• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia's first-ever gaming controller '5000GC' leaked on retail platforms before its official launch.

https://www.thetechoutlook.com/news...fficial-platforms-before-its-official-launch/
Nokia is rumored to launch its first-ever game controller in the market but there is no official announcement made related to the release date. Recently the Nokia Game Controller 5000 leaked on official and retailer platforms ahead of its launch. Though the listing has now been hidden earlier the game controller was also listed by StreamView which is a Nokia brand licensee, on their official website.

Leaked Specifications of Nokia Game Controller 5000​

The game controller comes with haptic feedback for a realistic gaming experience and offers 6 axis gyroscope for intuitive control and rapid direction changes. It comes with 14-hour battery life, to provide enhanced comfort for longer use and the battery can be fully recharged via USB-C in two hours. The Nokia GC5000 can be paired with Android TVs, Android streaming devices, and Android smartphones. It also features a button to talk to Google Assistant to help gamers search for games and navigate through the menu. It is ergonomically designed and also provides a better grip during gaming.
The other features of the Nokia GC5000 include Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity and a microphone. The battery capacity is 650mAh and a USB adaptor is included in the packaging.

Launch & Pricing of Nokia Game Controller 5000​

There are no details about the official release date of the product but the launch could be expected to be imminent. As far as the pricing is concerned Nokia Game Controller 5000 was listed by a retailer with a $57 price tag.
20230214_154122_00001.jpg

jpg_20230214_153500_00001.jpg

jpg_20230214_153534_00001.jpg

Nokia is about to release their first-ever gaming controller and it has apparently been leaked by online platforms.

The controller is for Android compatible hardware and services though so it won't work with your game console. 2hr charge, 14 hours battery-life, 6-axis gyro,

Seems like every company is jumping in on gaming these days. The controller does seem decent though if you are interested in android/mobile gaming, it doesn't look at first glance to be a cheap thrown together built, but we won't know for sure until the videos come out.

Nokia's latest smartphone offerings have been pretty solid as well (though a bit costly above the plastic entry-level)

nowhat

It only uses Nokia name, company called StreamView or something like that is licensing the Nokia name for their TVs and now this controller.

HMD global licenses Nokia name for mobile phones.
Yeah, this. Nokia corporation is all (only) about wireless networks, you know, the boring stuff.

Everything else like this is just licensing off the brand out of... desperation? Lack of funds? Not giving a fuck? I don't know anymore.

(I have a N900 in storage and I weep)

Yeah, this. Nokia corporation is all (only) about wireless networks, you know, the boring stuff.

Everything else like this is just licensing off the brand out of... desperation? Lack of funds? Not giving a fuck? I don't know anymore.

(I have a N900 in storage and I weep)
N900💙 i rooted, overclocked and undervolted mine.

It's prob bit of all you listed, Nokia is still a consumer brand that is recognized, but probably as they themselves have no aspiration on consumer market they can just license the name and hope it doesn't have any negative effect on the wireless business.

Last edited:

nowhat

N900💙 i overclocked and undervolted mine.
You sir, are a man of culture. I think the whole Maemo/Meego saga was one of the greatest "what if"s in tech. What it could have been... but alas, Nokia's leadership at the time decided to go with Stephen Elop and Windows Phone, and the rest, as they say, is history. Not in a particularly good way.

Drew1440

Really should have called it N-Gage, would have been a nice throwback to the original model.
Or maybe there reserving that for an upcoming Android handheld console?
Regardless id say this controller is to complement their Android TV set-top boxes, so it's sort of like the Nvidia Shield TV.

It only uses Nokia name, company called StreamView or something like that is licensing the Nokia name for their TVs and now this controller.

HMD global licenses Nokia name for mobile phones.
Their phones are pretty good though a bit underpowered compared to other entry-level models, you do get the stock Android experience with them. My Nokia T20 tablet's been ok so far.

spons

Gold Member
Nokia is somewhat like Philips, in that a dozen Chinese companies now make products using their name.
Both used to be innovative and good, but nowadays there are better options.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Man, i just wish there was a controller that let you implement your own protocol, so I could create a protocol to connect to wii u.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Those are their Stadia controllers they repainted since Google said you can keep yours after the service's end.
controller-1x.webp

Last edited:

stranno

Really should have called it N-Gage, would have been a nice throwback to the original model.
They already re-used the N-Gage brand for the Nokia S60v3 platform. The so-called N-Gage 2.0, which was actually called just N-Gage (Service).

BlackTron

If it worked on PC at least, then MAYBE if you really needed a gyro controller that syncs easily with Xbox button layout....since MS still doesn't even have gyro, bizarrely.

But it's just Android and that stick placement...who is this for?

nowhat

I thought Nokia was killed some time after they were acquired by MS. What did Nokia do in the recent years?
They're one of the main suppliers of 5G networks along with Ericsson and Huawei. If you make a cell phone call (or use mobile data) right now, most likely it will go through equipment from one of those three companies. It's not a "sexy" business, but it is and was their core competence.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Basically Nokia only in name these days. What, HMD Global is a meager 900 employees now I think. Several of my coworkers are former Nokia employees from their successful days btw. There's a lot of skilled Finnish competence out there stemming from old Nokia, the Finnish tech culture was shot in the foot by the failures of the Nokia management, but it's still alive and active through other means.

Top Bottom