• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noih 2 after Nioh 1?

Vognerful

So I have been playing Nioh Complete edition for a while and I kinda like it. I was wondering if the experience between Nioh 1 & 2 is significant that it feels like new experience and the gameplay want stall quickly.

So, should I finish Nioh and jump to Nioh 2? or jump immediately?

Or do I stop at end of Nioh 1?

Last edited:

Banned
NiOh 1 is amazing, and what I played of NiOh 2 so far is amazing too...

but they're not that different. I really don't think it matters which one you play or play first. I would simply play through NiOh 1 first, and if you then want more go to NiOh 2

I think it took me 50h to complete the first game. haven't finished the second one yet so i don't know how long that is.

but yeah, I wouldn't even think about this stuff and just play the first one until you're either finished or burned out. the second one has new mechanics to keep things a bit fresh but that's about it

Reizo Ryuu

Nioh 2 is fantastic, it refines and streamlines it to a point where I feel this is the game they wanted to make initially.
The new weapons are also just great, can't imagine playing nioh without the fists or staff anymore.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'd personally get burnt out if I jumped straight from 1 to 2. Take a break between them, but definitely check out 2 eventually.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Nioh 2 in terms of mission structure and gameplay is very much similar to Nioh 1. Soul core and Yokai skills add you flavor to some extent.
If you really dig the combat system you will have fun with Nioh 2.

However, the real deal for the series is the end game content, aka, loot and build system. It really gives a different experience when you playing on NG+5 compared to new game. The loop was very addictive to me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nah. Nioh 2 plays significantly differently.

Nioh is relatively straightforward insofar as its all about triggering the living weapons and bursting enemies down whilst in that mode.

Nioh2's equivalent, Yokai shift, is way less powerful as a dps boost and acts more like a desperation move in order to save yourself. The key to success generally in combat is triggering and maintaining stagger on the enemies using complementary elemental attacks, whilst employing your loadout of yokai abilities (think Blue magic from FF) in order to do burst damage, stuns, interrupts and self-buffs.

On top of that the Souls-like corpse-run element is massively reduced making it much more of a traditional action-RPG where the key to success is understanding the mechanics and elemental interactions.

Objectively, the wheel isn't reinvented by the sequel, but if you try to play it in the same style as the first game you will find it way harder than it should be.

The only thing I'd say Nioh has an advantage in is that its environments feel more distinctly themed. Its not that Nioh 2 has less variety (it has more of everything) just that most areas in it tend to comprise multiple themed sections, so they tend to feel less based around a specific gimmick.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
NiOh 1 has the inferior Yokai compared to NiOh 2. NiOh 2 is far superior. NiOh 1 is good for its bosses and the plot. However, you will see inferior enemy models on each map compared to 2. They have similar Yokai in each game because it is Japanese mythology. I honestly would jump into NiOh 2 first. NiOh 1 has some very good high points, but you don’t want to get burned out before you get to NiOh 2. I honestly think NiOh 2 has the best bosses, enemies, and world map. It has better weapons and skills. Overall NiOh 1 is more about its novelty, but NiOh 2 destroys it in a lot of ways.

Last edited:
Nioh 2 is a better game, but not that significantly. They're both good and worth playing to competition. Playing them back to back might be a bit much, as they aren't short games.

junguler

Banned
i wouldn't play them back to back because despite having some differences, they eventually feel the same at the end. if you still need a souls like fix in the meantime you might want to give the surge 2 a try, it's amazing and quite different from the other souls like games i have played in the past.

i wouldn't play them back to back because despite having some differences, they eventually feel the same at the end. if you still need a souls like fix in the meantime you might want to give the surge 2 a try, it's amazing and quite different from the other souls like games i have played in the past.
I second this. The surge games definitely scratched the souls itch in a way Nioh 1 isn't for me right now owing to mission structure and exploration of the environments.
The first Surge game is the better in some aspects like tone.
Is it worth playing the sub missions in Nioh?
Thanks

slade

From what I have played of Nioh 2 so far, up to start of region 3, it has been a lot easier than Nioh 1 and mostly because of the Burst Counters. I gave up on Nioh 1 when they started throwing double bosses at me. So far, I have not struggled nearly as much on Nioh 2. They are similar though and unless you want more of the same, you may burn yourself out.

Been having doubts about this as well. I played Nioh 1 all the way to Way Of The Nioh, completed all missions on all difficulties, even did some of the Abyss, but after 300+ hours I'm burned out.

If Nioh 2 is that similar, I guess I'm better off giving a few months before jumping into it.

junguler

Banned
I second this. The surge games definitely scratched the souls itch in a way Nioh 1 isn't for me right now owing to mission structure and exploration of the environments.
Thanks
i made the mistake of playing surge 2 first and now it seems a little hard to go back to the first game because i hear the second game has improved many aspects of the first game. i do want to play it at some point tho, maybe when there is a souls like drought ...

the sub missions in nioh/2 are usually not that important unless there is a gear item you might want or you want to collect those little mushroom things that add to your passive bonuses. they do a pretty good job at randomizing the enemies and weather system and other little details to make it worth your time imo.

I have platinum in Nioh but Nioh 2 demo kicked my ass big time, especially that snake and everything seemed so much harder and complicated with those dimensional shifts. I know I got rusty but man do you need to commit to those games or what.

Nioh was spectacular, better than any Souls game if we’re gonna be honest.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I have platinum in Nioh but Nioh 2 demo kicked my ass big time, especially that snake and everything seemed so much harder and complicated with those dimensional shifts. I know I got rusty but man do you need to commit to those games or what.

Nioh was spectacular, better than any Souls game if we’re gonna be honest.

Nioh 2 is actually easier for the most part than the first game, but only once you get your head around the changes in the combat system.
These changes are to be fair quite easy to overlook, particularly if you've got a lot of hours experience in the first game. Initially it might appear like the additions are just built on top of the older systems but the key as it turns out is the way things interact.

Its kinda shocking that especially in later game cycles, you can swap between gear that seem to have similar stats and levels and suddenly gain or lose tons of performance based on how things mesh together. Basically, no one buff or effect is that strong by itself so you need to figure out which stack and which cancel out.

Last edited:

Vognerful

Thanks
I finished The Surge 1 long ago. I stopped early on in the surge 2 because I could't beet the first (or the second boss?), the robot with drug junky. I felt that this game was easily but suffered the same problem as first one which is the bosses can easily 1-hit-KO you which frustrated me. I tried many times and couldn't beat him at all.

junguler

Banned
I finished The Surge 1 long ago. I stopped early on in the surge 2 because I could't beet the first (or the second boss?), the robot with drug junky. I felt that this game was easily but suffered the same problem as first one which is the bosses can easily 1-hit-KO you which frustrated me. I tried many times and couldn't beat him at all.
i can't beat any souls like boss even if my life depended on it, i usually just use cheat engine to get passed them. for me the appeal is not the difficulty but the precision in movement and variety in play styles and gear selection.

Reizo Ryuu

Nioh 2 demo kicked my ass big time, especially that snake and everything seemed so much harder and complicated with those dimensional shifts.
Did you destroy the statues that drain the poison in that area? Yatsu no kami (snake) is 1000% easier without having to worry about stepping in poison.

Did you destroy the statues that drain the poison in that area? Yatsu no kami (snake) is 1000% easier without having to worry about stepping in poison.
Nah, didn’t have patience tbh, I’m waiting for the appropriate time to buy the game and fully commit to it. It’s the only way to be successful in it I think.

Top Bottom