections: Off/On

JaseC

I can't wait.

JaseC, are you likely to post these threads elsewhere?

I also post them on Reset Era if that's what you're asking, but I didn't want to flood the forum with potentially useless threads (I've made over 40 of them in total) and decided to limit the reposts to those I'd created in October (and the one for CoD:WWII since it was releasing soon). Earlier ones will be recreated if people want them.

Edit: Oh, and the Destiny 2 thread, of course.

D65

Neo Member
I also post them on Reset Era if that's what you're asking, but I didn't want to flood the forum with potentially useless threads (I've made over 40 of them in total) and decided to limit the reposts to those I'd created in October (and the one for CoD:WWII since it was releasing soon). Earlier ones will be recreated if people want them.

I don't know if it is kosher but because this game is Team Ninja etc. I would love for this to be posted there.

JaseC

I don't know if it is kosher but because this game is Team Ninja etc. I would love for this to be posted there.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't very clear: I also make new ones on RE. I'm more active on there than here. The RE version of this thread went up first, in fact. ;)

thePrince

Neo Member
crossing fingers the port is good,the game look just right up my alley

this could fill up the void the souls games left in me

Naliem

I hope this doesn't run like shit on AMD. I'm running a R9 Fury and a 4670k, getting 1080 and solid 60 is enough, but the japanese devs scare me...

Aztorian

Damn those requirements. Was hoping my i5 4460 and GTX970 would last longer than this. Is the pc version on higher settings this demanding or is it just a poor port?

TitusTroy

please report on your experiences playing with kb/m...I'm a huge Dark Souls fan but cannot in good conscience buy Nioh if it doesn't have basic PC input functionality

There was a very small glimpse of hope...
Oh, definitely. You just have to figure Koei-Tecmo/Team Ninja will eventually start giving a consistent damn about their PC ports (and to be fair, IMO there's been some okay ones). It feels inevitable, that's just the way things generally work, but with this publisher it's always a roll of the dice for some unfathomable reason.

We can already safely assume even unannounced games like DOA6 will get middling ports. If it turns out great instead, it will be a pleasant surprise and that's crazy.

Sentenza

Well, at least you can tell that PC port is not great or at least not working extremely well for a majority of people who bought the game.
No, i can't (yet), because until I read what's the common criticism it could easily be something as idiotic as "The game is better with a controller -> bad port", or "The game fails to keep 60 fps at 8K with MSAA8X on -> Terrible optimization".

This is the level of Steam's "mixed reactions" these days.

Shifty

Ach, this might have been an impulse buy if things were sounding good. Hopefully we'll see some sort of conclusive reason as to why performance is seemingly all over the place for different people.

Such a shame that KT still can't get a handle on PC ports. Makes me apprehensive for when they eventually revisit the Ninja Gaiden franchise...

Oh awesome :D
Oh gross.

enbred

Banned
All these negative creeps are reviewing the game with less than an hour of game time on record.

Shifty

All these negative creeps are reviewing the game with less than an hour of game time on record.

Give it a week or so for the pcgamingwiki page to be populated with fixes and stuff. For now I imagine those people are booting it, getting a crash or bad perf, then realising they have no recourse other than to review and refund.

martino

really?...I knew there was no mouse support but there's no KB support at all either???...why even bother releasing it on PC then!!

because pc does not mean obligatory k&m support for open minded people.

but yes options is always best...

martino

So a console game should have no problems releasing without supporting controllers then, on consoles. You know, for them open minded people.

when it's a port and it's working there with the controller the game is made for i'm ok with it. But ms, nintendo and sony are probably not.

Sentenza

yes it does mean basic kb/m support...name me 1 non-indie game that released on PC without kb/m support
Yeah, ok. You are free to care as much as you want.
In the same way I feel free to not give a single minute fuck about keyboard support in a console port of an action game, since I can afford to invest 20 bucks in a basic controller.

And that's precisely what I meant when I said that "mixed reactions" on Steam was a worthless metric as far as I'm concerned.

martino

yes it does mean basic kb/m support...name me 1 non-indie game that released on PC without kb/m support

it's an open platform , you are free to ignore the lazy port...
I'm free to don't mind as to me i will play the game the way it was meant to be played .
I prefer 10 times that to a bad implementation to check it (an good example of it in the other way that comes to mind is grim dawn...what a full controler support !)

TitusTroy

Yeah, ok. You are free to care as much as you want.
In the same way I feel free to not give a single minute fuck about keyboard support in a console port of an action game, since I can afford to invest 20 bucks in a basic controller.

And that's precisely what I meant when I said that "mixed reactions" on Steam was a worthless metric as far as I'm concerned.

you're way too sensitive over this...relax...you can't name any games released on PC without kb/m support because it doesn't exist...and it's not about investing $$ in a controller...I have an Xbox controller but only really use it for PC racing games

JaseC

Oh gross.

I'm not sure if you're making joke, suggesting that now frequenting a different forum is somehow wrong, or implying that I do such a bad job of these threads that posting them elsewhere is a disgusting act. They're not much to look at, I admit, but they are functional, which I think is the important thing.

martino

you're way too sensitive over this...relax...you can't name any games released on PC without kb/m support because it doesn't exist...and it's not about investing $$ in a controller...I have an Xbox controller but only really use it for PC racing games

And if we where only looking to the past we could argue why there is sometimes support for gamepad.
If the game comes as it is , it must tell you publisher have data telling them they can release it like that and make money.

Sentenza

you're way too sensitive over this...relax...
Not sure where you are feeling this "sensitivity" and I'm absolutely relaxed.

you can't name any games released on PC without kb/m support because it doesn't exist
I'm not even trying because I simply don't give a shit. I thought I made that point clear enough.

TitusTroy

If the game comes as it is , it must tell you publisher have data telling them they can release it like that and make money.

no there is no data...the developer is known for porting over PC games poorly...they are not interested in making a quality port

kingbean

If the game runs playably and is controlable then it's fine by me.

If an i5 4690k and a gtx1080 can't run it then it's a pretty shit port. But I haven't seen any reports yet.

I couldn't care less about kb/m support for a title like this. I play almost all of my third person games with a controller. I know that doesn't really help others, but as long as it runs well I'd be happy.

I5 3570k and gtx 1070. Consistent 60fps at 1080p everything maxed except motion blur. I hope someone finds a way to uncap fps because it seems like my CPU is barely being pushed.

_A2

Neo Member
Damn, I had hoped the no mouse support was a sort of miscommunication mistake. I actually have a controller but I am really bad at using it compared to mouse since I always use the mouse. Guess that's a hard pass. I'm pretty sure there would be no outrage if Divinity OS2 would release on consoles as a straight port with keyboard and mouse support only.

Carlius

Banned
bought 7 copies, could care less if it runs like shit, has no mouse support, all i need is a hard game to play. everything is shit now.

snakeybro2389

Neo Member
I'm running it on a 1060 6gb and FX 8350 and getting great performance at 1080p with everything set to high except shadows on medium. Not a bad port at all

This might be off topic, but how do i turn this game easy mode? I played the beta back on ps4 and it frustrated the hell out of me. Someone said something about Sloth but it was patched away apparently.

Top Bottom