• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No PC no buy

Guilty_AI

But there are also other factors. Not everyone wants or needs a computer at all and lots of people prefer Mac.

I’m not getting an inferior experience on a laptop just so I can play games on it.

Of course price is subjective but you can go pulling the tv bullshit on the console side.

Build me a PC that can perform as well as a PS5, include a controller, new with warranty, etc and cost $400. You can’t.

I love PC but these price arguments are always and will always be retarded.
But some do need one and some want/don't mind windows

Many people don't care about an 'inferior experience', often have specific games/types of games in mind that they want

As i said, too many factors that make these arguments very much not-retarded.

Last edited:
But some do need one and some want/don't mind windows

Many people don't care about an 'inferior experience', often have specific games/types of games in mind that they want

As i said, too many factors that make these arguments very much not-retarded.
Game preference could land you on either side of the “argument” however.

The price argument is only used to reinforce whatever side somebody wants to argue for.

If the only thing somebody wants to play is FIFA and COD then it would be stupid to waste extra money. Just buy a PS5 for $400.

Likewise if all you want to play is Valorant or CS then why buy a console?

The reason I mentioned the tv thing is somebody is always like well you gotta have a tv to use a console but you gotta have some sort of display on pc as well and both can be played on either a monitor or tv.

The only time a price comparison makes sense is when they are even. So for a comparison to a PS5 you would need to be $400 with a controller and a 1 year warranty and no used parts.

It’s about preference. Some people just want a console. Some want the flexibility of pc. Some don’t care about esports titles. Some don’t care about 3rd person action games.

PaintTinJr

Just use G2A and get windows for like $30 USD. I use it for MS Office licenses all the time.
In my recent AVX2 ratio offset thread (first spoiler) there is list of the parts and the prices my nephew paid for them, and the pcpartpicker.com list to see what the build would cost in your region, now.
But that was the cost of both the Case and Windows 10 Pro x86/x64 from Kinguin after checkout with their 2 surcharges added and to get the online activation version at £35

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/redu...on-2-9ghz-4-3ghz-boost-core-i5-10400.1654498/

Buggy Loop

What $800 pc is getting 4k/60 in cyberpunk or a plague tale or even halo infinite?

Which consoles does?

Again, refer to digital foundry video, this shit is getting tiring. EQUIVALENT console settings are in that range of price.

Paying for online in the 5-6 years of use, is that not an adder for the basic prices of consoles? You’re trading cheap hardware price for shit digital stores where they squeeze the most money out of you with no competing stores. You end up paying more in a 5-6 years period, I guarantee it.

PaintTinJr

Which consoles does?

Again, refer to digital foundry video, this shit is getting tiring. EQUIVALENT console settings are in that range of price.

Paying for online in the 5-6 years of use, is that not an adder for the basic prices of consoles? You’re trading cheap hardware price for shit digital stores where they squeeze the most money out of you with no competing stores. You end up paying more in a 5-6 years period, I guarantee it.
That's a catch 22, though. On PC we can no longer buy physical - cheap or otherwise - and I've struggled to convert my love of buying physical games on PC and console in to one of buying digitally on any platform. In 20 odd years my Steam library has 2 games I've bought, and one of those was HL2 that I bought on disc and then installed for 1hour, and then waited hours and hours while it downloaded the entire disc again from steam over my fast 1/4Mbit/s broadband connection before I could even start the game.

I love PC hardware for gaming, but I don't like the delivery or sales method on PC at all, or the curation of every store looking like its filled with old content, FTP or indie, just taking all the shine off of the occasional brand new high production games.

Guilty_AI

Game preference could land you on either side of the “argument” however.

The price argument is only used to reinforce whatever side somebody wants to argue for.

If the only thing somebody wants to play is FIFA and COD then it would be stupid to waste extra money. Just buy a PS5 for $400.

Likewise if all you want to play is Valorant or CS then why buy a console?

The reason I mentioned the tv thing is somebody is always like well you gotta have a tv to use a console but you gotta have some sort of display on pc as well and both can be played on either a monitor or tv.

The only time a price comparison makes sense is when they are even. So for a comparison to a PS5 you would need to be $400 with a controller and a 1 year warranty and no used parts.

It’s about preference. Some people just want a console. Some want the flexibility of pc. Some don’t care about esports titles. Some don’t care about 3rd person action games.
Thats why i've been saying all this time "it depends", "its subjective".

My argument here is against the idea to play on consoles all you need is a $500 machine and PCs are minimum $1200 investment, while completely disregarding circumstances and player preferences.

Wanna access to everything or almost everything coming out as a console player? Its not $500, its $1000.
Wanna play PC games and doesn't care about high graphics performance? Its not $1200, its $600.

Marchizmo

Joining Welcome Home GIF

Kataploom

Gold Member
What $800 pc is getting 4k/60 in cyberpunk or a plague tale or even halo infinite?
My bad, add $60more and there you go, that's $860,47 for you, this PC can run basically all games at 4K 60 fps, some like Cyberpunk or A Plague Tale must rely on FSR and/or play at mid/high settings, but that's it.

PC is getting cheaper, you know? those > over $1200 are built for high FPS and/or Ultra settings, yet you can play at a Quality mode IQ + Performance frame rate on a much cheaper PC.

Once we reach the end of the year, these prices lower even more.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07STGGQ18/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XVH9Y3/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820233859
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-radeon-rx-6800-gv-r68gaming-oc-16gd/p/N82E16814932382
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/thermaltake-versa-micro-atx-tower-case-black/6353123.p
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014W3EAX8/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HKDQ1RN/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://m.whokeys.com/software/p201609081840431227.html

Consumer

I have a similar motto, no plat no buy.

If a game doesn't have a platinum trophy, I'll wait until it does - even if it takes 18 years to get one, like in the case with RE4 😁

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Why are PS fans always like everyone care about their exclusives? Most PC players are very VERY gameplay driven and Sony games are too cinematic so they have their niche but that's it.

I'll be playing other games I'm more interested in, BTW, I'll play that one some day though. Like... Have you seen how many games are on PC? New and old... PC library is so absurdly big you'll never get bored if you're not FOMO driven that needs to play everything day 1

My PS5 is gathering dust because of my PC, but it won't be when SM2 comes along, that's the point. Wanting to play new games isn't FOMO. We'll see what happens to OP by the time September rolls around because it'll be the first massive PS5 game he won't be playing on PC for a while.

Buggy Loop

My PS5 is gathering dust because of my PC, but it won't be when SM2 comes along, that's the point. Wanting to play new games isn't FOMO. We'll see what happens to OP by the time September rolls around because it'll be the first massive PS5 game he won't be playing on PC for a while.

Baldur’s Gate 3, aka likely the GOTY is on PC around that time and Starfield

The Rock Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Baldur’s Gate 3, aka likely the GOTY is on PC around that time and Starfield

The Rock Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah don't remind me, no idea what I'm gonna do come September. Not three games I wanna play simultaneously.

My point was, OP already owned a PS5 which means he was clearly quite interested in Sony blockbusters at one point. We've not had any PS5 only blockbusters yet which is probably why he's felt some disappointment, but SM2 might change that for him when it drops and gets rave reviews.

Kataploom

Gold Member
But what if he doesn't care about Sony games? That's the thing, PS players act like people on PC should somehow suffering to play those exclusives because, "well, they ARE the Sony exclusives, of course" or something like that...

AV

But what if he doesn't care about Sony games? That's the thing, PS players act like people on PC should somehow suffering to play those exclusives because, "well, they ARE the Sony exclusives, of course" or something like that...

What, the guy that already bought a PS5? Of course he cares about Sony games, his issue is that most are getting ported now anyway and he can wait. That's fine, I was just saying that SM2 will be the first proper PS5 blockbuster and his opinion might change come September.

"PS players" don't act like anything, much like I wouldn't say that "PC players" all have to immediately jump to defending how gameplay driven they are and how many old games they have access to.

Inanilmaz

No PC no buy hell yeah🔥

Im playing: (only counting the games that were available after 1year on PC, not later, +no emulation)
Ratchet and Clank
Ghost of Tsushima
Infamous
Until Dawn
Fist of the North Star
Shadow of the Colossus remake
LocoRoco Remastered (underrated btw)
Astro Bot VR
And soon right after Release probably Spiderman 2 and Wolverine 💪

All on my new 3000$ pc setup with QuestPro VR. &Dont need to buy psplus yearly(39$) so that's another huge advantage.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I am trying to ditch Sony. I don't need their exclusives day 1 and I hate the idea of spending 600 or so to buy a system and controller to supplement my PCs. I will still want Nintendo games and so far I still have my stupid PS5, but PC with gamepass and other games is more than enough.

I have PCs hooked up to 2 TVs in the house. The consoles are a pain in the ass because it requires switching inputs for one game for a few days or weeks only.

Kataploom

Gold Member
What, the guy that already bought a PS5? Of course he cares about Sony games, his issue is that most are getting ported now anyway and he can wait. That's fine, I was just saying that SM2 will be the first proper PS5 blockbuster and his opinion might change come September.

"PS players" don't act like anything, much like I wouldn't say that "PC players" all have to immediately jump to defending how gameplay driven they are and how many old games they have access to.
Oh ok, that's another matter then

iQuasarLV

I clicked on your link, selected GBP currency and the website found all those parts at the cheapest prices in the EU, which came to around £800, a decent case like the Corsair Carbide Delta RGB + Windows 10 Pro license is another +£100 at cheapest pricing I found for my nephew recently. But I would have happily changed the £ to $ and been happy with it being $900 versus $550 in your region of the world as the same comparison. VAT + shipping + markup on PC parts makes them effectively pounds for dollars if we are lucky
Do not ever, EvaR pay $100 or more for a windows license. Please god do not do it.

iQuasarLV

That and maybe practice what you preach buying that arc card....

I live the reality of the reasonably priced pc ($600-$700) and I love it but it comes up a little shy of the ps5 in performance. I'm going to have a playstation anyway and it's the target for the heaviest games. It would only cost a little more to match it, but a ton more to bury it pcmr style.

I lean pc but consoles are very good for the money rn, deal with it.
Here is the thing. Buy top or near top of the line one time and just upgrade the video card every four years. You can get upwards of 10 years out of that PC before you are forced to replace the entire thing. The cost of ownership over time is the same as a console, but you get much better graphics output and flexibility. Once you figure in all the additional costs of the closed environment that consoles have the PC wins out in value.

PaintTinJr

Do not ever, EvaR pay $100 or more for a windows license. Please god do not do it.
It was only ~£35 of that +£100, £75 was for the Corsair Carbide Delta-Spec RGB case (containing 4 high quality case fans). :)
For a Retail License of Windows 10/11 Pro I probably would pay close to £100 if that was an option.

Crayon

Here is the thing. Buy top or near top of the line one time and just upgrade the video card every four years. You can get upwards of 10 years out of that PC before you are forced to replace the entire thing. The cost of ownership over time is the same as a console, but you get much better graphics output and flexibility. Once you figure in all the additional costs of the closed environment that consoles have the PC wins out in value.

I think I do about that good buying good deals more often. I just picked up a 6600xt for 200 (used) after keeping my eye out for a good deal and got 3 years out of an 8gb 570 (new). Likwise just went from a $130 2600 after 3 years to a $150 5600. Etc. I like that it keeps power consumption low, too. Admittedly, more of an aesthetic consideration for me.

Last edited:
No PC no buy hell yeah🔥

Im playing: (only counting the games that were available after 1year on PC, not later)
Ratchet and Clank
Ghost of Tsushima
Infamous
Until Dawn
Fist of the North Star
Shadow of the Colossus remake
LocoRoco Remastered (underrated btw)
Astro Bot VR
And soon right after Release probably Spiderman 2 and Wolverine 💪

All on my new 3000$ pc setup with QuestPro VR. &Dont need to buy psplus yearly(39$) so that's another huge advantage.

Wow, emulation is truly amazing, and it pays for itself in only 6 and a half years.

Danknugz

i bought XSX this gen but not as a gift for someone who doesn't have time for PC (in their words) since they have a family and kids.

i have a hand me down xbox one x that I use now and then and ps2, ps3 sitting in the closet.

Top Bottom