• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No PC no buy

Crayon

I can let a piece of hardware sit for a few months without swearing it off forever. Haven't played a game on my pc since november. Played nothing but pc for like 3 months before that. Turned switch on for the first time in 6 months the other week.

That's what having a bunch of hardware is like. Don't be all shocked when you can't play it all all the time.

Buggy Loop

You take your PC to the living room when you wanna do it? Sounds like quite the hassle.

It… can be permanently be plugged in living room, or you know, HDMI cable routed?

I lived 5-6 years with a PC small form factor acting as a console, 100% couch gaming. It simply booted directly into Steam big screen, never saw the desktop during that period.

nikos

This generation of consoles has probably been the worst I can remember.

Sold my XSX early on because there was no reason to keep it as a PC gamer, which is a good thing. I'm glad Microsoft supports PC gaming. I did use it for the occasional co-op game on Game Pass.

PS5 has been collecting dust. I kept it for exclusives but there has been nothing worth playing aside from a handful of games. I let my PS+ sub expire last year for the first time ever.

Switch has appeal but is severely underpowered. The OLED model is pretty nice, at least.

PC gaming keeps getting better. I'm sure this generation isn't as bad for console exclusive gamers, but it's pretty disappointing for someone with a good PC/setup.

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I built a new PC recently and loving the performance and fidelity. I now feel powerful being part of the PC master race.

However, if a game doesn't come out on PC for months or years l don't think l could hold off getting the PS5 version 😒

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Okay. So you only have a PC.... and thus can only play PC games. How's that some sort of threadworthy revelation?

I only game on my PS5. So I have a defacto "No PS5 no buy" policy too, but you don't see me making a thread about that.

Last edited:

captainpat

I feel like the value of consoles demolishes pc but if you have a decently powerful rig it's hard to justify going to consoles. There are so few console exclusives these days and unless you're a super fan of a specific console exclusive franchise waiting a few months to play game isn't really a big deal.

Kenpachii

Home setup:

o0Y3AnZ.jpg

dont mind the shitty tv

New setup:

HPaWQwN.jpg

honestly to much games to play as it is, a few exclusives here and there i can't play but will eventually come down anyway, its fine by me.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I feel like the value of consoles demolishes pc but if you have a decently powerful rig it's hard to justify going to consoles. There are so few console exclusives these days and unless you're a super fan of a specific console exclusive franchise waiting a few months to play game isn't really a big deal.

Depending on sales, i'm not keeping up the list i made over a month ago up to date to see if there's a better "current" deal, but at 777$ with a ~50-60$ case to add to your tastes, in such a shit GPU state of things, its pretty goddamn good. The 6700XT is beefier than Digital Foundry's A770 analysis.

Peoples think that building a PC is requiring a 13900k or a 7900X3D or something, that makes sense if you actually use the PC for something else than gaming and will have a return of investment, or just want to blow money, but a 5600 (approx 12400F in DF video) is plenty enough and dirt cheap.

And you don't pay for online... games are cheaper... tons of amazing mods.. never have to worry about backward compatibility, or losing your library when you change hardware..

I find the value of consoles actually hard to swallow. When i started to lose my libraries because companies didn't support the digital transfers of store bought items to the new gen, or the physical media... and then pay for online... yeah, they pretty much lost me.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
No way Sony doesn't release its multiplayer games on PC day one....Not if they want them to survive and actually have any chance of showing a real ROI anyway.

So, I don't think you will miss out on any Sony Multiplayer games.
If they release them without PC support.....just throw them away now. (Haven studios throw away now)

MS and Sony dont have the power to make an MP game that doesn't support PC.
It will fail.
So even Factions 2(working title) will be a day and date PC release, there arent enough PS5 users who will aboustely keep that game alive.
All GaaS games need community, without it, fuck it.

flying_sq

I'm pretty much PC only now. I have a PS4 Pro that have some saves I am playing through, and a PS3 which will be going soon in favor of emulation. Original Xbox One that I never play anymore. I upgraded my PC during COVID and it's pretty top of the line. My plan is to do what Linus did and run fiber based cables across the house from my PC to my TV. Right now, I have a 3070 laptop that is hooked up to my receiver and TV. Recently started playing Ni No Kuni on it, 4k 60 no problems at all. I tried steamlink via a shield pro, but it is pure garbage.

Once I get the fiber runs done it will be the perfect set up for me. I don't really care about new releases anymore, most games release in various states of broken or have major content updates 6 months later. I wait and then buy on a crazy sale in a year or two anyway. I feel like console gaming is more about a hype train than PC.

I'm pretty much PC only now. I have a PS4 Pro that have some saves I am playing through, and a PS3 which will be going soon in favor of emulation. Original Xbox One that I never play anymore. I upgraded my PC during COVID and it's pretty top of the line. My plan is to do what Linus did and run fiber based cables across the house from my PC to my TV. Right now, I have a 3070 laptop that is hooked up to my receiver and TV. Recently started playing Ni No Kuni on it, 4k 60 no problems at all. I tried steamlink via a shield pro, but it is pure garbage.

Once I get the fiber runs done it will be the perfect set up for me. I don't really care about new releases anymore, most games release in various states of broken or have major content updates 6 months later. I wait and then buy on a crazy sale in a year or two anyway. I feel like console gaming is more about a hype train than PC.
Thats awesome, do you happen to know the name of the video?

Kataploom

Gold Member
So the $500 box needs to blow you away with next gen graphics and next gen gameplay but the $2000 box you are happy to play last gen games at slightly higher rez.
It's about more than that, is about freedom, but following your claims, a $800 PC can actually pull 60+ fps as 4K at high to ultra on any game.

If you want 4K on consoles, you gotta give up frame rates and also otherwise.

There are many remasters that only run at 30 fps officially, on PC you can fix that mostly easily.

In my case, I gave up on moving to consoles because I can't make sure each and every game (old and new) will be played at least at 60 fps.

Switch is my only console though, Nintendo games are just too magical and must of them are 60 fps anyway.

Last edited:

MrStauf

Banned
I bought a PS4Pro just to play RDR2 on, it was a terrible experience, the frames felt like they where in the 15-20fps range in the snow covered areas.
I played the game for 90mins swithed it off and never touched it again, i ended up giving the PS4 to my brother-in law, and waited for the PC version

I've never touched a console again.

Kataploom

Gold Member
We'll seee how you feel after Spider-Man 2 drops.
Why are PS fans always like everyone care about their exclusives? Most PC players are very VERY gameplay driven and Sony games are too cinematic so they have their niche but that's it.

I'll be playing other games I'm more interested in, BTW, I'll play that one some day though. Like... Have you seen how many games are on PC? New and old... PC library is so absurdly big you'll never get bored if you're not FOMO driven that needs to play everything day 1

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i will always prefer ultrawide above 4k+HDR
i can not state enough how much more immersive ultrawide support is bro's

the downside however is occasional stuttering bullshit on great hardware and setting up..

Gaiff

I bought a PS4Pro just to play RDR2 on, it was a terrible experience, the frames felt like they where in the 15-20fps range in the snow covered areas.
I played the game for 90mins swithed it off and never touched it again, i ended up giving the PS4 to my brother-in law, and waited for the PC version

I've never touched a console again.
Why didn't you ever touch a console again? Your PS4 Pro did you a favor by stopping you from playing RDR2. Sounds like a great console to me.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

[/URL]

Depending on sales, i'm not keeping up the list i made over a month ago up to date to see if there's a better "current" deal, but at 777$ with a ~50-60$ case to add to your tastes, in such a shit GPU state of things, its pretty goddamn good. The 6700XT is beefier than Digital Foundry's A770 analysis.

Peoples think that building a PC is requiring a 13900k or a 7900X3D or something, that makes sense if you actually use the PC for something else than gaming and will have a return of investment, or just want to blow money, but a 5600 (approx 12400F in DF video) is plenty enough and dirt cheap.

And you don't per for online... games are cheaper... tons of amazing mods.. never have to worry about backward compatibility, or losing your library when you change hardware..

I find the value of consoles actually hard to swallow. When i started to lose my libraries because companies didn't support the digital transfers of store bought items to the new gen, or the physical media... and then pay for online... yeah, they pretty much lost me.

See that right there is why I like to keep my love PC hardware in one lane, and my love of consoles in another.

Let's be honest, by the time you add the case and add the cost of windows that is a £900 PC.

In my recent thread specifically about downclocking ATVX2 on a 10400F @£95 to get more Core SSE performance for gaming the entire build was just £555 all in (win11Pro inc) and had to settle for my nephew at a RX6500XT and regular SATA3 SSD.

At that type of spend it is cheaper to build with a far better CPU/mobo and just update a budget GPU every 18months. The real budget for a PC without compromises is £1100-1200 IMO.

Budget in PC terms used to be £300-400, and even now with an uplift £600 PCs are PS4 Pro tier by hardware on the GPU side.

Guilty_AI

Let's be honest, by the time you add the case and add the cost of windows that is a £900 PC.
You know, this cost thing is veeery subjective.

If you need to get a pc/laptop anyway, getting an all-in-one device can be very cost-effective when compared to getting a console+good work-exclusive laptop (total budget will be around the $800s at minimum, $700 or $600 if you choose inferior versions of the consoles). I know many people who get a gamer pc/laptop because they need one both for work/study and also want something to play on.

Alternatively, one shouldn't also forget that if you want access to the majority of games on the market currently, you'll be buying at the very least 2 consoles. If you get the cheapest of cheapest models you're already looking into at $600-700 spent, nearing $1000 if you want the better standard versions. Meanwhile on PC you get access to everything xbox has + some PS games + most third party games that exclude one of the consoles for some reason (JP devs normally).

So the real (minus-nintendo) console experience, without compromises, is around $1000. Going up to $1300-1500 if you need to spend money on a computer for other things anyway. And i'm not even including the price of a TV here.

Last edited:

If you need to get a pc/laptop anyway, getting an all-in-one device can be very cost-effective when compared to getting a console+good work-exclusive laptop (total budget will around the $800s at minimum, $700 or $600 if you choose inferior versions of the consoles). I know many people who get a gamer pc/laptop because they need one both for work/study and also want something to play on.

Alternatively, one shouldn't also forget that if you want access to the majority of games on the market currently, you'll be buying at the very least 2 consoles. If you get the cheapest of cheapest models you're already looking into at $600-700 spent, nearing $1000 if you want the better standard versions. Meanwhile on PC you get access to everything xbox has + some PS games + most third party games that exclude one of the consoles for some reason (JP devs normally).

So the real (minus-nintendo) console experience, without compromises, is around $1000. Going up to $1300-1500 if you need to spend money on a computer for other things anyway. And i'm not even including the price of a TV here.

Eh, you can play the vast majority of console games with only one platform. There are only a handful of worthwhile exclusives on either one.

It's not something I'm particularly interested in, but an xbox with gamepass is by far the most economical way to have a great gaming experience these days. Many people could be happy with just that, a few a la carte game purchases, and their phone/a tablet.

Guilty_AI

Eh, you can play the vast majority of console games with only one platform. There are only a handful of worthwhile exclusives on either one.

It's not something I'm particularly interested in, but an xbox with gamepass is by far the most economical way to have a great gaming experience these days. Many people could be happy with just that, a few a la carte game purchases, and their phone/a tablet.
But you also miss out on plenty of JP releases 🤷‍♂️

As i said, its very subjective.

PaintTinJr

If you need to get a pc/laptop anyway, getting an all-in-one device can be very cost-effective when compared to getting a console+good work-exclusive laptop (total budget will be around the $800s at minimum, $700 or $600 if you choose inferior versions of the consoles). I know many people who get a gamer pc/laptop because they need one both for work/study and also want something to play on.

In the UK, budget typically gets used to imply entry pricing to something, budget car, budget laptop, etc and budget PC meant the same. If the typical person can not afford that budget, and going by the target pricing of budget pre-built computers in electrical stores the £250-600 price bracket hits the majority of consumers looking for "budget" IMO.

Guilty_AI

In the UK, budget typically gets used to imply entry pricing to something, budget car, budget laptop, etc and budget PC meant the same. If the typical person can not afford that budget, and going by the target pricing of budget pre-built computers in electrical stores the £250-600 price bracket hits the majority of consumers looking for "budget" IMO.
In that case, the actual 'entry-price' budget pc would be around $600, everything such as windows included. A machine in the range of the gtx 1650 can play pretty much anything on the market, including next-gen only games like Returnal, even if not at the best IQ performance possible.

But since we're talking about entry-prices here with compromises - as you would also have to compromise by getting only one console instead of two - its a perfectly acceptable alternative.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

See that right there is why I like to keep my love PC hardware in one lane, and my love of consoles in another.

It was $777 USD as of last night. Like i said, deals, prices fluctuate and i'm just re-using the template without changing to the current deals.

How do you go from £632 to £900 for a case and windows

Crayon

In my recent thread specifically about downclocking ATVX2 on a 10400F @£95 to get more Core SSE performance for gaming the entire build was just £555 all in (win11Pro inc) and had to settle for my nephew at a RX6500XT and regular SATA3 SSD.

At that type of spend it is cheaper to build with a far better CPU/mobo and just update a budget GPU every 18months. The real budget for a PC without compromises is £1100-1200 IMO.

Budget in PC terms used to be £300-400, and even now with an uplift £600 PCs are PS4 Pro tier by hardware on the GPU side.

That and maybe practice what you preach buying that arc card....

I live the reality of the reasonably priced pc ($600-$700) and I love it but it comes up a little shy of the ps5 in performance. I'm going to have a playstation anyway and it's the target for the heaviest games. It would only cost a little more to match it, but a ton more to bury it pcmr style.

I lean pc but consoles are very good for the money rn, deal with it.

PaintTinJr

It was $777 USD as of last night. Like i said, deals, prices fluctuate and i'm just re-using the template without changing to the current deals.

How do you go from £632 to £900 for a case and windows
I clicked on your link, selected GBP currency and the website found all those parts at the cheapest prices in the EU, which came to around £800, a decent case like the Corsair Carbide Delta RGB + Windows 10 Pro license is another +£100 at cheapest pricing I found for my nephew recently. But I would have happily changed the £ to $ and been happy with it being $900 versus $550 in your region of the world as the same comparison. VAT + shipping + markup on PC parts makes them effectively pounds for dollars if we are lucky

MikeM

Why are PS fans always like everyone care about their exclusives? Most PC players are very VERY gameplay driven and Sony games are too cinematic so they have their niche but that's it.

I'll be playing other games I'm more interested in, BTW, I'll play that one some day though. Like... Have you seen how many games are on PC? New and old... PC library is so absurdly big you'll never get bored if you're not FOMO driven that needs to play everything day 1
Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

flying_sq

I clicked on your link, selected GBP currency and the website found all those parts at the cheapest prices in the EU, which came to around £800, a decent case like the Corsair Carbide Delta RGB + Windows 10 Pro license is another +£100 at cheapest pricing I found for my nephew recently. But I would have happily changed the £ to $ and been happy with it being $900 versus $550 in your region of the world as the same comparison. VAT + shipping + markup on PC parts makes them effectively pounds for dollars if we are lucky
Just use G2A and get windows for like $30 USD. I use it for MS Office licenses all the time.

It's about more than that, is about freedom, but following your claims, a $800 PC can actually pull 60+ fps as 4K at high to ultra on any game.

If you want 4K on consoles, you gotta give up frame rates and also otherwise.

There are many remasters that only run at 30 fps officially, on PC you can fix that mostly easily.

In my case, I gave up on moving to consoles because I can't make sure each and every game (old and new) will be played at least at 60 fps.

Switch is my only console though, Nintendo games are just too magical and must of them are 60 fps anyway.
What $800 pc is getting 4k/60 in cyberpunk or a plague tale or even halo infinite?

But there are also other factors. Not everyone wants or needs a computer at all and lots of people prefer Mac.

I’m not getting an inferior experience on a laptop just so I can play games on it.

Of course price is subjective but you can go pulling the tv bullshit on the console side.

Build me a PC that can perform as well as a PS5, include a controller, new with warranty, etc and cost $400. You can’t.

I love PC but these price arguments are always and will always be retarded.

Top Bottom