• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noclip: How Arkane Studios designed Prey - documentary

Bartski

Gold Member
They didn't really want it to be called Prey just like they didn't want to call a game Dark Messiah of Might and Magic earlier which was forced upon them by Ubisoft. Good stuff, watching now.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The fact this thread was completely ignored deeply saddens me. Prey despite the good word of mouth is still largely overlooked.

Don't sleep on this game. It's the most immersive game ever made if you play it as developers intended. It's also one of the best designed maps / levels / worlds ever in a video game.

My tips on how to get into and fall in love with this game:
  1. Play on the highest difficulty level (Nightmare).
  2. Play with all survival options ON.
  3. Disable waypoints / HUD markers. The game is 100% playable like that thanks to very real-life like level design (signs on walls etc.).
  4. Don't install Psychoscope mod that enables you to detect Mimics.
  5. Look around, below and above you. There are secrets everywhere and multiple way to deal with a problem.
  6. Read terminals and listen to audio-logs to discover all sort of smaller stories of the crew of Talos I.
  7. Don't rush. The main story is there just to get you from area to area. It's nothing special. It's the little stories that matter in this game.
  8. Combat in this game is not about shooting. Scan your enemies with Psychoscope and learn their weaknesses. It's more like a puzzle than anything else.
  9. Optionally, keep a pen and paper close to you and write down names and connections between crew members. I'm terrible with names so this helped me.
Playing on PC is also highly advised as this shortens the loading times between different sections of the space station. Higher FOV also helps a lot with scanning your environment.

Top Bottom